Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Vegas or Spain probably, sorry ...

Probably not great destinations currently

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

easypazz wrote: »
    Just quoting Leo.

He said its the big day.

I wonder will kylie be performing? She can do a performance of " come out ye black and Tans" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0421/1132910-stability-programme-update-2020/

To the lockdowner Nazis on here please read this slowly and then stop embarrassing yourself on here

s

Grow up Lord Quackinton.
    The only one embarrassing themselves is you by describing people as nazis because they are civic minded and want to protect the vulnerable in society. If your expert advice was followed our HSE would now be overhelmed, and doctors and nurses would be deciding who live and dies. Thankfully your view is not shared by those who make the decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

folks please read the actual gov press release. It is quite specific

Published on Tuesday 21st April 2020

Government Statement on licensed events
    All Mass Gatherings have been restricted since the March 24th.

Further health advice will be updated in advance of May 5th.

However, there are a number of largescale future events which require licensing and the involvement of the HSE and Garda Síochána, and public consultation in that licensing process which fall to be determined in advance of that by local authorities.

While the issue of restrictions on future mass gatherings is a decision to be taken by the NPHET, in the case of these particular events, and taking account of the impacts on the integrity of the licensing process in the short-term due to restrictions on stakeholder involvement, local authorities have been advised by Government that event promoters should be informed that events requiring licences in excess of 5,000 will not be considered for the period up to the end of August.

This will be kept under review in line with NPHET advice on mass gatherings more generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    you already embarrassed yourself when you said nazis, get over yourself it's a world health crisis, stop being selfish

He is right though.

€23 billion, I don't see too many of the lock downers putting forward solutions to resolve that one.

Any further lockdown after May 5th would be far worse than what has gone on so far.

• Advertisement

D.Q wrote: »
    Probably not great destinations currently

Vegas already have plans in place for relaxing restrictions, plenty about in the online media.

Mid thirties and haven't been to a gp in over twenty years, I'll take my chances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0421/1132910-stability-programme-update-2020/

To the lockdowner Nazis on here please read this slowly and then stop embarrassing yourself on here

A deficit of 23 billion is the estimate - to hell with the sheep who have posted on here backing the dopes running this crisis
    But karma is a bitch and you’ll get yours

Endless lockdown isn’t a solution. Everyone with any sense knows that. We have however managed to put in a serious firebreak and we are in a position to begin returning to life as normal but it has to be done in a risk minimising way.

If we start with the big events and the high risk stuff we just undo all of the firebreak slog.

Until we’ve a vaccine or effective drugs this is going to have to be managed through social distancing and sensible precautions.

I’m not seeing many “lockdown Nazis” other than in debates online on the extremes.

Society wouldn’t work at all if this level of restriction went on indefinitely. It’s never been a proposed solution. This was ALWAYS a firebreak.

The less of the crazy US debate we import here the better. It needs to be an Irish solution to Irish needs and with the best science and use of our best strength - our pragmatism!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Vegas or Spain probably, sorry ...

Off you go then. I might organise a whip round to stump up the money for your airplane ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

A deficit of 23 billion is the estimate - to hell with the sheep who have posted on here backing the dopes running this crisis

Billions of our tax-euros has been spunked by Govt. to satisfy a vocal minority of social-media hysteria-merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Footfall in Dublin is up 40% compared to last week. The Big Day has been announced as March 5th. You'll never beat the Irish!

https://www.newstalk.com/news/footfall-dublin-1003440

• Advertisement

Off you go then. I might organise a whip round to stump up the money for your airplane ticket.

Thanks but no need , have saved a fortune being Locked up the last month ...

just posted the government statement - maybe read that.

Am I missing something about May 5th??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

folks please read the actual gov press release. It is quite specific

Published on Tuesday 21st April 2020

Government Statement on licensed events
    All Mass Gatherings have been restricted since the March 24th.

Further health advice will be updated in advance of May 5th.

However, there are a number of largescale future events which require licensing and the involvement of the HSE and Garda Síochána, and public consultation in that licensing process which fall to be determined in advance of that by local authorities.

While the issue of restrictions on future mass gatherings is a decision to be taken by the NPHET, in the case of these particular events, and taking account of the impacts on the integrity of the licensing process in the short-term due to restrictions on stakeholder involvement, local authorities have been advised by Government that event promoters should be informed that events requiring licences in excess of 5,000 will not be considered for the period up to the end of August.

This will be kept under review in line with NPHET advice on mass gatherings more generally.

That just means concerts and stadiums etc are out of the question for the summer. Anything 5k plus is gone.

Its confirmation of what everyone knew. It's up to NPHET as to what sort of gatherings would be allowed throughout the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Wibbs wrote: »
    Aye, I'll take the word of a libertarian, no to "big government", gun toting, anti vaxxer, anti gay, religious nutter Yank over... well, pretty much no one. Now that stuff might go over well with the slack jawed yokels in the square states praying for the rapture, while playing their banjos, whose exposure to education stopped at Sesame Street(though that's probably too commie for them), but to anyone with two functioning brain cells to rub together, not so much.

"Take the word"...could you be any more deeply confused?

There would never have been any scientific revolution to begin with if people held your distorted mentality. Issac Newton was a religious extremist and many others.

Imagine if Florentine scientists had to prove they were a Guelph or Ghibbeline before people would look at their findings.

But then you don't assess research yourself, you look to see which official or journalist you feel like trusting and take it from there.

Of course allow nphet, be responsible, trying to absolve themselves of criticism if things go bad...

Yeah thanks...nothing else mentioned yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Absolutely and funerals also.
    Yes. Funerals are lethal for transferring this virus, and to a vulnerable age group. Not happening for a long time in this country unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Government press release attached

thank you Stephen.
    That definitely rules out the big events due to licensing, but doesn't necessarily mean that events of less than 5000 people that don't need licensing will go ahead either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Everyone else but you is wrong quackyquack.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The wording on the press release could be taken as they won't consider looking at applications until August 31st and, after that, start taking a look. Which means you won't get anything on 1st of September because only then do they start to give it consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

GazzaL wrote: »
    Footfall in Dublin is up 40% compared to last week. The Big Day has been announced as March 5th. You'll never beat the Irish!

https://www.newstalk.com/news/footfall-dublin-1003440

You`re a tad confused there bud.`

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Any word on weddings?

They gona go ahead this summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was a lot more optimistic that I was previously after reading that. The fact that they're even giving consideration to running medium sized events over the summer is a lot more positive than the thought of barely being able to visit family members at Christmas, which is what a lot of the doomsayers have been suggesting.

I still don't think a gathering of 4,000 people has a hope in hell of going ahead but it's nice to think that we might be able to look forward to a gathering of a hundred or so.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    thank you Stephen.
    That definitely rules out the big events due to licensing, but doesn't necessarily mean that events of less than 5000 people that don't need licensing will go ahead either.

No not at all. Would give some hope to smaller events that they might happen later in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

5k is a lot. I would have expected at most 500

5 is too many

May 5th is still the big day. No sign of that being cancelled, which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

What happens if there is no treatment or vaccine?

What are world governments going to do?

ixoy wrote: »
    The wording on the press release could be taken as they won't consider looking at applications until August 31st and, after that, start taking a look. Which means you won't get anything on 1st of September because only then do they start to give it consideration.

To me Its worded that events requiring a licence wont be allowed until end of August at the moment. Basically if you've an event due before now and end of august you wont get a licence.

What happens if there is no treatment or vaccine?

What are world governments going to do?

Just let it rip, sooner rather than later.

Advise the vulnerable groups to cocoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

You know who the lockdown merchants are for the most part ? Either unemployed before this crisis and are used to endless handouts and existing or have fcuk all else going on in their lives and are enjoying this!

I'm not sure I would agree with you. Wouldn't you think the unemployed would be chomping at the bit to get you back to work to pay your taxes to ensure the handouts continue:confused:. Also, that schools would reopen so they can get rid of their 10 kids which are perhaps getting g in the way of the early off licence visits and an afternoon at the bookies???? That would seem more logical to me.

Perhaps the people you refer to as lock down merchants just want to see everything return to normal as much as you, perhaps even more so. They seem pretty sensible to me. Money talks but it don't sing and dance type of people. That's the way I see it anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement