Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the contract is signed and its half way built. That existing runway is not fit for purpose, this is discussed in detail on a thread on the aviation forum...

So use runway 2, mothball runway 1, and use either the new or old terminal, whichever suits best.

Would that be your thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

easypazz wrote: »
    So use runway 2, mothball runway 1, and use either the new or old terminal, whichever suits best.

Would that be your thinking?

the airport already has two runways. this will be a third one. yeah shutting down a terminal, could make sense. It might not make much difference , operating the two. I wouldnt know enough about it, opening two, would require double the cleaning, but total numbers required to operate it at the end of the day, may not be too different, whether you operate one or both, like does it matter if you have ten secutiry staff and five are in T1 and five in T2? Cleaning and lighthing, heating / cooling, are two obvious expenses that would be duplicated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

No, as I've stated when I want them to begin to be lifted. No later then roughly middle of May, preferably on the 6th and start cautiously. Waiting till at least May 5th is the correct course of action imo.

So you advocate a indefinite lockdown then? cause you cant 100% give me a concrete date when they are lifted? this is your logic and your words lol

That was your response when i gave my course of action because i didnt have a specific date.

Oh my days! The government have not stated when they will begin to lift restrictions. They have not given a specific date or said "end of May", as such there is no stated timeline for these restrictions to be in place. Therefore the lockdown is currently an indefinite one, as we don't know when it will begin to end. All current restrictions may extend beyond May 5th, they may not.

I've stated that, if I was in charge, I would begin to ease restrictions after the 5th in small steps, a week after that at most. So I have given a definite timeline as to when I would lift restrictions i.e. no later then the 13th of May or put another way the middle of May. As such, I do not support a lockdown for an indefinite period of time.

they should lift the idiotic restrictions they implemented now, like gardening and landscaping! :rolleyes:

I see in todays irish times, they are allowing hard ware stores re-open fully, shutting down that and the constructions, trades and supply industry (several hundred thousand jobs) was also idiocy...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hardware-stores-may-open-during-pandemic-says-government-1.4232565

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

blackcard wrote: »
    I think golf could be permitted. Maybe people whose surname is between A and E could play at one period, F to J next period etc.

Horse racing, greyhound racing behind closed doors. Fishing, shooting permitted. Swimming pools with restrictions. Let people run around GAA, soccer pitches. Mountain climbing with restrictions.

My hardware shop is open, don't see a problem as long as access is regulated. Gives people something to do.

An hour period should be set aside to allow over 70's to get out.

Working from home to carry on where possible. Flexible working hours (including Saturday, Sunday) for others to enable social distancing to take place.

Construction on small sites to commence early. No reason why a plumber, electrician, tiler etc. can't work if proper procedures followed.

Tough enforcement for non-compliance

Tough enforcement for non compliance ? Who is going to police this ? Masses of people returning to the daily grind... more Gardai on the streets, pulling people, checking.risking themselves, families potentially... all in the name of a few bob being made, right.

Also all the other activities mentioned require a lot of support people and behind the scenes workers who’d be dragged into risk, away from their families and back again... just suck it up, non essential is just that. All in this together!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ace2007 wrote: »
    We can argue all day about pubs - what do people think about gyms - given the mental health positives that getting fit brings to people - do we think these will open anytime soon, or are they going to be a dying business in their current set up?

I say Gyms could open space out there machine have designated places for people to do there exercise. Obviously some like running may not be able to happen (unless you run in a lab suite).

So I see no problem obviously there maybe times you are turned away or have to wait.

As you say can be good for health

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Oh my days! The government have not stated when they will begin to lift restrictions. They have not given a specific date or said "end of May", as such there is no stated timeline for these restrictions to be in place. Therefore the lockdown is currently an indefinite one, as we don't know when it will begin to end. All current restrictions may extend beyond May 5th, they may not.

I've stated that, if I was in charge, I would begin to ease restrictions after the 5th in small steps, a week after that at most. So I have given a definite timeline as to when I would lift restrictions i.e. no later then the 13th of May or put another way the middle of May. As such, I do not support a lockdown for an indefinite period of time.

Are you arguing with yourself now? :pac::D I just applied your own logic to your replies they are your words. You caught yourself out, put the shovel down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/coronavirus-ireland-restrictions-will-be-lifted-in-slow-and-controlled-manner-expert-group-chairman-39138390.html

This gives you an idea as to how the public health authorities are thinking about relaxing restrictions.

Article does reference some non essential business might be able to open with reduced capacity as one of the possible phases. Now what business they contain nobody knows.

I say Gyms could open space out there machine have designated places for people to do there exercise. Obviously some like running may not be able to happen (unless you run in a lab suite).

So I see no problem obviously there maybe times you are turned away or have to wait.

As you say can be good for health

I think the gyms are a long shot right now anyway.. maybe down the line.. the argument can be made you dont need the gyms to get fit, so they arent "essential"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Idbatterim wrote: »
    they should lift the idiotic restrictions they implemented now, like gardening and landscaping! :rolleyes:

I see in todays irish times, they are allowing hard ware stores re-open fully, shutting down that and the constructions, trades and supply industry (several hundred thousand jobs) was also idiocy...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hardware-stores-may-open-during-pandemic-says-government-1.4232565

I saw people out cutting grass commercially yesterday, I as a gardener for one am doing as the government instructed and not working, however, I am concerned as to how long I can leave gardens without any maintenance at all, and ironically my involves me having zero contact with any customers during a working day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Cupatae wrote: »
    I think the gyms are a long shot right now anyway.. maybe down the line.. the argument can be made you dont need the gyms to get fit, so they arent "essential"

Tell that to the PT's and their flocks of sheep

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I saw people out cutting grass commercially yesterday, I as a gardener for one am doing as the government instructed and not working, however, I am concerned as to how long I can leave gardens without any maintenance at all, and ironically my involves me having zero contact with any customers during a working day.

exactly, its total idiocy. There was an article in the paper about the gardening situation earlier. I would trust those fools to tell me the right time of day, its the same crowd that were decimated in the elections for incompetence, do what you think is right at the end of the day...

Are you arguing with yourself now? :pac::D I just applied your own logic to your replies they are your words. You caught yourself out, put the shovel down.

You didn't apply any logic, let alone mine. I asked Bandit Luke the following question, to which for reasons unbeknownst to me, you replied to
    When do you think restrictions should start being lifted?

You replied:
    When the health officials back it and we have a clear well defined plan on how to lift em with long term goals in mind.

The health officials have not yet backed any date to lift restrictions. As such the restrictions are here for an indefinite period of time. When this was pointed out to you you back tracked and said May 5th, a date that the experts haven't given to lift restrictions, but a date to which restrictions will continue to before they decide what to do. So they may extend they may not.

The government have said that restrictions will continue to at least May 5th. Here, there is no definite timeline for them to end. This is the position you initially supported.

They have not said that restrictions will continue till at least May 5th, but no longer then May 13th, at which stage we will begin to ease them. Here, there is a definite timeline for them to begin to ease them. This is the position I support.

If you can't see the difference between both positions then there is no helping you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I work in a MNC job where I can basically work any day of the week. I'd be happy to shift my working week to Wednesday to Sunday. I'm sure many of the Tech firms have this capability.

It will help keep the population apart and keep a steady stream of income into the shops and pubs.

Just one potential measure that could be suggested as restrictions are eased. An example being I could go for my usual 6 Saturday night pints on a Monday and inject some cash into the economy.

You didn't apply any logic, let alone mine. I asked Bandit Luke the following question, to which for reasons unbeknownst to me, you replied to

You replied:

The health officials have not yet backed any date to lift restrictions. As such the restrictions are here for an indefinite period of time. When this was pointed out to you you back tracked and said May 5th, a date that the experts haven't given to lift restrictions, but a date to which restrictions will continue to before they decide what to do. So they may extend they may not.

The government have said that restrictions will continue to at least May 5th. Here, there is no definite timeline for them to end. This is the position you initially supported.

They have not said that restrictions will continue till at least May 5th, but no longer then May 13th, at which stage we will begin to ease them. Here, there is a definite timeline for them to begin to ease them. This is the position I support.

If you can't see the difference between both positions then there is no helping you.

You lie too much, you ve lost all credibility, you stopped quoting just before you got to the part that catches yourself out conveniently enough, id imagine its around the time you realized how contradicting your points were despite your best efforts.

Me saying "I back the experts opinion and want to see the restrictions lifted with a clearly defined plan and in a well thought out manner"

Translated to you

"You support indefinite lock down then"

When questioned on this you replied "It was because i couldnt give a concrete date for the lifting of restrictions"

I then asked you what concrete date you had for em? "To which you had none either"

By your own (stupid might i add) logic you urself supported an indefinite lockdown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Why is ok to expect food shops, refuse collectors and nursing home employees to work through this lockdown
    All low paid employees being thrown to the wolves by people who support the lockdown while they work safely at home or sit at home on their asses collecting 350 a week

I have respect for these employees and I will do my bit in ending this bull**** Lockdown

The lockdown is split between the haves and have nots

Those who are well off and those who can work from home and students with little worries, while having fun making funny videos

And those who have lost their businesses and those who face long term unemployment and the depression and humiliation that follows. Those who will not be able to pay their mortgages and bills. Many will lay in bed tonight thinking suicide is the only escape

But those who are for the lockdown don’t care these people
    Why would they, they only care about themselves

You lie too much, you ve lost all credibility, you stopped quoting just before you got to the part that catches yourself out conveniently enough, id imagine its around the time you realized how contradicting your points were despite your best efforts.

Me saying "I back the experts opinion and want to see the restrictions lifted with a clearly defined plan and in a well thought out manner"

Translated to you

"You support indefinite lock down then"

I haven't lied. The experts haven't given a definite timeline. This is the point. Thats the position you support. They haven't said to lift restrictions after May 5th. As such they are continuing with our indefinite lockdown. And if that is the position you support then fair enough. But at least be aware of it.

What if they experts say to extend to May 20th?
    And then say to extend to first of June?

When do you say actually we shouldn't extend any longer? Or do you just blindly follow and never question?

Why is ok to expect food shops, refuse collectors and nursing home employees to work through this lockdown
    All low paid employees being thrown to the wolves by people who support the lockdown while they work safely at home or sit at home on their asses collecting 350 a week

I have respect for these employees and I will do my bit in ending this bull**** Lockdown

Those who are well off and those who can work from home and students with little worries, while having fun making funny videos

And those who have lost their businesses and those who face long term unemployment and the depression and humiliation that follows. Those who will not be able to pay their mortgages and bills. Many will lay in bed tonight thinking suicide is the only escape

Oh buckle up! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

This is why the lockdown must be unwound through May, its tough and its cruel but those who die, will die.

It could be any one of us or members of our families.

Otherwise the long term consequences are grim for us all anyway.

Keep some measures as required to keep the ICU beds under control, but we have to face up to reality here.

I haven't lied. The experts haven't given a definite timeline. This is the point. Thats the position you support. They haven't said to lift restrictions after May 5th. As such they are continuing with our indefinite lockdown. And if that is the position you support then fair enough. But at least be aware of it.

We are in a 3 week lockdown, to which the restrictions are aimed at being lifted... why is that so hard for you to understand? it is subject to change, but as of now its the goal, whats the problem? why you tryna put a negative spin on it? or associate anyone that agrees with it as wanting a permanent lockdown?

You are twisting the truth and putting words in peoples mouths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

This is why the lockdown must be unwound through May, its tough and its cruel but those who die, will die.

Keep some measures as required to keep the ICU beds under control, but we have to face up to reality here.

Those who die will die.

Just as well the powers that be don't view the situation through your eyes and never will.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/trump-tweets-support-anti-lockdown-protests-200417191437581.html

Surprised you arent out protesting.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Those who die will die.

Just as well the powers that be don't view the situation through your eyes and never will.

The shocking thing is the amount of posters who support his views its genuinely scary. Its why i fear for the hospitals when the restrictions get even slightly eased, the line of thinking is something else, and how they justify it to themselves is something to behold!

We are in a 3 week lockdown, to which the restrictions are aimed at being lifted... why is that so hard for you to understand? it is subject to change, but as of now its the goal, whats the problem? why you tryna put a negative spin on it? or associate anyone that agrees with it as wanting a permanent lockdown?

You are twisting the truth and putting words in peoples mouths.

I'm not putting a negative spin of it. It's the situation we are in. I've never said permanent lockdown. I said indefinite. Bit ironic you accuse me of putting words in peoples mouths don't you think!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Oh buckle up! :D

Just think about this:

There are Part time workers getting 350 per week into the paw posting here tonight safely in their pyjamas in support of the lockdown

There are full time workers right now this minute in shops exposing themselves to the virus not even getting 350

Can someone please explain this to me, preferably one of the lockdown Nazis on here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Just because people support the lockdown does not mean they do not support the people who have lost there jobs. I said as much to you this morning on this thread. People know it will be painful economically when we come out of this.

However people do not want health services to be overwhelmed and people to die and get sick unnecessarily. This also include people with other illnesses who will not be able to be saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,739 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

From your posts, you come across as wanting to slowly open everything - would that be correct?

Lord Quack on the other hand, wants everything open come Monday

You see two completely different approaches

I'm not putting a negative spin of it. It's the situation we are in. I've never said permanent lockdown. I said indefinite. Bit ironic you accuse me of putting words in peoples mouths don't you think!

Its what you insinuated and its the category you were trying box me and other posters into but failed miserably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,739 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Just think about this:

There are Part time workers getting 350 per week into the paw posting here tonight safely in their pyjamas in support of the lockdown

There are full time workers right now this minute in shops exposing themselves to the virus not even getting 350

Can someone please explain this to me, preferably one of the lockdown Nazis on here

Do you have a source and back up for your claims?

Why do you keep using the word Nazis? Do you think it's appropriate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

The shocking thing is the amount of posters who support his views its genuinely scary. Its why i fear for the hospitals when the restrictions get even slightly eased, the line of thinking is something else, and how they justify it to themselves is something to behold!

I'm convinced one or two are publicans who are at their wit's end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement