Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I say gone are the days that we will all be packing into buses rammed to the door - because that's not safe for anyone.

Again public transport and the likes will adapt, just like they are running at the moment - seats restricted - unable to sit beside a stranger on the bus.

With large volumes of people wfh, instead of being in the office, or staggered work times etc, less people will need to use buses at the same time.

You come across as someone who would have been opposed to wheelchair friendly buses - because it's only a minority. If there is a will in society, which i believe there will be - everyone will work together for the good of everyone's life, and no part of society will be left to lock away or feel unwanted until there is a vaccine.

Stop doing this! I have reported you for making disgusting insinuations regarding my character.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Once the economy is opened back up every tax payer should receive a 500 it 1000 euro helicopter money payment to go out and spend. Give the economy a boot up the arse to get it moving again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Cyrus wrote: »
    As opposed to you who has a solution for everything, actually you don’t it’s just #lockdownforlife

When did I say lockdown for life ? People seem to have a problem with those that acknowledge the problems and potential risks that come with lifting the lockdown.

#Sheep4Life #BoardsExperts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Once the economy is opened back up every tax payer should receive a 500 it 1000 euro helicopter money payment to go out and spend. Give the economy a boot up the arse to get it moving again

can you clarify who is a tax payer? like would it be margaret cash, because she pays VAT? or do you mean the currently employed and recently unemployed?

theyll be giving many of the long term wasters, a christmas bonus in december, to be pissed up against a wall, snorted up the nose, bookies etc. No probelm with your suggestion, once the wasters dont get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

I will spend it in a pub :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Downlinz

niallo27 wrote: »
    Is this headline not hugely misleading, from what I read it mean antibody tests wont prove your immune and not that there is no immunity.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0418/1132298-who-anti-bodies-covid-19/

I think the central point they're making is that only a minuscule percentage of the world population have been found to have these antibodies so the idea that a large number of us were asymptomatically infected at some point and are now secretly immune has no bearing on reality.

In terms of immunity existing they seem to say there isn't enough evidence to determine that yet so the headline is a bit misleading unless you take it in a literal sense.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I feel your moaning failed miserably.

Don't be so hyperbolic man! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

To be honest it's not a bad idea. There was a suggestion made in an opinion piece a read last week that every household should be given a voucher to a certain value that they could spend in their locality when places reopened, I'd prefer the voucher option to cash, even if it was say €100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Cupatae wrote: »
    When did I say lockdown for life ? People seem to have a problem with those that acknowledge the problems and potential risks that come with lifting the lockdown.

#Sheep4Life #BoardsExperts

There has been maybe one, two posters who has refused to acknowledge the problems with lifting the lockdown, which is why the majority want restrictions lifted incrementally . The point is an extended lockdown can create more problems then it solves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I don't like the streak this whole situation has revealed in people. This whole East Berlin notion of reporting people for breaking lockdown. Some seem almost half giddy at the thought of having a tale to tell the gardai. Fair enough if someone throws a party or has a heap of people over but other than that I wouldn't dream of it. Sociologists will have a field day when this ends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Don't be so hyperbolic man! :D

Cant help it I'm a sheep sure!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭JPCN1

It'll be spent on cheap tat from China though and clothes made by virtual slaves.

Maybe a rethink about how and who we do business with...

alwald wrote: »
    I will spend it in a pub :D

No problem. It will be supporting jobs and the gov will ultimately get it back in vat. Also when you wake up in bits and maybe head for a roll or coffee you will still be supporting jobs and gov collecting the vat back. Your choice. Spend away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

All the fluff outta the lift the lockdown brigade they want em lifted rapid as they are worried about the money but when put to the question on the issues around such a return to normality they have no answers just a load of fluff buzz word of the day they hide behind **hyperbolic**

Kasier seems to think his a psychologist, and expert on why people think how they think , then there's the legion of sheep behind him...

Boards is always good for a laugh.

They'll be disappearing when the hospitals are over run with cases if the current soft lockdown is lifted. "Sure its only old people" after all.

It'll be the gubbermints fault then.

There has been maybe one, two posters who has refused to acknowledge the problems with lifting the lockdown, which is why the majority want restrictions lifted incrementally . The point is an extended lockdown can create more problems then it solves.

On the flip side the only people I've seen mentioning the indefinite lockdown is yourself and people like you, I've yet to see a poster say they want an indefinite lockdown yet ye keep bringing it up ha

The questions I asked were legitimate but they couldn't answer them so they were dismissed as hyperbolic I take that as a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

No problem. It will be supporting jobs and the gov will ultimately get it back in vat. Also when you wake up in bits and maybe head for a roll or coffee you will still be supporting jobs and gov collecting the vat back. Your choice. Spend away

It was merely a joke as we all know pubs won't be open by then. Your idea is actually brilliant and will have a lot of benefits regardless if it's cash or vouchers!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    can you clarify who is a tax payer? like would it be margaret cash, because she pays VAT? or do you mean the currently employed and recently unemployed?

theyll be giving many of the long term wasters, a christmas bonus in december, to be pissed up against a wall, snorted up the nose, bookies etc. No probelm with your suggestion, once the wasters dont get it

Did someone on the dole take your lunch money as a kid.

Every second post we get it like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

BanditLuke wrote: »
    They'll be disappearing when the hospitals are over run with cases if the current soft lockdown is lifted. "Sure its only old people" after all.

So what's the plan when the government ends the €350 per week and companies go bust and the health service cant operate because there's no money. Eventually telling people to stay at home and shut up will wear thin. Plenty of people here have elderly and sick relations so don't talk as if you're some holy Joe with a monopoly on compassion.

JPCN1 wrote: »
    It'll be spent on cheap tat from China though and clothes made by virtual slaves.

Maybe a rethink about how and who we do business with...

This is unfortunately true. Some kind of campaign about supporting Irish businesses and people. We are in this together etc would be needed. Might help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

I agree. I hope to a certain extent people do change things. But also worry that people are creatures of habit. How long till all of the procedures just owly fade away and then we are pretty much back to normal.

This is one of the very reasons the pubs need to remain closed. It is one of many.
    But if they do it like other businesses with less seating or people coming in or whatever why couldn't they? The reason it's a good enough excuse is because people need to get back to normality earning money and pubs arent just pubs half of them can be called restaurants if they wanted, which people will be crying to be open again. Lots of places are crammed like pubs but will be reopened before pubs and people wont say a thing.

Alcohol adds a degree of complexity to the equation that can't be solved for pubs.

• Advertisement

This is unfortunately true. Some kind of campaign about supporting Irish businesses and people. We are in this together etc would be needed. Might help

Like keelings

BanditLuke wrote: »

People have convinced themselves that can't happen and it's hyperbolic... the hospitals simple can't be over run and when restrictions are lifted we will just sail along nice and rosey no problems

Why didn't someone just tell Italy at the start to stop being hyperbolic and to just live beside the virus :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That's the big one, all kind of rosy at the moment with people getting a grand set of money a week. But when that 350 stops in 5 weeks (I think) what happens then. People arent going to be happy sitting there on just job seekers money or whatever they decide to do. Basically most jobs are going to have to reopen as soon as this 350 dries up, simple as that.

Apart from the greedy baštards i think most people are fully aware of the gravity of what’s happening. Their attitude to cash will be for it to keep them going, fed, supplies, toiletries etc, rent if required. Nobody is focusing on holidays, a new house, new bathroom, upgrading the car, new teeth or that kind of stuff... reopening early will have a detrimental effect on people.

I’d rather have lighter wallets then fuller graves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

On the flip side the only people I've seen mentioning the indefinite lockdown is yourself and people like you, I've yet to see a poster say they want an indefinite lockdown yet ye keep bringing it up ha

The questions I asked were legitimate but they couldn't answer them so they were dismissed as hyperbolic I take that as a win.

It's brought up as you are arguing with people who have stated they want a gradually lifting of restrictions, such as Kaiser stated. Yet you picked him out in your comment.

You also keep posing all these awful scenarios should restrictions be lifted, in such a way that it seems you oppose these restrictions being lifted in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,739 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Neither then are barbers, dentists, taxi's, public transport, air travel....

At some stage we have to get all these working again.

With the exception of barbers, all or most of these business are still going on during the pandemic - they are essential services - a pub isn't - as i can buy drink in a off licence if i really want a drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭JPCN1

For sure. People will have little choice to holiday at home I suppose. (Though not Connemara or Kilkee)

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    So what's the plan when the government ends the €350 per week and companies go bust and the health service cant operate because there's no money. Eventually telling people to stay at home and shut up will wear thin. Plenty of people here have elderly and sick relations so don't talk as if you're some holy Joe with a monopoly on compassion.

That's above my pay grade. I'm a hurler on the ditch just like the majority here but as I've said all along we need to do everything to support the health service and prevent a tsunami of cases and a Italy type scenerio.

Relaxing restrictions at the start of May isn't the answer. Let's let Sweden and others be the guinea pigs and see where we are say come July.

This is one of the very reasons the pubs need to remain closed. It is one of many.

Alcohol adds a degree of complexity to the equation that can't be solved for pubs.

That's all well and good but what about all the people employed at these places? Have they to just go get different jobs, stay on the dole meaning the people paying tax are going to have to pay much more. When do they reopen? Who works in them when all the bar staff go get different jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Didnt Japan do this in the past and everyone just saved it. Maybe voucher system with an expiry on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

It looks like few of the lockdown nazis deliberately missed the news that we hit our peak 10 days ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement