Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

hmmm wrote: »
    Absolutely - not my thing, but looks like a bunch of families keeping their distance and enjoying themselves. There is no law against groups of neighbours sitting in their own driveways.

This crisis has really exposed the curtain-twitchers and hysterical people in general. People who think that the air outside their house is swimming with virus (have they HEPA filters inside their home?). Spying on couples going for a walk. Ringing the guards when they see a lone cyclist.

Who's spying on couples going for walks? And calling guards on lone cyclists?
    You're just making sh*t up now.
    You can go for a walk and no one is going to do anything about it, my local park St Anne's is as busy as a hot summers day every day during this crisis.

What this has really exposed is how many "snowflakes" there are who can't handle a bit of inconvenience. I really don't know how you lot would have survived during actual hard times throughout history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Passed two separate houses on a walk last night with groups of teens/early-20's drinking cans in the gardens. These were the front gardens so I presume there's probably more stuff going on behind closed doors.

There's way more traffic on the roads and more people out and about - very noticeable the increase since Thursday.

What's clear is that, other than bedroom-dwellers on the main thread, most people will not accept being locked-down for more than a couple of weeks. We should have held off for a couple of weeks and introduced it toward the middle of this month until the end of April.

Thank god you aren't in charge of running the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Passed two separate houses on a walk last night with groups of teens/early-20's drinking cans in the gardens. These were the front gardens so I presume there's probably more stuff going on behind closed doors.

There's way more traffic on the roads and more people out and about - very noticeable the increase since Thursday.

What's clear is that, other than bedroom-dwellers on the main thread, most people will not accept being locked-down for more than a couple of weeks. We should have held off for a couple of weeks and introduced it toward the middle of this month until the end of April.

Good idea, wait until we all have before trying to stop it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭growleaves

Who's spying on couples going for walks? And calling guards on lone cyclists?

https://www.reddit.com/r/WhitePeopleTwitter/comments/fr58zi/a_small_slice_of_quarantine_life/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭facehugger99

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Thank god you aren't in charge of running the country.

Shouldn't you be hitting f5 over in the main thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Shouldn't you be hitting f5 over in the main thread?

Jesus Wept.

the numbers of infected in Germany are levelling out now but no talk of relaxation of restrictions there yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I’ve heard seen that said a lot on here and Facebook, but any time I’ve been out I haven’t seen it myself, though I’ve only been out of the house twice in the week.
    I wonder is some of it the “I always do my shopping in Thursday/Friday, so I will continue”.
    Also, what day is pension/dole day? Are they thur or fri, that people would Have the means to go shopping now?

jlm29 wrote: »
    I’ve heard seen that said a lot on here and Facebook, but any time I’ve been out I haven’t seen it myself, though I’ve only been out of the house twice in the week.
    I wonder is some of it the “I always do my shopping in Thursday/Friday, so I will continue”.
    Also, what day is pension/dole day? Are they thur or fri, that people would Have the means to go shopping now?

I haven't noticed it being any different, traffic has been ever present where I live since all this began. Some posters are suggesting everything is getting busier because they are trying to make it out like everyone is getting sick of this and they just wont put up with it any longer! They can feel an air of impatience growing!
    Whereas I really don't think this is the case, most people are willing to comply and know it's for the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

the numbers of infected in Germany are levelling out now but no talk of relaxation of restrictions there yet.

Yes, there is. Actually a lot!

• Advertisement

d15ude wrote: »
    Yes, there is. Actually a lot!

You are not listening to the news. The official line is no relaxations. Don't dare go on trips at Easter... and that is coming direct from freshly released in to the wild Merkel's mouth this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sarah491

www .nratrafficdata.ie for those interested in looking at the car counter data in your area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Personally I expect the current restrictions to continue in largely the same format until at least mid to late May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You are not listening to the news. The official line is no relaxations. Don't dare go on trips at Easter... and that is coming direct from freshly released in to the wild Merkel's mouth this morning.

Very suspicious how they've as many cases as France but only a fraction of the deaths.

Maybe some manipulation.
    French authorities said they never included people who died outside of hospitals in their official counts until this week.
    Are Germany doing something different?

Deaths are really the only way to record the spread of the virus. We could make our recorded cases go to zero by stopping testing, harder to manipulate death records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,223 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah were deffinitely gonna be out of all restrictions by next week....

But lets just check and see what the advisors are saying

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-lockdown-steps-could-remain-into-winter-says-expert-1.4221164?mode=amp

Yikes, it's gonna be a long year

• Registered Users Posts: 15,293 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

VinLieger wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-lockdown-steps-could-remain-into-winter-says-expert-1.4221164?mode=amp

Anyone who thinks we'll be out of restrictions next week is mental. Current measures until at least the end of the month at the earliest. There'll be some sort of measures for a good while to come but a total lockdown just wont be possible in the long run

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

That's behind a paywall. Is it saying the current restrictions or, as the text under the picture suggests, some different level of restrictions?
    I can't see how the current level is sustainable for that length of time but differing variations could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

All I see there is that some restrictions may be in place for some time. Hardly a definitive statement?

ixoy wrote: »
    That's behind a paywall. Is it saying the current restrictions or, as the text under the picture suggests, some different level of restrictions?
    I can't see how the current level is sustainable for that length of time but differing variations could be.

Its saying some level of restrictions, basically concentrates on the big question that people should not assume schools etc will deffinitely be open come september

• Advertisement

kieran. wrote: »
    All I see there is that some restrictions may be in place for some time. Hardly a definitive statement?

Its definitive enough that the people on here claiming we shouldnt be in restrictions at all or that it will all be over come next month can now stop talking through their arses

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Very suspicious how they've as many cases as France but only a fraction of the deaths.

Maybe some manipulation.
    French authorities said they never included people who died outside of hospitals in their official counts until this week.
    Are Germany doing something different?

Deaths are really the only way to record the spread of the virus. We could make our recorded cases go to zero by stopping testing, harder to manipulate death records.
    Germans are doing what Germans always do which is adhere to guidance diligently...and they have the best health care system in Europe. They have their horror stories like that retirement home in Würzburg but they have the infrastructure throughout to keep the infected alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Nermal

ixoy wrote: »
    I can't see how the current level is sustainable for that length of time.

It's not sustainable for any length of time and needs to end now.

https://twitter.com/ThingsWork/status/1246150462073536512

• Registered Users Posts: 5 avg3078

easypazz wrote: »
    Good idea, wait until we all have before trying to stop it.:rolleyes:

Lock down is not a solution, does anybody think what will happen when we all get back to normality after sitting at home? The virus will start spreading again. Should we be in lock down till the vaccine is available?
    How much money does the govermnet have to give it away every week? And what sort of economy will there be? I don't see the government thinking about the distant future. They are so obsessed with numbers at the moment.
    Look at Sweden, guys. Life as it was with a few restrictions. Children going to school, shops open. Keeping sane is what we really need.

Whats that graph of US unemployment rates meant to mean as regards Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

avg3078 wrote: »
    Lock down is not a solution, does anybody think what will happen when we all get back to normality after sitting at home? The virus will start spreading again. Should we be in lock down till the vaccine is available?
    How much money does the govermnet have to give it away every week? And what sort of economy will there be? I don't see the government thinking about the distant future. They are so obsessed with numbers at the moment.
    Look at Sweden, guys. Life as it was with a few restrictions. Children going to school, shops open. Keeping sane is what we really need.

I’d have to agree mostly. No one is saying this could be a long term solution! It’s buying time for treatments and vaccines to be developed.

Primary schools are open but second and third level schools are closed in Sweden.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

... And what sort of economy will there be?...

Does it actually matter that much if the economy in country X collapses if at the same time it also collapses in every single other country?

It does matter in normal circumstances where an economy is measured by how well it is doing against others, but if they all fall off by the same then has anything actually changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

R value down at 2.5 at the end of march, need it below 1.

Id say another 2 weeks of these restrictions and then may will see is return to the lack social distances and depends on how that goes, June will see even some of them being lifted. I expect maybe the leaving cert students may be brought back in may.

Pubs etc wont be open until June, July id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Significantly more deaths than the other three Scandinavian countries put together. But who needs your life when you have your sanity eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

robinph wrote: »
    Does it actually matter that much if the economy in country X collapses if at the same time it also collapses in every single other country?

It does matter in normal circumstances where an economy is measured by how well it is doing against others, but if they all fall off by the same then has anything actually changed?
    did anything change back in 2008, i forget :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement