Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Loads out today.

Complacency has set in.

Noticeably busier when out at lunchtime today, the roads into work this morning also had a good bit more traffic.

Good to see people beginning to return to a bit of normality. This may be one of the few instances where Irish people's inability to comply with authority is advantageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

It's not really a lockdown, just walked to shops and there are people and traffic everywhere, apart from the strange set up for queueing for supermarket etc you wouldn't know there's a lockdown going on.
    You can still go for a walk and spend time outside so I don't really know why people are talking about cracking up being stuck at home.

I think the issue is there are only so many times you can go for a walk or go to the shop with that becoming mundane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Noticeably busier when out at lunchtime today, the roads into work this morning also had a good bit more traffic.

Good to see people beginning to return to a bit of normality. This may be one of the few instances where Irish people's inability to comply with authority is advantageous.

Are you out of your frickin' mind???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

easypazz wrote: »
    I think the issue is there are only so many times you can go for a walk or go to the shop with that becoming mundane.

Right but it has to be done. The measures are hardly in place just for the craic. People's inability to deal with any temporary changes is a real eye opener.

Plus the limitations on our testing mean we don't really know what kind of place we're in...

Numbers of deaths and numbers of ICU beds are the numbers that count.

95% of tests were coming back negative initially, now the testing is more targeted, testing gives us an idea in the wider population and plays its part, but right now the deaths and ICU situation is not too bad.

Hopefully the measures since social distancing were introduced will see a modest peak by Easter and then a tapering off.

Hopefully after that widespread testing, quick turnaround times on results and targeted measures will see us beat this.

To relax restrictions requires closing our borders, or else there will be throngs travelling down from the north to go to hardware shops etc.

If we open the pubs and restaurants we will be overrun from other countries and it will flare up again.

So closing borders must be on the radar (if we start to get ahead of this before other countries do)

• Advertisement

Right but it has to be done. The measures are hardly in place just for the craic. People's inability to deal with any temporary changes is a real eye opener.

But people are dealing with the measures.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Plus the limitations on our testing mean we don't really know what kind of place we're in...

How many times am I going to read this EXACT same f'in sentence in these threads? JESUS!! The criteria has changed. The treatment hasn't (there's none). We are all basically self-isolating as it is! Get a new line, boardsies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

ITman88 wrote: »
    The economy from a bedroom critic.

People aren’t spending and it is a massive problem, and when this is over consumer confidence is on the floor for purchases bar essentials.

There is 2 arguments taking place in this thread and the reason the economic argument will continue is because of posts like above, completely dismissing the catastrophic effects we will face into with an extended lockdown.

The state will not get the revenue back directly, people are not spending, and it will take considerable time to instill consumer confidence.

I think your wrong. :)

But people are dealing with the measures.:confused:

There's a lot of moaning going on in this thread and people saying the Irish people wont put up with more of it. The queue for the supermarket was jovial and people seem to be generally in good spirits. I think boards just has a lot of gobsh*tes posting about sinister tensions in the air etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

We haven't seen real authoritative measures being enforced yet , but with attitudes like this we probably will.

Btw , how can people return to normality when everything still shut down..

• Advertisement

sabat wrote: »
    Most food is 0% VAT and about 50% of the supermarket business is foreign owned...

Your right, we are phucked altogether.

What foods are 0% though? Please teach me.

Foreign owned:)

There's a lot of moaning going on in this thread and people saying the Irish people wont put up with more of it. The queue for the supermarket was jovial and people seem to be generally in good spirits. I think boards just has a lot of gobsh*tes posting about sinister tensions in the air etc.

This.

Ireland is coming together apart from two distinct cohorts:
    1. Boards.ie eejits who haven't left their houses since 2002 to attend ComicCon
    2. Journal.ie commentators

never_mind wrote: »

These people make me weep for humanity

These people make me weep for humanity

90% of all online convos right now:

Numbers are only consistent cause of the lack of tests being done
    WE GOT THIS PEOPLE
    Schools going to be open in June
    Omg this is going to go on well into next year omg
    My sisters friends aunts ex football coach died of corona. He died on the Andes and was the fittest man (certified) in the world and was a young 22.
    More women will die of this than men because of science
    Vaccines won't work IT IS MUTATING I SAW IT
    I am going to wear a mask to go for a pony in the guest ensuite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Very good never_mind !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

KiKi III wrote: »
    Link me to one credible source that says herd immunity is the end goal.

Good God...what do YOU think is the end goal? Of course nobody is stating it, because it's bleeding obvious.

What do you think is the end goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

never_mind wrote: »
    This.

Ireland is coming together apart from two distinct cohorts:
    1. Boards.ie eejits who haven't left their houses since 2002 to attend ComicCon

And I'd say there's a lot of posters in the middle of that venn diagram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,646 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There's a higher percentage of cranks on boards than in the general public anyway, myself included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Good God...what do YOU think is the end goal? Of course nobody is stating it, because it's bleeding obvious.

A vaccine and/or effective therepeutic treatment.

Relying on herd immunity absent of either of them is imbecilic.

Herd immunity is not the goal. If it was the goal, you would have the WHO, the HSE and any number of other people stating so.

Nothing is considered too obvious to state by these organisations, if that was the goal they would be clear and open about it.

The long-term goal is a treatment and a vaccine. That's why a major global clinical trial to find a treatment is happening next week: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-critically-ill-irish-patients-to-take-part-in-global-clinical-trial-1.4217263

And pharmaceutical companies worldwide are sharing their findings instead of competing in the race for a vaccine: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/03/when-will-a-coronavirus-vaccine-be-ready

I can link to sources that back up what i'm saying because I didn't make it up off the top of my head.

• Advertisement

He said 4 more weeks restrictions, followed by 4 weeks of looser restrictions then all good, back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I'm on Boards nearly twenty years and I think it has reached peak gob****ery over the past year or so. The amount narcissistic, petty, misinformed people congregating has resulted in the site going very, very rapidly downhill. Have a look at the TV and radio forums as an example with snarky, personal comments on presenters and people that goes unmoderated day in, day out. Many of the posters on this forum unfortunately fall into the category also with their purely me fein attitudes.

It is of course due to the demographics of users and it makes me fear for society over the next twenty years.

He said 4 more weeks restrictions, followed by 4 weeks of looser restrictions then all good, back to normal.

My name is Kiki and my avatar is female. I know we're all against assuming genders these days, but an educated guess would tell you I'm not a he :p

Herd immunity is not the goal. If it was the goal, you would have the WHO, the HSE and any number of other people stating so.

Nothing is considered too obvious to state by these organisations, if that was the goal they would be clear and open about it.

The long-term goal is a treatment and a vaccine. That's why a major global clinical trial to find a treatment is happening next week: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-critically-ill-irish-patients-to-take-part-in-global-clinical-trial-1.4217263

And pharmaceutical companies worldwide are sharing their findings instead of competing in the race for a vaccine: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/03/when-will-a-coronavirus-vaccine-be-ready

I can link to sources that back up what i'm saying because I didn't make it up off the top of my head.

A vaccine could be 18 months away, hopefully not, but in the shorter term herd immunity is a viable and achievable option.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I'm on Boards nearly twenty years and I think it has reached peak gob****ery over the past year or so. The amount narcissistic, petty, misinformed people congregating has resulted in the site going very, very rapidly downhill. Have a look at the TV and radio forums as an example with snarky, personal comments on presenters and people that goes unmoderated day in, day out. Many of the posters on this forum unfortunately fall into the category also with their purely me fein attitudes.

It is of course due to the demographics of users and it makes me fear for society over the next twenty years.

I agree but in fairness TV presenters have had it coming for a while. Fair game as far as I can see.

Pay me well over 6 figures and you are more than welcome to annihilate my character on twitter, boards, the journal. Pay me more and you can lambaste my mother and my wife as well.

My name is Kiki and my avatar is female. I know we're all against assuming genders these days, but an educated guess would tell you I'm not a he :p

:)

And I didn't say all good, back to normal after 8 weeks.

I think at that point most things would start to go back to normal but I'd be very surprised to see gigs/ festivals/ sports events happening this side of September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,667 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

A vaccine could be 18 months away, hopefully not, but in the shorter term herd immunity is a viable and achievable option.

Is it? Researchers say that the virus can damage your heart even if you recover. Hardly a great public health policy.

6 wrote: »
    Is it? Researchers say that the virus can damage your heart even if you recover. Hardly a great public health policy.

Lots of things can damage your vital organs, there will always be an attrition rate with everything, it just has to be tolerable.

Lots of people die from smoking but its not banned.

• Advertisement

Lots of things can damage your vital organs, there will always be an attrition rate with everything, it just has to be tolerable.

Lots of people die from smoking but its not banned.

In the past couple of days you've compared your idea for what's workable to smoking, one of the deadliest habits in the world, and people dying in car crashes.

Surely when your "solution" is comparable to these things you should know it's not a good one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement