Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The leaving cert must be done in July and all schools and universities open September as usual
    And if the teachers don’t agree then sack those who won’t return and hire a plane load of Bulgarians if necessary
    Joking but also not joking

Time to open up

That won't be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

KiKi III wrote: »
    Some people, on hearing pubs will remain closed for a while, will use less strict lockdown restrictions to have picnics and barbecues and carefully planned summer parties that allow them to have a social life whilst being sensible.

I'd take that in a heartbeat

Even just to be able to travel to stay outside a gate whilst you can talk and see friends, family, partners etc would make such a difference and can be done with social distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I can think of a lot of pubs in my locality, some that I frequent myself that have the capacity to adjust. Others less so.

However, I can't think of any cafe shop in my area, in what is a popular business, that would be able to operate with social distancing regulations. They are surely as big an issue as the pubs, particularly as a lot of older people use them as a social setting.

You cannot possibly deny people their coffee though.

Most pubs I know of could put up a plexiglass screen (well they all can obviously) to protect bar staff, they can remove all the high stools, remove a lot of low stools, screw the rest to the floor and put extra partitions between tables.

Its would be relatively inexpensive to do this.

And by having no live music and encouraging people to visit during off peak, it would be a start.

A pub could also live stream a shot of their premises on facebook so people can see in advance if its busy or not.

There is no shortage of ways to improve social distancing in every aspect of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

easypazz wrote: »
    Most pubs I know of could put up a plexiglass screen (well they all can obviously) to protect bar staff, they can remove all the high stools, remove a lot of low stools, screw the rest to the floor and put extra partitions between tables.

And by having no live music and encouraging people to visit during off peak, it would be a start.

A pub could also live stream a shot of their premises on facebook so people can see in advance if its busy or not.

There is no shortage of ways to improve social distancing in every aspect of society.

And when everyone gets drunk and starts shifting? What’s your plan for that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

khalessi wrote: »
    Open up and release over 1 million children in primary and secondary back mixing.

How do you propose to do this safely?

The question to the hibernates is How do you propose to do it at all
    This virus is not going away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Sounds very logical and doable to me.

See you for a pint on May 6th :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In the past month, we've had 12000 confirmed cases or so, that have been positive under the testing guidelines. It's quite likely we've had at least 20,000 cases that have either not met the testing requirements, been asymptomatic, or been sufficiently mild that the person infected did not seek testing/report it.

If we continue at this rate, with circa 30,000 cases per month total, by the end of June we will have around 100,000 people in this country who are immune to infection from SARS-CoV-2 but yet are being instructed to follow the guidelines. Sooner rather than later, this issue will also have to be addressed, that of the rules applying to the post-covids.

If the Government are planning a controlled herd immunity strategy, not like the UK one but a controlled version seeing as some sort of herd immunity be it through infection or vaccination is the only way out of this mess, then the rate of infection could be allowed go higher seeing as the hospital system was able to cope with the current rate of infection with plenty of room to spare.

On the other side of the coin, the issue of people with non-covid health issues not attending their GP or not attending hospital needs to be addressed promptly also or these people will see their conditions worsening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

You will be called in on your high-horse, bible in hand, to shout "UNCLEAN. UNCLEAN".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

May not be allowed in the brave new world !

Social distancing forever = end of human race

Why *must* it? What would be the big deal if the next academic year was delayed by a month?

Why stop at a month
    Why not 3 months or why not 6 months
    Because it’s not acceptable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

The question to the hibernates is How do you propose to do it at all
    This virus is not going away

Nice dodge but you didnt answer the question

How do you propose to reopen schools safely for over a million students?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

brutes1 wrote: »
    May not be allowed in the brave new world !

Social distancing forever = end of human race

Ah sure we have AI:D

jackboy wrote: »
    There is no hope the leaving cert will happen in July. It is already being strongly indicated that a lot of the restrictions will be significantly extended after 5th May.

Surely the students will need a at least a couple of months of school before attempting the leaving cert exams.

Source?

Make sure the condom machine is full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,739 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

marno21 wrote: »
    In the past month, we've had 12000 confirmed cases or so, that have been positive under the testing guidelines. It's quite likely we've had at least 20,000 cases that have either not met the testing requirements, been asymptomatic, or been sufficiently mild that the person infected did not seek testing/report it.

If we continue at this rate, with circa 30,000 cases per month total, by the end of June we will have around 100,000 people in this country who are immune to infection from SARS-CoV-2 but yet are being instructed to follow the guidelines. Sooner rather than later, this issue will also have to be addressed, that of the rules applying to the post-covids.

First of all - has their been any proof that once infected you cannot be infected in future? and secondly is there any proof that once infected, that you cannot carry said virus and pass onto someone else, even if means not be sick yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

open them with new hygiene standards in place and see how we go, you cant keep them closed indefinitely waiting on a vaccine that may never come.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Taoiseach pledges to 'set out roadmap for easing restrictions' by end of the month

The Government wants to set out a roadmap for easing the coronavirus restrictions within the next three weeks.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/taoiseach-pledges-to-set-out-roadmap-for-easing-restrictions-by-end-of-the-month-39134903.html

It's behind a paywall unfortunately

I would have hoped the roadmap would have been sorted before they announced the extension of restrictions but it will be interesting to see what the plan is

Every country is at it now.

The momentum is building globally.

You will be called in on your high-horse, bible in hand, to shout "UNCLEAN. UNCLEAN".

Sounds like fun, I’m in.

Why stop at a month

Unacceptable to whom? To you? You’re just one person.

It’s acceptable to me.

Why stop at a month

with all the holidays during the year, you could push back a month, maybe two, and still have the school/college year finished, without impacting on future years, 6 months would impact the following year etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Ace2007 wrote: »
    First of all - has their been any proof that once infected you cannot be infected in future? and secondly is there any proof that once infected, that you cannot carry said virus and pass onto someone else, even if means not be sick yourself?

its the working assumption that the experts are using, is there any proof otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭jackboy

Source?

It’s been all over the news last couple of days. Leo is now talking about months.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ace2007 wrote: »

There isn't proof - but the world appears to be operating on this assumption. There hasn't been any evidence to the contrary yet - but my argument was that it would be better to have people out in the community that have presumed immunity than to have people out in the community who definitively have no immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I don't go to pubs to talk to random people, I go to spend time with whoever I'm with, and enjoy draft pints and food. Sure, the atmosphere isn't going to be as good when it's quieter, but I think a lot of people would still go for it. The pubs around here actually got way too packed for my liking, so I don't mind the idea of making a reservation for dinner and having table service.

They should also stop allowing kids in. Most pubs round here are like a bloody creche.

I nearly got linched in the bup tread for what I said,
    Irish pubs as we know it are finished.
    Best scenario is base them on European bars gone are the days of downing 10 pints a night, you could see a maximum time allotted to people or small groups.
    A limite to the number of drinks consumed.
    Hopefully gone are the days of binge drinking with has to be seen as an Irish and English thing

You are the person dodging as you won’t answer the question
    I will
    I dont plan on opening them safely
    Life must go on and it is a fact children are not affected

Time to open up

Cyrus wrote: »
    open them with new hygiene standards in place and see how we go, you cant keep them closed indefinitely waiting on a vaccine that may never come.

they'll no doubt go that route in September. I doubt they want to go the see how we go approach with schools in conjunction with 100s of thousands of non essential workers in May and June, IMO.

I will

Time to open up

You can end every post with “time to open up”, it doesn’t make it one iota more likely that it will happen before it’s safe to do so.

Unacceptable to whom? To you? You’re just one person.

It’s acceptable to me.

Unacceptable to the majority of Irish people
    What the majority on boards might think means nothing to the real world

I will

Time to open up

So just for everyone to be clear, your plan is that come 5th May - everything should open up and go back to normal and to hell with anyone that is sick/vulnerable or even to the healthcare workers and hospitals?

If 10,000 Irish people die, so what the economy be back on it's feet etc?

Have i summarized that correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I will

Time to open up

This has been significantly rewritten since the start of this pandemic. Its no longer considered true. There is indeed extra protection with younger ages, but there is plenty of information available now to show its not as safe as we once thought at the start. At the start, we thought kids were bullet proof against it. Now its more they are a low risk group of death.

From american stats. 6% need hospital care, versus 10% for adults.

Their ability to spread it to more vulnerable people is a huge disadvantage to opening the schools back up. Nearly every kid in a class room with a sick person is going to get it. Each of those kids will go to a home with older people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement