Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

khalessi wrote: »
    Why bring transmissions up the aim is to stay below and not overwhelm

To keep them below capacity but keep them close to capacity to safely speed up herd immunity.

The objective for now is to keep transmissions low. Relaxing restrictions would be completely contrary to keeping transmissions low.

Do you think relaxing restrictions would lower transmissions or speed up transmissions?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

bluelamp wrote: »
    It will be tough to work out a safe way for the pubs / clubs to operate.

It will be reasonably easy for cafes and restaurants to adapt, less tables, restricted numbers, more outdoor seating in summer, order at the till and collect at the till for staff safety etc. They will adapt.

The sneeze screens, hand sanitiser, one way aisles, and restricted numbers in supermarkets isn't a major inconvenience to anyone so that will continue just fine.

Some of these ideas would work in pubs too, but it would be really difficult to get patrons to comply as the night gets later I think.

The WHO doctor on radio 1 yesterday basically advised that normal life will have to resume before a vaccine but people will have to take their own social responsibility, if your feeling unwell you dont go to matches, concerts, pubs etc.

Pubs I think will reopen over the summer with reduced hours and a capped capacity at the start, but at some point I can see pubs etc resuming normal hours just with a capped capacity. Concerts and major sporting events would be a good way off yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

To be honest I could professional sports back just without spectators.

Like I know you'd say teams rely on gate receipts but at the same time behind closed doors with some TV money or nothing at all will be an interesting one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

dont like to say told you so but .......

personal responsibility will come into play, people will be sick and die just hopefully not all at once. i was talking to five lads that were in cheltenham , they all believe they got it some had a fever for half a day and hard to breath other just felt a bit groggy , none went to hospital just took parecetomol and self isolated

To be honest I could professional sports back just without spectators.

Like I know you'd say teams rely on gate receipts but at the same time behind closed doors with some TV money or nothing at all will be an interesting one

Could easily see sports restarting behind closed doors. Would be strange to see but it's better than nothing.

A strange few months coming in, I dont expect to be at a football match before October / November

• Advertisement

He believes that the government wants to achieve herd immunity in a controlled way and so is trying to get more people infected, but not too many at a time.

Precisely. Keep transmissions high to achieve herd immunity sooner but never let the transmissions get higher then the health service can deal with the acute cases. It will still take years but it might be the only way through if a vaccine isn’t possible. Plus it allows some economic activity.

The alternative is to stay in lockdown until a vaccine is available in 1/2/5/10 years - or maybe never. Relaxing restrictions WILL speed up transmissions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

AdamD wrote: »
    This is stupid. Of course it matters, the US economy going down would hurt ours. So would locking our own economy down. You realise there are different levels of hurt right? Doing both hurts us more than just the US having issues.

Its not difficult to comprehend this stuff

If america tanks, we do too, it really isnt that difficult to understand, if they are in great depression we will be aswell, the point im making is lifting the lockdown isnt the great economy savior that ppl are hoping it will be.

For instance we lift our lockdown and rock back to normal tomorrow, but most european countries stay in lockdown... america stays in lockdown.. what do we do? sit here twiddling our thumbs? so ya as i was saying, our lockdown is insignificant in the grand scheme of things and how we fare very much depends on other countries.. it really isnt hard to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

The WHO doctor on radio 1 yesterday basically advised that normal life will have to resume before a vaccine but people will have to take their own social responsibility, if your feeling unwell you dont go to matches, concerts, pubs etc.

Pubs I think will reopen over the summer with reduced hours and a capped capacity at the start, but at some point I can see pubs etc resuming normal hours just with a capped capacity. Concerts and major sporting events would be a good way off yet.

I would say increased hours for pubs, allows people spread out more.

A lot of people might go out midweek instead since it is often quieter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yea dont shorten the time, maybe designate pubs to open, auld lad pubs in rural areas or quiet ones in towns , with no music etc, there might be a few the first day but wouldnt get a crowd on top of each other at all.

easypazz wrote: »
    I would say increased hours for pubs, allows people spread out more.

A lot of people might go out midweek instead since it is often quieter.

Pubs are Miles off. Why would they open pubs before the whole thing is under control? It's an enclosed environment where people will be getting drunk and are less likely to distance. It would speed up transmission so much with so little economic activity.

I'd say the idea of pubs opening, before the whole thing is in under control, is just wishful thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, at least it'll put the Mimimum Unit Pricing bull**** to bed for a while...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    yea dont shorten the time, maybe designate pubs to open, auld lad pubs in rural areas or quiet ones in towns , with no music etc, there might be a few the first day but wouldnt get a crowd on top of each other at all.

Ah come on. The few pubs that open would be mobbed. Novelty value plus you could get a nice cold pint in the summer. Only place to go to meet people at night. They’d be mobbed.

Lads, the denial is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Ah come on. The few pubs that open would be mobbed. Novelty value plus you could get a nice cold pint in the summer. Only place to go to meet people at night. They’d be mobbed.

Some here are in deep denial. They still haven't accepted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Maybe have senior citizen hours in a pub, like they do in supermarkets at the minute. Except from say 1-5. Most ould lads go in during the afternoon anyway and are home for the dinner, and very few would be in a pub when the younger crowd start taking up room anyway.

I can see some pubs that have the capacity designating their lounge section for the older clientele though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Cupatae wrote: »
    If america tanks, we do too, it really isnt that difficult to understand, if they are in great depression we will be aswell, the point im making is lifting the lockdown isnt the great economy savior that ppl are hoping it will be.

For instance we lift our lockdown and rock back to normal tomorrow, but most european countries stay in lockdown... america stays in lockdown.. what do we do? sit here twiddling our thumbs? so ya as i was saying, our lockdown is insignificant in the grand scheme of things and how we fare very much depends on other countries.. it really isnt hard to understand.

We have a domestic economy...

America and the rest of the world are utterly irrelevant to most Irish SMEs. Having them not go to the wall matters.

Pubs are Miles off. Why would they open pubs before the whole thing is under control? It's an enclosed environment where people will be getting drunk and are less likely to distance. It would speed up transmission so much with so little economic activity.

I'd say the idea of pubs opening, before the whole thing is in under control, is just wishful thinking.

Life will go back to some sort of normality before a vaccine that's for sure, nobody can put dates on it, but pubs etc wont be closed until this is all over, not a chance.

The LVA will put pressure for measures to be put in place for them to open, publicans themselves are preparing to open at some point over the summer.

As for wishful thinking, the social aspect of life was addressed by WHO yesterday and they've even said we'll have to essentially get on with it with an increased social responsibility, if you've a cough, a sniffle whatever, then you dont go to work and you dont go to social gatherings.

I dont think football stadiums etc will see fans in them for 6 months or more but there is ways to limit capacity in bars etc.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Some here are in deep denial. They still haven't accepted it.

Accepted what exactly?? Governments and experts have all started to indicate they'll reopen things gradually. They've all accepted people can't stay in lockdown it's not possible.

Theres an acceptance even at international level from the WHO that the world cant stand still until theres a vaccine and its not even a sure thing at the moment that there will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

They may loosen some restrictions to bring transmissions back up to meet ICU capacity, but I’d expect it to be temporary.

Zero chance of recreational business opening - pubs are miles away from opening. Agree that gigs etc are off for the year and until we have herd immunity one way or the other.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned already in the thread but I got word yesterday from a person who should be in the know (can't mention who they are, sozzz) about a meeting with a minister that, depending massively on how the next 2-3 weeks go and if a plateau or dip is reached:

Normie shops open first, places where people wouldn't be mingling for long periods. Wait 10-14 days, see if numbers are affected or keep dipping.

If things go well? Hairdressers/restaurants. 10-14 days, same deal.

Optimistic outlook, mentioned as some kind of hope-tinged olive branch I reckon - with huge cutdown of allowed patrons - pubs/hotels could be June Bank Holiday. There won't be enough allowed in anywhere for everybody to BE out, so it makes no sense to me because the towns would still be clogged with revellers. 10-14 days, realise they made a terrible mistake (likely if they do it imo, towns will be swamped),

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Is it the social side or the drink side that you think people miss from the pub?

Drink side - nothing stopping pubs from doing a delivery service as it stands.

grindle wrote: »
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned already in the thread but I got word yesterday from a person who should be in the know (can't mention who they are, sozzz) about a meeting with a minister that, depending massively on how the next 2-3 weeks go and if a plateau or dip is reached:

Normie shops open first, places where people wouldn't be mingling for long periods. Wait 10-14 days, see if numbers are affected or keep dipping.

Optimistic outlook, mentioned as some kind of hope-tinged olive branch I reckon - with huge cutdown of allowed patrons - pubs/hotels could be June Bank Holiday. There won't be enough allowed in anywhere for everybody to BE out, so it makes no sense to me because the towns would still be clogged with revellers. 10-14 days, realise they made a terrible mistake (likely if they do it imo, towns will be swamped),

As much as I'd love to meet up with mates for a pint and a catch up over the bank holiday I can't see it being that quick. July at the earliest would be my guess.

When they reopen things and the CMO mentioned it today they'll need 2 weeks to review the measures. So realistically say open some shops first week of may, review in 2 weeks time, things are ok then a week later more open, so your giving a 3 week window like what we have now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭growleaves

Entry to pubs is already often tightly controlled by bouncers, so 'mobbing' won't be a problem.

As much as I'd love to meet up with mates for a pint and a catch up over the bank holiday I can't see it being that quick. July at the earliest would be my guess.

When they reopen things and the CMO mentioned it today they'll need 2 weeks to review the measures. So realistically say open some shops first week of may, review in 2 weeks time, things are ok then a week later more open, so your giving a 3 week window like what we have now.

I'm mentioning what a minister was likely trying to bluff some people with so they weren't too rabid during the meeting and I agree with your assessment.

growleaves wrote: »
    Entry to pubs is already often tightly controlled by bouncers, so 'mobbing' won't be a problem.

Towns would still be mobbed.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Is it the social side or the drink side that you think people miss from the pub?

Social 100%, can drink away at home but its completely different to going out for a catch up after work on a Friday for example.

At the end of the day we just have to wait and see and watch how other countries ahead of us get on first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Sounds basically what the EU commission released today as glide lines for easing restrictions.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Sounds basically what the EU commission released today as glide lines for easing restrictions.

It is, but the numbers given in-meeting were more short-term and pushing it too near I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

That's basically what Germany are doing. From May 4, exam students return, hairdressers with correct setup can open, and shops less than 800 square meters can open. This will be monitored for 2 weeks before restrictions are lifted or tightened.

Restaurants will remain closed. All other students stay home and there will be no large event gatherings, including religious, before August 31st.

jester77 wrote: »
    That's basically what Germany are doing. From May 4, exam students return, hairdressers with correct setup can open, and shops less than 800 square meters can open. This will be monitored for 2 weeks before restrictions are lifted or tightened.

Restaurants will remain closed. All other students stay home and there will be no large event gatherings, including religious, before August 31st.

Belgium using the August 31st date also with regards to mass gatherings and set to follow a pretty similar plan as the germans.
    I wonder did the EU provide the plan in terms of dates given the comments made this morning about the EU bloc opening as one

Ace2007 wrote: »

Who stays in a bare lifeless and empty pub? its the social side of course that attracts people. Nothing stopping people buying from off licences at the moment (for much cheaper too)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

AdamD wrote: »
    We have a domestic economy...

America and the rest of the world are utterly irrelevant to most Irish SMEs. Having them not go to the wall matters.

No.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement