Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Ha nice post troll

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ohh FFS

All mass gathering will be banned until August at the earliest, under plans set to be announced by the Government due to the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

It is understood the decision was taken by Ministers at a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday morning.

The decision means that major sports fixtures, concerts and other events will have to be rearranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Ohh FFS

All mass gathering will be banned until August at the earliest, under plans set to be announced by the Government due to the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

It is understood the decision was taken by Ministers at a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday morning.

The decision means that major sports fixtures, concerts and other events will have to be rearranged.

I think this is in line with what other countries like Germany and Belgium announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The crowd isn't going to be that big if a stadium is half full.

There are ways around this if we are creative. We can't keep people apart completely everywhere, social distancing in busy cities will be nigh on impossible. It will be about doing as much as we practically can.

And how will that work for say amateur players that have to go back to work the next day?
    They have talked about professional players been cocooned away for short periods so that leagues can be finished, but what do you do with amateurs ?
    easypazz wrote: »
    Reduced capacity, seating only, beer gardens, extra partitions between sections.

No hanging around at the counter.

Its not rocket science.

Yeah I figured a long time ago that very little rocket science went on in pubs.
    Mostly the patrons seem to be either politicians or diplomats that can solve all the world's problems if only given the chance. ;)

Why single out pubs?

Because they are a den of inequity, and drinking alcohol is the devil's pastime.

And everyone who enjoys going to one is clearly an alcoholic.

No, but they usually have a fair amount of drunk people at some stage, a fair proportion of whom either act the complete bollo* or the complete eejit.
    Either cohort become difficult to manage and trying to enforce social distancing on them will be nigh on impossible.

I seriously wonder if some around here have forgotten what happens in Irish pubs. :rolleyes:

Sure aren't the full of reasonable people the whole time.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Ohh FFS

Link?

That was on the cards alright

The definition of a mass gathering will be interesting

• Advertisement

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I think this is in line with what other countries like Germany and Belgium announced.

Neither are islands and both have bigger populations. We should be looking at Greenland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Ohh FFS

UEFA won't be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

growleaves wrote: »
    Aye, I'll take the word of a libertarian, no to "big government", gun toting, anti vaxxer, anti gay, religious nutter Yank over... well, pretty much no one. Now that stuff might go over well with the slack jawed yokels in the square states praying for the rapture, while playing their banjos, whose exposure to education stopped at Sesame Street(though that's probably too commie for them), but to anyone with two functioning brain cells to rub together, not so much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

GazzaL wrote: »
    UEFA won't be happy.

I'm not happy, how many does a beach hold....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Neither are islands and both have bigger populations. We should be looking at Greenland.
    We're in the EU and, outside of that, have obligations with the border with NI. We can't cut off so easily.
    August for mass gatherings is hardly a surprise. Does that cover gatherings for Mass...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

wadacrack wrote: »

Thanks

No real detail there but I'm sure more will break as the day goes on

ixoy wrote: »
    We're in the EU and, outside of that, have obligations with the border with NI. We can't cut off so easily.
    August for mass gatherings is hardly a surprise. Does that cover gatherings for Mass...

Tbh if they north doesn't play ball I'd be included to nuke them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm not happy, how many does a beach hold....
    A "mass gathering" is generally an organised event, not particular locations.

I expect beaches, national parks etc. to be opened in the not so distant future, but family groups only and social distancing in place.

I don't see how being an island makes a difference of thousands of people going to concert in Ireland vs Belgium vs Germany vs Greenland. . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Ohh FFS

Why are you so shocked by this? This was always going to be the case. Actually mass gatherings being allowed in August is wildly optimistic in my opinion. More likely to be Nov/Dec at the earliest and that is without a lethal second wave of the virus happening this autumn/winter.

Thanks

No real detail there but I'm sure more will break as the day goes on

All the details you need are here, there's some chap from Ethiopia running Ireland at the moment https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-on-mass-gatherings-and-covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ohh FFS

Thats not really something that wasn't expected. It's in line with other European countries. Banned until end of August in Germany and Belgium

Link?

It will indeed. From June I think a mass gathering in Denmark is 500 people until August

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Wonder does that include weddings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Christ this is getting worse and potentially will get nasty

No mass gatherings til August at the earliest

Mass gatherings is expected to be 5,000 people as per irish times

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Read that, but that sounds way too risky. I'd expect 20 or 50, unless they're very confident about spread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Link?

I assume it would be along the lines of the first round of restrictions that were announced in mid March. No more than 100 people indoors or 500 outdoors together at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Irish Times says 5000? That seems generous tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Cheekpieces

hmmm wrote: »
    Read that, but that sounds way too risky. I'd expect 20 or 50, unless they're very confident about spread.

Some disparity on numbers you clown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

5k is a lot. I would have expected at most 500

If true, that's very optimistic.
    I think they should start with a lower threshold and increase is as time passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭bmc58

hmmm wrote: »

Irish people need to hold fast as the measures imposed so far are saving many lives.These tough restrictions need to continue for some time longer for all our good.Otherwise if the restrictions are relaxed too early there WILL be a second wave of the virus and we will be back to square one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

5000 seems strange.

5000 in croker could space themselves 10 metres apart.

5000 in a marquee festival would be wedged in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement