Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

Hyzepher wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is that if everyone actually followed the guidelines as they were set forward then this thing would be over sooner and those crying about surpression of civil liberties could shut up. But no, there are countless people around who don't seem to care if they get it or not - most likely asymptomatic and passing it on - who are prolonging these restriction longer for all of us.

It's those who are crying about the restrictions and don't obey them are actually prolonging the very thing they want to end.
    A lot of assumptions in your post that ignorantly suggest those who are not in fear of contracting the virus are walking around infecting and putting vunerable at risk.

Its a common narrative here and a weak argument tbh to suggest if someone isnt in fear of contracting the virus or questions the effects of the restrictions they are the cause of them being extended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

STB. wrote: »
    Yeah well your civil rights play second fiddle to public health however inconvenient.

Police state, FFS. The very fact that they had to bring in these laws is because there are gobshítes who are too stupid or too selfish to follow the plan. The plan being not to spread the virus and overwhelm out limited health system to a stage where loads die, unnecessarily.

You can talk all you want about your civil rights when we get this under control. The sooner we do that, the sooner people get back to work.

So I can't even talk about civil rights until some future as yet undetermined date?

Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

alwald wrote: »
    You are exiting as quickly as you entered with a failed attempt. Good night and hopefully you will have a better day tomorrow with your "facts" :D.

Don't bother alwald, i wouldn't have had I read this earlier. LOL
    tdf7187 wrote: »
    Told by whom? The whole fake crisis is a textbook case of mass propaganda. Literally Orwellian.

I'm kind of hoping the virus does cause billions of deaths as the human race has proven itself to be so easily manipulated into obsequious compliance with absurd and entirely disproportionate diktats, all propaganised for by so-called free media, that it doesnt deserve to survive.

The rantings of a madman.
    So I can't even talk about civil rights until some future as yet undetermined date?

Interesting.

That's not what I said. What I said is that public health is above it.

As for you can talk away to yourself to your hearts content, but i wont be listening to your conspiracy theories nor your ramblings. /IGNORE

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,051 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

STB. wrote: »
    Is that what I waited for ? Good God. You probably haven't worked a day in your life.
    Attack the post, not the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Death rate is 0.37% going by extensive studies in Germany and Iceland (and even in those studies there is bias towards a tendency to test the sick).

I’m not even sure where you got 21% from. In our case the infection/death rate is 4% and that is going off a system where only vulnerable and health workers are being tested.
    If we had the capacity to test all people with mild symptoms our death rate would be much lower and that’s before you even factor in the 50+% of asymptomatic carriers.

Post 5932 from Downlinz clarifies the 21% so no need to duplicate/repeat multiple times.

• Advertisement

Death rate is 0.37% going by extensive studies in Germany and Iceland (and even in those studies there is bias towards a tendency to test the sick).

I’m not even sure where you got 21% from. In our case the infection/death rate is 4% and that is going off a system where only vulnerable and health workers are being tested.
    If we had the capacity to test all people with mild symptoms our death rate would be much lower and that’s before you even factor in the 50+% of asymptomatic carriers.

I wonder if the difference is that countries like Germany and Iceland have good health services, and the propagandists for our very poor one are on here night and day demanding everyone obey orders and that we will all die soon.

Some fat 100k a year HSE admin clerk will probably be ringing liveline demanding this thread be shut down, theres a few of us that are not going along with the scaremongering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I think I might be immune to the virus. The past week or 10 days i have forgotten my gloves and hand sanitizer numerous times when out and about shopping etc.
    I also smoke so my hands are on the cigarette and into the mouth.

Far more likely that you haven’t been in contact with anyone who’s had it than you’re immune.

Realistically, most people (outside key workers) should be in contact with very few people right now. It’s only when you go shopping that you’ll be touching potentially infected surfaces and depending on where you are in the country, you’ve more/less chance of doing that (eg the east has more cases it seems).

Makes you very lucky, not immune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

So let me explain, the "rough" estimate for herd immunity to work is that at least 60% of the population must catch C-19 which is akin to a genocide/massacre due to the number of deaths worldwide.

The fact that you are still, in the most basic understandable form possible having to explain this hours later.. says it all really, its why there is a lockdown people cant even manage to do nothing properly... let alone follow complex guidelines of washing ur hands and stuff.. Lockdown till Vaccine i reckon the only way :D:pac:

Post 5932 from Downlinz clarifies the 21% so no need to duplicate/repeat multiple times.

The post you refer to is by no means a factual clarification. It is at best a presumption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Harris has stated publicly that social distancing will be in place until there is a vaccine. But restrictions may relax at some point.

I really don't think he understands how vaccines work. The only reason the Israeli team's claim for a vaccine in a year is taken seriously is because they have been working on vaccines for corona viruses for years and they are very similar.

There are also various trains of corona virus about 8 now. So a vaccine isn't going to work for them all.

• Advertisement

Cupatae wrote: »
    The fact that you are still, in the most basic understandable form possible having to explain this hours later.. says it all really, its why there is a lockdown people cant even manage to do nothing properly... let alone follow complex guidelines of washing ur hands and stuff.. Lockdown till Vaccine i reckon the only way :D:pac:

I reckon the same, this lockdown is more necessary than we thought :D. Thankfully I have other things to look forward to tomorrow ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Here is a correction to your facts, the death rate stands at 21% and not your 0.5%.

Er. You wanna back that nonsense up with a very credible source and link it?

Actually, with such a ridiculous statement, better to make it a few credible sources

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    The post you refer to is by no means a factual clarification. It is at best a presumption

You were very good with maths earlier so I am sure you will figure it out...and I mean it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I wonder if the difference is that countries like Germany and Iceland have good health services, and the propagandists for our very poor one are on here night and day demanding everyone obey orders and that we will all die soon.

Some fat 100k a year HSE admin clerk will probably be ringing liveline demanding this thread be shut down, theres a few of us that are not going along with the scaremongering.

Well there was a study done in a northern Italian town that had been ravaged and 70% of people who went to give blood had already had the disease without knowing or being tested. These numbers back up those other studies.

Also there is nothing particularly wrong with treatment in our system, just lack of capacity and since Hospital beds and ICU are not under pressure there is no reason to believe we would have much of a different outcome to Germany or Iceland.

indeed and a particularly pessimistic one.

70% infection rate and a 21% death rate implies around 700,000 deaths in ROI.

Does the other poster really expect that?

Have you figured out how to lift the restrictions yet? or how to apply the Icelandic Method over here?:D

indeed and a particularly pessimistic one.

70% infection rate and a 21% death rate implies around 70000 deaths in ROI.

Does the other poster really expect that?

If we didnt lock down, id say we wouldnt be far off it, Uk is at 11k as is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

lalababa wrote: »
    Now the median number of a set of numbers is the middle one. But the median age is the highest age - the lowest, divided by 2 and added to the lowest. Which would indicate nearly all of the 33 were over 80. Which would indicate that there are a few/many nursing homes where it is making rack. But this isn't being reported. Why..f**k knows.

That hurt my brain. It's very incorrect.

Median age is the age at which half of deaths are older and half of the deaths are younger, i.e. the middle age in the range.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Death rate won't necessarily be the same across jurisdictions, there are other factors that will drive it.

That said, it likely won't vary wildly (assuming health services aren't overrun, and standard medical treatment can be provided).

You were very good with maths earlier so I am sure you will figure it out...and I mean it!

I think you will find my maths were correct and certain posters ended up with egg on face

• Advertisement

Id say we would be a long way off it

Have you figured out how to lift the restrictions yet? or how to apply the Icelandic Method over here?:D

I agreed with you, testing is difficult. Were going to stay at home

Id say we would be a long way off it

If we didnt lock down? the Uk were slow doing it and look at the price they are paying already. Just shows how important the lock down is. They are already predicting 65k deaths by august.

I think you will find my maths were correct and certain posters ended up with egg on face

To calculate the global percentage of deaths we need the total number of cases with an outcome and the total number of deaths.
    Total number of cases with an outcome is 560216 which is 100% in our maths and the total number of deaths is 118984 which is X%. So (118984*100)/560216=21%.

The total number of active cases is out of the equation as their outcome is still unknown so 21% is the current death rate but is subject to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I reckon the same, this lockdown is more necessary than we thought :D. Thankfully I have other things to look forward to tomorrow ;).

The fact the two of you are acting like complete knobs is really not helping though.

To calculate the global percentage of deaths we need the total number of cases with an outcome and the total number of deaths.
    Total number of cases with an outcome is 560216 which is 100% in our maths and the total number of deaths is 118984 which is X%. So (118984*100)/560216=21%.

The total number of active cases is out of the equation as their outcome is still unknown so 21% is the current death rate but is subject to change.

Thats excluding dressed up numbers the chinese gave on there deaths. god knows what it actually is.

If we didnt lock down? the Uk were slow doing it and look at the price they are paying already. Just shows how important the lock down is. They are already predicting 65k deaths by august.

Just to add that an earlier lockdown would have been hugely beneficial as most imported cases here are from the UK. We all known that they were targeting the herd immunity until they realised their mistake and did a U turn.
    A real question is how do we manage in the future the imported cases from the Uk/NI??

niallo27 wrote: »
    The fact the two of you are acting like complete knobs is really not helping though.

Its boards.ie how is it ever gonna help this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

So you think if uk didnt have a lockdown you would expect 13 million deaths. How quickly would you expect them to reach 1 million for example.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    So you think if uk didnt have a lockdown you would expect 13 million deaths. How quickly would you expect them to reach 1 million for example.

how did you get from 70k the original post, to 13 million? Some math gymnastics there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement