Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What happens if there is no treatment or vaccine?

What are world governments going to do?

What do you think? Adjust to the new norm.

Try to advise social distancing, rapid testing and accurate contact tracing while trying to ensure that the required level of hospital beds are available for prompt treatment.

Just because they may eventually have to do that, doesn't mean that the stop trying to do anything right now and go that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

easypazz wrote: »
    He is right though.

€23 billion, I don't see too many of the lock downers putting forward solutions to resolve that one.

Any further lockdown after May 5th would be far worse than what has gone on so far.

Well no they won't have any solution because whenever someone suggests something here they immediately nitpick it and concoct every possible scenario where it can fail so what's the ****ing point. I understand the need for lockdown 100% but today's news has me ****ting bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Perhaps the people you refer to as lock down merchants just want to see everything return to normal as much as you, perhaps even more so. They seem pretty sensible to me. Money talks but it don't sing and dance type of people. That's the way I see it anyway.

Its about being responsible and not rushing things.

Naturally that is not liked by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

hmmm wrote: »
    Yes. Funerals are lethal for transferring this virus, and to a vulnerable age group. Not happening for a long time in this country unfortunately.

Depends on who you are
    some people are allowed to congregate at funerals without any repercussions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Phased opening in June most likely.

Leo said yesterday they are working on a plan, and we should see a roadmap next week hopefully.

I think any plan will have to be built around milestones rather than dates.

Unravelling any restrictions will have to be gradual, followed by a period of close monitoring to assess the effect and based on particular goals being met and continuing to be met.

The average viral replication rate will have to be maintained at, or below, 1. If it looks like it is going to go above 1 again restrictions will have to be reimplemented very quickly.

It's not going to be practical to be constantly varying restrictions as people wouldn't know what's what if that was happening. I think this will promote a cautious approach to lifting any particular restriction as there would need to be a reasonable certainty that it will not add too much to the rate of spread.

As things reopen, they're unlikely to open as they were before this for some time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Lackey wrote: »
    Depends on who you are

Indeed you are correct. But certain ethnicities are immune I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Just 388 new cases today, a bad day for the lockdown forever, no pubs until 2021 etc. etc. brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Just 388 new cases today, a bad day for the lockdown forever, no pubs until 2021 etc. etc. brigade.

It's time to play them off.

GazzaL wrote: »
    It's time to play them off.

Brilliant:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Lackey wrote: »
    Depends on who you are

Absolutely. Baton charges, tear gas, water cannons and possibly stronger measures should be used to disperse these groups.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Just let it rip, sooner rather than later.

Advise the vulnerable groups to cocoon prepare to R.I.P. sooner rather than later.

This is really what you intended to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Who mentioned a lock down forever?

Anyone?

:confused:

Many of the restrictions will be with us for a very long time to come. To paraphrase, this is the new normal for this year and probably in to next year as well.

If you want to be in denial about that then more power to you.

The rest of us just accept it and work with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Numbers are slightly better today

Let's hope they can go on a downward trend before 5th of May

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Mother of God, I just read Pascal D'Rascals statement. We are in a world of hurt as a country for at least 5-10 years economically. I knew it would be bad but those estimates are eye watering. They better have a seriously good economic recovery plan in place or we'll be back to 1980's level of taxation and unemployment.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Anyone?

Many of the restrictions will be with us for a very long time to come. To paraphrase, this is the new normal for this year and probably in to next year as well.

Nobody is in denial, everyone knows there's going to be measures in place for the rest of the year. I think the poster is talking about some posters who want life to stall until theres a vaccine and there is a few of those.

Anyone?

To be fair, plenty have been saying it across several threads. One lad thinks schools won’t open until September 2021.

We need to get back to our way of life. Cocoon the elders.

There’s already an avalanche of issues building because of how long we’ve been locked down.

Society is not built to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JRant wrote: »
    Mother of God, I just read Pascal D'Rascals statement. We are in a world of hurt as a country for at least 5-10 years economically. I knew it would be bad but those estimates are eye watering. They better have a seriously good economic recovery plan in place or we'll be back to 1980's level of taxation and unemployment.

Well to be fair they did say that should conditions allow we're quite well placed to bounce back. It's going to be bad but its completely different to a normal recession

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Anyone?

Looking at the estimates released today the restrictions will have to end by the beginning of Q3 or we are in serious trouble.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

folks - I have been following this thread with interest but I am confused.

What the hell is happening on May 5th. Have I missed something. Has something been announced

• Advertisement

JRant wrote: »
    There’s already an avalanche of issues building because of how long we’ve been locked down.

Which is why we need to get back operating asap.

Construction in May, Leisure in June,

Take as many precautions as possible, testing, distancing, cocooning etc.

Its not going to make much odds if school open before or after the summer at this point.

What the hell is happening on May 5th. Have I missed something. Has something been announced

Its been discussed several times, surprised you missed.

May 5th is "the big day"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Ireland has now surpassed Switzerland with number of cases per million
    We passed Italy and Switzerland in just 3 days

1. Spain
    2. Belgium
    3. Ireland
    4. Switzerland
    5. Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

The current lockdown was extended until May 5th it will either be extended or some restrictions will be lifted.

Anyone?

Exactly, some people are taking the restrictions very personally, as if anyone was enjoying them. Given we are one of the most infected countries in Europe at the moment, the sooner we lift the restriction the sooner we will have to reintroduce them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Exactly, some people are taking the restrictions very personally, as if anyone was enjoying them. Given we are one of the most infected countries in Europe at the moment, the sooner we lift the restriction the sooner we will have to reintroduce them

It's understandable, people's jobs are at risk and they are worried.

That's different to those who seem to believe May 5th will be some cosmic event.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

The 5th May will come and go, nothing will change except for a tightening of the restrictions.

Mic 1972 wrote: »

Rubbish, most of our cases are now classed as "recovered" so the number of active infections is dwindling.

People need to accept that this is coming under control, rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

To be fair, plenty have been saying it across several threads. One lad thinks schools won’t open until September 2021.

We need to get back to our way of life. Cocoon the elders.

I agree with most of your post but not the bit about cocooning the old people. it should be up to them to cocoon if they like but I would be very much against any laws which enforce cocooning on them.

• Advertisement

It's understandable, people's jobs are at risk and they are worried.

That's different to those who seem to believe May 5th will be some cosmic event.

We are all worried, as of this month my monthly income is half of what it was but I'd rather be safe than sorry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement