Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I've worked in pubs all my life. Your suggestions mean there is no point in reopening

It would be a short term measure, until the situation improves.

People have adapted a lot and will adapt to this too.

And don't forget financial incentives from the government, maybe 9% VAT etc. so they won't need to be as busy as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

ZX7R wrote: »
    I nearly got linched in the bup tread for what I said,
    Irish pubs as we know it are finished.
    Best scenario is base them on European bars gone are the days of downing 10 pints a night, you could see a maximum time allotted to people or small groups.
    A limite to the number of drinks consumed.
    Hopefully gone are the days of binge drinking with has to be seen as an Irish and English thing

While I agree that binge drinking is an Irish problem, the rest of your posts smacks of someone who hates the pub culture.

Okay, they will have to adapt to begin with, but there's no way they won't be back to as close to normal as possible when the virus is contained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Lots more groups of people seem to be congregating over the last few days. My elderly neighbours have had the kids and grandkids over, teens are out kicking football in the nearby park and the car parks and aisles of the local shop are busy with people catching up with one another. It's clear that people are getting a bit tired of the current nonsense.

It's time for the Govt. to start planning for the easing of restrictions or the people will make that decision for them.

We're putting our lives on hold flushing our futures down the toilet to keep a few bedroom-dwellers happy - time to get real.

Id love if it was put to a vote, to lift the restrictions or not... let the public decide they're own faith... and then if it all goes wrong they have no one to blame but themselves if the hospitals get over run the govt should be allowed to turn around and say "this is what you asked for"

I dont mind the restrictions being lifted so long as the blame can be landed squarely at the feet of the people who asked for it if it goes wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Ace2007 wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be deadly to children, for it to increase the cost of insurance. Insurance costs are through the roof already.

If (and I don't believe they will) crèche insurance costs went up - they would only increase on renewal time - not all in June.

Also if it did happen and prevented crèches from opening what would simply happen is the government would subsidise the crèches to allow them to open - they would bail them out like the banks/airlines as they are 100% essential to the economy and getting people back to work.

I've 2 in crèche and I'm not concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

ZX7R wrote: »
    I nearly got linched in the bup tread for what I said,
    Irish pubs as we know it are finished.
    Best scenario is base them on European bars gone are the days of downing 10 pints a night, you could see a maximum time allotted to people or small groups.
    A limite to the number of drinks consumed.
    Hopefully gone are the days of binge drinking with has to be seen as an Irish and English thing

Binge drinking is and Irish and English thing?

A binge is 3 pints or 6 standard units in one sitting

That happens in every country and in European bars you speak of

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    it depends,

scandis and germans are going with schools first, presumably on the basis that if they do get it they are the least at risk. So schools could be first.

also schools in september, what about creches? if you want to get people back to work...

I don't know, the mention of creches reminds me that they still haven't announced anything for healthcare folk who have to go to work, there must be issues they are working through.

I'll be amazed if primary schools are open in May or June, I know that's not your view. We'll have to wait and see.

In cases where both parents are WFH now and managing childcare then they may have to continue WFH to an extent for the coming months.

Where I am working at the moment there are loads of folk with kids and no one that I've spoken to expects schools to be open before September.

Cupatae wrote: »
    Id love if it was put to a vote, to lift the restrictions or not... let the public decide they're own faith... and then if it all goes wrong they have no one to blame but themselves if the hospitals get over run the govt should be allowed to turn around and say "this is what you asked for"

I dont mind the restrictions being lifted so long as the blame can be landed squarely at the feet of the people who asked for it if it goes wrong.

So if restrictions get lifted and people get sick, would you not be treating them?

sure it's your own fault and "this is what you asked for"

Augeo wrote: »
    I don't know, the mention of creches reminds me that they still haven't announced anything for healthcare folk who have to go to work, there must be issues they are working through.

I'll be amazed if primary schools are open in May or June, I know that's not your view. We'll have to wait and see.

In cases where both parents are WFH now and managing childcare then they may have to continue WFH to an extent for the coming months.

Where I am working at the moment there are loads of folk with kids and no one that I've spoken to expects schools to be open before September.

There's a huge difference between WFH with kids in school v kids in crèche.

The crèche ones don't allow much actual working :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,739 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Cyrus wrote: »
    which insurance are you referring to specifically.

im not sure if you have ever had kids in creche, they pick up all manner of horrible doses. i cant ever recall considering suing over it.

you know what will lead to creche owners going out of business? staying shut.

again barring a vaccine, whats your solution as it appears to be to keep them shut?
    how would it impact their insurance? Kids already get very sick from crèche viruses, are hospitalised etc.

Maybe you haven't sued over it - but there are claims against creche regularly - just like their are claims against pretty much any company that has liability insurance. They have the insurance for that reason.

Only last year, the government wanted it to be mandatory for creche to insist all kids have the standard vaccines before being guaranteed a place, like you said kids can pick up anything in a creche.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    So if restrictions get lifted and people get sick, would you not be treating them?

sure it's your own fault and "this is what you asked for"

No treat em away, to the best we can, but have the blame squarely landed at there feet, no more throwing stones from the sidelines asking for one thing and blaming the gov when it goes wrong.

Leave them accountable for there own decisions. Announce it on TV the vast majority of the public have voted for all restrictions to be lifted.. and right or wrong this why this action is being taken.

Then come what may the public asked for it so no one can turn around and blame the gov or anyone else only themselves for the damage done if any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

easypazz wrote: »
    It would be a short term measure, until the situation improves.

People have adapted a lot and will adapt to this too.

And don't forget financial incentives from the government, maybe 9% VAT etc. so they won't need to be as busy as normal.

For most pubs, your suggestions are not viable. They would have 90% of their costs and only a fraction of their customers:

There's a huge difference between WFH with kids in school v kids in crèche.

The crèche ones don't allow much actual working :D

I'll take your word on that :)
    Currently they are all at home though and I reckon that won't change in May or June.

I've 2 in crèche and I'm not concerned.

Your not concerned that they could pick up the virus at all?, or you happy to take that risk?

Would you send them to the creche this Monday coming if they opened?

KiKi III wrote: »
    For most pubs, your suggestions are not viable. They would have 90% of their costs and only a fraction of their customers:

Lots of pubs won't reopen. Two golf courses in Kerry iirc have gone bust now. they were getting by pre Covid19 but can't get through this issue. Quite a few businesses won't survive. Lots of them will be pubs. Some hotels will likely not reopen too at a guess.

If we ever get back to normal, well, we all won't get back to normal unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

No your posts are a mixed bag of nonsense, one min ur complaining you cant go outside safely the next you want all restrictions lifted... and on and on... all over the place but yet its everyone else's fault they cant "Understand" or "Use Logic"...

No, you just can't separate issues at all because you only think in black and white. Me saying lockdown can't continue indefinitely means 'all restrictions should be lifted' in your little brain, even though I've explicitly said otherwise, over and over and over again. In fact, just again, a few minutes ago, I said what I think should happen, and it definitely wasn't anything remotely like 'all restrictions should be lifted right now'. But it doesn't matter what I say because you keep coming back with this, like a broken record.

Me not feeling safe outside because I'm higher risk has fcuk all to do with whether restrictions should be lifted eventually.

It might well transpire that I have to stay home longer while everyone else goes back to their lives, or go out and maybe get sick and die...in which case, that's just the way it is, isn't it?

Unlike you, I can separate my needs and wants from the best interests of society as a whole. Weird you called me selfish when 99% of people on here just want what's best for them personally.
    Ok but your issues with those outside of your house, i.e. it been crowed, will only get worse as restrictions are lifted....

We are also not on a lockdown as you like to keep saying

Why are you acting like I just made this up? The government literally talk about us being in lockdown every single day in the press briefing. You are utterly deluded if you think only being able to go outside once a day for exercise and roughly once a week for food isn't a lockdown.

Just because they're not enforcing it strictly doesn't mean most people aren't doing it. We're not free to do what we want, are we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

do you really think theres need for vote and theres people actually thinking its great government closed of everything to save us all, id imagine majority people who are still working every day and do it as normal as possible know the risks, just because theres few suggestions to keep distance thats about it, as most know theres nothing more that can be done, and living with possibility to catch it eventually is real and accepted already, better then being delirious to think some vaccine will be chucked out in few months time to save entire world.

Augeo wrote: »
    I'll take your word on that :)
    Currently they are all at home though and I reckon that won't change in May or June.

Definitely May, not sure about June - government will want those workers back working ASAP.

Head of nurse union was on Newstalk earlier this week and biggest problem for health workers in getting to work is not PPE but childcare. PPE is no2 issue.

June for a lot of kids would be summer hols anyway so those parents might have plans in place for those kids already.

Maybe you haven't sued over it - but there are claims against creche regularly - just like their are claims against pretty much any company that has liability insurance. They have the insurance for that reason.

Only last year, the government wanted it to be mandatory for creche to insist all kids have the standard vaccines before being guaranteed a place, like you said kids can pick up anything in a creche.

You've obviously never had kids in crèche :rolleyes:

I've had both kids hospitalised (just 1 day thankfully) from stuff they've picked up in crèche.

COVID-19 is no more dangerous than what they usually get, probably less dangerous actually.

Insurance issues with COVID-19 is no different in crèche from any business globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Binge drinking is and Irish and English thing?

A binge is 3 pints or 6 standard units in one sitting

That happens in every country and in European bars you speak of

Sure, that's what medical staff call binge drinking. It has a different meaning in Ireland though, doesn't it? 3 pints would be a quiet night in the pub for most people. Many of my friends would have 8-10 pints in a night and not even consider it a heavy one.

Your not concerned that they could pick up the virus at all?, or you happy to take that risk?

Would you send them to the creche this Monday coming if they opened?

Honestly? Yes I would send both kids back into crèche on Monday if they opened.

We will be living with COVID-19 for next 12-18 months so there's always going to be a risk my kids get it from crèche, or pick up and pass to others.

But I wouldn't be up at night stressing about it. They've picked up far worse from crèche TBH.

They are literally in the lowest risk category of our population (aged 2 and 4).

• Advertisement

Sure that's some

I'd be dead after 8 to 10 pints

Still load of crap that Europeans don't do that as well

I used to work in Brussels from time to time

4 or 5 pints after work on a Friday was the norm for many offices

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Lots more groups of people seem to be congregating over the last few days. My elderly neighbours have had the kids and grandkids over, teens are out kicking football in the nearby park and the car parks and aisles of the local shop are busy with people catching up with one another. It's clear that people are getting a bit tired of the current nonsense.

It's time for the Govt. to start planning for the easing of restrictions or the people will make that decision for them.

We're putting our lives on hold flushing our futures down the toilet to keep a few bedroom-dwellers happy - time to get real.

I don`t believe this is the case at all but sure if it suits your agenda then keep posting any old nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

We will be living with COVID-19 for next 12-18 months so there's always going to be a risk my kids get it from crèche, or pick up and pass to others.

But I wouldn't be up at night stressing about it. They've picked up far worse from crèche TBH.

They are literally in the lowest risk category of our population (aged 2 and 4).

What have they picked up in a creche that is worse than Covid-19?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

well if they have been hospitalised whatever it was is worse than covid19 because its unlikely a 2 year old would be very sick, if sick at all from Covid19

Vomiting bug that lasted 10 days - half the class were hospitalised (1 year olds).

Virus with 41C temperatures.

There's plenty of sickness that kids pick up in crèche that has them sick for 1-2 weeks - all more harmful than COVID-19.

Again if you have to ask I'm guessing you don't have kids in crèche.

No, you just can't separate issues at all because you only think in black and white. Me saying lockdown can't continue indefinitely means 'all restrictions should be lifted' in your little brain, even though I've explicitly said otherwise, over and over and over again. In fact, just again, a few minutes ago, I said what I think should happen, and it definitely wasn't anything remotely like 'all restrictions should be lifted right now'. But it doesn't matter what I say because you keep coming back with this, like a broken record.

Me not feeling safe outside because I'm higher risk has fcuk all to do with whether restrictions should be lifted eventually.

It might well transpire that I have to stay home longer while everyone else goes back to their lives, or go out and maybe get sick and die...in which case, that's just the way it is, isn't it?

Unlike you, I can separate my needs and wants from the best interests of society as a whole. Weird you called me selfish when 99% of people on here just want what's best for them personally.

Why are you acting like I just made this up? The government literally talk about us being in lockdown every single day in the press briefing. You are utterly deluded if you think only being able to go outside once a day for exercise and roughly once a week for food isn't a lockdown.

Just because they're not enforcing it strictly doesn't mean most people aren't doing it. We're not free to do what we want, are we?

If i qouted all ur posts you would see how all over the place ur posts are and are absolute nonsense. You call everyone else deluded and stupid then... oh the irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Definitely May, not sure about June - government will want those workers back working ASAP.

Head of nurse union was on Newstalk earlier this week and biggest problem for health workers in getting to work is not PPE but childcare. PPE is no2 issue.

June for a lot of kids would be summer hols anyway so those parents might have plans in place for those kids already.

only issue is whatever plans people had for june are likely in tatters, but you are right its a huge issue to get people with creche aged children working, as you cant work with them at home they need constant care.

You've obviously never had kids in crèche :rolleyes:

I've had both kids hospitalised (just 1 day thankfully) from stuff they've picked up in crèche.

COVID-19 is no more dangerous than what they usually get, probably less dangerous actually.

Insurance issues with COVID-19 is no different in crèche from any business globally.

Your right i haven't but i work in the insurance industry and see the claims all the time. I see premiums increases, didn't creche require subsidy payment this year from the government to help contribute towards the cost of said insurance?

You perhaps didn't even think of suing but that doesn't mean other don't. If you fell down the stairs on a bus you might be embarrassed, others would see the $$ signs and sue and get paid out - happens all the time.

Now the creche on the other hand might ask you to sign a waiver and tell you they take no responsibility if a kid gets the virus etc - and i actually think that's what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Vomiting bug that lasted 10 days - half the class were hospitalised (1 year olds).

Virus with 41C temperatures.

There's plenty of sickness that kids pick up in crèche that has them sick for 1-2 weeks - all more harmful than COVID-19.

Are these viruses and bacteria as life-threatening to other people as Covid-19?

• Advertisement

But yet they are seen as the most deadliest carriers of the virus.... hence schools/creches etc are all closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement