Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ixoy wrote: »
    Indefinitely? So you're assuming there's going to be no vaccine, no ways to mitigate against this for years? This is something that's affecting billions and, for better or worse, it's hitting the richer countries this time so there's a lot of incentive to find a solution.

Mitigation? Yes, social distancing, face masks, isolating/staying at home with any cold/flu like symptoms, temperature checks for work/travel etc..

We're all just going to have to get used to a new way of living for the foreseeable future, otherwise we can all just hide at home bathing in Dettol in the hopes of a vaccine which may never get to us.....

JTMan wrote: »
    You mean until the majority of people receive a vaccine. A vaccine will problem by found by Autumn. It will probably not be pass distributed until spring next year.

That's like a fairy tale you're talking about there...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

You mean until the majority of people receive a vaccine. A vaccine will problem by found by Autumn. It will probably not be pass distributed until spring next year.

What does this mean?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

Some firms to place staff in alternating groups to allow for social distancing in open-plan offices where social distancing is difficult.

Alternating staff won't work in open plan offices because social distancing will still be impossible.

Even if you have 50% of your staff in the office AND even if you somehow manage to ensure that everyone's desks are 2 meters apart you will still not be able to ensure social distancing on narrow passage ways, in the kitchens (often small) and around the office.

Hence, work from home, will stay mandatory, where people can work from home, until a vaccine is given to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

mass distributed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Diarmuid wrote: »
    No vaccine. Just like SARS and the common cold, two other corona viruses.

Theres no money in a sars vaccine since its been completely eradicated and the common cold mutates too quickly for any vaccine to be effective

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Mitigation? Yes, social distancing, face masks, isolating/staying at home with any cold/flu like symptoms, temperature checks for work/travel etc..
    I don't see social distancing happening, as is, until a vaccine occurs. People always standing 2m apart? Unlikely as many are barely managing it after a couple of weeks. And we can't really expect families to say 2m apart for that long for many reasons. The best we could realistically achieve is keeping strangers further apart by keeping pubs shut, telling people to try and pass away from strangers, and resign themselves to families and friends mixing. If nothing else that should reduce any transmission rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

It means that most people will not get the vaccine until Spring next year. It takes time to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

I was a bit disappointed on my evening walk within 2 Killo. of my home as I passed the local GAA pitch i saw about 15 teens pucking around . It will be a shame if people start getting careless after making such a great effort up to now

I have found in life that it is better not to have too many expectations of others, disappointment will nearly always ensue. Much better to ensure high expectations of self and be sure to hit at least the minimum expected.

mass distributed?

Ah OK. I thought the poster was suggesting something like priority being given to certain groups in society to receive the vaccine should one be developed.

• Advertisement

It means that most people will not get the vaccine until Spring next year. It takes time to produce.

OK. There was a typo in your previous post which changed the meaning of your comment for me anyway.

I don't see social distancing happening, as is, until a vaccine occurs. People always standing 2m apart? Unlikely as many are barely managing it after a couple of weeks. And we can't really expect families to say 2m apart for that long for many reasons. The best we could realistically achieve is keeping strangers further apart by keeping pubs shut, telling people to try and pass away from strangers, and resign themselves to families and friends mixing. If nothing else that should reduce any transmission rate.

It's the only effective mitigation methods we have, there's no medication which will protect people from getting cv19 or dying from it.... those who have had it are now testing positive for it again (S.Korea) so immunity isn't an effective defense either.

Pubs, restaurants and social events will need to reduce numbers, put up perspex barriers, no cash handled, facemasks worn in work and checking for symptoms will all be the norm.

Cv19 will flare up if we go back to pre-lockdown restrictions being lifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,577 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I was a bit disappointed on my evening walk within 2 Killo. of my home as I passed the local GAA pitch i saw about 15 teens pucking around . It will be a shame if people start getting careless after making such a great effort up to now

Were they two metres away from each other?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

A vaccine has already been developed a few months ago , it is in early testing, will not be reasy for at least a year (after testing/manufacture) -
    personally, going of Harris ministerial leadership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,982 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Common cold does not kill anyone. The flu has a vaccine but it does not always hit the spot, better than nothing though.

THIS virus is going to be a different animal altogether. Well until we know whether is dies down in Summer or not, whether it mutates or not, whether we know anything much about the fekkin thing at all.

Anyway, not to be too negative, I also agree that social distancing will be a thing until a vaccine is found. That will be very difficult, but not impossible for many going about their daily jobs in a fixed setting, and for travel also.

I am hoping for the best, but fearing the worst. Don't forget that many who are young, fit and healthy and will probably not have any or many symptoms can infect others who may not be so lucky. Bit of a dilemma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

bit optimistic to think they will have a vaccine by autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

bit optimistic to think they will have a vaccine by autumn.

Delusional more like.

thebaz wrote: »
    A vaccine has already been developed a few months ago , it is in early testing, will not be reasy for at least a year (after testing/manufacture) -

Erm.... what? have you a source on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That 5-8% next year will be wiped out again if there's another surge in CV19 cases.
    It seems we're stuck with ongoing restrictions indefinitely, high unemployment and low economic activity with the tourism and travel industries a shadow of their former selves, food production, road/rail/ship transport also employing far less numbers than before.

This Virus has set the world economy back decades, which will take further decades to get back to the levels we've just had.

States will have to step up and provide a universal income payment for all, at one level, and also allow people to take up low, part-time and contract work without losing any state payments.

The IMF back track on the doom and gloom unbelievably so,I agree about the impact on tourism, but to say it will take decades to recover is not true.
    Ignoring tabloid news stories about the world economy, there has been a large shift in the EU governments attitude towards relaxing of restrictions this week and also with the world health organisation switching it's stance from strict restrictions to having to live with the virus and try to get back to normal living.
    The world economy can recover quicker than most imagine but a lot of that will depend on us going back to work living our lives as normal as can be expected.
    We're just going to have to get use to living with the virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

That's like a fairy tale you're talking about there...

Not necessarily. Swine flu was declared a pandemic in April with a vaccine rollout that November. I have had discussions with a family and friends it gave 1 in 55,000 narcolepsy and was told "good odds"

So it's not impossible and wouldn't be surprising if it was rushed through and snapped up by large swaths of the population. There is already a UK group who believe they'll have one for September. While it's not guaranteed, don't be surprised to see one waved through like last time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Aidric wrote: »
    Delusional more like.

These guys are pretty bullish

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0411/1129975-vaccine-coronavirus/

So it's not impossible and wouldn't be surprising if it was rushed through and snapped up by large swaths of the population. There is already a UK group who believe they'll have one for September. While it's not guaranteed, don't be surprised to see one waved through like last time

I think the media will jump on any researcher in a lab who thinks they can have a vaccine ready in months, I mean i'm not medical expert like 99% + of people here on boards.ie but the testing, clinical human trials can take years alone, then you have the approvals which of course can be fast tracked, but you have to have big pharma onboard who can produce a vaccine in colossal amounts and make money from it, unless global governments come on board to fund this, but at the moment it appears governments around the world are further apart than ever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

They are an outlier. Cutting corners on a vaccine is something you don't want to do.

but the testing, clinical human trials can take years alone, then you have the approvals which of course can be fast tracked, but you have to have big pharma onboard who can produce a vaccine in colossal amounts and make money from it,

I hear you and agree 100% bud. The UK crowd have already started production I think as has Johnson and Johnson in the US.

I'm just saying to lads theres form for panic rushing and approval so lads shouldn't be surprised.

I hear you and agree 100% bud. The UK crowd have already started production I think as has Johnson and Johnson in the US.
    I'm just saying to lads theres form for panic rushing and approval so lads shouldn't be surprised.

I'd also be worried that any rushed vaccines would come with side effects which may not be known for years, we've all seen "I am legend!" :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's the only effective mitigation methods we have, there's no medication which will protect people from getting cv19 or dying from it.... those who have had it are now testing positive for it again (S.Korea) so immunity isn't an effective defense either.
    Hold on - a handful of people who have had it, and were presumed to have recovered, have tested positive again. It doesn't entirely rule out immunity in the most cases!
    Pubs, restaurants and social events will need to reduce numbers, put up perspex barriers, no cash handled, facemasks worn in work and checking for symptoms will all be the norm.

I can see that happening to some extent or another. Can you really see families distancing themselves for 2m from now on? Friends? Do you genuinely think people will do it - put aside the science - do you think we as humans can overcome all our societal traits?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

You have to imagine that the Chinese knew in December 2019 at latest they had something world changing on their hands
    You would have to imagine that a big pharma company was brought in from the start and have already run human trials in China
    No way the Chinese did not sit down and come to the conclusion a vaccine would be priceless and big pharma would partner with them to research and manufacture the drug

Hold on - a handful of people who have had it, and were presumed to have recovered, have tested positive again. It doesn't entirely rule out immunity in the most cases!

I can see that happening to some extent or another. Can you really see families distancing themselves for 2m from now on? Friends? Do you genuinely think people will do it - put aside the science - do you think we as humans can overcome all our societal traits?

A possible point made by an Aussie doctor was even when recovered you still shed the virus for weeks afterwards, even dead cells I think he said. According to him the tests can't differentiate between alive and dead cells

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I work for jnj myself, September they are starting production.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If they think we will will remain locked up unnecessarily, by varadkar, Harris a few quivering boy scounts and some unelected civil servants etc, lol! What would they do if a hundred thousand in Dublin decide enough is enough and started marching towards gpo etc?

It is necessary, for the sake of the elderly, and it's not cause varadkar said so, it's by popular consent. The reality is that very little enforcement is needed, such is the rate of compliance - the hundred thousand will never materialise.

Calling civil servants "unelected" is a tired red herring. Their job is to do what the gov says and the gov is elected so the civil servants don't need to be. Not every government employee needs to be voted for in an election.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement