Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think golf could be permitted. Maybe people whose surname is between A and E could play at one period, F to J next period etc.

Horse racing, greyhound racing behind closed doors. Fishing, shooting permitted. Swimming pools with restrictions. Let people run around GAA, soccer pitches. Mountain climbing with restrictions.

My hardware shop is open, don't see a problem as long as access is regulated. Gives people something to do.

An hour period should be set aside to allow over 70's to get out.

Working from home to carry on where possible. Flexible working hours (including Saturday, Sunday) for others to enable social distancing to take place.

Construction on small sites to commence early. No reason why a plumber, electrician, tiler etc. can't work if proper procedures followed.

Tough enforcement for non-compliance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Did you miss the bit about more than 75% of the workforce are still working, hence paying taxes? or the bit about some industries are boom and so more vat being paid in those areas?

For how long though?

Bus Eireann / Irish Rail are still paying staff but losing money.

250 people are arriving into Dublin airport every day, do you think its viable to pay all the staff indefinitely?

People being paid by county councils, but a lot of commercial rates not coming in.

Aer Lingus and Ryanair, how long before they have to sack everybody.

That is just a few examples, but if this is not solved another huge tranche of people will be on the dole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

I was never unhappy. Iwas responding to BanditLuke who was engaged in the following conversation.

If you argue that you want to follow what the experts do, without ever giving your own timeline on what you'd do, then you support our current indefinite lockdown, as noone knows when the restrictions will begin to be lifted. And that is fine. But I suggest people be aware of the position they support.

No i dont support a indefinite lockdown i support what the experts are suggesting, they clearly arent suggesting a indefinite lockdown... incase you didnt know the current lockdown is for 3 weeks.

How did you get indefinite from a 3 week lockdown? you can try your hardest to paint people as advocating a indefinite lockdown as much as you want but anyone with a brain in there head will be able to see its nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I was never unhappy. Iwas responding to BanditLuke who was engaged in the following conversation.

If you argue that you want to follow what the experts do, without ever giving your own timeline on what you'd do, then you support our current indefinite lockdown, as noone knows when the restrictions will begin to be lifted. And that is fine. But I suggest people be aware of the position they support.

So nobody has said indefinitely. Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,739 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

This is absolutely not true. I'm sorry. I had an interview for a job in a shopping center and it was cancelled when the 2Km restriction came in.

When I said closed I mean in the sense that there are too many people on Welfare for it to continue for a prolonged period of time. I didn't quite know how to word it exactly but I didn't mean closed economy in the true sense of the word e.g. North Korea is a closed economy.

You can get jobs as healthcare assistance, in super markers, amazon, essential service jobs - even kellings where looking for staff. If you really want to find work you find it.

I had a recruiter onto me yesterday seeing if i would be interested in a job that are doing remote interviews. I know others who have started new jobs during this pandemic - all equipment was shipped out to their house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Neither then are barbers, dentists, taxi's, public transport, air travel....

At some stage we have to get all these working again.

Dentists are open, I've an appointment on Monday.

robinph wrote: »
    Yes, they will be one of the last to reopen. But it is a far easier to control environment than a pub. The gym can set their equipment further apart, restrict numbers in each area at a time, enforce cleaning before and after use etc.

And everyone is sober, unlike in a pub which someone suggested would open before gyms.

Oh if its an argument between which would be easier to implement of course the gym over the pub thats no contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Did you miss the bit about more than 75% of the workforce are still working, hence paying taxes? or the bit about some industries are boom and so more vat being paid in those areas?

Do you think its viable to sustain an economy long term were 25% of people aren't working? Have you heard of the 1980's in Ireland? The worst then was around 17%.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    So nobody has said indefinitely. Ta

CupofTae did. I'll ask you again then, when do you propose to lift restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

robinph wrote: »
    Change the pubs to sit down at tables and table service only will limit people's movement and close contact, like in a cafe in other European countries.

Never going to happen in the UK and Ireland though.

I think it could. Lots of London pubs are already a bit like this, with a focus on food. The question is would it be profitable enough for them to bother opening? I expect a lot of pubs will never reopen after this.

• Advertisement

You can get jobs as healthcare assistance, in super markers, amazon, essential service jobs - even kellings where looking for staff. If you really want to find work you find it.

I had a recruiter onto me yesterday seeing if i would be interested in a job that are doing remote interviews. I know others who have started new jobs during this pandemic - all equipment was shipped out to their house.

Unlikely, we are heading towards 1000000 people out of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

easypazz wrote: »
    For how long though?

Bus Eireann / Irish Rail are still paying staff but losing money.

250 people are arriving into Dublin airport every day, do you think its viable to pay all the staff indefinitely?

People being paid by county councils, but a lot of commercial rates not coming in.

Aer Lingus and Ryanair, how long before they have to sack everybody.

That is just a few examples, but if this is not solved another huge tranche of people will be on the dole.

the airport situation is outrageous, we arent going back to normal travel, for god knows how long. What are these staff, being paid to do?!

Cupatae wrote: »
    No i dont support a indefinite lockdown i support what the experts are suggesting, they clearly arent suggesting a indefinite lockdown... incase you didnt know the current lockdown is for 3 weeks.

How did you get indefinite from a 3 week lockdown? you can try your hardest to paint people as advocating a indefinite lockdown as much as you want but anyone with a brain in there head will be able to see its nonsense.

Because we do not know when the restrictions will be lifted again. They may extended like they have been before. We have not been told that restrictions will be eased after these three weeks. As such we are under an indefinite lockdown. There is no clear-timeline for the lifting of restrictions.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the airport situation is outrageous, we arent going back to normal travel, for god knows how long. What are these staff, being paid to do?!

Massive decisions will need to be made. They are building a second runway in DUB. Probably costs €1 Billion, who will pay for it.

They will have to mothball T2, close carparks, shut down whole sections of the airport and run a small operation.

Will it be worth opening Shannon or Knock, or even Cork?

So there are enough jobs, in your opinion, out there for the 25% of people currently without one?

CupofTae did. I'll ask you again then, when do you propose to lift restrictions?

Nope gave you May 5th... again stop the lies. But that aside i said i support the experts opinion (which is a 3 week lockdown) but some how thru mental gymnastics you took that as indefinte.

So there are enough jobs, in your opinion, out there for the 25% of people currently without one?

Do you think there magically will when these restrictions are lifted? do you think thats the saving grace for the 25%?

Do you think there magically will when these restrictions are lifted? do you think thats the saving grace for the 25%?

There won't be jobs for everybody but nobody said that.

The sooner we reopen the more jobs will be save though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Nermal

Anyone advocating the suppression strategy is implicitly arguing for an indefinite lockdown.

Think about it: how can a R0 under 1, the cornerstone of suppression, be maintained when we have gyms, pubs, clubs, restaurants and cinemas open? When we have crowds naturally gathering on public transport, at choke points at national attractions? When sporting events, concerts are occurring all over the country or when tourists are arriving?

If you're prepared to live without every single one of those things (and no doubt a lot else which I haven't thought of) for the best part of two years, and all of the economic damage that will bring - great. You can support our current strategy.

Nope gave you May 5th... again stop the lies. But that aside i said i support the experts opinion (which is a 3 week lockdown) but some how thru mental gymnastics you took that as indefinte.

It's quite simple, as I've explained. There is no clear indication as to when the lockdown will end, the lockdown has been extended to May 5th. That doesn't mean restrictions will begin to be lifted then. It was extended before, it could be again. As such we are locked down indefinitely. It's not mental gymnastics, you just don't understand the meaning of the word!

Had the government said we will continue on until May 5th and then restrictions will be eased your point would be valid. But they did not do this. That's not necessarily a criticism, but what happened.

Also, why May 5th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

As I said already I'm a hurler on the ditch, I'll leave that in the hands of the experts.

If I was to pick a date now depending on a raft of results from various countries I'd say start of July before the klms restriction be lifted then look at others depending on outcome. 5th of May looks like pure madness

Massive decisions will need to be made. They are building a second runway in DUB. Probably costs €1 Billion, who will pay for it.

They will have to mothball T2, close carparks, shut down whole sections of the airport and run a small operation.

Will it be worth opening Shannon or Knock, or even Cork?

the runway is desperately needed, some planes aer lingus ordered, cant even make the range of where they need to get, with the existing runway and this is east coast USA!

yeah exactly, just scale back the operation...

It's quite simple, as I've explained. There is no clear indication as to when the lockdown will end, the lockdown has been extended to May 5th. That doesn't mean restrictions will begin to be lifted then. It was extended before, it could be again. As such we are locked down indefinitely. It's not mental gymnastics, you just don't understand the meaning of the word!

Had the government said we will continue on until May 5th and then restrictions will be eased your point would be valid. But they did not do this. That's not necessarily a criticism, but what happened.

Are you asking me to predict the future or something? can you give me the exact date the restrictions will 100% lifted? otherwise by your own logic ironically enough you support an indefinite lockdown aswell.

Your argument as a whole is moronic tho. "Anyone that agrees with experts opinion advocates indefinite lockdown!"

No, but the 25% number will grow the longer we go as we are. It's likely to decrease if we lift restrictions sooner rather then later. Would you disagree?

No, but the 25% number will grow the longer we go as we are. It's likely to decrease if we lift restrictions sooner rather then later. Would you disagree?

Alot depends on other countries, its a global problem not just Ireland.

Are you asking me to predict the future or something? can you give me the exact date the restrictions will 100% lifted? otherwise by your own logic ironically enough you support an indefinite lockdown aswell.

No, as I've stated when I want them to begin to be lifted. No later then roughly middle of May, preferably on the 6th and start cautiously. Waiting till at least May 5th is the correct course of action imo.

But there are a few posters criticising what others say we should do, without giving their own course of action. When asked to do so they claim they can't because they aren't an expert, or we should do whatever the experts do, even though for all they know the experts will do the very thing they are criticising. So they are expert enough to criticise other ideas but not expert enough to give their own.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the runway is desperately needed, some planes aer lingus ordered, cant even make the range of where they need to get, with the existing runway as they and this is east coast USA!

yeah exactly, just scale back the operation...

I don't get your point. If the airline industry collapses why do we need another runway?

No, as I've stated when I want them to begin to be lifted. No later then roughly middle of May, preferably on the 6th and start cautiously. Waiting till at least May 5th is the correct course of action imo.

So you advocate a indefinite lockdown then? cause you cant 100% give me a concrete date when they are lifted? this is your logic and your words lol

That was your response when i gave my course of action because i didnt have a specific date.

I don't get your point. If the airline industry collapses why do we need another runway?

the contract is signed and its half way built. That existing runway is not fit for purpose, this is discussed in detail on a thread on the aviation forum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

When the lockdown is removed the virus will spread alot faster, it's only a matter of time wait and see the groups and gatherings once the restrictions are eased.

Lockdown removed does not mean restriction will be lifted. One does not equal the other. Its will take many months before they are fully lifted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement