Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

bubblypop wrote: »
    I work on the frontline, so I have to work. I have noticed a lot more traffic around the last 2 days. A lot more. Obviously more people are out & about.
    All it will do is cause more restrictions being placed on us.

you're so right, surprised this hasnt come to the attention of media yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Itsalladdingup

bubblypop wrote: »
    I work on the frontline, so I have to work. I have noticed a lot more traffic around the last 2 days. A lot more. Obviously more people are out & about.
    All it will do is cause more restrictions being placed on us.

I thought this was me just imagining it! More talk on WhatsApp groups I’m on about friends getting antsy and bored. Human nature I guess. I hope the horror of all this doesn’t wear thin and people stay vigilant. I’m frontline too so definitely not bored. I can feel a further clampdown coming after Easter.

Whether we agree with 2km restrictions or not they were put there for us to comply with for this 2 week period. I have absolutely hated it. I am walking around main roads instead of my usual forest and mountain treks. And that is why I have seen a huge increase in traffic in the last 2-3 days. It was deadly quiet last Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Last few days I almost got knocked down on 2 separate occasions by speeding cars. There is nowhere else for me to walk.

The point is that I am trying to comply but if everyone else is saying fcuk this then why shouldn't I???
    You see THIS is the problem with saying "sure yer man out running in the forest, or cycling 20km, or jogging on the beach is doing no harm!".......................why should ANYONE comply if that's the case, and if we see cars zooming past as usual? Its not fair to think the responsible ones should keep to the rules because we know it the right thing to do , when so many others have already stopped! It can't be one rule for some, another rule for others.

ITman88 wrote: »
    Ok, so your logic is, don’t listen to this person on the internet, listen to this person on the internet instead

Eh it's a segment from channel 4 news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Gavlor

road_high wrote: »
    Where are the majority of new cases coming from does anyone know?

About 3 weeks ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Nermal

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    I know someone working in a chocolate factory. Still open and operating, with no social distancing. Essential apparently. Of course they can do more.

Food is essential. Are the lockdown fetishists going to start an argument over what specific foods are essential?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

people are in denial

My course is telling people they will bring us in for exams on the 4th of may as originally planned. That is 4 weeks away.

The UK press is saying 2 weeks.

While here and there infection rates are still growing not even flattening.

Realistically Leo always said way into the summer. I think it will be sept before things go back to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

But sure virtually nothing is open now bar food and fuel? All with strict social distancing going on. We need to know how the fcuk it’s spreading at the moment. If supermarkets are spreading it like wildfire I’d say fair enough but do we know that? Where are the majority of new cases coming from does anyone know?

The cases which have been reported to date all came from transmission prior to Paddy's Day as there is approximately a three week lag.

April 12 is the date they reckon they will start to have data on whether the measures are working or not, how well they are working and whether/for how long they need to be extended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Nermal wrote: »
    Food is essential. Are the lockdown fetishists going to start an argument over what specific foods are essential?

Yes they probably would. So long as they’ve stockpiled enough for themselves, obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

A, no power to stop people traveling

B, Gardai haven't suddenly doubled in numbers

C, real crime is still happening

D, Gardai are also sick

It's not nearly like any other rush hour

I thought there were fines and stuff introduced in legislation during the week, no?

This sounds like that after the high visibility checkpoints last weekend, it's actually back to normal?

So, can AGS stop people travelling or not? I've been sequestered away from my house (90 mins away) for 3 weeks now and could do with going to check on things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Big house party with singing and music blaring on my road last night and heard from friends similar in their own estates with groups of neighbours drinking in gardens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We are supposed to be going back into the office on 1 May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I thought there were fines and stuff introduced in legislation during the week, no?

This sounds like that after the high visibility checkpoints last weekend, it's actually back to normal?

So, can AGS stop people travelling or not? I've been sequestered away from my house (90 mins away) for 3 weeks now and could do with going to check on things.

The chance of gardai stopping you, finding that you shouldnt be on the road and fining you are zero.

These travel passes are just print outs saying "this person works for X company that has been deemed essential and therefore has a right to travel unimpeded blah blah"

Theres no official paperwork or anything.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    The chance of gardai stopping you, finding that you shouldnt be on the road and fining you are zero.

These travel passes are just print outs saying "this person works for X company that has been deemed essential and therefore has a right to travel unimpeded blah blah"

Theres no official paperwork or anything.

I actually have a letter from the office saying that I'm classed as "essential" (financial services), but I'm asking more if AGS actually got any legal powers in the last few days to stop/fine people for travelling - not so much what the chances of running into a checkpoint are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Big house party with singing and music blaring on my road last night and heard from friends similar in their own estates with groups of neighbours drinking in gardens

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3657648174276604&id=100000943735830?sfnsn=mo&d=n&vh=i

I thought there was alot of garda recruits being used for the state in these times. Some that almost had finished their training?

400, all in restricted duties due to being untrained

I actually have a letter from the office saying that I'm classed as "essential" (financial services), but I'm asking more if AGS actually got any legal powers in the last few days to stop/fine people for travelling - not so much what the chances of running into a checkpoint are :)

There is at present no power to stop you travelling or fining you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Just tell them you're going to Tesco; what can they do?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

There is at present no power to stop you travelling or fining you.

It's like a step back to older times when the nosey Garda thought it normal to ask everyone who they are and where are they going.
    We have moved away from those times thankfully.

Just tell them you're going to Tesco; what can they do?:confused:

In my case it would be a bit hard to claim I was on my way to tesco via a 90 minute motorway spin :)

But that's grand. The trip is a simple A-B by car with no stops and no people at the destination, so risk is actually less than going to the local shops.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

SSr0 wrote: »

I respect that it looks negligent and it is not ideal... but... it is not half as bad as an entire community sharing 3 toliets in a local boozer or restaurants or the hugging and kissing that goes on at your local disco.

From looking at the video most neighbours are sticking to their front gardens, it is feasible that the main family are under the same roof anyways.

Not ideal but a lockdown does not mean that people are not allowed have a drink and enjoy themselves either.

Apart from that if you think your neighbours are taking the piss you should be letting them know. Posting videos on here is doing nothing and actually disrespecting their privacy. If I knew my neighbours were videoing me and then posting online without my permission I would not be impressed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Health (Preservation and Protection and other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Act 2020 has been signed into law. It lays the basis for providing the Gardaí with some serious enforcement powers to enforce the restrictions outlined by the Government.

However a Ministerial Order is required to bring the enforcement powers into effect. It hasn't been signed to date. The Gardaí have no additional powers currently.

Gardaí still waiting to get Covid-19 powers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I respect that it looks negligent and it is not ideal... but... it is not half as bad as an entire community sharing 3 toliets in a local boozer or restaurants or the hugging and kissing that goes on at your local disco.

From looking at the video most neighbours are sticking to their front gardens, it is feasible that the main family are under the same roof anyways.

Not ideal but a lockdown does not mean that people are not allowed have a drink and enjoy themselves either.

Apart from that if you think your neighbours are taking the piss you should be letting them know. Posting videos on here is doing nothing and actually disrespecting their privacy. If I knew my neighbours were videoing me and then posting online without my permission I would not be impressed.

Who appointed you the arbiter and judge and jury around here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

people are in denial

My course is telling people they will bring us in for exams on the 4th of may as originally planned. That is 4 weeks away.

Realistically Leo always said way into the summer. I think it will be sept before things go back to normal.

They're not flattening because we're still seeing cases of people infected pre lockdown. By the time they have symptoms, get ill enough to be hospitalised and wait for test results, that's quite a few days.

The British aren't saying 2 weeks to start relaxing lockdown, they're saying end of May IF people keep following distancing rules. That's still 8 weeks away, and it's a lot to ask of people crammed into tiny rooms in flatshares with no outside space. I don't think it can realistically last for much longer than that in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

SSr0 wrote: »

Was that in cork or limerick or some other town in Munster? Can’t quite place the accent.
    Seems pretty harmless, the neighbours seem to be “social distancing”- families are already living close together so they either have it or dont at this stage.
    Lots of people smoking- this virus should be a bloody wake up call- those with weakened lungs are especially vulnerable

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Was that in cork or limerick or some other town in Munster? Can’t quite place the accent.
    Seems pretty harmless, the neighbours seem to be “social distancing”- families are already living close together so they either have it or dont at this stage.
    Lots of people smoking- this virus should be a bloody wake up call- those with weakened lungs are especially vulnerable

Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Seems pretty harmless, the neighbours seem to be “social distancing”
    Absolutely - not my thing, but looks like a bunch of families keeping their distance and enjoying themselves. There is no law against groups of neighbours sitting in their own driveways.

This crisis has really exposed the curtain-twitchers and hysterical people in general. People who think that the air outside their house is swimming with virus (have they HEPA filters inside their home?). Spying on couples going for a walk. Ringing the guards when they see a lone cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

hmmm wrote: »
    Absolutely - not my thing, but looks like a bunch of families keeping their distance and enjoying themselves. There is no law against groups of neighbours sitting in their own driveways.

This crisis has really exposed the curtain-twitchers and hysterical people in general. People who think that the air outside their house is swimming with virus (have they HEPA filters inside their home?). Spying on couples going for a walk. Ringing the guards when they see a lone cyclist.

100%. It's pathetic. Some people are really showing their true colours. You can see who would have been the people to report people to the Nazis. Self righteous curtain twitching idiots with such pathetic lives that they can think of nothing else to do but shame other people who are just trying to get through this.

I wouldn't personally enjoy such a gathering, but how is it any different to the Italians standing on balconies to sing? People are staying in or near their own properties and adhering to the guidelines. How on earth is there any risk here? Now you can't even sit in your own bleeding front garden without being shamed on social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Passed two separate houses on a walk last night with groups of teens/early-20's drinking cans in the gardens. These were the front gardens so I presume there's probably more stuff going on behind closed doors.

There's way more traffic on the roads and more people out and about - very noticeable the increase since Thursday.

What's clear is that, other than bedroom-dwellers on the main thread, most people will not accept being locked-down for more than a couple of weeks. We should have held off for a couple of weeks and introduced it toward the middle of this month until the end of April.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

people are in denial

I believe that when tests results are announced today a lot of those results are from a few days or even a week ago.

As the testing regime improves we may, hopefully, see fewer cases rather quickly, as in by Easter Monday I hope we have passed peak.

After that who knows, start of May for semi relaxed restrictions is possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement