Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

folks - I have been following this thread with interest but I am confused.

What the hell is happening on May 5th. Have I missed something. Has something been announced

Nothing is happening. One poster thinks it's Xmas part 2 for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

hmmm wrote: »

It’s not that simple. Children will go to daycare/ primary in 2 groups, each for half of the week. We still have to work from home where possible. Outdoor sports activities for under 12s will also be allowed, for over 12s allowed with distancing measures in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

BanditLuke wrote: »

ha ha thanks. I am working from home so this is the most confusing thread I have ever encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Well technically you don't know that yet. Current measures are in place until May the 5th. They may be relaxed somewhat. Then again they may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Did you read the article I linked
    Have you read Goldman Sachs latest report
    Have you read about what is happening oil
    what is going to happen our economy will be the biggest economic shock since records began
    Bigger than 2008 and 2008 saw Lehman’s brothers collapse and that alone nearly collapsed everything

I get it some people think this is good and we can remake our economies to be more fairer and just which is the Biggest load of BS and these people are so gullible
    All that happens in depressions are the divide between the haves and have nots gets bigger

If we are running a large deficit then the state has 2 choices tax or cuts
    This time unlike 2008 the state will have to introduce huge cuts aswell as increasing taxes

That means the pension and carers and jobseekers and disability will need cutting
    The deficit will be so large we will have no choice
    I expect public expenditure on council housing and rent allowance to be slashed
    Working people will not accept taxes this time and no cuts to the dole
    There will be war if that happened

And you forget about Germany bailing us out - if anything what is ahead of us could see the break up of the European Union
    Cast your minds back to 2008 and the years that followed and how that period nearly ended Europe Union - this is considerably worse and while people will Argue there is no banking crisis this time, they are wrong because the housing market is going to collapse
    Pay cuts will come and extra taxes will come and people will stop paying their mortgages and will be swimming in negative equity

You say we have put in a serious firebreak and pragmatism is needed and less of the crazy US debate
    You have it wrong - what is needed is for people like you who agree with the current crisis plan to wake the **** up

I think you need to talk to someone. Does your employer have an EAP? They provide phone services so you could speak with someone. Having this level of paranoia, delusion and hysteria is unhealthy.
    You need to take care of yourself and I don’t think boards is the ideal place to do that.

• Advertisement

VonLuck wrote: »
    Well technically you don't know that yet. Current measures are in place until May the 5th. They may be relaxed somewhat. Then again they may not.

Yes agree some relaxation hopefully. I kept reading May 5th as some major day for something so I though something was announced.

It reads like people are in prison or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Yes agree some relaxation hopefully. I kept reading May 5th as some major day for something so I though something was announced.

well, certainly not prison - nevertheless a big change in the everyday life of many of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

And just when we're bouncing back Brexit will kick us squarely in the balls.

Thats it, chin up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What do those in the traps really want?

Silly now if they think everything will re open and life will go on as before on May 6th. But that is youth for ya, they are invincible.

It will be slow and measured. Get used to it.

Youth of today have never had to deal with this, good feckkin lesson. IMV.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    well, certainly not prison - nevertheless a big change in the everyday life of many of us.

of course I am feeling it myself - I never in my life wanted to go home so badly but cant.

But thankfully I am healthy and am able to support my local business and will continue to do so while I can.

I truly do admire the businesses that have diversified though. Amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Youth of today have never had to deal with this, good feckkin lesson. IMV.

Neither did anyone under the age of 102

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Lillyfae wrote: »
    It’s not that simple. Children will go to daycare/ primary in 2 groups, each for half of the week. We still have to work from home where possible. Outdoor sports activities for under 12s will also be allowed, for over 12s allowed with distancing measures in place.

Similar as Germany. Classes split, no bigger than 15, half go on Mon/Wed/Fri, other half Tue/Thu/Sat. Staggered breaks, masks are mandatory for children over 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

To be fair I think a lot of it comes from Leo Varadkar who referenced May 5th as a big day if he like

“What we’re working on at the moment is a plan that will be ready by the end of April-early May in advance of the May 5th big day if you like. And what we hope to set out is a step-wise plan which indicates how we would reopen the country in different steps and what are the criteria that would have to be met to move from one stage to the next.”

Irish Times

It’s obvious we are probably easing restrictions unless the sh1t hits the fan over the next 2 weeks but as to what those easing will be is pure speculation.

One group thinks this is a bad idea and we are all going to die, the other group thinks this is great news and time to party. They then pretty much spend most of the thread trying to “trigger” the other group which is pretty much where the thread has gone whereas the vast majority of people just want to discuss the actual possible restrictions being eased etc and what they means going forward whilst acknowledging the possible issues on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Youth of today have never had to deal with this

Neither has anyone else. During the 1957 pandemic which killed 2 million people the extent of the closures in this country was the shuttering of 17 schools in South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

jester77 wrote: »
    Similar as Germany. Classes split, no bigger than 15, half go on Mon/Wed/Fri, other half Tue/Thu/Sat. Staggered breaks, masks are mandatory for children over 4.

Saturdays, that would be some craic trying to implement here :)

The comrades in the trade unions would explode at the mere mention of it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

There are more than one who have this notion in their heads.

Neither did anyone under the age of 102

Time to mature up and forget about pubs concerts gigs and the like.

Meeting with family and friends with distancing would be so great now. That's what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

There are more than one who have this notion in their heads.

Leave them to it. Pointless at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Meeting with family and friends with distancing would be so great now. That's what I want.

I think this is what most of us want!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

100%

Only so long you can go without seeing friends, family, those in relationships not living together etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Details haven’t been ironed out here yet, teachers etc found out when we did so they’ve 3 weeks to voice any concerns. The May holiday falls next week for 2 weeks anyway.

Do you mean masks for adults working with children over 4 or for the children? I don’t see how that would be feasible...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Galway races plan to go ahead behind closed doors

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Mature up?

Young people might like to form families and they can't do that if they can't meet someone. It isn't as immature as it might seem on reflection. There are women whose biological clock is ticking for one thing.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    100%

Only so long you can go without seeing friends, family, those in relationships not living together etc

Indeed, that is what is important at the end of the day, and for me it is painful.

Pubs and all that craic is not on my radar, but I want to see my family. But will observe the rules for the moment tough as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Details haven’t been ironed out here yet, teachers etc found out when we did so they’ve 3 weeks to voice any concerns. The May holiday falls next week for 2 weeks anyway.

Do you mean masks for adults working with children over 4 or for the children? I don’t see how that would be feasible...

For everyone over 4 years old, will be mandatory from next Monday when in enclosed places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    id like to see how the government word this in 2 weeks time,every businesses owner in the country is in a greyhound trap waiting for it to open, if the government leave this open to interpretation the hare will let loose then May 5th everything will be open, bar Pubs,Hotels,Cinema.

That simply won’t happen, if there is any easement of restrictions is going be low risk first and slow stages so people’s behaviour can monitored. Opening pubs/Bars they know everyone is going get leathered and any social distancing is gone be forgot about after the 2nd Pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

For everyone over 4 years old, will be mandatory from next Monday when in enclosed places.

Source?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

ZX7R wrote: »
    Galway races plan to go ahead behind closed doors

Not surprised about this. Race meetings were still going ahead right up to the time when the current restrictions were implemented after virtually all other sport had stopped activities of their own accord. The racing authorities seem to consider themselves as more important than other sporting bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Stark wrote: »
    Source?

Think they're referring to Germany in case you were thinking Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement