Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

KiKi III wrote: »
    This just isn’t true.

Without these restrictions we would be like other countries reporting hundreds of deaths every day due to Covid 19. We had 352 suicide last year.

You're numbers for suicides for last year are incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I imagine those generations that were affected by the likes of cholera and polio wouldn't be viewing it as soft to avoid wiping out millions of lives.

Then why didn't they lockdown to contain poliovirus?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I have asked this so many times - maybe I'll get an answer: what is the alternative? There's none - other than risking hundreds of deaths a day.
    Well you've answered your own question. The Swede's are taking a punt on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

fair enough. a little empathy would go along way however, there is rightly plenty for the victims of the virus but perhaps spare some for those trapped in their own private nightmare.
    I very much do.

There are mere whingers, who couldn't give a toss about the virus because they feel ok so what's the problem.

I don't view folks like yourselves in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I very much do.

There are mere whingers, who couldn't give a toss about the virus because they feel ok so what's the problem.

thanks but i'm not quite there yet personally thank god. i'm just strongly reminded of the suicide epidemic that hit us after the last recession

thanks but i'm not quite there yet personally thank god. i'm just strongly reminded of the suicide epidemic that hit us after the last recession

Provisional vigures
    I am going to send you a personal message if that is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Well there could be far more suicides if we just allow families to be wiped out by the disease by lifting restrictions.
    This is an unpleasant situation and many will suffer because of it, but the Gov are doing what they can to minimise suffering.

I very much do.

There's no way for you to know the intentions or motivations of others.

Anyone could ascribe bad motives to someone they disagreed with.

KiKi III wrote: »

I replied to the wrong person.
    Thoes figures are provisional reported.
    Is ok if I send you a personal message

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

growleaves wrote: »
    There's no way for you to know the intentions or motivations of others.

Anyone could ascribe bad motives to someone they disagreed with.
    Like the way you and others are accusing those in support of the measures as fascistic/totalitarian supporting? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

some people are already clearly struggling mentally.

they are being told to suck it up.

sounds familiar.

They don't have a choice

Like the way you and others are accusing those in support of the measures as fascistic/totalitarian supporting?

Nah I doubt if any of those people are supporters of fascism or totalitarianism.

I did say on the other thread that the people who wanted the gardai to beat people with sticks had 'totalitarian fantasies'. No one objected to that characterisation lol

People who want the army to be like a miliarised police are just really unwise. Ireland is one of the best countries in the world to live because stuff like that is utterly alien. We even have a relaxed police force that don't carry guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

ITman88 wrote: »
    So we do follow what the UK officials have implemented then?

Why are you obsessed with mirroring the UK or the only other option is to do the polar opposite to them? That's weird.

The UK have royally ****ed this up and I mean that from every conceivable angle.

We're doing a decent job under very stressful circumstances and don't need to be looking to the UK for advice or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

If there is ever a major war again in this part of the world it will probably last all of a week before the white flag is raised lest anyone be discommoded, anyone suffer a mental breakdown or the economy suffers.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

jmayo wrote: »
    If there is ever a major war again in this part of the world it will probably last all of a week before the white flag is raised lest anyone be discommoded, anyone suffer a mental breakdown or the economy suffers.

Woeful pile of muck here

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

State exams going ahead.

Restrictions will be lifted soon enough, I think the powers that be will make the most sensible decision for us April 12th will see a relaxing of current restrictions and hopefully schools back.

Restrictions will be lifted soon enough, I think the powers that be will make the most sensible decision for us April 12th will see a relaxing of current restrictions and hopefully schools back.

No they won't. Schools won't be back before summer holidays.
    Also, these restrictions will remain after April 12.
    Couple more weeks, worth it in the long run....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

HBC08 wrote: »
    We're doing a decent job under very stressful circumstances and don't need to be looking to the UK for advice or anything else.

Seeing as we share a land border it would be nice if the UK and the Republic were synchronised.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,568 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

jmayo wrote: »

I think you'll find you couldn't fight a war for very long without an economy.

Discommoded? Not even worth a response to deliberately baiting words.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

State exams going ahead.

I doubt that

I've been working from home since early March, no one in my team expects to go back to the office befor at least mid May if not June

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

bubblypop wrote: »
    No they won't. Schools won't be back before summer holidays.
    Also, these restrictions will remain after April 12.
    Couple more weeks, worth it in the long run....

Coveney literally just said the current restrictions would likely be extended. Your post is wishful thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

State exams going ahead.

A few geriatrics mainly clustered in nursing homes make up the most of what has died so far.

Take out anybody over 70 and how many are dead?

How many of the under 60's would have died in the same period in car crashes alone.

Lets cocoon anybody on pension age and start going back to work so that we can provide the support these older people need.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

easypazz wrote: »
    A few geriatrics mainly clustered in nursing homes make up the most of what has died so far.

How many of the under 60's would have died in the same period in car crashes alone.

Lets cocoon anybody on pension age and start going back to work so that we can provide the support these older people need.

That's s bit callous

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

State exams going ahead.

Lol you think they will lift the restrictions 2 days before the current projected peak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Seeing as we share a land border it would be nice if the UK and the Republic were synchronised.

Did the North and Republic not agree a joint approach yesterday?

Stheno wrote: »
    That's s bit callous

Worded harshly but it looks like if we cocoon the elderly for a while things can start to return toward normal.

I would like to see more detail on the deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

easypazz wrote: »

And hospitals will still be overwhelmed by patients as while those ages are the most vulnerable many many young people still require hospitalisation to beat this thing.

How do people still not understand this simple fact?

VinLieger wrote: »
    And hospitals will still be overwhelmed by patients as while those ages are the most vulnerable many many young people still require hospitalisation to beat this thing.

How do people still not understand this simple fact?

Herd immunity, as more people get it the pressure eases off.

It needs to be a balanced exit strategy.

Take the old people out of the firing line, that reduces the death count, then gradually ease restrictions and see how many need assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

given the state the economy is going to be i fear
    how many people are going to die in coming years in an already crumbling health service that
    is going to be cut to the bone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement