Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

fr336 wrote: »
    3 and a half weeks!!

Good luck with the economy if a lockdown is lifted too soon and / or not applied soon enough. Economies don't do great when thousands of their citizens are dying every day.

But still, you know best....just like you probably did before the current lockdown...

It’s ending- deal with it. Continue your own personal Lockdown if you like. Let the rest of us move on for the love of God.
    Early March in various forms this has been going on since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

3 and a half weeks!!

Good luck with the economy if a lockdown is lifted too soon and / or not applied soon enough. Economies don't do great when thousands of their citizens are dying every day.

But still, you know best....just like you probably did before the current lockdown...

Some people never learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

i think everyone will though wont they...weirdly I am also looking forward to getting back to the office.

Likewise in a weird way I'm looking forward to getting back into the office. I think its more from a structure point of view than anything else, finding my work pattern all over the place with wfh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

road_high wrote: »
    Cuts both ways im afraid. And no I’ll never agree with a load of old Marxist brain washed twaddle so long as we are still allowed open discussion. Perhaps you’d like to remove that also?

Yep. Just standard copy paste welfare/dole rhetoric now. Ah it was a fun day watching your point completely disolve into the usual.

Wonder what fun this thread will have tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 allio

Did I say this summer ? I'm not expecting to go anywhere this summer. I'm talking next year.

I'll probably take a week somewhere in Ireland on the basis the hospitality sector is back up an running.

sorry didn't mean that the way it came out. was supposed to be more smiley faced. Chomping at the bit to get the tent out this summer. Maybe grab the nieces and nephews and brother that I don't spend half enough time with and introduce them to the joys of camping on the atlantic coast.

That and garden parties. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Well let us do we want to do and you can what you want to do. And we can mind eachothers business. That’s the beauty for me of a free society. Ok?

Doesn't seem that free when people like you are dictating that restrictions intended to protect people's lives (not least those in the health service, and not overwhelming said health service) should be lifted asap because you know, people gotta life their lives man gotta get back to the shops and McDonalds etc.

This is a once in a life pandemic. I'm 31, I've had 31 years to live life to the full. No wars here. No pandemics. No huge disasters. I'll hopefully have at least another 31 years to live life to the full. But let's start crying after 3 and a half weeks of staying at home with the family, able to connect with friends via sophisticated technology and able to go out for lovely walks / jogs with mentioned family and probably get away with a short drive too.

Sigh...

The poster is right though and is making a really valid point. You might take it on board.

Well seen as they don’t know from Adam assuming I spend all my time shopping or in the pub is a tad presumptive. So no they’re not making a valid point at all, they are just sounding rather cynical and bitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

I hear North Korea is a great spot and do great aul lockdowns. Sounds like you’d fit right in

There's a global pandemic and you think we can go back to normal? We only stopped the spread because the majority of people listened and stay in home .

Cheltenham prove you can't trust other people with your health. It just took a few people travelling to Italy and coming back home to start all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

All you eejits convinced the restrictions are going to be lifted soon, bad news these restrictions are here til at least end of June. Nothing but selfishness to wish for anything else. think about people other than your selves and who you are going to infect whilst rushing back to a society that wont be there for much longer if we get this wrong.

allio wrote: »
    sorry didn't mean that the way it came out. was supposed to be more smiley faced. Chomping at the bit to get the tent out this summer. Maybe grab the nieces and nephews and brother that I don't spend half enough time with and introduce them to the joys of camping on the atlantic coast.

That and garden parties. :)
    No worries,

First thing first I'll be heading straight to the family I've not been able to see and then yeah like yourself just spend more time with them and doing small things like camping.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yep. Just standard copy paste welfare/dole rhetoric now. Ah it was a fun day watching your point completely disolve into the usual.

Wonder what fun this thread will have tomorrow!

Not really. People like you are just so fixated on the issue and your own opinion that the thought of it slipping away is too much to bear.
    Most of us will be moving on with life, you’ll no doubt still be here daily looking for your “I told you so” moment for a few months to come yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

Likewise in a weird way I'm looking forward to getting back into the office. I think its more from a structure point of view than anything else, finding my work pattern all over the place with wfh.

ah see I agree. I dont think we will be reopening on the 5th but I have discovered working from home is not for me. Even for one day a week would be super to start

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

All you eejits convinced the restrictions are going to be lifted soon, bad news these restrictions are here til at least end of June. Nothing but selfishness to wish for anything else. think about people other than your selves and who you are going to infect whilst rushing back to a society that wont be there for much longer if we get this wrong.

Rubbish.

End of June? Says who? Nobody.

End of June...another hunch or based on anything in particular? Why not the end of July? “To be safe”.

Not really. People like you are just so fixated on the issue and your own opinion that the thought of it slipping away is too much to bear.
    Most of us will be moving on with life, you’ll no doubt still be here daily looking for your “I told you so” moment for a few months to come yet.

Nah. I'll just be laughing at the hysteric tears of the regulars who blame everything on those on the dole/welfare. Even in a fùcking pandemic its the dole/welfare crowd to blame. If you dont agree with me you must be on the dole etc.

Its the most amusing part of boards when the desperation on a thread reaches the blame welfare point.

I'm expecting that Cash woman to be referenced soon by you.

Hes making a point and everyone is entitled to but it's a generalisation.
    Each to their own but it's what I'll be doing anyway

Appologies if it sounded like I was mindlessly generalising. I'm just angry about the general mood, on several fronts - one of these is ironically if this "first" lockdown isn't handled properly, then a second wave could result in the worst of all worlds - more deaths, and a much longer lockdown next time, perhaps with even bigger restrictions. Maybe I'm looking at this too much from a UK perspective given it's where I am but I'm sure it applies to a smaller degree to Ireland too. My personal instinct, maybe it's wrong, is to nip this crap in the bud now so that we can get FULLY back to normal later in the year (June/July/August) and ensure Corona isn't a thing in 2021. Perhaps wishful thinking, but the world isn't perfect never has been. We in the west are lucky to have been protected from this reality for a long long time.

ah see I agree. I dont think we will be reopening on the 5th but I have discovered working from home is not for me. Even for one day a week would be super to start

No we wont be reopening on the 5th and I'm not one of these that thinks things will all of a sudden start to reopen they wont, it'll be phased and gradual over a good number of months.

I think where I work we would be able to social distance pretty well, it's a large office in Dublin, staggered start times through most of the business anyway, everyone has their own desk space. We'll see but I'd like to hope sometime in June maybe

You are one selfish person. Its all ME ME and ME. Not about the poor vulnerable people who will die if the virus spreads to them. The old and vulnerable that is.

I have news for you the restrictions are here for a long time. Be glad those restrictions are there to prevent anything bad happening to the lives of your loved ones.

No we wont be reopening on the 5th and I'm not one of these that thinks things will all of a sudden start to reopen they wont, it'll be phased and gradual over a good number of months.

I think where I work we would be able to social distance pretty well, it's a large office in Dublin, staggered start times through most of the business anyway, everyone has their own desk space. We'll see but I'd like to hope sometime in June maybe

Unfortunately for Road_high this is likely. Saw on twitter that it will be a phased lifting and will only move onto the next phase when specific criteria is met, and if things go the other way then we will step back a phase and evaluate the criteria before progressing again.

The Government aren't in for a mindless rush of this thankfully.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Rubbish.

End of June? Says who? Nobody.

What would you know?

• Advertisement

That sounds sensible. I work in a university so not sure to be honest. I would feel better getting back in the office - return to some normality you know.

Stagger everything though I agree.

also personally I feel super nervous in crowds at the moment (ie. supermarket) as I have an underlying condition. Would like to get rid of that. Never so conscious of people as i am at the moment

What would you know?

More than you do clearly.

More than you do clearly.

I don't think so. You point doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

3 and a half weeks!!

My thinking too...

Also my family and friends, I want them ALL to be getting out of this alive, as well as myself of course. There is not one single persons life who I see as disposable in order to get the economy going... and what those who want restrictions lifted early are saying is that they will and ARE content for a few to die, many even as long as corporations are continuing to be profitable and normal life acquired again. Welcome to Ireland 2020.... not exactly the spirt of 1916, 104 years and here is where we are at, fûck... Dev, Collins, Griffith, Pearce, Connolly, Clarke, McDiarmada... died and fought for freedom, so people could live, not make shît loads of cash for others, international corporations and fûckin die in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Bit of a strawman arg, there.

"When" the virus mutates?

Sounds like he gets his knowledge on the whole situation from reading Stephen Kings the stand. Great book but that mutate line from him is bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

I work in childcare and pretty nervous about them opening again and when 😣

I don't think so. You point doesn't make sense.

Which point would that be? The guy said “end of June”. He may as well have said end of next week for all the validity that statement had. So I correctly said that’s “rubbish”. A phased rollback of restrictions is beginning on May 5th.

Is that a little clearer for you now?

youandme13 wrote: »
    I work in childcare and pretty nervous about them opening again and when ��

I think everyone is...including government. I agree with the previous poster. You cant mess with this stuff ...slowly and surely. I would hate to think a colleague, friend, family member, student became unwell because I was acting the maggot.

Strumms wrote: »
    My thinking too...

Also my family and friends, I want them ALL to be getting out of this alive, as well as myself of course. There is not one single persons life who I see as disposable in order to get the economy going... and what those who want restrictions lifted early are saying is that they will and ARE content for a few to die, many even as long as corporations are continuing to be profitable and normal life acquired again. Welcome to Ireland 2020.... not exactly the spirt of 1916, 104 years and here is where we are at, fûck... Dev, Collins, Griffith, Pearce, Connolly, Clarke, McDiarmada... died and fought for freedom, so people could live, not make shît loads of cash for others, international corporations and fûckin die in the process.

Wish I could thank this 100 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

Which point would that be? The guy said “end of June”. He may as well have said end of next week for all the validity that statement had. So I correctly said that’s “rubbish”. A phased rollback of restrictions is beginning on May 5th.

Is that a little clearer for you now?

Em it's not definite that will happen will depend on the next two weeks. And considering there was a 40% increase in footfall today and a lot of people becoming more lax on the restrictions it can really go either way!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement