Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Bill Gates is an expert virologist now?!

:D

He put 279 million into the Institute for Health Metrics which employs hundreds of health data analysts and researchers whose sole focus is health trends and disease control. I'm pretty sure they send him info on what's happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,577 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I speak German, it is a protest over the restrictions. They have way less time and tolerance for bull**** over there. Its berlin , their freedom was robbed before dont forget.
    They're probably the most rule following by the bookish nation on Earth tbf. People shout at you if you cross when the ampfelmann is red ffs.

Generally speaking, Berlin is gernerally more tolerant and less rule-oreintated than the rest of Germany.

It also hasn't been as sevear a lockdown - people are allowed our for whatever reason as long as they respect social distancing, don't meet up in large groups and only hangout with people they live with.

There's been talk of lifting some of the restrictions next monday and the number of new cases fell for the sixth straight day yesterday.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,577 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He put 279 million into the Institute for Health Metrics which employs hundreds of health data analysts and researchers whose sole focus is health trends and disease control. I'm pretty sure they send him info on what's happening.

That's not what makes you an expert on something.

Indeed. Makes you informed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, good luck with that.

There are 1m people in Dublin.

If even 10% of those decided to completely ignore the lockdown, the Gardai would be overwhelmed and any semblance of enforcement would collapse.

Then the other 90% would say, "why am I ****ing bothering" and the lockdown would be over.

We are in lockdown by public consent.

People have been shot in the Philippines by police for ignoring lockdown. Chinese police house arrested anti-social individuals and padlocked them into their homes. Indian police beat the anti-social with four foot long sticks then make them jump up and down on the spot.Time to get real here and crack down. I'd say a good dose of a tazer and they would think twice about ignoring advise again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Paddygreen wrote: »
    People have been shot in the Philippines by police for ignoring lockdown. Chinese police house arrested anti-social individuals and padlocked them into their homes. Indian police beat the anti-social with four foot long sticks then make them jump up and down on the spot.Time to get real here and crack down. I'd say a good dose of a tazer and they would think twice about ignoring advise again.

First class trolling paddy, hopefully the first restriction lifts will mean the kids can go back to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Paddygreen wrote: »

Jesus,I knew this lockdown was going to drive people over the edge!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Blueshoe wrote: »
    He wouldn't be doing the research though. He has no PhD in biology or what not. He is intelligent no doubt and has the cash but he won't be discovering anything

He who pays gets the credit, it's in the terms and conditions ;)

An expert is just someone who knows more about something than the next joe soap, doesn't mean they know it all or that their opinions are even right, all you need to do is look at the history of scientific discovery every discovery there was an expert who said yes and another who said no.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

So she staged the video ? I can imagine traditional media not wanting to share it fir sure, might give people ideas ... varadkar has probably told rte what they can and cant report ....

Is that yourself Gemma?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

seamus wrote: »
    If even 10% of those decided to completely ignore the lockdown, the Gardai would be overwhelmed and any semblance of enforcement would collapse.

Then the other 90% would say, "why am I ****ing bothering" and the lockdown would be over.
    We won't need the army to enforce a lockdown, the public will do it themselves. Most people don't want to catch the virus, and they don't want to pass it to others. People won't be going back to pubs anytime soon, even if the owners force them to open.

We might see minor disobedience, but in general the Government and Public health doctors have been very smart by largely governing through consent. They have quite shrewdly waited for public opinion to shift, and then moved with it, rather than trying to enforce something the public doesn't want or feel is needed.

Pressures will build to open certain activities e.g. construction sites, outdoor sports, beaches etc. and perhaps they can be the release valve.

• Advertisement

Indeed. Makes you informed though.

Informed, ok.

I'll stick to the actual experts rather than the 'informed'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Many have had the virus and dont even know it! Most feel a bit lousy for a few days , I hardly quake in my boots at the thought of getting the flu every year ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Informed, ok.

Who are the actual 'experts'? The researchers actually working on the virus itself?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

bladespin wrote: »
    Who are the actual 'experts'? The researchers actually working on the virus itself?
    Yes, that's how it works. The experts are the people in public health who've studied this for years and scientists working on the virus itself.

Not some college student who has glanced at wikipedia and is now writing 42 page threads on Twitter about his hunches about the virus.

hmmm wrote: »
    We won't need the army to enforce a lockdown, the public will do it themselves. Most people don't want to catch the virus, and they don't want to pass it to others. People won't be going back to pubs anytime soon, even if the owners force them to open.

We might see minor disobedience, but in general the Government and Public health doctors have been very smart by largely governing through consent. They have quite shrewdly waited for public opinion to shift, and then moved with it, rather than trying to enforce something the public doesn't want or feel is needed.

Pressures will build to open certain activities e.g. construction sites, outdoor sports, beaches etc. and perhaps they can be the release valve.

That last paragraph, that is all most of us want or expect in the short term. If they think we will will remain locked up unnecessarily, by varadkar, Harris a few quivering boy scounts and some unelected civil servants etc, lol! What would they do if a hundred thousand in Dublin decide enough is enough and started marching towards gpo etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

He who pays gets the credit, it's in the terms and conditions ;)

An expert is just someone who knows more about something than the next joe soap, doesn't mean they know it all or that their opinions are even right, all you need to do is look at the history of scientific discovery every discovery there was an expert who said yes and another who said no.

It’s kind of a new term though in the way it’s now being used like online courses different levels up to expert user. Maybe professional is being replaced by the term expert. A professional will have qualifications and an expert may but not necessarily. We used to hear about ‘experts in the field of science, medicine etc’ Those would have both the qualifications as well as substantial experience under their belt. But as you say experts don’t know everything and can disagree amongst each other.

That last paragraph, that is all most of us want or expect in the short term. If they think we will will remain locked up unnecessarily, by varadkar, Harris a few quivering boy scounts and some unelected civil servants etc, lol! What would they do if a hundred thousand in Dublin decide enough is enough and started marching towards gpo etc?

Gubbermint wot done it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

citysights wrote: »
    It’s kind of a new term though in the way it’s now being used like online courses different levels up to expert user. Maybe professional is being replaced by the term expert. A professional will have qualifications and an expert may but not necessarily. We used to hear about ‘experts in the field of science, medicine etc’ Those would have both the qualifications as well as substantial experience under their belt. But as you say experts don’t know everything and can disagree amongst each other.

If you were sick and required hospital treatment would you prefer to be seen by the guy who went to medical school and passed his exams or the guy who paid for the hospital to be built

Informed, ok.

The experts inform Gates who then uses his fame to inform others. But, if you like, you can ignore him or assume he's making things up.

The people who are advising the people who are who are advising Bill Gates. He doesn't just wake up with the information downloaded into his brain.

• Advertisement

45% of deaths are in nursing homes!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

If it was ever the case where there is an attempt to subvert the state I believe live rounds should be used to restore order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Blueshoe wrote: »
    If you were sick and required hospital treatment would you prefer to be seen by the guy who went to medical school and passed his exams or the guy who paid for the hospital to be built

Rhetorical question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

"They were going to die anyway"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Iceland has joined other countries in announcing a relaxation of lockdown, while Denmark wants to reopen some services quicker than had been anticipated R value in Denmark is 0.6.

"Iceland will begin to gradually relax restrictions imposed as part of efforts to fight the novel coronavirus next month.

The country, which has 1,720 confirmed infections of Covid-19 and eight deaths, imposed a series of restrictions beginning in mid-March.

Secondary schools and universities, as well as hair salons and museums, will reopen on 4 May.

Restrictions on other businesses and schools will be lifted gradually, officials said.

While a limit on the number of people who can gather together remains in place, it has been raised from 20 to 50.

Iceland's health officials said last week that the peak in cases had passed, and the number of infections has now fallen for several days in row."

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

You could argue that in todays world, no one really does anything if to qualify for having done so they must have done every single thing from start to finish.

Bill is obviously very intelligent, he has also spent a lot of time in funding and being involved in the conversation around infectious diseases. He is definitely capable of contributing to the conversation.

Absolutely. To think anything else is pure delusion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

citysights wrote: »
    Rhetorical question.

Genuine question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

It was 54% last week wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭skallywag

I would not let that statistic blind you too much.

I learned today from a good friend that an old friend of hers has just died from the virus, he was 46 and completely fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Has a decision been made on the rose of Tralee festival yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement