Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Most likely allowing more shops to open. Anything that promotes economic trade will be prioritised. Also secondary schools (prioritising Leaving Cert and Junior Cert sudents).

I still can`t see schools reopening before the autumn. Anyway the Junior Cert has been cancelled for this year so there is no need for prioritising that category of students.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

KiKi III wrote: »
    Just spoke to a friend in Dubai. They’re on a full 24-hour lockdown and have been for two weeks - only allowed out with a dedicated pass once every three days for the supermarket.

Now that is intense.

That's what should have been done here. That said a pass three times a week is not necessary, once a week is plenty. The pass should only be valid for four hours maximum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

KiKi III wrote: »
    Just spoke to a friend in Dubai. They’re on a full 24-hour lockdown and have been for two weeks - only allowed out with a dedicated pass once every three days for the supermarket.

Now that is intense.

Gotta take the rough with the smooth living in a soulless tax haven :) I wouldn't do it for all the money in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

This is really fcuking weird. This lockdown is really showing the bullies, snitches and curtain twitchers for who they really are.

If someone is having a party or otherwise ripping the p1ss? Sure, report them to the guards. If someone is just trying to get some exercise for their mental and physical health and has jogged a couple of km outside where they're meant to be? Mind your own bloody business tbh.

It's really creepy and strange that you've even noticed.

Something tells me paddy and some of his ilk didn't have much of a life to write home about before all of this. Just throwing it out there.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Could imagine lads on here be acting the same if there was a nuclear fall out - but we have to save the economy and we can't stay in "lock down" for a few more weeks....

Agreed. These characters would probably just advise taking a few iodine tablets and sure everything would be grand.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭skallywag

I still can`t see schools reopening before the autumn. Anyway the Junior Cert has been cancelled for this year so there is no need for prioritising that category of students.

Agree completely with that, I also cannot see any way that any of the schools will go back before the start of the next academic year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

skallywag wrote: »
    Agree completely with that, I also cannot see any way that any of the schools will go back before the start of the next academic year.

Fair point re secondary schools and JC - but other countries seem to be opening schools (Denmark anyway, and Germany has set 4th May for schools as the second round of restriction-lifting).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

My wife works for one of the larger Universities. No way they're going back to "the office" until at least Sept, she's been told. Can't see schools reopening this term. Still feel like a leaving cert won't happen BUT they'll be pushed through on "average" grades.

Social distancing is going to be around for the rest of this year and most of 2021 - so it's about time that restrictions were relaxed and new ways of living adapted to ASAP. This rolling lockdown is a farce.

We need to find balance and learn to live with this virus.

Cos it ain't going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fair point re secondary schools and JC - but other countries seem to be opening schools (Denmark anyway, and Germany has set 4th May for schools as the second round of restriction-lifting).

apparently what the rest of the civilised world is doing is completely irrelevant to the lock down forever merchants.

But our crowd have announced nothing about schools opening. It's extremely unlikely they'll take the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,739 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Hooked wrote: »
    My wife works for one of the larger Universities. No way they're going back to "the office" until at least Sept, she's been told. Can't see schools reopening this term. Still feel like a leaving cert won't happen BUT they'll be pushed through on "average" grades.

Social distancing is going to be around for the rest of this year and most of 2021 - so it's about time that restrictions were relaxed and new ways of living adapted to ASAP. This rolling lockdown is a farce.

I agree with this, and yesterday i was saying that society has to learn to deal with this virus for all - practice social distancing etc.

I went a step further in saying that we need to practice it in so far that the elderly/sick can continue with lives as much as possible.

So for instance if a pub for example is not respecting social distancing etc, then it should be shut for everyone etc.

I feel that society as a whole would work together and try to respect everyone is this time - yet posters yesterday were of the opinion we can't be cautious for a few and the sick will have to accept additional risk if they want to live a normal life - i.e. society shouldn't be changing to suit them.

Cyrus wrote: »
    apparently what the rest of the civilised world is doing is completely irrelevant to the lock down forever merchants.

We need to accept, as much as we do not like it or care to admit it, that these other countries are in a much better position than us with respect to the capacity in their Health Care systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This should have been an interesting thread but it’s been hijacked by the biggest bunch of tossers on boards (both sides of the argument by the way). Could you have your childish pops off each other by PM or are you all involved in a mickey measuring contest?

As has been previously pointed out, if there is a large spike in deaths or people needing ICU treatment as a result of reopening the schools in these countries, they probably will be shutdown again. It`s a wait and see policy for the next few weeks.

salmocab wrote: »
    This should have been an interesting thread but it’s been hijacked by the biggest bunch of tossers on boards (both sides of the argument by the way). Could you have your childish pops off each other by PM or are you all involved in a mickey measuring contest?

Absolutely, it's turned into a kindergarten, sometimes I think it's a bunch of 13 year olds discussing the topic.

Better times when we had one single thread for this topic a couple of months ago, where we were wondering why more are not taking this seriously, and the kiddies were occupied in the Toy Shop forum or wherever.

Absolutely, it's turned into a kindergarten, sometimes I think it's a bunch of 13 year olds discussing the topic.

Better times when we had one single thread for this topic a couple of months ago, where we were wondering why more are not taking this seriously, and the kiddies were occupied in the Toy Shop forum or wherever.

was it better when the doom merchants had the thread all to themselves?

We need to accept, as much as we do not like it or care to admit it, that these other countries are in a much better position than us with respect to the capacity in their Health Care systems.

have we not been building capacity the last month? and is there not now headroom in the system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Hard man of the internet hijacks thread by calling contributers "biggest bunch of tossers ever"

was it better when the doom merchants had the thread all to themselves?

It was certainly better when we had the first thread on this topic some months back, and by a country mile.

'Doom Merchants'? In hindsight a lot of people on that thread at the time were just being realistic and called this thing for how it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Hooked wrote: »

No, not until there is a mandatory vaccine with a way to verify that everyone has received their vaccine. Anti vax coronavirus deniers need to be sectioned so that their vaccines can be administered to them.

• Advertisement

easypazz wrote: »
    Hard man of the internet hijacks thread by calling contributers "biggest bunch of tossers ever"

Not sure why you think someone calling people a bunch of tossers is hard but your nonsense response doesn’t surprise me it’s just about the right level for the debate here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Augeo wrote: »
    But our crowd have announced nothing about schools opening. It's extremely unlikely they'll take the risk.
    For starters, we haven't even got a plan to announce. That will emerge over the next week or so. We can expect LC classes to be first ones on the list as soon as they think they can risk it, sometime in May IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

As has been previously pointed out, if there is a large spike in deaths or people needing ICU treatment as a result of reopening the schools in these countries, they probably will be shutdown again. It`s a wait and see policy for the next few weeks.

If there's a large spike in new cases/ICU what ever restrictions have been lifted will be straight back in again, definitely.

They'll probably lift the restrictions in 2-week increments, assuming there's no spike in cases or anything.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

But we'll all have been in lockdown (restricted movements at least) for the bones of two months by the time May 5th comes and goes.

We've given them the time to build capacity in the hospitals & prepare.

Time to get us, and the country, moving again - with the physical distancing and all other the other day-to-day adjustments (sanitising, PPE, perspex screens) remaining in place. Pubs/concerts/air-travel will need some stronger solutions.

They can't just park the bus on this one for much longer. Give 'n take...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Not sure why you think someone calling people a bunch of tossers is hard but your nonsense response doesn’t surprise me it’s just about the right level for the debate here.

You seem so righteous and so far above everyone here...why are you here if the thread and people in it are so bad?

have we not been building capacity the last month? and is there not now headroom in the system?

There is indeed increased capacity and headroom, but are we now at the same level as some of the somewhat comparable EU countries?

Take Austria, for example, with 1250 ICU beds, or which 250 are currently occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

On the 14th of april. 58 people in the country were hospitalised. 218 health cafe workers contracted the virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Am...pot kettle black.

Cupatae wrote: »
    You seem so righteous and so far above everyone here...why are you here if the thread and people in it are so bad?

Righteous? Like I said in the post it should have been an interesting thread and some people are posting relevant stuff but as the days have gone on it’s been more and more the same few people having a pop off each other. I don’t think I’m above anyone and I’m happy to concede that my opinions on the subject may be wrong.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    For starters, we haven't even got a plan to announce. That will emerge over the next week or so. We can expect LC classes to be first ones on the list as soon as they think they can risk it, sometime in May IMO.

LC might see some class time. I think primary schools won't be open in May or June.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement