Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    Its unsettling.

Is it a genuine concern for the vunerable or is it a personal fear for ones own health?

Hard to know, they never want to consider the negatives of this, mental health, houses not being built to solve the housing crisis etc. etc.

Just keep the lockdown going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Have you got an answer about the Blitz? You said some people would rather it was the Blitz, what people?

I thought it was clear the first time, I removed the Blitz reference the second time to make it easier for you to understand. Just in case you missed it:

Some people would almost rather it was the Blitz, it's not in most human's nature to sit idle and do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Its unsettling.

Is it a genuine concern for the vunerable or is it a personal fear for ones own health?

Some of us don’t want Ireland to become the next Italy. There’s no big mystery or need for psychoanalysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭growleaves

Some people would almost rather it was the Blitz, it's not in most human's nature to sit idle and do nothing.

Everything in Britain was kept open during the Blitz - theatre, opera, live sports, schools, exams - despite that hunkering down in air raid shelters would have been guaranteed to save lives.

I agree that enervating passivity is anti-human and the people who claim it is "easy" to live like secluded lab mice as against some more heroic sacrifice are missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You are doing ok thankfully . There are people out there so stressed because their mam or dad or nana are in a care home and they cannot see them or comfort them.
    There are eldery people feeling extremely lonely and their home help are not cominh to help out .
    There are older people in care home fretting because they cannot see their loved ones . Some have dementia and very dependant on a familiar face
    My own mother died in early February and she was incredibly dependent on seeing her family two , three , four times a day . I am very grateful she is not there to suffer this separation .But others are suffering

I am doing ok too , I have a husband , a garden , plenty to do , plenty to eat
    But am very aware of the stress on others and the fact that some children and some women are living in fear in violent situations . Not everyone is as lucky as you and I
    GazzaL wrote: »
    Some people would almost rather it was the Blitz, it's not in most human's nature to sit idle and do nothing. And many people can't see their families because they're not allowed to travel more than 2km from their residence. The longer the lockdown goes on, the more people will dodge the restrictions, similar to Prohibition. Some of you mightn't like that, but that's reality.

I'm not too sure about that, I can't stand not travelling more than 2km from home but would rather be under complete house arrest than having hundreds of Luftwaffe bombers flying overhead each night dropping hundreds of tons of bombs all around me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

I have read about it. There were only restrictions put in place in 1919 once the war was over and by then the damage was done and it was too late.
    Have you ever seen those old films of the crowds celebrating the armistice in Nov 1918 when the second wave was at its peak?

So restrictions were placed in 1919 but it wasn't too late as it saved millions of lives. Glad to see you back tracking from your first reply and acknowledge that restrictions back then were seen as the only way to solve the problem and they worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I thought it was clear the first time, I removed the Blitz reference the second time to make it easier for you to understand. Just in case you missed it:

Okay so no actual real people just some made up people in your own head, i get you.

Thanks for the response. Enjoy the Ryanair flight btw :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Exactly why are we not seeing a crazy amount of deaths in Sweden using these same models.

We already are. They have 919 deaths out of 10,948 cases. That's a huge death rate of 8%. They have another 900 in serious or critical condition at the moment.

They haven't a clue whats out there because they have not been testing. They also haven't a clue what they are doing as their chief epidemiologist is advocating herd immunity of which their is no proof, a program that would require a vacine which is not available.

Half of Stockholm are working from home anyway and social distancing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

KiKi III wrote: »
    Some of us don’t want Ireland to become the next Italy. There’s no big mystery or need for psychoanalysis.

We would need an extra 14.4 million people in the over 65 category to become Italy.

I think there is a danger the the restrictions will be falsely credited with having a greater effect on the effects of the virus than our population stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

When people were banned from having a beer, people dodged the restrictions, people still drank beer.

Here, people are being banned from being able to earn a living, banned from being able to see family and friends in person. Do you think people will live like that indefinitely? Or would they dodge the restrictions?

If they dodge the restrictions they should be prosecuted and/or fined. People who do that against expert advice are selfish.

When do you want all restrictions lifted?

• Advertisement

And we'd murder for a bit of sun. In all seriousness why are you comparing Ireland to a developing country?

What comparisons have I made exactly??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭growleaves

When people were banned from having a beer, people dodged the restrictions, people still drank beer.

Here, people are being banned from being able to earn a living, banned from being able to see family and friends in person. Do you think people will live like that indefinitely? Or would they dodge the restrictions?

First they came for the beer-drinkers, and I did not speak out—
    Because I preferred a chardonnay.

Seriously though, if they try to turn these restrictions into some semi-permanent aspect of "normal" life expect non-compliance from anyone who isn't completely broken-spirited.

We would need an extra 14.4 million people in the over 65 category to become Italy.

I think there is a danger the the restrictions will be falsely credited with having a greater effect on the effects of the virus than our population stats.

That is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

If they dodge the restrictions they should be prosecuted and/or fined. People who do that against expert advice are selfish.

When do you want all restrictions lifted?

Before the start of next month for his holiday with Ryanair

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

While I understand that people want to get back to normality, the level at which people want to risk their lives in here is incredible. You know you're not just going to resume your old life? You're eventually going to be slaving dawn to dusk again, but without even the "perk" of being able to do the things you enjoy. What on earth is the rush? Do you hate your life so much, is work your only fulfillment?

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Okay so no actual real people just some made up people in your own head, i get you.

Thanks for the response. Enjoy the Ryanair flight btw :rolleyes:

You're rattled :pac:

That is incorrect.

Ok

I wouldn’t like to become the next Spain or UK either.

Is there not any part of you that’s glad the restrictions are resulting in a lower death rate here?

Are you really so desperate to get back to “normal” after just 2.5 weeks that you’d accept a death rate double what it is now?

Sorry to quote myself, but I'm genuinely surprised that I had to explain something so basic to someone who calls themselves "Professor" :D

That is incorrect.

I didn’t know where to begin with correcting that mathematical error :s

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

growleaves wrote: »
    Everything in Britain was kept open during the Blitz - theatre, opera, live sports, schools, exams - despite that hunkering down in air raid shelters would have been guaranteed to save lives.

I agree that enervating passivity is anti-human and the people who claim it is "easy" to live like secluded lab mice as against some more heroic sacrifice are missing something.

Well there it is folks, "EVERYTHING WAS OPEN IN THE BLITZ THEREFOR ALL RESTRICTIONS ARE NOW LIFTED GG"

easypazz wrote: »
    How are there 10247 active cases?

How many have fully recovered by now?

What you shouldn't do is post on subjects you know nothing about.

You are as has been described in several posts living in cuckoo land.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

s1ippy wrote: »
    but without even the "perk" of being able to do the things you enjoy. What on earth is the rush? Do you hate your life so much, is work your only fulfillment?

What is with this narrative of embracing a life with no joy?

Im really struggling to grasp that people exist who would easily accept this

Sorry to quote myself, but I'm genuinely surprised that I had to explain something so basic to someone who calls themselves "Professor" :D

So basic you've yet to answer the question. Maybe you need to rereg. You've no credibility left at this stage.

It's not in most human's nature to sit idle and do nothing. Many people can't see their families because they're not allowed to travel more than 2km from their residence. The longer the lockdown goes on, the more people will dodge the restrictions, similar to Prohibition. Some of you mightn't like that, but that's reality.

Its inconvenient this pandemic isn't it.

Hope your okay pet.

So basic you've yet to answer the question. Maybe you need to rereg. You've no credibility left at this stage.

This is a new account trolling because of the lockdown...don't mind his posts as they contain nothing basically.

KiKi III wrote: »
    I wouldn’t like to become the next Spain or UK either.

Is there not any part of you that’s glad the restrictions are resulting in a lower death rate here?

Are you really so desperate to get back to “normal” after just 2.5 weeks that you’d accept a death rate double what it is now?

A virus that is primarily effecting a particular age group will have far more implications in a country 20 times more popultated in that age group

alwald wrote: »
    This is a new account trolling because of the lockdown...don't mind his posts as they contain nothing basically.

A useful foil.

What is with this narrative of embracing a life with no joy?

Im really struggling to grasp that people exist who would easily accept this

1. We are willing to accept a short-term sacrifice. We’re talking weeks, not decades. If we were six months into lockdown I’d agree with you. It’s been 2.5 weeks.

2. Some people are able to create moments of joy and happiness in their own homes. Have you tried it? My social media is full of people baking, doing yoga, creating art, doing jig saws with their families etc. Most of us have not resigned ourselves to a life without joy - it’s only you and a minority of others who see it that way.

• Advertisement

A virus that is primarily effecting a particular age group will have far more implications in a country 20 times more popultated in that age group

Very wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement