Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Letting kids out to mix.

Another dropping kids up to grandparents for a break.

What difference will further restrictions make?

Enhanced enforcement of the existing ones is what is needed.

In reality unless we start to see body count go towards 50 and then 100 a day there will be no further enforcement measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

bubblypop wrote: »
    Very noticeable the higher amount of traffic & pedestrians out today compared to the week.
    I'm a frontline worker, so out everyday.
    A lot more traffic today

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

easypazz wrote: »

In reality unless we start to see body count go towards 50 and then 100 a day there will be no further enforcement measures.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

easypazz wrote: »

I'd be all in favour of the gardai doing more checkpoints. One day of it on the main roads and you will get rid of any one who is just out for a spin. Haven't seen one checkpoint where I live in the city in cork.

Was busier today, and looking at strava, people are still going far afield for runs and cycles which is not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭storker

Am I missing something here? Genuine question but how will the peak be pushed out if the most restrictive measures are in place now? The peak surely has to occur sometime within the next 5-10 days as after that the amount of infections transmitted between people is at its lowest due to the most severe restrictions in place?
    People keep talking about the surge is not here, we are only at the start etc but I really fail to understand how is not here if not nearly here?

Because of inadequate levels testing and the capacity of the virus to infect asymptomatically.

• Advertisement

Know of a few people today who broke the restrictions for the 1st time.

Either bigger lockdown next week or people will just start going out.

..and the period of restricted movement will be even longer. A lot of people don't seem to get that the more they comply with the restrictions, the sooner the restrictions will be lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Letting kids out to mix.

Grossly irresponsible. Seems to be some confusion still with regards to the gardai being able to enforce the rules to do away with this sort of stuff. Government say as of today it's in law, gardai saying this morning they hadn't been officially informed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭newspower

Letting kids out to mix.

Some people are complete fools. Why would they think that leaving your kids to their Grandparents is a good idea in this climate. Unless they are trying to get rid of Grandparents. Selfish S****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

chicorytip wrote: »
    I think paying 350 euro a week to those who have lost jobs is excessive. We simply can't afford to and will be looking for another bailout if things don't improve within the next two months. The appropriate rate of payment ought to be the equivalent of the Jobseekers Allowance 203 p.w.

Do you realise the cost of living in Ireland? What do you suggest, that they eat grass? Ridiculous post, people who have lost their jobs still have bills to pay.

I'm in Louth and have been tramping around the roads within 2km these last few days. Without doubt there were far more cars on the road today! For Sunday, Monday and Tuesday it was very quiet, today was different, in fact the road was quite dangerous again.

I drove later to a small centra a few KM away to get bread , its right beside the beach, things were very busy around the area of the shop and car park, I think people are already starting to ignore the rules.

I also think the fact the stats on new cases EACH day is about the same (200-300) is not helping. These numbers are misleading due to the delays in testing and even longer delays in results - labs can only copy with a few hundred day therefore the results of new cases are never going to get higher!!
    So people think its already leveling out - this is dangerous! HSE and Govt need to come out and say the numbers are artificially low due to testing problems and this might frighten people into staying home!

Look at the deaths - that's a more accurate figure,.and that's also pretty stable.

• Advertisement

Grossly irresponsible. Seems to be some confusion still with regards to the gardai being able to enforce the rules to do away with this sort of stuff. Government say as of today it's in law, gardai saying this morning they hadn't been officially informed yet.

It's just a visibility thing at the moment. I've been stopped twice at checkpoints (both times on my only trips > 2km, which is good to see), but they took my word for the reasons for the trip even and didn't even look at the letter I had for the trip today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭tritriagain

citysights wrote: »
    Do you realise the cost of living in Ireland? What do you suggest, that they eat grass? Ridiculous post, people who have lost their jobs still have bills to pay.

The cost of living hasn't got dearer cos of coronavirus. I lost my job after 27 years in mid Feb and I get 203 euro. My niece lost her Saturday job and gets 350. How is that equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

We irish as a people are going to suffer from this outbreak because we are a bunch of chancers

Take Drink driving. Corruption with the banks. The government. The gards.

The ah sur it will be grand atittude has to change because if it doesn't it really wont be

• Registered Users Posts: 18,059 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    We irish as a people are going to suffer from this outbreak because we are a bunch of chancers

Take Drink driving. Corruption with the banks. The government. The gards.

The ah sur it will be grand atittude has to change because if it doesn't it really wont be

What are you on about

storker wrote: »
    It's just a visibility thing at the moment. I've been stopped twice at checkpoints (both times on my only trips > 2km, which is good to see), but they took my word for the reasons for the trip even and didn't even look at the letter I had for the trip today.

Likewise I've seen a huge increase in presence when I've been out.

Drove twice yesterday for essential reasons and came across checkpoints on both journeys, they did ask for the proof though.

Went for a walk on Tuesday evening down to the local beach and came across 2 gardai, very pleasant what are you out for and then when I said just out for a walk they asked where I lived and were happy I was within 2k.

Just read there on rte that they are still waiting for the powers of enforcement to be transferred over. When that happens then you might see them becoming more stricter with the likes of the documentation etc but for the moment its proper community policing

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

Well an extra €20 billion (which I think is conservative) just gives us less money down the line to invest in health/transport etc which in itself will result in deaths, there's no easy time to relax/end these restrictions, but there has to be a balance between a small amount of people unfortunately dieing along with protecting the economy/jobs as much as possible. I don't envy whoever makes that decision as either way people are going to moan

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Is a person under 70 allowed to go to the supermarket on the bus

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Garibaldi? wrote: »

No. Public transport is only for essential workers afaik

Garibaldi? wrote: »

Not supposed to. They can get what they need delivered, an post, the gardai and local groups all offering to delivery shopping to people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The cost of living hasn't got dearer cos of coronavirus. I lost my job after 27 years in mid Feb and I get 203 euro. My niece lost her Saturday job and gets 350. How is that equality.

In February it was assumed you could find a new job.
    No one is hiring now, and with so many people circumstances changing so rapidly, the had to do something.

It's a sh*t situation to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

It’s an emergency payment, people literally lost their jobs overnight.

count yourself lucky you live in Ireland

While most European countries pay Jobseeker's Benefit as a proportion of reference earnings, some do not. “For instance, in the UK, the rate of unemployment benefit is £73.10 (€82.70) per week (less than 15% of UK's average earnings) for a single person and £114.85 per week (€129.90) for a couple.Oct 4, 2017

bladespin wrote: »
    In Spain you can still go to the hairdresser,

No, you can't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    In February it was assumed you could find a new job.
    No one is hiring now, and with so many people circumstances changing so rapidly, the had to do something.

It's a sh*t situation to be fair.

The supermarket chains are hiring. They are under immense pressure with many staff in self isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

tuxy wrote: »
    The supermarket chains are hiring. They are under immense pressure with many staff in self isolation.

Some are but lots aren't. Dunnes for example are over staffed in a lot of their stores I've being told as they have brought workers from the clothing sections into the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Stheno wrote: »
    No. Public transport is only for essential workers afaik

Not true at all. I get the bus to work every day and always a few people who get it to the shopping centre and local village in the morning. Not everyone has cars they can do grocery shopping in sure. Bus drivers aren't quizzing people about their journey either, they have no authority to.

The buses have seats blocked off for social distancing and downstairs is reserved for elderly people.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭section4

My wife is a nurse, we were in Donegal fir 2 weeks when the restrictions started, she had to come back up to work a week of night shifts a week last Monday. My house in Donegal is out on its own with no one within 200 metres, ideal just now. She didn’t want to get the bus up in case she became infected and then carried it into work. She insisted I drive her up which I did although I didn’t want to as I am over 60 and in the vulnerabl3 group and would be safer in my house in Donegal . I drove her up thinking I could then drive back down but now the restrictions are in. I don’t want to be here and she doesn’t want me here when she is in out of work, I could drive down to my house without meeting anyone and be safer. I wonder would I be allowed to do that.

rob316 wrote: »
    What are you on about

what am I on about

are you dim or what?

I see you have company given the likes youve gotten

Im talking about the blaise lax chance taking attitude alot of us irish have.corruption has been rife in many facets in the country is typical of it another is drink driving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

section4 wrote: »
    My wife is a nurse, we were in Donegal fir 2 weeks when the restrictions started, she had to come back up to work a week of night shifts a week last Monday. My house in Donegal is out on its own with no one within 200 metres, ideal just now. She didn’t want to get the bus up in case she became infected and then carried it into work. She insisted I drive her up which I did although I didn’t want to as I am over 60 and in the vulnerabl3 group and would be safer in my house in Donegal . I drove her up thinking I could then drive back down but now the restrictions are in. I don’t want to be here and she doesn’t want me here when she is in out of work, I could drive down to my house without meeting anyone and be safer. I wonder would I be allowed to do that.

If I was you I'd just head back to Donegal. If the guards stop you just say you were dropping your wife ( who is a nurse) to work and you're heading home. It's the truth and its perfectly reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,425 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    count yourself lucky you live in Ireland

While most European countries pay Jobseeker's Benefit as a proportion of reference earnings, some do not. “For instance, in the UK, the rate of unemployment benefit is £73.10 (€82.70) per week (less than 15% of UK's average earnings) for a single person and £114.85 per week (€129.90) for a couple.Oct 4, 2017

Ours is far too generous for lifers but scandalous for those working their bollix off all their life to be then left with the same rate as complete low life lazy scum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement