Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'd also be worried that any rushed vaccines would come with side effects which may not be known for years, we've all seen "I am legend!" :)

Right we'd best get all the financial and antiviral experts to get in touch with the true pros on boards.ie. Clearly those jokers pale in comparison to the self appointed geniuses who can forecast financial ruin and no vaccine all from their phones/computers. Brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hard to see people obeying social distancing rules in pubs and clubs and even harder so see how it will be enforced.

Bouncers will have a full time job trying to tell a horny young fella full of beer to keep 2 meters apart at 1am in a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Those who are not team players need to be put on the bench, sidelined and silenced if necessary. Now is not the time to question our government.

Of course it is !

They were leaving out the German numbers

We have appalling ICU capacity because of their mismanagement

The first person Leo hired was a PR consultant

Its rampant in HSE controlled nursing homes

They bought muck from China

There strategy is to end society as we know it for the the forseaable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I hear you and agree 100% bud. The UK crowd have already started production I think as has Johnson and Johnson in the US.

I'm just saying to lads theres form for panic rushing and approval so lads shouldn't be surprised.

I work for jnj myself, September they are starting production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

niallo27 wrote: »

Why wait till September?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Of course it is !

They were leaving out the German numbers

We have appalling ICU capacity because of their mismanagement

The first person Leo hired was a PR consultant

Its rampant in HSE controlled nursing homes

They bought muck from China

There strategy is to end society as we know it for the the forseaable future.

From reading your post it looks like they've also failed in the education system. :rolleyes:

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Why wait till September?

Initial clinical trials, its always going be a risk but they are talking the best advice known to them. Several companies are doing this, let's hope one gets it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Oh really bud? Where are you based with them? I could have sworn they'd already started production on one in the US in the hope of the FDA approved it it would be ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Initial clinical trials, its always going be a risk but they are talking the best advice known to them. Several companies are doing this, let's hope one gets it right.

Is that clinical trials now and then producing in September if successful in trial ?
    Sorry just haven't gone back in the thread to get the backstory to this.

Oh really bud? Where are you based with them? I could have sworn they'd already started production on one in the US in the hope of the FDA approved it it would be ready to go

No production started yet. Let me get the info and I'll get back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

So basically while you say September, it could be April 2021 for all you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I posted this over on the main thread, but it may be more suited for here:

Something to ponder when restrictions are eased .... sometime in the future:
    How are we (society) to distinguish between someone who is immune from Covid-19 to someone who is not?
    Is there going to be a mechanism where you will know that we will be interacting with someone who previously had Covid-19 and is now immune (theoretically for now) and is not a danger to us?

This will be an important aspect of life pre-vaccine. Are we to trust someone who tells us they are immune? It is really a life/death question for a segment of society.
    I see this dilemma in work and social situations.
    Wonder will they have segregated pubs and clubs, with all the non-immune in the poorer section at the back?

But seriously, it does begs some questions though.

Want to make sure she's clean before getting down to it eh Kivaro? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ace2007 wrote: »
    So basically while you say September, it could be April 2021 for all you know.

You're right, human trials in September, and perhaps a release in early 2021...

https://www.genengnews.com/news/jj-eyes-september-trial-for-covid-19-vaccine-commits-to-expanded-1b-barda-partnership/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Want to make sure she's clean before getting down to it eh Kivaro? :pac:
    But don't you want her to be unclean though i.e. to have had the virus, so she cannot pass it onto you.

Funny you bring it up, because that's how the question formulated in my head. Imagine meeting someone you fancied and after a few drinks (2 metres apart) ...... and you now want to swap spit :eek:. How can you tell if the other person is immune? Will they be wearing a "safe" badge? Many of us, young and old, might not know of an underlying health condition, so it really may be a matter of life and death.
    There needs to be something fairly fail-safe to distinguish between the immune and those not previously infected.

Kivaro wrote: »
    But don't you want her to be unclean though i.e. to have had the virus, so she cannot pass it onto you.

Funny you bring it up, because that's how the question formulated in my head. Imagine meeting someone you fancied and after a few drinks (2 metres apart) ...... and you now want to swap spit :eek:. How can you tell if the other person is immune? Will they be wearing a "safe" badge? Many of us, young and old, might not know of an underlying health condition, so it really may be a matter of life and death.
    There needs to be something fairly fail-safe to distinguish between the immune and those not previously infected.

Ya dirty fecker! In fairness I thought the same the other night :pac:

Seems pretty straightforward to me. As soon as you kiss someone you become a unit. Need to immediately move in together and might as well get married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭racso1975

Surely you mean vaccinated and not. As opposed to infect given that does not guarantee immunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

racso1975 wrote: »
    Surely you mean vaccinated and not. As opposed to infect given that does not guarantee immunity

You do know what a vaccination is right?

Because if having had the disease does not give you any immunity then a vaccination sure won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

To be honest i think anyone that believes that the country will be in lockdown or under tight restriction after mid june is taking it a bit far. I believe constuction sites will be back by mid may. most shops and shopping centres by late may and pubs and restaurunts by mid june. social distancing will be the by word and the get out of jail card. pubs will limit to 70-80 max, but they will be opened. all sports event prob cancelled til sept. over 70s will be advised to cocoon until further notice but it will be up to people. the government know they cant get to 0 deaths or 0 cases and wont try, we will have to live with this not beat it. i think once the governement get through this current surge in next 4 weeks things will lift and they will lift quite quickly. it will be up to people to continue thier own restrictions if they feel they want to. there will be work from home options available to everyone they can i would imagine. i suppose if those vulnerable to the disease continue to cocoon then very gently people can get back to normal and herd immunity should do the rest. this talk of everything locked down til october is crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Rather than saying Lockdown should be lifted in May, June or October... It would be better to say it should be lifted the day the number of new cases has been zero for the past two weeks.

Now what we're seeing is two of the worst affected countries, Spain/Italy, with the highest deaths in Europe/the world unlocking parts of their economies, seems crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

racso1975 wrote: »

Well, that's a worrying insight. Vaccination is not immunisation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Dickie10 wrote: »
    To be honest i think anyone that believes that the country will be in lockdown or under tight restriction after mid june is taking it a bit far. I believe constuction sites will be back by mid may. most shops and shopping centres by late may and pubs and restaurunts by mid june. social distancing will be the by word and the get out of jail card. pubs will limit to 70-80 max, but they will be opened. all sports event prob cancelled til sept. over 70s will be advised to cocoon until further notice but it will be up to people. the government know they cant get to 0 deaths or 0 cases and wont try, we will have to live with this not beat it. i think once the governement get through this current surge in next 4 weeks things will lift and they will lift quite quickly. it will be up to people to continue thier own restrictions if they feel they want to. there will be work from home options available to everyone they can i would imagine. i suppose if those vulnerable to the disease continue to cocoon then very gently people can get back to normal and herd immunity should do the rest. this talk of everything locked down til october is crazy

Pubs and restaurants open by mid June? You`re living in fantasy land if you think that will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    You're right, human trials in September, and perhaps a release in early 2021...

https://www.genengnews.com/news/jj-eyes-september-trial-for-covid-19-vaccine-commits-to-expanded-1b-barda-partnership/

I get worried when I read approved for "emergency use...".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Pubs and restaurants open by mid June? You`re living in fantasy land if you think that will happen.

Do you ever have anything positive to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Pubs will be the very last thing opened. As well as restaurants.

Probably October or November at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think your in the fantasy land lad! People have to realize were going to be living with this for maybe 18 months, do you think pubs, shops, restaurunts will shut til we get 0 deaths and 0 cases? thats akin to saying we would have to shut everything until we 0 deaths from winter flu epidemic, its a disease/virus like any other , all these restrictions are to flatten the curve, to get over the surge so our ICUs can cope, they will cope with a few deaths a day ad maybe 50-90 cases a day no problem. we will develop herd immunity too so probably wont get a second huge surge maybe an aftershock slight jump thats all. Again government will advise those vulnerable to cocoon still and those out in public to social distance. you can easily social distance in a bi pub limited to 70 people. smaller pubs can limit to 20, it can go by sq. meters per pub the bigger the more are admitted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Pubs will be the very last thing opened. As well as restaurants.

Probably October or November at the earliest.

Restaurants may be allowed to reopen with strict social distancing rules in place in the autumn. I can`t see pubs being allowed to reopen until 2021.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ireland has the advantage of being able to watch the likes of Austria, Denmark et al they are the canary in the coalmine of infection.

Pub culture is going to be changed utterly in any event until a vaccine is shown to be viable and effective over the medium to long term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

i think your in the fantasy land lad! People have to realize were going to be living with this for maybe 18 months, do you think pubs, shops, restaurunts will shut til we get 0 deaths and 0 cases? thats akin to saying we would have to shut everything until we 0 deaths from winter flu epidemic, its a disease/virus like any other , all these restrictions are to flatten the curve, to get over the surge so our ICUs can cope, they will cope with a few deaths a day ad maybe 50-90 cases a day no problem. we will develop herd immunity too so probably wont get a second huge surge maybe an aftershock slight jump thats all. Again government will advise those vulnerable to cocoon still and those out in public to social distance. you can easily social distance in a bi pub limited to 70 people. smaller pubs can limit to 20, it can go by sq. meters per pub the bigger the more are admitted.

Much as I'd murder a pint of Stout now, not a chance in hell pubs will be opened before October.

There is also no chance that any pub in a major town in Ireland is going to enforce any kind of proper social distancing seriously. They may say they are. But saying and reality are wildly different things.

No, a lot of the economy will re-open but all the fun stuff will remain closed.

We can still drink cans at home for a few months. Not fun, but that's what we are faced with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement