Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s fair, of course it is. Your sister is involved in a key function that without her working, people could or would die. What do you think happens in a nursing home if no doctors, carers, physios, catering, cleaners turn up ? If she is working for a pittance, that’s not covid related, she agreed on a wage when she accepted the job surly ?

People who are sitting at home WANT to work but are prohibited from working. They STILL have bills and financial commitments that need fulfilling and the payment is helping. They’d fûcking bite your hand off if someone on the news came on and said “ok, all fixed, back to the grindstone.”

How is her risking her own and our parents health fair? Its not, I;m sure she would love to swap her 39 hour week to sit at home but she can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You still have not answered seriously the issue of low paid expected to work at the coal face
    What if they did what you have and go into lockdown
    Where we would all be then?
    All you did was make a joke of the issue

I an at odds what's your point is.

You realise those people are essential as per our semi lockdown and unfortunately that was there wage before the lockdown. Is that unfortunately yes. Do you think all those who are not working due to the lockdown are having a great time. So what is your solution just okay all to work Monday f this lockdown and how much we have come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,739 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

darced wrote: »
    I'd be for paying these staff that are keeping the place running extra first and foremost. The lockdown can go on to May as planned. It has to end then though, keep the at risk locked away, everyone else back to reality.

Given your sister's job - would you be happy for her to be in a lock down situation- i.e. live in a hotel and only be allow to go to/from nursing home - given that she could be a source of infection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

growleaves wrote: »
    Ctstevencrowder,

These are excerpts from blog posts by William M. Briggs, who was Professor of Statistics at the Cornell University Medical School and a Research Scientist at New York Methodist Hospital and has a PhD in Mathematical Sciences.

I recommend the full posts if time permits.

Fauci Walkback

Should We Have Trusted Expert Epidemiological Models?

Cheers for them. I'll give them a read tomorrow. I've a feeling that the Imperial lads made a mess of their initial models alright. Be interesting to see what he says about Fauci.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Given your sister's job - would you be happy for her to be in a lock down situation- i.e. live in a hotel and only be allow to go to/from nursing home - given that she could be a source of infection?

If she was financially rewarded for it yes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

You haven't proven me wrong. You know full well I said is correct, as it's what you have said yourself. Here it is again, in your own words:

and then,

So if the experts disagree, we continue on as are. If they say no continue beyond again, we do.

You ll just have to broaden your ridged thinking.. this might blow your mind... but im both for the lockdown (as in i understand and accept it) and! am for lifting the restrictions when it is safe to do so..

This might come as a shock to you but people can and do care about more than one thing at once!

The anchor point around ur whole argument is based on having a concrete date for lifting the restrictions... since i didnt have one (as im neither in the postion to make such decisions nor am i clairvoyant) you took that as YOU SUPPORT PERMANENT LOCK DOWN blah blah....

But! the irony of the whole thing is when i asked you for a concrete date and to my shock! you didnt have one either! but yet insisted you are thoroughly against the lockdown.

Its a case of one set of rules (stupid ones) for you and another for everyone else in terms of your argument.

darced wrote: »
    If she was financially rewarded for it yes.

Do you think other nursing home staff with families would also be ok to be apart from them for an unknown period of time - until a vaccine is found for instance, given that you said those at risk should be kept on lockdown?

Would you support the idea of visitors being allowed in, or are you treating the residents like prisoners?

Edit: What would you consider financially awarded for it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Yawn,

You avoid the Nazi question,

You avoid admitting you don't care about sick etc and all you want is for everyone to go back to work on Monday and to hell with the consequences. what impact this will have on the healthcare sector - but again you don't care.

Doctors are working now as well, restaurants are open and offering click and collect services. There are a lof of industries out there working. There are deliveroo drivers, there are pizza deliveries, there are hundreds of people working now because they want to work.

You talk about the low paid jobs - from looking at your history of posts you never once complained about their low pay for the virus - you never once said that should get paid more. But now you do - because it means you can attack the government etc.

When the economy reopens will you organize a mass protest to ensure these workers get better pay ? Or will you forget about them, and just go back to your cushy office job?

whatever about anything else - in all your posts you come across as not caring about the sick/elderly and vulnerable in our society.

Check and mate
    One of my first posts was that these workers should receive a large tax rebate
    I actually respect these workers
    You dont care about them, just like you don’t care about the elderly
    You care about you and that’s that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

What do people think are the prospects for lifting the ban on road travel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Do you think all those who are not working due to the lockdown are having a great time.

Interesting question. Say we are pulling 2 x €350, €700 a week, kick the debts down the road and apart from shopping and the usual few bills there isn't a lot of expense.

Sounds ok, but I know the fallout from this gets worse every week and will be with us for years.

• Advertisement

Breezin wrote: »

Lock Quack is proposing that international travel with Oz is in full flow next week, i'm sure road travel be lifted tomorrow :rolleyes:

Cupatae wrote: »
    You ll just have to broaden your ridged thinking.. this might blow your mind... but im both for the lockdown (as in i understand and accept it) and! am for lifting the restrictions when it is safe to do so..

This might come as a shock to you but people can and do care about more than one thing at once!

The anchor point around ur whole argument is based on having a concrete date for lifting the restrictions... since i didnt have one (as im neither in the postion to make such decisions nor am i clairvoyant) you took that as YOU SUPPORT PERMANENT LOCK DOWN blah blah....

But! the irony of the whole thing is when i asked you for a concrete date and to my shock! you didnt have one either! but yet insisted you are thoroughly against the lockdown.

Its a case of one set of rules (stupid ones) for you and another for everyone else in terms of your argument.

I never said permanent lockdown. That's not the argument I'm making. And yet you, without irony, stated earlier that I was putting words in peoples mouths! Yes, you can be in favour of eventually lifting restrictions aswell as have your position. I've never suggested otherwise. But the current strategy is to continue on with them for an indefinite period of time, a strategy that you said you have supported. And such you support a lockdown for an indefinite period of time.

I believe the Government, considering the stage we are at now, should have indicated a date upon which we will begin to ease restrictions. I believe they should have said something along the lines of:

"We keep current restrictions until May 5th, May 13th latest, upon which we will begin to ease them".

Breezin wrote: »

Necessary journeys are allowed already, shops, elderly, work etc.

I don't see why long distance journeys will be necessary in May, other than the reasons already allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,905 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Check and mate

You found a mirror or is this a confessional?

Lord Quacky always signs off with "time to open up"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I believe the Government, considering the stage we are at now, should have indicated a date upon which we will begin to ease restrictions. I believe they should have said something along the lines of:

"We keep current restrictions until May 5th, May 13th latest, upon which we will begin to ease them".

How can they when they dont know how the situation will develop. I think the only thing they can do at the moment is review the situation every couple of weeks as they are doing now.

I believe they should have said something along the lines of:

Yes but in reality this was never going to be possible? You just refuse to accept reality.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yes but in reality this was never going to be possible? You just refuse to accept reality.

Why not? And what reality am I refusing to accept?

Why not?

Because unless they had a crystal ball they simply had no way of knowing how the disease would actually spread. It needed the public to co-operate. And relying on the Irish Public is sketchy.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Because unless they had a crystal ball they simply had no way of knowing how the disease would actually spread.

I don't mean they should have said such a thing from the get go i.e. back in March. I'm broadly supportive of all measures taken so far. But I don't believe at this stage they haven't got some date in mind with regards to easing restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

easypazz wrote: »
    Necessary journeys are allowed already, shops, elderly, work etc.

I don't see why long distance journeys will be necessary in May, other than the reasons already allowed.

I meant non-essential.

• Advertisement

I don't mean they should have said such a thing from the get go i.e. back in March. I'm broadly supportive of all measures taken so far. But I don't believe at this stage they haven't got some date in mind with regards to easing restrictions.

They might have but it depends on the public co operation again. And it seems some dolts have decided the restrictions will definitely end May 5th no matter what. Idiots like that will only drag this out even more.

Hell at the start if the public actually listened it could be over sooner but instead we had thick inbred's crowding into pubs and houseparties. Then boasting about it here thinking they were "legends" The thicks who decide they know best and can do whatever they like will keep prolonging this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Interesting question. Say we are pulling 2 x €350, €700 a week, kick the debts down the road and apart from shopping and the usual few bills there isn't a lot of expense.

Sounds ok, but I know the fallout from this gets worse every week and will be with us for years.

There is not a lot of expense. How about utility bill's rent or a mortgage. Yes they have been stopped briefly but will have to be paid. Also it's not just the money it's been in and around your house all day and meeting others.

I have never said the lockdown can go on check my history if you want but it needs to be done in a controlled manner or else we will be back to this in a months time

I never said permanent lockdown. That's not the argument I'm making. And yet you, without irony, stated earlier that I was putting words in peoples mouths! Yes, you can be in favour of eventually lifting restrictions aswell as have your position. I've never suggested otherwise. But the current strategy is to continue on with them for an indefinite period of time, a strategy that you said you have supported. And such you support a lockdown for an indefinite period of time.

I believe the Government at the stage we are now should have indicated a date upon which we will begin to ease restrictions. I believe they should have said something along the lines of:

The bottom line is, ill define what my position is on the whole thing not you.

Check and mate

Looking at your history - one of your first posts was about creepy corporations and then about Rugby.

You never once cared about these low paid worker prior to the virus. You only care about them now as it's a way of attacking the government etc. Show us all the post before this virus broke out that you wanted to give them more money?

If you read some of my early posts on the virus - you would see my personal family situation and you would know that i care more than you can imagine.

If you read my posts about wanting equality for all include the sick/vulnerable and elderly when we slowly lift restrictions, you'll see i care for all.

But you don't read, you just continuously spout the same nonsense about we need to open the economy on Monday etc.

There is not a lot of expense. How about utility bill's rent or a mortgage. Yes they have been stopped briefly but will have to be paid. Also it's not just the money it's been in and around your house all day and meeting others.

I have never said the lockdown can go on check my history if you want but it needs to be done in a controlled manner or else we will be back to this in a months time

I can't see this lockdown happening again.

They will have to let it rip at some point.

I can't see this lockdown happening again.

They will have to let it rip at some point.

so if we get to 50+ deaths everyday in May - we just continue on - in the survival of the fitness logic?

We have come out of this in a decent place - if you look at the uk/italy/spain - if they had a chance to relive the last few weeks, do you think they wouldn't have changed anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Not everyone works 39 hours a week
    Jesus wept

You actually said full time that's usually 39hrs per week at least.

Can I add language as well as maths to the range of skills you need to brush up on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,279 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We need to test the water with creches and childminders first, they were nearly first to close but a lot of people can't return to work without them.
    We also need to look at restarting some counties first before restarting dublin last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Check and mate

You are all over the place.

Give your head a wobble.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement