Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

rob316 wrote: »
    No way should people who lost their jobs through no fault of their own be paid the same as the dole lifers. There not jobseekers

I prefer what Australia has done. They have jobkeepers payments and jobseekers payments to show the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

scamalert wrote: »
    maybe read every second reply about how no its not true numbers, fck the economy, we will be locked for x y z time, no time to quote every second delirious post.
    While I agree with you on the scaremongering and the tealeaves reading, none of that means thinking it's just a great laugh not having a job, being able to sit around and draw the dole. An enjoyment of doom-mongering yes, but not enjoyment of the situation. Doesn't look like many said fuk the economy, and while it's a terrible choice of words there is no alternative unfortunately. Unless we want to risk the human tragedy situation in Italy/Spain. This doesn't mean not being aware of the other problems that will arise because of it though. It's a tough road ahead.

Anyway, I vowed a few days ago to limit myself to reading one reliable update per day, and not to look at another thing. Because there isn't a thing I can do about it and it only made me nearly sick with worry last weekend. And I was doing a lot better - but then I broke it, and went in here (the title of this thread is deceptively positive). Feeling down again, so this is the end of it.

Anyone else feeling down and anxious about it, I urge you to do the same. Keep away from covid 19 stuff as much as you can.

Stay well all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Gael23 wrote: »
    All we can do is hope for a leveling off over the next week

It won't happen.

If we are flattening the curve then we're also pushing out the peak...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    It won't happen.

So your saying we should ease restrictions and bring in the peak to get it over with?

So your saying we should ease restrictions and bring in the peak to get it over with?

I don't think anyone would propose that. The peak that comes later will be lower than the peak if we hadn't take measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

It won't happen.

Am I missing something here? Genuine question but how will the peak be pushed out if the most restrictive measures are in place now? The peak surely has to occur sometime within the next 5-10 days as after that the amount of infections transmitted between people is at its lowest due to the most severe restrictions in place?
    People keep talking about the surge is not here, we are only at the start etc but I really fail to understand how is not here if not nearly here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Quite the opposite.

Stay safe. Keep up the social distancing.
    Am I missing something here? Genuine question but how will the peak be pushed out if the most restrictive measures are in place now? The peak surely has to occur sometime within the next 5-10 days as after that the amount of infections transmitted between people is at its lowest due to the most severe restrictions in place?
    People keep talking about the surge is not here, we are only at the start etc but I really fail to understand how is not here if not nearly here?

Don't look at the number, look at the % increases in infections and deaths. You'll need at least 4 or 5 day of leveling off to say we're at peak. Our cases are still increasing 10% per day. Deaths at a slightly higher rate.

Our trend lines are still steep.

Also, the UK are going off the charts with cases and deaths over the past few days, it doesn't take much effort for this to spread, especially as flights are still happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Quite the opposite.

Stay safe. Keep up the social distancing.

Don't look at the number, look at the % increases in infections and deaths. You'll need at least 4 or 5 day of leveling off to say we're at peak. Our cases are still increasing 10% per day. Deaths at a slightly higher rate.

Our trend lines are still steep.

I get you with the death rate...but they haven't escalated. And the infection rate is useless as it doesn't give an accurate number due to lack of testing. So where there was 402 today which was more...who knows 4 days ago there could have been 600 but we didnt have the facility to test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

FYI
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/01/coronavirus-young-americans-covid-19

Also it seems today Coronavirus is now the deadliest infectious disease in the world, beating TB.

"...with underlying medical conditions"

Wonder if obesity is one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Touchee

chicorytip wrote: »
    I think paying 350 euro a week to those who have lost jobs is excessive. We simply can't afford to and will be looking for another bailout if things don't improve within the next two months. The appropriate rate of payment ought to be the equivalent of the Jobseekers Allowance 203 p.w.

What do you base that on? If Hubby and I lose our jobs, the €350 barely covers the rent and it would leave us with €200 for bills and food for a month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Touchee wrote: »
    What do you base that on? If Hubby and I lose our jobs, the €350 barely covers the rent and it would leave us with €200 for bills and food for a month.

The way rents go down is if people move or threaten to move when they can't pay rent.

With the economic problems and the large amount of extra supply entering the rental market landlords won't be able to charge as much rent to the next tennant as you are paying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭chicorytip

No way should people who lost their jobs through no fault of their own be paid the same as the dole lifers. There not jobseekers
    Nursing home staff, supermarket personnel, delivery drivers and others who are poorly paid would be taking home little more than that for a full weeks work. These are extraordinary circumstances we are living in, of course, but the government needs to exercise prudence and caution in regard to spending to ensure economic recovery can occur as quickly as possible in the aftermath of this crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It seems we had 0% unemployment in February, because according to the anecdotes all 200'000 people on the dole at the time of the Covid-19 outbreak had been let go from their jobs just the week before these measures were brought in, and they should also be entitled to the full €350 payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Touchee

The way rents go down is if people move or threaten to move when they can't pay rent.

With the economic problems and the large amount of extra supply entering the rental market landlords won't be able to charge as much rent to the next tennant as you are paying now.

You would hope so, but based on what I’ve seen on daft recently not much has changed. Hopefully it won’t come to both of us losing our jobs, but if this goes on past the end of May, then you never know.

There will be a surge in the next few days due to those tests being sent to Germany for analysis. That will skew next weeks figures massively

There will be a surge in the next few days due to those tests being sent to Germany for analysis. That will skew next weeks figures massively

The important numbers are ICU admittance and deaths IMO. The basis for the testing is too variable to allow any trends to be extrapolated from infection numbers

The important numbers are ICU admittance and deaths IMO. The basis for the testing is too variable to allow any trends to be extrapolated from infection numbers

But we need a low rise in cases so as to have restrictions relaxed

But we need a low rise in cases so as to have restrictions relaxed

We're not out of this,until we have 4 or 5 days in a row with no new cases

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

chicorytip wrote: »
    Nursing home staff, supermarket personnel, delivery drivers and others who are poorly paid would be taking home little more than that for a full weeks work. These are extraordinary circumstances we are living in, of course, but the government needs to exercise prudence and caution in regard to spending to ensure economic recovery can occur as quickly as possible in the aftermath of this crisis.

The big risk associated with lower payments is that people would not isolate themselves because they simply could not afford to. If I thought I might not be able to feed my kids next week, there’s a good chance I’d ignore my persistent cough and mild shortness of breath this week.

We will never be a position where there are zero new cases in a day. Restrictions will be relaxed when new cases are considered manageable, not when they are zero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jules5417

"...with underlying medical conditions"

Wonder if obesity is one of those.

It has a bearing but cardiovascular disease is top 14 percent
    Hypertention 9 percent
    COPD 6.4 percent and diabetes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

That’s unlikely to happen until beyond a vaccine is found!
    The purpose of the current restrictions is not to wait until there are zero cases and this fact seems to go over so many people’s heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

It’ll actually make next week’s figures more accurate than this week’s. It’s the current figures that are skewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

JoeA3 wrote: »
    That’s unlikely to happen until beyond a vaccine is found!
    The purpose of the current restrictions is not to wait until there are zero cases and this fact seems to go over so many people’s heads.

Have they hit zero new cases in China before they started coming out of a more severe lockdown?

Just watching Virgin media here it was mentioned that the recent economic crash added €120 billion to the National debt. This crisis is set to add a quarter of that. Perhaps the chicken little’s on this thread and other Covid threads panicking about the economy should take a chill pill. Try a little mindfulness

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Know of a few people today who broke the restrictions for the 1st time.

Either bigger lockdown next week or people will just start going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That's just not going to happen.

Theres still going to be cases when restrictions are lifted. Like the restrictions we have now they were brought in gradually and they'll be lifted grandually.

My guess would probably be we'll be in this phase until end of april, then back to social distancing like last week for May and then June a slow restart of everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Broke them how ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Broke them how ?

Letting kids out to mix.

Another dropping kids up to grandparents for a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

What can you do?

Sneak a walk in a closed park, cycle 5k?,

• Advertisement

Very noticeable the higher amount of traffic & pedestrians out today compared to the week.
    I'm a frontline worker, so out everyday.
    A lot more traffic today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement