Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

ITman88 wrote: »
    The economy from a bedroom critic.

People aren’t spending and it is a massive problem, and when this is over consumer confidence is on the floor for purchases bar essentials.

There is 2 arguments taking place in this thread and the reason the economic argument will continue is because of posts like above, completely dismissing the catastrophic effects we will face into with an extended lockdown.

The state will not get the revenue back directly, people are not spending, and it will take considerable time to instill consumer confidence.

Who are you aiming that post at? If you want to have a go at me have the balls to quote me directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Isnt there another thread for the economic side of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

MadYaker wrote: »
    Isnt there another thread for the economic side of it?

There was but they get taken over buy Florence Nightingale types quoting death figures of 100k plus in this country if we attempt to relax the restrictions anytime in the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

They backtracked because they realised it would result in an enormous spike of deaths beyond what the health systems can cope with. Herd immunity is still the 'end goal'. Most people WILL get this virus at one stage or another. The goal isn't to stop most people getting it, it's to stagger the cases in a way the system can cope.

Link me to one credible source that says herd immunity is the end goal.

Yakult wrote: »
    Theres your problem. Twitter. It's ****e during the best of times. Avoid like the plague.

Pun intended?

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote: »

You'll be waiting on that one and it appears you don't have to back up what you say round here either:pac:

ITman88 wrote: »
    There was but they get taken over buy Florence Nightingale types quoting death figures of 100k plus in this country if we attempt to relax the restrictions anytime in the next few months

You're typing that from your bedroom aren't you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No matter what decision you take you’re sacrificing one group of people for another. All covid related deaths are deaths from natural causes. It is totally unnatural to force people to stay at home and stop working. This is the greatest act of self harm ever committed by a people.

People staying at home is not the same as people dying, unless you are a snowflake of course.

Unlike Winston Smith in 1984 I have been a good citizen and not left the house since last Friday when the lock down was announced.

Working from home and sporting a now epic mane of a pandemic beard.

How have the Federales been enforcing the lock down in Dublin city centre?

Is there check points and the goon squad dragging people of buses?

There are checkpoints close to where I live, and more Gardaí patrolling on foot than usual.

Most people are complying voluntarily so there hasn’t been any need for them to be heavy handed. Though I am delighted to see that judges have denied bail to scumbags who spat at and coughed on guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I was just asking no need to get all defensive over it.

Your linking to a jim corr tweet, people are naturally gonna assume a certain conspiracy theorist intent from your question and react accordingly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

more stricter restrictions tba tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Loads out today.

Complacency has set in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

fryup wrote: »

Where you seeing that? I think all thats new will be the gardai given more powers for enforcing the current ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's not really a lockdown, just walked to shops and there are people and traffic everywhere, apart from the strange set up for queueing for supermarket etc you wouldn't know there's a lockdown going on.
    You can still go for a walk and spend time outside so I don't really know why people are talking about cracking up being stuck at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Its inevitable and completely necessary for restrictions to go continue after the initial two weeks.. We can't be lackadaisical about this. We need to be strong and endure short-term pain for long-term gain.

We are not in this by ourselves and by that I mean - us , along with UK , Italy , Spain and the rest of the world are in in together and we will all come out if it together. . . The reality is we can't take the foot off the gas and go back to normal if our UK neighbors are still reporting record breaking cases and deaths each week.

If we ease off restrictions because people can't handle the lockdown , it will only be a matter of time before we end back up where we started. And that means the lockdown goes on for longer.

Nial Boylan was enthusiastic about the easing off on restrictions live on air this morning. The guy actually claimed we are in a good place. That may be true relative to Italy or the UK , but we are not in a good place and won't be until days /even weeks pass without new cases.

The man is preaching false hope live on air and its dangerous imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

BruteStock wrote: »
    I
    Nial Boylan was enthusiastic about the easing off on restrictions live on air this morning. The guy actually claimed we are in a good place. That may be true relative to Italy or the UK , but we are not in a good place and won't be until days /even weeks pass without new cases.

Plus the limitations on our testing mean we don't really know what kind of place we're in...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

fryup wrote: »

I'd say it's the new powers of arrest for the Garda , they are law from today
    And or an extension of current restrictions till the 26th of April

Its inevitable and completely necessary for restrictions to go continue after the initial two weeks.. We can't be lackadaisical about this. We need to be strong and endure short-term pain for long-term gain.

We are not in this by ourselves and by that I mean - us , along with UK , Italy , Spain and the rest of the world are in in together and we will all come out if it together. . . The reality is we can't take the foot off the gas and go back to normal if our UK neighbors are still reporting record breaking cases and deaths each week.

If we ease off restrictions because people can't handle the lockdown , it will only be a matter of time before we end back up where we started. And that means the lockdown goes on for longer.

He's an absolute clown that fella.

You're right what we need is a bit of discipline, and stick with the plan. The snowflakes on here and elsewhere need to stop fretting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

TheCitizen wrote: »
    He's an absolute clown that fella.

You're right what we need is a bit of discipline, and stick with the plan. The snowflakes on here and elsewhere need to stop fretting.

What’s the plan?

Niall Boylan is as authoritative as a fart in the wind. His show is a trivial diversion, not to be taken seriously.

• Advertisement

citysights wrote: »
    What’s the plan?

What's the plan? Where have you been hiding, have you been holed up in a bunker for the last few weeks? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What's the plan? Where have you been hiding, have you been holed up in a bunker for the last few weeks? :pac:

Must have been please tell more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

KiKi III wrote: »

Herd immunity is the only goal here.

Vaccines immunise people before they get sick.
    Faster treatments immunise people, by allowing them to fight it off.

Once you get to that magical 80% figure, it will die out itself.

citysights wrote: »
    Must have been please tell more

Google is your friend, but not too much mind, take a break every now and then for a boxset or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Id would be happy to see current restrictions in place until at least after the May bank holiday. And im saying that as someone who had to postpone a wedding.will see a spike in cases next week due to addition of the german lab helping to clear the back log.
    The only school is see happening this side of sept is the leaving cert. We really need to get the carehome culsters under control 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭facehugger99

hmmm wrote: »
    Full lockdown now!!!! :rolleyes:

I see the Twitter mob have now decided that us all wearing masks is the solution. First it was Paddy's day cancellations was the answer, then shutting the pubs, then stopping everyone going for a walk, now it's masks. It's exhausting. Another week of this and they'll have us all welded into our houses.

I think we still don't understand enough as to how the virus is spread to really bring in much lifting of restrictions. Unfortunately, because the current restrictions are a blind man wielding a sledgehammer to squash a nut.

I had noticed over in the main thread how it's become the issue du jour among Johnny WhatsApp and Mary Facebook.

I await with interest the what next week's hot topic will be.

Herd immunity is the only goal here.

Vaccines immunise people before they get sick.
    Faster treatments immunise people, by allowing them to fight it off.

Once you get to that magical 80% figure, it will die out itself.

Of course that's the ultimate goal but as was said originally in criticism of that eejit Boris Johnson; herd immunity only works when you've got your vaccine or at least your effective treatments in place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

IAMAMORON wrote: »

It is also worth noting that all the payments will eventually arrive back to the state via taxation. 23% in VAT for starters. A certain could theoretically be saved, but whilst this is unlikely, it will eventually be spent.
    So of the actual 8 billion Pascal O'Donoghue quoted the state will get back 23 % immediately, about 2 billion. The rest gets spent on retail, all this money is also subject to tax … etc etc.

The supermarkets are making a tonne of money right now, they have never been busier. Think of all the times you might go for a meal or have a pint etc or even fast food, you are now having to do that yourself. The supermarkets are creaming it.

Most food is 0% VAT and about 50% of the supermarket business is foreign owned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

It's not really a lockdown, just walked to shops and there are people and traffic everywhere, apart from the strange set up for queueing for supermarket etc you wouldn't know there's a lockdown going on.
    You can still go for a walk and spend time outside so I don't really know why people are talking about cracking up being stuck at home.

Some people actually enjoy social interaction, you know face to face? Of course it's going to be a shock to the system if you are used to working in large office with friends, visiting family regularly etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Id would be happy to see current restrictions in place until at least after the May bank holiday. And im saying that as someone who had to postpone a wedding.will see a spike in cases next week due to addition of the german lab helping to clear the back log.
    The only school is see happening this side of sept is the leaving cert. We really need to get the carehome culsters under control 1st

Positive tests are irrelevant.

ICU dependancy is the concern.

The purpose of restrictions is to prevent many patients requiring ICU at the same time.

The purpose of restrictions is not to continue testing until we have 0 cases. That will never happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement