Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah, he said that until we get a vaccine we will be as we are now :(

People have been with them on it up to now but there will be pushback unless they ease it a bit in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

People have been with them on it up to now but there will be pushback unless they ease it a bit in May.

Harris said as much when restrictions were introduced. He said there was only a certain length of time people would be willing to adhere to the guidelines.

JRant wrote: »
    Schools should absolutely be opened up in May. They'll be closed over 2 months by the time May 5th comes around.
    Well that would be a great way to have a resurgence of it...
    Yeah, he said that until we get a vaccine we will be as we are now :(

Imagine we will face a lot of distancing and such for next year or so. Similar steps around limiting numbers in shops etc. 50:50 wfh is something I imagine is a possibility just to allow for distancing in offices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Snorlaxx

Real News or Fake News, sorry forgot attachment

[IMG][/img]Untitled.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Snorlaxx wrote: »

[IMG][/img]Untitled.png

Fake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Snorlaxx wrote: »

[IMG][/img]Untitled.png

Confirmed hoax

Here's a chart using a log scale for folk into such things....
    509859.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Varadkar didn't come right out and say it but it's looking like the lockdown will continue after May 5th.

I think they need to ease things a bit though when we get to the 5th, they need to bring the people with them on this and nobody is going to put up with things the way they are all summer.

"The people" need to grow up and realise this isn't a fcuking movie with a happy ending. Restrictions wil be in place until the HSE tell the government it's time to relax them. If that's mid May then great, if it's mid August then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

BanditLuke wrote: »
    "The people" need to grow up and realise this isn't a fcuking movie with a happy ending. Restrictions wil be in place until the HSE tell the government it's time to relax them. If that's mid May then great, if it's mid August then so be it.

I think people are trying to be realistic and not thinking like yourself that we should all lockdown until their is a vaccine. It's called living in the real world

pjohnson wrote: »
    Gemma and John are fighting the good fight for the boyos wanting the lockdown hastily stopped.

I think John is posting on here tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

When some people talk about easing restrictions here, it sounds to me like they think all will be back to normal on the 6th May and life will return as before.

I know most people don't think that, but there is a cohort out there going mad for it.

I'd like to know what people think an easing of restrictions (if it happens) will mean. To me, it will be a gradual return to work for certain industries like construction, public transport will still be off limits except for those going to work, those WFH to continue to do so, no re opening of places of gatherings, like pubs, restaurants, coffee shops etc., no concerts or sports, social distancing maintained and a continuation of the quarantine zone, maybe extended to 5k, but I can't see the point of that personally.

So quite frankly, while I would be happy to see something moving on 6/5 it will not be all some people think it might be.

Slowly slowly catchee monkey. Anyway if the numbers don't stay close to RO zero all bets are off anyway. Let's hope they are though.

I think that is what LV was saying, and no one knows how it will go just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think people are trying to be realistic and not thinking like yourself that we should all lockdown until their is a vaccine. It's called living in the real world

What's even more concerning is he is on about mid-May 2030 or mid-August 2030. Away with the birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Wibbs wrote: »
    You said and I quote: From the very simple fact that, the risk of infection is incredibly low anyway

That's a wildly uninformed statement. You then compounded it with it's useless unless this thing suddenly develops in the air.

If you have so little basic information, never mind that you so confidently state it, your opinion on the seriousness or not of this virus is frankly of little enough value, save as an example of why we have needed restrictions and why societies will need to account for the lack of basic information in many as we do start to lift them.

Again you are determined to quote me out of context and vilify me, above was as an answer to another poster who asked if I thought I was safe without a mask.

Working in a controlled environment at the time, without a mask, I do, social contact is minimal and even then I maintain distance so yes, statistically my chances of catching it are really low.

Outside the workplace I follow the guidelines and I don’t live in a high population density, encountering anyone from outside the household is pretty much nil, so again statistically yes risk is low again.

It must be terrible to live in fear, I’m responsible with my actions but I’m not about to hide under the bed.

Again, I am very informed about Covid, I have researched it as much as anyone outside of the medical field (it’s hard to avoid the information tbh), I also work in biohazard laboratories and have been trained in safety procedures there in, I have safely handled many infectious samples, from HIV and Hep C on but not Covid-19 just yet.
    I also know at least one recovered victim personally and what they went through. But cheers for the advice.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

No it's yourself that's not living in the real world. Quick to support the HSE yet bemoaning a few weeks of sitting at home watching TV and eating.

GazzaL wrote: »
    What's even more concerning is he is on about mid-May 2030 or mid-August 2030. Away with the birds.

When's your flight taking off to Costa del Sun John, sorry Gazza i meant.

Because that's all that matters isn't it, your holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,137 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No it's yourself that's not living in the real world. Quick to support the HSE yet bemoaning a few weeks of sitting at home watching TV and eating.

What about couples trying to juggle 2 demanding jobs working from home and look after and home school their kids ? Hardly sitting at home watching tv and eating is it.

Anyway the restrictions will start to lift here from the 5th they will already have started across Europe and we will follow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Nermal wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52316956?

"The irresponsible and unnecessary actions of The Mersey Docks and Harbour Company Limited at a time of national crisis have closed an essential Liverpool-Dublin supply route, which means vital goods will not be able to flow between the UK, Ireland and Europe."

For people who think you can 'freeze' the economy and ensure only 'essential' services are up & running.

Expect more of this.
    Things starting to get real.

Cyrus wrote: »
    What about couples trying to juggle 2 demanding jobs working from home and look after and home school their kids ? Hardly sitting at home watching tv and eating is it.

Anyway the restrictions will start to lift here from the 5th they will already have started across Europe and we will follow

I hope so. Once the HSE and government approve it we push on from there.

Iv'e got two kids here also but wife works in health care so cry me a river.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

JRant wrote: »
    Schools should absolutely be opened up in May. They'll be closed over 2 months by the time May 5th comes around.

Schools and colleges will not be reopening until September at the earliest. You need to accept this.

Schools and colleges will not be reopening until September at the earliest. You need to accept this.

Still amazes me people aren't getting this. I genuinely think some just want their kids out of their hair at all costs, selfishness i'd be calling it.

The absolute best we could hope for is some construction to reopen by mid may and hardware shops. I'd consider that to be a huge victory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

What's your source?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

No people aren't being realistic as they see the 5th of May as the end of all restrictions which will never happen.

Those in favor of restrictions are realistic because they know that they will be done on a gradual basis as explained here really well by these beautiful Spanish Eyes ;).

Just to add that no-one will be left behind and we will all do our part to save those at a higher risk regardless of their age bracket. We don't live in a jungle for christ sake.
    When some people talk about easing restrictions here, it sounds to me like they think all will be back to normal on the 6th May and life will return as before.

I know most people don't think that, but there is a cohort out there going mad for it.

I'd like to know what people think an easing of restrictions (if it happens) will mean. To me, it will be a gradual return to work for certain industries like construction, public transport will still be off limits except for those going to work, those WFH to continue to do so, no re opening of places of gatherings, like pubs, restaurants, coffee shops etc., no concerts or sports, social distancing maintained and a continuation of the quarantine zone, maybe extended to 5k, but I can't see the point of that personally.

So quite frankly, while I would be happy to see something moving on 6/5 it will not be all some people think it might be.

Slowly slowly catchee monkey. Anyway if the numbers don't stay close to RO zero all bets are off anyway. Let's hope they are though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't think anyone on this thread is suggesting fully back to normal on May 6th

I hope so. Once the HSE and government approve it we push on from there.

Iv'e got two kids here also but wife works in health care so cry me a river.

So what you are watching tv and eating then?

Cyrus wrote: »
    So what you are watching tv and eating then?

Midterm break, evenings, weekends etc..

Is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Sweden surely playing with fire?

No doubt about it, leo will have to chill the restrictions in 2 weeks in some form

I wouldn't rule out primary schools doing 5 weeks between now and june

Midterm break, evenings, weekends etc..

Is that it?

No idea what you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

C__MC wrote: »
    Sweden surely playing with fire?

No doubt about it, leo will have to chill the restrictions in 2 weeks in some form

I wouldn't rule out primary schools doing 5 weeks between now and june

That would be such a bad idea!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

What's your source?

Common ****ing sense.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

There is no proof social distancing actually works

Sweden has little restrictions and there death rate is not that much higher then ours

I think when the official figures are released for Britain and Ireland well over 50% will be nursing home deaths and over 90 % will be people over 70 with serious health complications

Time to open up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement