Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,577 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Posted this on the main thread but here is probably somewhere for it also.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1250003948125204481?s=19

With the WHO to announce guidelines today for the lifting of restrictions this gives you a good idea as to their thinking.

He also said in terms of social living that we can return to this pre vaccination so long as people take responsibility if they feel unwell. For example if you even have a common cold symptom going forward you simply dont go out and work from home if possible

That saounds like a bi of a u-rutrn by the WHO..? They were advising against the lifting of any restrictiosn a short while ago.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    Not at all. Never has society been more unequal. I find the we are in this together nauseating.

I find the zoomed out percentages per million people coldly quote nauseating.

There is a selfish attitude by several people here of abandon the old, and those, both old and young with underlying health issues, let people die, survival of the fittest, I have to get back to work. I hope I never meet ye in the cold light of day.

Pandemics are inconvenient. Its life Jim, but not as we know it.

That saounds like a bi of a u-rutrn by the WHO..? They were advising against the lifting of any restrictiosn a short while ago.

"He said communities will have to be vigilant and find people with the disease, isolate them quickly and trace and isolate their contacts".

Lynchings are back in favour. That should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

citysights wrote: »
    That has to be a misprint.

Its not they are just irresponsibly choosing an attention grabbing headline and misrepresenting what was said.

There will have to be some level of restrictions maintained until we have a vaccine or effective treatment but it won't be to the level of what we currently have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

STB. wrote: »

There is a selfish attitude by several people here of abandon the old, and those, both old and young with underlying health issues, let people die, survival of the fittest, I have to get back to work. I hope I never meet ye in the cold light of day.

What's your own personal circumstances so we can try and understand this one man mission you are on to castigate anyone who dares to suggest lifting restrictions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

With the WHO to announce guidelines today for the lifting of restrictions this gives you a good idea as to their thinking.

He also said in terms of social living that we can return to this pre vaccination so long as people take responsibility if they feel unwell. For example if you even have a common cold symptom going forward you simply dont go out and work from home if possible
    This is it. A lot of people freaked out about Simon Harris's suggestion yesterday that social distancing would be with us until a vaccine is found. But he wasn't suggesting that businesses and parks would remain closed and schools would be shut.

What will be required is what the WHO will set out today, and it's a change in attitude, and a whole change in culture when it comes to illness.

We've already started to build on this, our compliance with social distancing is already quite strong, and people have become more comfortable asserting their right to personal space.

The main theme will be taking illnesses seriously. Staying at home when you feel ill, and having consideration for others. Stuff realistically we should have been doing anyway, but it's taken a pandemic to realise.

This will of course have to be backed up with regulations and social measures;

- Continuous public health messaging about staying at home when you're sick. Washing your hands, wearing a mask if you feel at all ill, not going to work, not going to pubs, not going to family gatherings - taking a week off life to get better and not spread your illness around. The biggest issue is the idea that disconnecting and taking time out when you're sick make you a big Jessie. We need to destroy that completely and turn it on its head - that anyone who continues to engage with the rest of the world when they feel ill is a dirty, smelly bastard and they need to go home.

- Legal requirements for businesses to limit capacity. Queuing systems for shops (and shopping centres). A ban on having standing room in pubs and similar - a requirement that all premises serving food or drink on-site have a maximum # of tables per sq.m. with a minimum distance between tables. Perhaps a ban on bar service; it's table service or nothing.

- Funding to help more business get set up online, to implement contactless deliveries.

- Make it a criminal offence to force anyone to come to work if they say they are sick (even uncertified), have a legal right to sick pay, and allow employers to fire any employee on the spot if they come to work while sick. This will include the right to a parent to remain home with pay if a child is ill, and an obligation on parents to do so.

On top of this, an increased testing capacity will allow the test requirements to be eased. This will mean that people who go to the GP while sick, will be able to get a test within a couple of days, as will any of their contacts. People who work in vulnerable areas will be able to get access to quicker testing - especially antibody testing.

Totally aside, what I see now is the flipside of the "LOCK DOWN EVERYTHING" brigade who appeared in February. Now you have the people saying that we should keep everything locked down until 2021, if that's what it takes. That's just as flawed.

The reality is that it's not just about getting back to work and earning money. It's about the social fabric. We have proven that we can pause it, for the most part. But we know it has to be temporary. This cannot go on indefinitely. The reality is that one way or another, people are going to start going back out. They're going to start mixing with family and friends. They're going to reopen their businesses.

The only choice we have is whether this is done is a controlled manner with cultural changes backed with a strong public buy-in. Or in a completely choatic manner where people ignore the Gardai and do whatever they want. We do not have the resources to enforce a lockdown indefinitely. We are locked down by public consent, not by force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Are garden centres / woodies type places reopening?

Starting to think painting the house isn't such a pain in the hole as I've very little else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Absolutely no relaxation of restristions whatsoever until a vaccine is widely available and mandatory. Currently restrictions don't even go far enough. People should only be allowed out once a week for shopping and there should be spot checks on people's shopping to deem if it is essential. No need to leave the home for exercise, that should be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Are garden centres / woodies type places reopening?

Starting to think painting the house isn't such a pain in the hole as I've very little else to do.
    Not until the restrictions are lifted. Some of them may be "open" online.

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Absolutely no relaxation of restristions whatsoever until a vaccine is widely available and mandatory. Currently restrictions don't even go far enough. People should only be allowed out once a week for shopping and there should be spot checks on people's shopping to deem if it is essential. No need to leave the home for exercise, that should be banned.
    Sure, sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Well said Spencer Brown. Once again, human lives matter way more than some shareholder dividend or profit in and of itself, but many many people out there don't have the luxury of waiting it out for some unforeseeable time. What do they do in Asia and Africa where many millions live day to day, they don't have the luxury of sitting in some 4 bedroom detached house, sitting at home and being paid for the privilege. A real moving economy is fundamental for these peoples lives

What's your own personal circumstances so we can try and understand this one man mission you are on to castigate anyone who dares to suggest lifting restrictions?

None of your business Mr 19 post low count.

I have read your inane ramblings. I know what your agenda is all to well. My opinion is based upon the high numbers in ICU and those critical in hospitals. We dont have room for complacency.
    Well said Spencer Brown. Once again, human lives matter way more than some shareholder dividend or profit in and of itself, but many many people out there don't have the luxury of waiting it out for some unforeseeable time. What do they do in Asia and Africa where many millions live day to day, they don't have the luxury of sitting in some 4 bedroom detached house, sitting at home and being paid for the privilege. A real moving economy is fundamental for these peoples lives

Third World country are we ? If "human lives matter way more than some shareholder dividend or profit in and of itself "you wouldn't have bothered with the rest of your diatribe.

None of your business Mr 19 post low count.

I have read your inane ramblings. I know what your agenda is all to well.

Ok then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭pgj2015

what if you keep getting colds and think it is covid-19? do you keep taking 2 weeks off work? how is that going to work? some people will use it as an excuse to keep taking time off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Our rate of new infections, hospitalisations and ICU admissions are slowing. We are getting there, and hopefully in a few weeks we can feel we have it under control with current measures.

Asking for new restrictions makes no sense at all, there is no benefit to society.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Sure, sure.

You think we can beat the deadly virus that is 19x more contagious than seasonal flu with half measures?

You think we can beat the deadly virus that is 19x more contagious than seasonal flu with half measures?
    Do you think people are going to continue complying with a lockdown beyond May?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I love the new accounts that demand someone provides as much personal info as possible immediately :pac:

Boards isnt a mortage assesor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The hospitality sector is going to have to be completely rethought and the economics examined, if social distancing even in it's most rudimentary state is to become the norm for at least 18 months then it's obvious that the potential for losses are endless. Most cafes pubs and restaurants work on tight margins and tighter seating arrangements - if capacity needs to be reduced by a third to a half while staffing esp in the kitchen remains largely the same (not to mention taxes, rates and rents) then they are utterly bunched.

hmmm wrote: »
    Our rate of new infections, hospitalisations and ICU admissions are slowing. We are getting there, and hopefully in a few weeks we can feel we have it under control with current measures.

Asking for new restrictions makes no sense at all, there is no benefit to society.

Bill Gates recommended at least 10 more weeks of lockdown two weeks ago. We should listen to the experts. Thackeray means at least eight more are required, and probably a lot more than that.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    I love the new accounts that demand someone provides as much personal info as possible immediately :pac:

Boards isnt a mortage assesor.

As much? We have no information about this poster at all. Personal circumstances absolutely do matter when trying to understand someone's point of view. Nobody is asking anyone to divulge all of their personal details. All you seem to do on here is post emojis and smartass comments at everyone else's posts.

I think you'll be safe in your concrete encased bunker 40 feet underground. That doesn't work for most people. Nobody has used the word "beat" as we will probably have to live alongside it until treatments emerge, but we should certainly be able to manage it.

The hospitality sector is going to have to be completely rethought and the economics examined, if social distancing even in it's most rudimentary state is to become the norm for at least 18 months then it's obvious that the potential for losses are endless. Most cafes pubs and restaurants work on tight margins and tighter seating arrangements - if capacity needs to be reduced by a third to a half while staffing esp in the kitchen remains largely the same (not to mention taxes, rates and rents) then they are utterly bunched.
    Agreed. Though on on the flipside we're about to see a lot of shop space open up in city and town centres as businesses realise they actually don't need an expensive office in a prestige location.

So while bars and restaurants will find themselves having to limit their customers and by extension their staff, they will also find rents plummetting and hospitality staff will find a large boost in demand for these services outside of city centres as more and more people work at home or in remote offices.

It's going to be a very shakey 3-5 years indeed, but there will be a lot of opportunities for those wiley enough to spot the gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Obviously people who have conditions and over 65s will need to continue self isolated. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

As much? We have no information about this poster at all. Personal circumstances absolutely do matter when trying to understand someone's point of view. Nobody is asking anyone to divulge all of their personal details. All you seem to do on here is post emojis and smartass comments at everyone else's posts.
    It really isnt relevant at all outside of being nosy. The restrictions and the reasons for it apply to everyone. Income has no effect on the virus.

Its amusing the see the ways some try to twist things to cover up thier selfishness whether its faux concern over mental health or faux concern over suicide rates.

pjohnson wrote: »
    It really isnt relevant at all outside of being nosy. The restrictions and the reasons for it apply to everyone. Income has no effect on the virus.

Its amusing the see the ways some try to twist things to cover up thier selfishness whether its faux concern over mental health or faux concern over suicide rates.

Where have I expressed faux concern over either of those things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭oceanman

pubs work on tight margins??

seamus wrote: »
    Do you think people are going to continue complying with a lockdown beyond May?

Come down hard on those that dont. Suspend their payments, heavy fines, electronically tag them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

BTW, was just thinking of copper face jacks. Imagine if you ended up buying it last year..... Hard to see it's business model of cramming people in on top of each other surviving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Bill Gates recommended at least 10 more weeks of lockdown two weeks ago. We should listen to the experts. Thackeray means at least eight more are required, and probably a lot more than that.

Bill Gates is not a qualified expert.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement