Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

What are you talking about? Young people should act as if they care about society - at some level. I mean they are virtue signalling on line all the time but in practice they don't care about spreading a deadly virus?

Talking about virtue signalling, eh?

The world doesn't need to change, we need to adapt to the higher levels of death. A fitter and healthier population will prevent this being a bigger population than it needs to be. Instead if mandatory lovkdowns, let's try mandatory vegetable eating, mandatory sugarless diets, mandatory maximum alcohol consumption, add cigarettes to the banned substances list. Let's start there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

currently open

restaurants - doing delivery or collection
    coffee shops - collection
    hardware stores/diy stores
    builder suppliers
    Pubs - open for delivery/collection of alcohol and food. A fair few
    all takeaways - delivery only with most
    butchers
    bakeries
    bookshops - delivery only
    retail shops are online - eg dunnes stores
    sports shops - open online

Online doesn't count tbh

All the rest bar pubs are allowed, if pubs are doing takeaway that's probably allowed too

currently open

restaurants - doing delivery or collection
    coffee shops - collection
    hardware stores/diy stores
    builder suppliers
    Pubs - open for delivery/collection of alcohol and food. A fair few
    all takeaways - delivery only with most
    butchers
    bakeries
    bookshops - delivery only
    retail shops are online - eg dunnes stores
    sports shops - open online

I will think of more.

not including supermarkets/chemists/newsagents etc

Ultimately the only things are closed are those that provide activities that distract us from the realisation that we are just killing time till we die. We just need to think of better ways to do that and we will be grand... or go back to that way of life and deal with the death.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

Ultimately the only things are closed are those that provide activities that distract us from the realisation that we are just killing time till we die. We just need to think of better ways to do that and we will be grand... or go back to that way of life and deal with the death.

see I agree

everything we need we can still great and it is amazing how businesses adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Stheno wrote: »
    What do you have open other than supermarkets/food shops, petrol stations and the odd takeaway?

In Sligo there is an Outdoor shop that is open for clothes fittings, and you have to knock on the door or phone the number on the door (also on their facebook page where they say appointments to try on garments etc) are available, with their phone number. Social distancing measures are in force once inside.

I wonder will many more shops go like that in the next week or 10 days, before May 5th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The world doesn't need to change, we need to adapt to the higher levels of death. A fitter and healthier population will prevent this being a bigger population than it needs to be. Instead if mandatory lovkdowns, let's try mandatory vegetable eating, mandatory sugarless diets, mandatory maximum alcohol consumption, add cigarettes to the banned substances list. Let's start there.

Why not go the whole hog and set up concentration camps. Keep the population heathy and fit.

Online doesn't count tbh

All the rest bar pubs are allowed, if pubs are doing takeaway that's probably allowed too

why doesnt online count - some pubs for example are still doing business which is great.

Pubs will now deliver to your home - support them

Some great local breweries out there

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

last question - would anyone have an example of whats not open outside Dublin but is in Dublin

Honestly surprised reading this thread. So much open in Dublin I am lucky

my own interest really

Pubs/hairdresser/barbers/salons not included

Everything kinda, can get a new suit & shoes, tin of paint, PlayStation, board games, trampoline, mobile phone. Besides the pubs, sit down restraunts and bookies life is normal. Probably clocked up 200km in the car today didn't meet any checkpoints.
    Not a Chinese open for miles though. Did notice a lot more people in masks today, passed one Chinese girl in the street, she was fully togged out in a plastic suit, mask, glasses and gloves doing some shopping. That rattled me a tiny bit she was obviously way more worried than anyone else around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

does any of you feel like me and want to get the virus? get it out of the way, then at least you can say you have had it and are now likely immune.

well I am one of those mask wearing people - I am protecting others though and myself.

Personally I am delighted local businesses are still able to trade

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Why not go the whole hog and set up concentration camps. Keep the population heathy and fit.

Someone doesn't like broccoli, it seems.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Everything kinda, can get a new suit & shoes, tin of paint, PlayStation, board games, trampoline, mobile phone. Besides the pubs, sit down restraunts and bookies life is normal. Probably clocked up 200km in the car today didn't meet any checkpoints.
    Not a Chinese open for miles though. Did notice a lot more people in masks today, passed one Chinese girl in the street, she was fully togged out in a plastic suit, mask, glasses and gloves doing some shopping. That rattled me a tiny bit she was obviously way more worried than anyone else around.

I drove 2km to the supermarket this evening and went through 2 checkpoints

see I agree

everything we need we can still great and it is amazing how businesses adapt.

Well quite, if your comfortable killing time till you die in front of your TV, go for it, theres a point at which entertainment runs as out as there is no inspiration, so see how long it lasts till you're begging to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

pgj2015 wrote: »
    does any of you feel like me and want to get the virus? get it out of the way, then at least you can say you have had it and are now likely immune.

No definitely, definitely not. I'd like to get a test and be told I had it without severe symptoms and am over it. But definitely wouldn't wish it on myself for the sake of getting it out of the way.

I drove 2km to the supermarket this evening and went through 2 checkpoints

Ouch. City?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Rainmann

Do people think that with the ease of restrictions meeting someone outside of your home will be 'allowed' or no? Like if I had a friend or two over my house for a BBQ and we social distanced. Would make this a lot more bearable :pac:

No. I'd rather not get it ever, why go through that. I'm comfortable with the thought that I or others might get it to return to a better life, though.

Well quite, if your comfortable killing time till you die in front of your TV, go for it, theres a point at which entertainment runs as out as there is no inspiration, so see how long it lasts till you're begging to get out.

I dont think I said that. My point is businesses are still trading which is admirable

I personally am looking forwarding to seeing my family and friends again and having the craic

Not sure what your point is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

No. I'd rather not get it ever, why go through that. I'm comfortable with the thought that I or others might get it to return to a better life, though.

some people get it and have no symptoms. if you are young and healthy you havent a lot to fear from getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

No. I’ve no underlying health issues and am relatively fit, youngish and healthy but even so, I’ve no way of predicting how my body will react to this. So I’m going to do my best to try and avoid catching it for as long as I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There's no way to kick start the economy and begin easing restrictions until some clarity is given on creches and schools. Opening them for one day a week until September is just not going to cut it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Rainmann wrote: »
    Do people think that with the ease of restrictions meeting someone outside of your home will be 'allowed' or no? Like if I had a friend or two over my house for a BBQ and we social distanced. Would make this a lot more bearable :pac:

You can do that now, just don't let paddygreen see you through his top window.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

By the time the gadflies are swarming in June, I think people will be appreciating a BBQ or 2

Just mark out 2m squares in tour garden and go for it. Put them in a hazmat suit as they enter and exit your home. Disinfect all cutlery plates and glasses too. Dont share any food from your plate. Dont 'cheers'. Dont let your neighbours see you. Probably better not to laugh too, aerosols.

JRant wrote: »
    There's no way to kick start the economy and begin easing restrictions until some clarity is given on creches and schools. Opening them for one day a week until September is just not going to cut it.

I'm more muddled about the creches now after listening to Leo, think he has a problem with the healthcare workers demanding the creche staff and childminders go to their houses. Not sure how he's going to figure that one out.

Ouch. City?

Yep North County Dublin want to know where you live and where you're going havent had any hassle in fairness

Loads of police on the beat even in my local area too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I reckon need to watch this film - I think its right up your street tbh ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan%27s_Run_(film)

The story "depicts a utopian future society on the surface, revealed as a dystopia where the population and the consumption of resources are maintained in equilibrium by killing everyone who reaches the age of thirty. 

That and the evident gra for wanting to live in a totalitarian state. "Higher levels of death "? How about when the virus mutates and starts killing people in their twenties and younger - would you be still happy with your vision of utopia then or is it just the old fogies that you dont give a damn about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I'd be first in line. 2 weeks isolation catching up on Netflix and all and be done with it. Sounds good to me.

I dont think I said that. My point is businesses are still trading which is admirable

I personally am looking forwarding to seeing my family and friends again and having the craic

Not sure what your point is

Maybe I misunderstood. I am saying that this method if killing time till we die is not great, social interaction, sports, music, etc are far better ways of doing that and if the opportunity cost is slightly more death, than I think we need to get used to that.

• Advertisement

some people get it and have no symptoms. if you are young and healthy you havent a lot to fear from getting it.

If your old and healthy, probably not much to fear either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement