Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

easypazz wrote: »
    You can't get a pint of draught beer at home..

There are ways

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/perfect-draft-range/perfect-draft-bundles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Graingers Hanlons Corner Dublin

That's great if you live near there.

No use to most people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭growleaves

Coronavirus lockdown could be worst hit to UK economy since 18th century

All those Charles Dickens novels with gangs of orphans were set during the recession after the Napoleonic wars at the beginning of the 19th century. Apparently this contraction could be worse than that. Lets hope we 'bounce back'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

That's great if you live near there.

No use to most people though.

Doesn't matter - one it prove you were wrong and two doesn't stop your local from doing it if they wanted to - and if locals wanted to keep customer to a local business...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The notion that you can hit the pause button on an economy is utterly absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Airborne transmission is "plausible" according to some studies suggesting that C-19 could remain airborne for "up to 3 hours". I remember reading an article about a month ago from Chinese scientists that made this suggestion too when looking into patients and the source of their infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Switzerlands plans to relax restrictions
    From April 27, 2020 , hospitals can again perform all procedures, including non-urgent ones. Outpatient medical practices such as dentists or physiotherapists as well as hairdressing, massage and cosmetic studios are allowed to resume operations. Hardware stores, garden centers, flower shops and garden centers can open again.
    From April 27, the range restrictions in grocery stores will also be lifted. If everyday goods and other goods are on the sales area of ​​the grocery store, they may be sold.
    On May 11, 2020 , the compulsory schools and shops will reopen - if the situation permits. The Federal Council wants to make the decision on April 29.
    From June 8, 2020 , secondary schools, vocational schools and universities as well as museums, zoos and libraries should reopen. The Federal Council will decide on the details of this stage on May 27.
    The Federal Council has not yet passed any decisions on further stages. At which of his next meetings will he decide when major events will be possible again.

Doesn't matter - one it prove you were wrong and two doesn't stop your local from doing it if they wanted to - and if locals wanted to keep customer to a local business...

It hasn't proved me wrong, I can't get a pint of draught at home.

Regarding my local bars, where are they going to get the beer now that Guinness have stopped producing and delivering kegs?

Same goes for that pub in Dublin BTW.

And anybody offering a keg at home service.

They won't be able to get kegs, and whatever Guinness they have left is approaching out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

It hasn't proved me wrong, I can't get a pint of draught at home.

Regarding my local bars, where are they going to get the beer now that Guinness have stopped producing and delivering kegs?

Same goes for that pub in Dublin BTW.

And anybody offering a keg at home service.

They won't be able to get kegs, and whatever Guinness they have left is approaching out of date.

Unopened kegs have a shelf life of 2-3 months. By which time production lines will almost definitely have reopened.

So what’s your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote: »
    Unopened kegs have a shelf life of 2-3 months. By which time production lines will almost definitely have reopened.

So what’s your point?

Point is I can't get a pint at home, which I was told I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

growleaves wrote: »
    Coronavirus lockdown could be worst hit to UK economy since 18th century

All those Charles Dickens novels with gangs of orphans were set during the recession after the Napoleonic wars at the beginning of the 19th century. Apparently this contraction could be worse than that. Lets hope we 'bounce back'.

Didn't know 'we' were part of the uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If the numbers keep falling people won’t take more after May 5th

From where will they be getting the kegs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Point is I can't get a pint at home, which I was told I can.

Based on your posts here, laying off the pints might not be the worst decision you ever made.

From where will they be getting the kegs?

Why don't you ring them and find out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I have read supermarket workers complaining about people buying non essential goods like junk food and coke. This annoys me as the supermarkets work all year round to get me addicted to sugar with their discounts and now they say it is unacceptable for me to go out and buy coke whenever they helped create my emotional dependency on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Yeah, for about 120 years...

Why don't you ring them and find out?

Because I know Guinness are not producing or delivering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Gael23 wrote: »

But the numbers haven't been falling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The mood music suggests that they would like to be in a position to ease them. In the interim expect lots of "nowhere near that point yet".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

But the numbers haven't been falling?
    Hospital and ICU admissions have been stable so the anticipated pressure has not materialised to date.

Because I know Guinness are not producing or delivering.

What's the harm in a 2 minute phone call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

ok if that's what you think...

It's the way it will be, until there is a vaccine.

We aren't.

But the economic destruction of our largest trading partner might inconvenience us somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

seamus wrote: »
    Your implication here is that even with distancing measures, the health system will become overrun.

We are where are now though not because distancing was ineffective, but because the virus already had a very strong foothold before we even put distancing measures in place.

When it comes to relaxing restrictions, it's apples and oranges. The health system is different from its state on March 12th. Different in capacity, different in procedure, different in staff allocation.
    Society is different. Understanding is different, attitudes are different.

So the short answer is that we don't know just how effective distancing may or may not be in the medium-term, based on our reconfigured society.

While people have been erroneously pointing to Sweden as an example of a country surviving without a lockdown, Sweden has shown that distancing can be effective in a limited fashion.

It seems likely that allowing the virus to spread in a limited fashion is feasible, provided that the transmission rate can be kept down (probably 1.2 or lower) *AND* vulnerable groups are protected.

We know that the vast majority of hospitalisations are vulnerable groups. So it seems logical that any relaxation of restrictions will need to include measures to limit their exposure.
    Higher transmission rates amongst the rest of the population may then be OK. Hospitalisation rates in general are about 9% of infections based on global numbers. Which only takes into account people actually tested. So the true hospitalisation rate might be significantly less again.

If you remove the over 70s and people with underlying conditions, that hospitalisation rate drops to about 0.5%. Of which about a third will end up in ICU.

The question is whether we have hospital capacity for that. I don't know, but optimistic bad numbers I'm running here, say that we do. So long as we can keep vulnerable groups protected.

Yeah, some things will have changed. The health services capacity has increased. Supplied of ppe and other necessaries has been secured. People understand social distancing and are getting more used to observing it - obvious exceptions notwithstanding.

As you said we would have lower rates of transmission now than before the lockdown and hospitals could deal with higher levels of acute cases.

But it's also necessary to acknowledge that lifting restrictions will increase transmissions. And if transmission levels get too high, then there will need to be lockdown again. And that's not the end of the world, we can go into lockdown again.

The higher the ICU capacity and the higher the level of transmissions possible without overwhelming the ICU, the sooner we can get herd immunity and get through this thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

is_that_so wrote: »
    Hospital and ICU admissions have been stable so the anticipated pressure has not materialised to date.

This is true. Medical staff want to get back to their usual work. The next debate will be: 'Job well done or hysterical overreaction?'. The mods will have their work cut out on that one.:D

This is true. Medical staff want to get back to their usual work. The next debate will be: 'Job well done or hysterical overreaction?'. The mods will have their work cut out on that one.

That debate has already begun in the megathread.

Me: Dr. Fauci's model, and Imperial college's model, over-estimated the projected mortality rate by a considerable margin.

Other posters: You're a bad person!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

They aren't falling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

eleventh wrote: »
    If this research was on covid19, can you post a link to it please.
    It's on the ability for coughs and sneezes to propel droplets way beyond two metres and that droplets were found to hang in the air for up to ten minutes. Unless Covid-19 is magically different to a virus like influenza which spreads in a similar way through aerosolised droplets, though is nearly half as contagious.

Here's some Japanese research on microdroplets and their possible transmission risk. It certainly shows them hanging in the air for a lot longer than the seconds usually believed.

Now look at the massive difference a basic surgical mask makes.

There's some more from that channel IIRC(feck, just noticed you have to open the youtube link directly, sorry).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement