Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

ITman88 wrote: »
    Exactly.
    Posters suggesting lockdown to go on indefinitely can’t happen.
    Incidentally Dr Holohan said St. James was empty Tuesday night.

Which posters are saying it can/ should go on indefinitely? I haven’t seen anyone say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Exactly.
    Posters suggesting lockdown to go on indefinitely can’t happen.
    Incidentally Dr Holohan said St. James was empty Tuesday night.

Anyone showing up to A&E is treated like they have Corona, so no one is attending. Plus they've booted out all the bedblockers and since everything is closed there's a lot less alcohol related incidents.

Very noble comment.

However foreign holidays are the least of our worries.
    More lives will be lost due to the economy

Still waiting on sources for that claim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

There are economic consequences already. We're all gonna be f*cking broke for ages. There's no more foreign holidays. But what can you do. We'll hopefully still have food and shelter, and have it better than most people have ever had in the past up until recently.
    Social unrest - maybe where you are but people in Ireland generally don't riot etc. So I'm not worried about that.

This level of delusion is as bad as the people who initially thought this was just a flu.

We're not talking about foreign holidays. We're talking about full on rioting, looting and violence. You think Irish people are too placid to do that? Wait until people are actually starving and desperate. The government's coffers aren't a bottomless pit and supplies don't just fall from the sky.

If this lockdown does go on for months or even longer, the virus will be the least of your worries. Why do you not get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Still waiting on sources for that claim

http://jvalue.co.uk/papers/J-value-assessment-of-combating-Covid-19-Thomas-23.3.2020.pdf

It’s a long read, another poster has intelligently discredited the authors due to the fact they are English

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This level of delusion is as bad as the people who initially thought this was just a flu.

We're not talking about foreign holidays. We're talking about full on rioting, looting and violence. You think Irish people are too placid to do that? Wait until people are actually starving and desperate. The government's coffers aren't a bottomless pit and supplies don't just fall from the sky.

If this lockdown does go on for months or even longer, the virus will be the least of your worries. Why do you not get that?

You're some bloody drama queen honest to god.

How long do you think things can go on like this before there is serious social unrest and economic consequences? I don't think it's as long as you seem to think.

Theres serious econmic consequences day 1 of these restrictions

Theres reasonable evidence to suggest such restrictions can become normalised,if anything long term (not that i want that)......ww2 dragged on for 5 years,people grew up in parts of ireland to view daily army foot patrols as normal for bones of 30 years

Its tough going if stuck in all day,but go.for your exercise etc(seriously ive gotten snapchats off people in london,going to parks etc),

what exactly are you wanting to tear up.these restrictions to do??

Anyone showing up to A&E is treated like they have Corona, so no one is attending. Plus they've booted out all the bedblockers and since everything is closed there's a lot less alcohol related incidents.

Bedblockers?

Would you consider covid patients bedblockers?

http://jvalue.co.uk/papers/J-value-assessment-of-combating-Covid-19-Thomas-23.3.2020.pdf

It’s a long read, another poster has intelligently discredited the authors due to the fact they are English

Hmm, I would intelligently discredit it as an unreviewed, unpublished paper submitted to a journal on Nanotechnology that has an impact factor of zero.

I'll give it a read however.

Very noble comment.

However foreign holidays are the least of our worries.
    More lives will be lost due to the economy

This just isn’t true.

Without these restrictions we would be like other countries reporting hundreds of deaths every day due to Covid 19. We had 352 suicide last year.

• Advertisement

Bedblockers?

Would you consider covid patients bedblockers?

Nope, I would consider people who show up in A&E for spurious reasons bedblockers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

No one is suggesting that.

It has however been happening for years now, so while you were being passive aggressive you need to check out what’s being going on in Italy for a number of years
    How about the absolutely moronic post saying "you're afraid of a virus, harden up". My response is all that deserves.

Frankly people are suggesting what I said. Because none of the people whining about the restrictions right now (I don't mean long-term) can ever come up with a whiff of an alternative. So no, or much fewer restrictions, meaning far more people will get very ill, overwhelm the already stretched health service, and die. But... oh well? Because there ain't an alternative.

You're some bloody drama queen honest to god.

Or maybe I've seen and know what happens when economies collapse. Ever been to Venezuela? You'll probably tell me 'that wouldn't happen here', just like people thought the virus wouldn't happen here or lockdowns wouldn't happen here.

Some serious selective thinking going on with you.

Thankfully I *do* know a lot about what is being planned, and it doesn't include years of being locked down. Thank God some people on here aren't the ones making these decisions.

KiKi III wrote: »
    This just isn’t true.

Without these restrictions we would be like other countries reporting hundreds of deaths every day due to Covid 19. We had 352 suicide last year.

We won’t be like other countries, we have many cultural differences between the worst hit nations that you want to ignore and quote death stats

Hmm, I would intelligently discredit it as an unreviewed, unpublished paper submitted to a journal on Nanotechnology that has an impact factor of zero.

I'll give it a read however.

It’s not been peer reviewed due to the short time frame, that was taken from a publication last week

Theres serious econmic consequences day 1 of these restrictions

Theres reasonable evidence to suggest such restrictions can become normalised,if anything long term (not that i want that)......ww2 dragged on for 5 years,people grew up in parts of ireland to view daily army foot patrols as normal for bones of 30 years

Its tough going if stuck in all day,but go.for your exercise etc(seriously ive gotten snapchats off people in london,going to parks etc),

what exactly are you wanting to tear up.these restrictions to do??

I'm not saying I want to tear them up. I'm making the point that not everyone who is struggling with the lockdown is some basic idiot upset that they can't go to Coppers. Some people are genuinely struggling and maybe be genuinely at risk of harm or even death. That's a fact.

People like Kiki wondering why do they not all read a nice book are missing the point and lacking in empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

some people are already clearly struggling mentally.

they are being told to suck it up.

sounds familiar.

We won’t be like other countries, we have many cultural differences between the worst hit nations that you want to ignore and quote death stats

The virus has spread widely in all countries that were slow to introduce restrictions regardless of cultural differences.

There are vast cultural differences between New York, Wuhan, Milan and Tehran but it’s spreading at an exponential rate in all of them.

So what about our culture do you imagine will save us?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

tdf7187 wrote: »
    The restrictions are already causing disproportionate hardship and should be relaxed if not entirely removed. Sweden has none and is doing fine. But hey it's great for the coppers and their overtime so celebrate.

Sweden has had 40% more deaths per head of population than us

tdf7187 wrote: »
    The restrictions are already causing disproportionate hardship and should be relaxed if not entirely removed. Sweden has none and is doing fine. But hey it's great for the coppers and their overtime so celebrate.
    Yeah that's all it's about - overtime for the cops.

Could you ever see outside your own bubble maybe? People are dying in their hundreds per day because of restrictions coming too late but... "meeeeeee!!"

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Yeah that's all it's about - overtime for the cops.

Could you ever see outside your own bubble maybe? People are dying in their hundreds per day but... "meeeeeee!!"

Ironically thinking of other’s and upcoming generations is being considered selfish.

While others wanting to spend months inside doing little living off the state is considered noble.

I'm not saying I want to tear them up. I'm making the point that not everyone who is struggling with the lockdown is some basic idiot upset that they can't go to Coppers. Some people are genuinely struggling and maybe be genuinely at risk of harm or even death. That's a fact.

People like Kiki wondering why do they not all read a nice book are missing the point and lacking in empathy.

If you loosen them,you may as well tear them up though??

If you are struggling or know anyone struggling to point of injuring themselves/suicide,i mean this 100%,contact samatitans/alert appropriate autorities to call around

Like the lockdown in london is much looser than here,ive siblings there,and last weekend was 1st time they seen marks for social distencing etc...there here over a month

They couldnt get head around fact the gaurds are stopping cars at.busy points in rural areas to enforce the 2km limit (not feasible to stop everywhere i assume),nor that last sunday they set up a checkpoint and stopped everyone from leaving waterford city to go to tramore/scenic drives......

.i dont mean to alarm you,but there is every reason to believe a more severe lockdown is coming to london (i found limiting my news intake to once a day etc to be very good for relieving tension/worry,and telling anyone wanting talk about this virus to go away,helpful)

sounds familiar.
    Go for walks, look up online help, yoga/meditation/breathing techniques to relaxing music. What's the alternative? People are dying in their hundreds every day because of not having restrictions.

As someone else said, try to look for solutions instead of problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

KiKi III wrote: »
    The virus has spread widely in all countries that were slow to introduce restrictions regardless of cultural differences.

There are vast cultural differences between New York, Wuhan, Milan and Tehran but it’s spreading at an exponential rate in all of them.

So what about our culture do you imagine will save us?

All are cities way bigger than Dublin. You keep missing that.

sounds familiar.

People with mild to moderate mental illness (of which I’m one) should be able to use remote services and tools to cope for a few weeks. There are many.

People with severe mental illnesses will have a harder time and should consult their doctors for appropriate medication, outpatient and inpatient treatment if needed.

easypazz wrote: »
    All are cities way bigger than Dublin. You keep missing that.

The population of Milan is comparable to Dublin.

Ironically thinking of other’s and upcoming generations is being considered selfish.

While others wanting to spend months inside doing little living off the state is considered noble.
    Who the heck actually wants to spend months inside and not have a job? :confused:

The nonsense that gets made up by some objecting to the restrictions.

Who considers it noble? It's just necessary.

I have asked this so many times - maybe I'll get an answer: what is the alternative? There's none - other than risking hundreds of deaths a day.

The post i quoted in my comment you responded to above didn't even mention this devastating virus - just some inane dig at the guards. Extremely self centred.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

The people who says 'You don't have to fight in a war, you just have to sit on your arse' must not understand much about human psychology. Nobody wants to tell their grandchildren they sat on the couch and ate a jumbo bag of Doritos. Enforced restless passivity is a hard sell.

Then people here are calling for the army to be used as a military police the way they would be in a tinpot Communist country despite that there hasn't been any serious civil disobedience so far. Just the imagined possibility of civil disobedience is enough for us to wreck all our traditions of unarmed policing and military restraint that were carefully built up over a century. Sad and shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Go for walks, look up online help, yoga/meditation/breathing techniques to relaxing music. What's the alternative? People are dying in their hundreds every day because of not having restrictions.

As someone else said, try to look for solutions instead of problems.
    fair enough. a little empathy would go along way however, there is rightly plenty for the victims of the virus but perhaps spare some for those trapped in their own private nightmare.

• Advertisement

It's a concern what to tell the grandchildren?

Crikey.

Nobody has to eat Doritos/sit on the couch.

I've had anxiety/depression. I have accepted that there is no alternative to this. I'm lucky - I still have my job (working from home) but it's still claustrophobic. I have therefore listed all of the things I can do, and there are loads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement