Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Kids and teens should be kept indoors.

I don't think we need to be so draconian about it, the main issue around younger children is their hygiene (or lack - sorry kids), and the fact that most don't display symptoms thereby increasing spread risk.

So yes, I think kids should be kept away from other people bar immediate family but no not locked away.

No idea where the teenager comment comes in, at that stage they're well aware of what they need to do.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

All efforts should now concentrate on safely reopening schools in September if at all possible. Can't see it myself at present as we are presently living in a country that has no temperture checks at supermarkets/random on the street, doesn't enforce the wearing of masks in public, allows jogging on footpaths, gatherings in parks etc.. so i don't think we have the organisational capacity to pull it off for September.

The "reopen in May" brigade really need to stop doing it to themselves.

BanditLuke wrote: »

Fairly normal for folk to hope that schools might open sometime in May. If workplaces reopen and aren't overly into WFH etc then people have quite difficult scenarios to deal with.

Not difficult in comparison to being immunocompromised or 70+ or sick etc but difficult none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

If the government relax restrictions and people go back to their old ways...and then a few weeks down the line there's a resurgence of infections....it will be very difficult to get people to return to lockdown mode.

That's what the government are trying to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

niallo27 wrote: »
    Even the most pessimistic miserable misery loving people dont expect a death rate of 10% but yet we have a few posters here quoting even up to 21%. I'd say you lot are one bundle of joy to be around.

I was talking to a 5 years old who understood the difference between the death rate of closed cases and expected death rate and yet some don't understand it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I can’t see any chance of schools being back before September in all honesty apart from those doing the leaving cert who will possibly see a return in July and maybe some college exams.

Restrictions will be eased in May but the easing of those restrictions will be work based, opening up various industries, business etc where they can enforce social distancing relatively easily etc I would think.

Might also be an easing on leisure activities depending on their nature, for example I don’t see why proper measures could not be put in place for golf to be played by members of the public once the clubhouse etc is off limits, it’s practically a socially distant sport anyway, not that it matters to me as being crap at it and not having the patience meant it was a non runner for me no matter how many times I tried it.

Blanket easing of restrictions isn’t going to happen which is understandable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

I see social distancing and stay at home was live and well in Dublin Airport yesterday with Keelings bringing in 190 fruit pickers from Bulgaria. That is nothing but a disgrace when our country is in lock down. Time to boycott Keelings products me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

alwald wrote: »
    I was talking to a 5 years old who understood the difference between the death rate of closed cases and expected death rate and yet some don't understand it here.

Why were you discussing that with a 5 year old ? Honestly a 5 year old doesnt need to be taking about death rates .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

All efforts should now concentrate on safely reopening schools in September if at all possible. Can't see it myself at present as we are presently living in a country that has no temperture checks at supermarkets/random on the street, doesn't enforce the wearing of masks in public, allows jogging on footpaths, gatherings in parks etc.. so i don't think we have the organisational capacity to pull it off for September.

allows jogging on footpaths, and you cant see schools reopening for the next acadamic year, in 4.5 months time.

if you are to be believed the country is finished.

whats this jogging on footpaths nonsense you have a problem with?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I see social distancing and stay at home was live and well in Dublin Airport yesterday with Keelings bringing in 190 fruit pickers from Bulgaria. That is nothing but a disgrace when our country is in lock down. Time to boycott Keelings products me thinks
    Keelings published a statement saying all those workers will be self isolating for 14 days.

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    This has not been proven.

Most kids get a very minor illness. The research on whether they are also significant sources of spread has not been completed.

There are huge costs to society having kids out of school/childcare - we need to make decisions based on facts.

I asked yesterday about the kids and spread .I searched for any research on the matter and cannot find any proof positive that kids are a huge spreading risk .
    It a bit like the toilet paper shortage it grew legs and now everyone just presumes kids are little petri dishes walking around spreading it .I am just not convinced they are a super spreader .

I think those workers are going to go into 14 day quarantine, and they'll be adhering to all guidelines while here.
    Food production is classed as essential iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,696 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Cupatae wrote: »
    Are you deliberately trying to misunderstand what his saying to you or are you incapable of reading between the lines?

no, just calling out scaremongering statistics such as 21% , when most studies expect a death rate well below 1% - we will know next month who is right, once anti-body results are assessed to see how widespread virus is in population.
    all the reading between the lines and baby steps is making me dizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

thebaz wrote: »
    no, just calling out scaremongering statistics such as 21% , when most studies expect a death rate well below 1% - we will know next month who is right, once anti-body results are assessed to see how widespread virus is in population.
    all the reading between the lines and baby steps is making me dizzy.

What we already know is that you didn't understand the last few posts on these figures as you are the only one suggesting that the expected death rate is 21%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,696 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

alwald wrote: »
    as you are the only suggesting that the expected death rate is 21%.

not engaging with nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I asked yesterday about the kids and spread .I searched for any research on the matter and cannot find any proof positive that kids are a huge spreading risk .
    It a bit like the toilet paper shortage it grew legs and now everyone just presumes kids are little petri dishes walking around spreading it .I am just not convinced they are a super spreader .

Not scientific but as a teacher I often see children getting a bug and it wiping out half the class. The week the schools closed, a vomitting bug hit a colleagues class and they had 10 children missing and they ended up cleaning vomit up after another 3 on the Thursday who no doubt would have been out on Firday had there been school.

Anyone with school aged chldren can tell you how quick a bug or head lice spead in a class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Time to boycott Keelings products me thinks
    Yeah. Buy Tesco/Dunnes/Aldi/Supervalu ones instead.

You know... the ones they make out back of the shop on the warehouse shelves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

khalessi wrote: »
    Not scientific but as a teacher I often see children getting a bug and it wiping out half the class. The week the schools closed, a vomitting bug hit a colleagues class and they had 10 children missing and they ended up cleaning vomit up after another 3 on the Thursday who no doubt would have been out on Firday had there been school.

Anyone with school aged chldren can tell you how quick a bug or head lice spead in a class.

Very little sickness during the summer holidays here but as soon as they go back in September it starts again and everybody in the house eventually gets it

Every year is the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

never take advice from someone who says "me thinks"

Ah yes I understand that and not denying the kids are spreaders. But I think maybe someone took their eye off the ball by looking at kids being the super spreader where in actual fact it was most likely carers and agency staff in care homes that caused the huge problem .The same happened in Italy and in Spain before us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I'd say you are great craic to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

fryup wrote: »
    If the government relax restrictions and people go back to their old ways...and then a few weeks down the line there's a resurgence of infections....it will be very difficult to get people to return to lockdown mode.

That's what the government are trying to avoid.

Somewhat of a risk yes

However you can't keep people on lockdown indefinitely either

Some very encouraging signs yesterday that we're getting a bit of a handle on things

The government needed extra time so they got a 22 day extension to the lockdown already

Not sure they can keep saying we're doing very well, flattening the curve, but not enough

Here's more lockdown

People will really begin to switch off from their message

To quote Ciara Kelly "keeping them until midnight on the May Bank Holiday is the right call.

But the lockdown cannot last too much longer than that, because if it does, the cure becomes worse than the disease. The economic fall out is too great and the job losses too high.

The knock-on effects on other non Covid-19 related aspects of people's mental and physical health means there is a tipping point where more people are harmed by lockdown than are saved"

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Idbatterim wrote: »
    lockdown merchants, should I be worried about the sky falling in any time soon?

You should worry about breaking the rules there buddy. The penalties for those who disobey the rules are set to get harsher. I expect that people will have to solidly prove that their activities are allowed. Stay indoors.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Somewhat of a risk yes

However you can't keep people on lockdown indefinitely either .............

Lockdown can ease but primary schools can remain shut for May and June.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Ah yes I understand that and not denying the kids are spreaders. But I think maybe someone took their eye off the ball by looking at kids being the super spreader where in actual fact it was most likely carers and agency staff in care homes that caused the huge problem .The same happened in Italy and in Spain before us

In our case the children were not given a chance to become super spreaders as the schools were closed, since most people know how quick they can spread viruses, especially when you think there are over one million school going children in Ireland.

The clusters more then likely were caused by carers and ageny staff unaware of Covid19 being present and not having adequate PPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

easypazz wrote: »
    I'd say you are great craic to live with.

If you have no comments to make regarding the thread subject then can you keep the personal remarks to your good self. Thank you.

In our case the children were not given a chance to become super spreaders as the schools were closed, since most people know how quick they can spread viruses, especially when you think there are over one million school going children in Ireland.

The clusters more then likely were caused by carers and ageny staff unaware of Covid19 being present and not having adequate PPE.

Oh I am not blaming the care staff at all , but I do think the lessons were there to be learned that the care homes were a huge risk and measures should have been on place long before they were
    Yes we did close the schools in time and probably saved a lot more clusters and in home spreading .But I am still wondering if in fact many kids actually tested postive .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Augeo wrote: »
    Lockdown can ease but primary schools can remain shut for May and June.

Yes that's true too

Be interesting to see how Denmark gets on with schools back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Anyone think libraries will be among the earliest 'leisure' facilities opening up again? Shouldn't be that hard to do it safely, especially if they have those self-service checkout machines...

No unless children who make up a large percentage of library users are banned from entering them. If this is implemented then maybe they can reopen in May/June with strict social distancing measures in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you are using anecdotes about tummy bugs to give an opinion about children spreading covid 19,

might be better to read some actual scientific studies?

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-case-children-infants-low-disease-expert-explain-why-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement