Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i think your in the fantasy land lad! People have to realize were going to be living with this for maybe 18 months, do you think pubs, shops, restaurunts will shut til we get 0 deaths and 0 cases? thats akin to saying we would have to shut everything until we 0 deaths from winter flu epidemic, its a disease/virus like any other , all these restrictions are to flatten the curve, to get over the surge so our ICUs can cope, they will cope with a few deaths a day ad maybe 50-90 cases a day no problem. we will develop herd immunity too so probably wont get a second huge surge maybe an aftershock slight jump thats all. Again government will advise those vulnerable to cocoon still and those out in public to social distance. you can easily social distance in a bi pub limited to 70 people. smaller pubs can limit to 20, it can go by sq. meters per pub the bigger the more are admitted.

Cant wait to go and shout all night at my friends who are lining the bar the furthest 12m away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,982 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The entities that will open slowly and gradually will have to observe full social distancing for a long while yet. There is no other way really.

That's why pubs, clubs, restaurants and foreign holidays will be the last to be unleashed. The recipient countries of foreign holidays, much as they may wish to regenerate their tourism are in the same boat re social distancing. I wish it were different, but I can't see it yet.

I will hold my hand up and say I would be reluctant to mingle in crowds, pubs, airplanes for a while. I am not alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The entities that will open slowly and gradually will have to observe full social distancing for a long while yet. There is no other way really.

That's why pubs, clubs, restaurants and foreign holidays will be the last to be unleashed. The recipient countries of foreign holidays, much as they may wish to regenerate their tourism are in the same boat re social distancing. I wish it were different, but I can't see it yet.

I will hold my hand up and say I would be reluctant to mingle in crowds, pubs, airplanes for a while. I am not alone.

The fun stuff will definitely be the last to open as you have said.

When it's all over though....

giphy.gif

The fun stuff will definitely be the last to open as you have said.

When it's all over though....

giphy.gif

Love it.

We need cheering up and all that. But have to be realistic too I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

And you would be hopeful that people would have enough common sense that if they feel poorly or in the vulnerable bracket, they maybe wouldn't venture into crowds until its safe to do so.

None of the places listed above are essential as you say, and I know that if ever had a dose on me before, going out for pints or for a meal would be the least of my worries. We all have missed night outs etc due to feeling unwell.

I think some people are assuming that EVERYONE will stream into pubs and other premises en masse as soon as the green light is given. In reality, that's not the case. With some common sense, I don't see how they would be that much of a petri dish for infection if managed right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Anyone who thinks pubs will be closed until October / November has no idea just how powerful a Lobby group the LVA are. Also, airlines will be throwing cheap flight at people to entice them on.

There will be lots of people willing to sit in a pub with friends they won't have seen in months or jump on a flight in August / September for a holiday.

Some may not like it but those are facts. It's also fairly clear that with over 90% of deaths being people over 65 a lot of people will rightly or wrongly believe it won't affect them, which is pretty much how are brain are hardwired anyway. Otherwise we never set foot in a car.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

And you would be hopeful that people would have enough common sense that if they feel poorly or in the vulnerable bracket, they maybe wouldn't venture into crowds until its safe to do so.

None of the places listed above are essential as you say, and I know that if ever had a dose on me before, going out for pints or for a meal would be the least of my worries. We all have missed night outs etc due to feeling unwell.

I think some people are assuming that EVERYONE will stream into pubs and other premises en masse as soon as the green light is given. In reality, that's not the case. With some common sense, I don't see how they would be that much of a petri dish for infection if managed right.

Fair enough. Can't see social distancing in a pub working though, sure it's the whole reason for a pub isn't it, you know to be social and close up?

But those without symptoms are spreading it too, like the kids, and schools were closed before the pubs were (I think!).

But anyway, everyone can make their own decisions about risk and all that when things open again, was just saying my piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Pubs will be amongst the last to open alright

Still not sure the government can afford to keep paying for all in the hospitality sector

Take Killarney

No American tourists

No Hotels

No Restaurants

No Pubs

No concerts

Very little left there

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Still not sure the government can afford to keep paying for all in the hospitality sector

Take Killarney

No American tourists

No Hotels

No Restaurants

No Pubs

No concerts

Very little left there

It will be tough alright, and not just confined to Killarney either.

The longer it goes on, the more people will just say Feck It, and go ahead.

I'm not sure I would be so confident myself, but hey ho. That's just me.

BACK and tan lol.

I think that flights will get going faster than people anticipate, but the model will be different. I work for a major international research and data company, whose research reports are fundamental to a lot of market participants. Our airline industry forecasts are being modelled on the adoption of social distancing principles....all the middle seats in economy being removed for example. Passenger loads per plane will be substantially reduced. Therefore the pricing model will have to change and the concept of pricing to fill planes to current capacity will be completely out the window. With a maximum load of, at best, 2/3, we are looking at more expensive flights and likely the end, at least in the short term, of regular 20 euro hops to Barcelona and the likes for for the weekend. And many airlines will just not be viable

Who knows. Even the airline industry experts don’t know for sure which model will prevail. But it is one area that will not return to ‘normal’ for a long time (which is probably not a bad thing from an environmental perspective)

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Can't see social distancing in a pub working though, sure it's the whole reason for a pub isn't it, you know to be social and close up?

But those without symptoms are spreading it too, like the kids, and schools were closed before the pubs were (I think!).

But anyway, everyone can make their own decisions about risk and all that when things open again, was just saying my piece.

Schools and creches should be eased back in from May I would say. Pubs and restaurants a month or two after that.

Take Killarney

No American tourists

No Hotels

No Restaurants

No Pubs

No concerts

Very little left there

You left out

No Dubs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

You think people would know by now that they can have and spread the virus without showing symptoms.

I think that pubs will be last to open. I think we could see the gardai restrictions relaxed in the summer meaning we can go exercise outside of 2km. I think older people will be recommended to stay in and stay safe. Restaurants might be allowed to open again with social distancing enforced.

I can't see pubs, gigs or large gatherings opening for a long time.

Maybe they'll tell us to pick a social bubble and stick to it.

. Our airline industry forecasts are being modelled on the adoption of social distancing principles....all the middle seats in economy being removed for example. Passenger loads per plane will be substantially reduced. Therefore the pricing model will have to change and the concept of pricing to fill planes to current capacity will be completely out the window. With a maximum load of, at best, 2/3, we are looking at more expensive flights and likely the end, at least in the short term, of regular 20 euro hops to Barcelona and the likes for for the weekend. And many airlines will just not be viable

Who knows. Even the airline industry experts don’t know for sure which model will prevail. But it is one area that will not return to ‘normal’ for a long time (which is probably not a bad thing from an environmental perspective)

I dunno, but if social distancing is a thing, you could be right, and then travel is confined to those who can afford it again because everyone has to pay for six seats instead of one. Not sure if the middle seat being removed will comply with the 2 metre distancing either but whatever.

And also, we have to think of recipient countries. Will they be delighted to welcome potential carriers of the virus, or will they impose a quarantine.

I am not even thinking of foreign travel for a long while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

JRant wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks pubs will be closed until October / November has no idea just how powerful a Lobby group the LVA are. Also, airlines will be throwing cheap flight at people to entice them on.

There will be lots of people willing to sit in a pub with friends they won't have seen in months or jump on a flight in August / September for a holiday.
    I don't agree. If the virus is still around, and if public health doctors are saying to stay out of pubs, then it doesn't matter what the vitners do. People will not go into pubs.

Business has to follow public health, not before. In fairness to public health doctors, they are clued in about the economic impacts of their decisions, and are often less eager than the public to impose restrictions - I think they'll work hard (worldwide) to open the maximum amount they can, but still restrict the virus from spreading.

I dunno, but if social distancing is a thing, you could be right, and then travel is confined to those who can afford it again because everyone has to pay for six seats instead of one. Not sure if the middle seat being removed will comply with the 2 metre distancing either but whatever.

And also, we have to think of recipient countries. Will they be delighted to welcome potential carriers of the virus, or will they impose a quarantine.

Anticipated to be less rows as well, and stricter boarding protocols slowing down turnaround. More limited onboard services, so less ancillary revenue. Plus masks and improved HEPA air filtration. And though it is expected that there will be a global acceptance for the recommencing of international travel relatively soon (to facilitate cross border business / trade as much as tourism) , there will have to be robust (and expensive) insurance / refund schemes in place for if and when an individual country has a COVID 19 spike, and does a short term lockdown.

All said, a huge increase in the cost base against a more limited revenue stream, So only one way that manifests: airline consolidation and fare increases. Back to the eighties, or at least the nineties

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JRant wrote: »

Some may not like it but those are facts. It's also fairly clear that with over 90% of deaths being people over 65 a lot of people will rightly or wrongly believe it won't affect them, which is pretty much how are brain are hardwired anyway. Otherwise we never set foot in a car.

I'd agree with you on the LVA point.
    I think people are missing the point here to that the dept health here are following WHO guidelines, WHO have said themselves today that a social life will have to resume without a vaccine, given that nobody can say with any certainty that one will exist in a year, 18 months or whatever the timeframe might be, in the words of the WHO, life cant be paralysed by the virus. It'll be up to each person to adhere to strict hygiene rules and etiquette.

Denmark and others plan to open restaurants hotels and bars about a month/2 months into the reopening phase so we'll be able to see from their experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

You think people would know by now that they can have and spread the virus without showing symptoms.

I think that pubs will be last to open. I think we could see the gardai restrictions relaxed in the summer meaning we can go exercise outside of 2km. I think older people will be recommended to stay in and stay safe. Restaurants might be allowed to open again with social distancing enforced.

I can't see pubs, gigs or large gatherings opening for a long time.

Maybe they'll tell us to pick a social bubble and stick to it.

By that logic, I'm just as likely to pick it up in my local Lidl, probably more so as I have noticed very little social distancing when it comes to handling and grabbing around the vegetable aisles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

By that logic, I'm just as likely to pick it up in my local Lidl, probably more so as I have noticed very little social distancing when it comes to handling and grabbing around the vegetable aisles.

There is a good chance of it, everyone needs to eat, so large well known superstores with high traffic would have a higher chance than say ur local little store, its a numbers game really, risk vs necessity

The odd few getting it here and there is manageable, the big fear is large amounts of people getting it at once, thus the restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Truth is none of us know sh1t. Bear that in mind when throwing arguments forcefully at each other ok?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Truth is none of us know sh1t. Bear that in mind when throwing arguments forcefully at each other ok?

"You got any studies or statistics to back that up?"

Everyone suddenly becomes a philosopher and a master of statistics when they hit boards.:D:D

**disingenuous** is the latest buzz word i see the hip kids throwing around these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭moonage

Most of the population is eventually going to become infected with the virus, hopefully resulting in herd immunity.

The trick is to gradually lift the restrictions in a way that doesn't overwhelm the health service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I could hold ur hand sitting beside you with the middle seat out of the plane while infecting the person to the opposite side by talking to them

Poster is talking ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

moonage wrote: »
    Most of the population is eventually going to become infected with the virus, hopefully resulting in herd immunity.

The trick is to gradually lift the restrictions in a way that doesn't overwhelm the health service.

Our heros will protect us. There is nobody on trollies anymore. Abracadabra. Masks, gowns and visors PPE. When the PPE Is sorted the war can be won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Paddygreen wrote:
    Our heros will protect us. There is nobody on trollies anymore. Abracadabra. Masks, gowns and visors PPE. When the PPE Is sorted the war can be won.

Incorrect.. When we get the R0 under 1 the virus starts to die out as a spreader Weeks or months after our infection levels drop and then our death level hopefully stops . After that lets see.. . China will be the case study for total immunity

Take Killarney

No American tourists

No Hotels

No Restaurants

No Pubs

No concerts

Very little left there

At that stage the local pubs (if any are left), coffee shops, B&B, AIRBNB all along the Wild Atlantic Way will have stopped posting on Facebook for DUBS to go home and not serving them in their shops and petrol stations. They'll be screaming for them to return and spend their money.

Its tourism that created and sustained the Wild Atlantic Way. Be careful what you wish for.
    There was too much hysteria about the Easter exodus which actually didn't happen. Too many curtain twitchers. Its Irish people that will help tourism recover in the short to medium term, many of them will be Dubs. (I'm not a Dub :D)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

The “war will be won” when we decide to let those who want to fight this virus go about their lives as normal

Let those who want to isolate do so too

We cannot ask that the large majority have their lives destroyed to protect the very small numbers who will die from this

Surely even those at risk cannot be so selfish as to demand that 99% of Irish people accept economic depression the likes not seen since the Great Depression

Time to open up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,577 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Paddygreen wrote: »

So, Paddy, are you going to be locked inside voluntarily until your vaccine is ready?

The **** you are!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The “war will be won” when we decide to let those who want to fight this virus go about their lives as normal

We cannot ask that the large majority have their lives destroyed to protect the very small numbers who will die from this

Surely even those at risk cannot be so selfish as to demand that 99% of Irish people accept economic depression the likes not seen since the Great Depression

Time to open up

Imagine being so selfish to think that your life is worth more than another persons entertainment. Absolute scum of the earth, worse than Hitler. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,915 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Time to open up

Yeah majority of Irish people find life more important than money. As much as it annoys the greedy. Economy is simply not the priority.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement