Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/04/uks-covid-19-lockdown-could-crumble-as-frustration-grows-police-warn

I can't see the UK lockdown being anywhere near over by the end of this coming week, but also can't see it lasting for much more than another three weeks without some serious disruption, especially in London. There are just too many people crammed into tiny, unsuitable accommodation for tensions not to boil over, in addition to all the people who are out of work and struggling to afford essentials.

Not sure how they're going to deal with it. Looks like the peak is expected to be about a week from now, and it would be unwise to stop restrictions too soon after it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/04/uks-covid-19-lockdown-could-crumble-as-frustration-grows-police-warn

I can't see the UK lockdown being anywhere near over by the end of this coming week, but also can't see it lasting for much more than another three weeks without some serious disruption, especially in London. There are just too many people crammed into tiny, unsuitable accommodation for tensions not to boil over, in addition to all the people who are out of work and struggling to afford essentials.

Not sure how they're going to deal with it. Looks like the peak is expected to be about a week from now, and it would be unwise to stop restrictions too soon after it.

Can it really be the peak in a week? With less than 1% of the population confirmed positive? Aren't they estimated that upto 80% could get infected?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Yeah we are alive for an incredibly interesting time in history(although it’s pretty rough).

The restrictions are going to be debated for years, I’ve regularly quoted lord Sumptions thoughts on the restrictions.
    London is an incredibly densely populated region, does it have an older or younger age profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Can it really be the peak in a week? With less than 1% of the population confirmed positive? Aren't they estimated that upto 80% could get infected?

The positive test thing is a misnomer, many have it with no symptoms, so would never consider a test in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Why am I awake and posting so very late.

Anyway, who cares, was just thinking that if people can WFH in the future, what the heck will happen with those shiny new office blocks all over the place. Will there be much need anymore.

This virus awful as it is, may change a lot of things in the future perhaps.

Would they turn them into housing, jumping very far ahead now though because maybe the work from home thing is not for everybody.

• Advertisement

The number of confirmed cases is pretty meaningless. The true number will be many times that. The estimate of 80% is over the entire period until a vaccine is found, which is why the elderly are being asked to isolate for at least 12 weeks and probably longer, as there will still be a steady flow of cases for months now.

ITman88 wrote: »
    The positive test thing is a misnomer, many have it with no symptoms, so would never consider a test in the first place

They wouldn't get one if they wanted one. There aren't enough even for front line workers. Testing is pretty much impossible in the UK. Anyone with symptoms is told to stay at home. The only people who are being tested are either very high profile or people who have gotten so ill that they've been admitted to hospital. There's no real way of knowing what percentage of people have already been infected, but it's many times more than the 'official' number of cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I remember you saying you were in an at risk group.

Take anything you receive by post as carefully and given it a squirt of disinfectant. You just need one lazy ****er in sorting office to contaminate it or to be fair to them someone who posted something could be contaminated. Not sure if it was here or not but some lady that two local police knew had tested positive and was meant to be at home was spotted walking the street to post a letter. That's what you are dealing with.

I know it seems mental but myself and mother have asthma so once I bring in groceries I wipe down all packaging where possible. Just takes one manky person going into a shop and touching or picking up and leaving back items. Say one local 75 year old dickhead walk in to SuperValu during week, no hand sanitizer and picked up basket and off in

You scored AntiViral wipes? FairPlay, because if you’re using generic Anti Bacterial wipes it’s no use. You’ll have to spray a Bleach Detergent opposed to wipes unless the wipes are Anti Viral.

nocoverart wrote: »
    You scored AntiViral wipes? FairPlay, because if you’re using generic Anti Bacterial wipes it’s no use. You’ll have to spray a Bleach Detergent opposed to wipes unless the wipes are Anti Viral.

I live with a doctor (not the same housemate who was mocking me) and have been told this is rubbish. He says antibacterial wipes and gel ARE effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I use a spray bottle filled with bleach and wipe down

• Advertisement

I live with a doctor (not the same housemate who was mocking me) and have been told this is rubbish. He says antibacterial wipes and gel ARE effective.

I hope that is true. So many grey areas and misinformation going around, hard to know what to believe. I'm personally using Flash with Bleach to disinfect Shopping but that may not be even adequate, who knows.

I hope that is true. So many grey areas and misinformation going around, hard to know what to believe. I'm personally using Flash with Bleach to disinfect Shopping but that may not be even adequate, who knows.

I'm pretty sure I've read it elsewhere too.

The thing I'd worry about is contaminating my food with the products. I'm only really wiping down stuff like glass bottles and plastic packaging. Any fresh stuff just goes into the fridge and I try to leave it a day or so before using it, if I can. AFAIK the main risk is pretty immediate and virtually non existent after a day or so. I believe the official advice is just to wash your hands after putting the groceries away. I go a bit further than that, but you wouldn't want to become obsessive about it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Does everyone have stamps at home? See, I can ask silly questions too. You claimed it was no effort for your sister. I pointed out that unless she lives and works in the post office, it required effort.

Besides, as I already suggested, what makes the most sense is you ordering the item online thus still receiving them by post but without your sister being put out by her apparently ungrateful brother. But that would have cost you and not your sister time, money and effort.

Again, be grateful because she could have simple told you to sod off and order them online.

I knew that she had stamps and envelopes because she told me that she did when we were videochatting the day before. So I DO know that she could have posted it to me with little effort knowing that there is a postbox at the end of her road, approximately 200 metres away. If doing that is effort to you, I wish I had your life.

And I’m a woman.

I'm pretty sure I've read it elsewhere too.

The thing I'd worry about is contaminating my food with the products. I'm only really wiping down stuff like glass bottles and plastic packaging. Any fresh stuff just goes into the fridge and I try to leave it a day or so before using it, if I can. AFAIK the main risk is pretty immediate and virtually non existent after a day or so. I believe the official advice is just to wash your hands after putting the groceries away. I go a bit further than that, but you wouldn't want to become obsessive about it either.

Here's your Brother so to speak, probably get sick of Bleach Poisoning before Coronavirus... but you're right, becoming obsessive over these things isn't good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Anyone have results of the Czech Republic where everyone must wear a mask? If it was brought in here allowing a bit more freedom then why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I also have an underlying health issue and have also been wiping anything I'm going to use shortly with antibacterial wipes, and leaving everything else in the bags for several days. My housemate is actually becoming quite abusive, telling me I'm being ridiculous and that the chance of getting something from packaging is tiny compared to the risk of actually being in the shop. I don't know why it's any of his business, but he's making me feel like I'm being hysterical.

I have no underlying conditions, would be low risk, as are all my family, and I do it too. I’d consider it very normal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I work in the HSE and share an office with 4 others. On Friday a colleague was diagnosed positive. The rest of us were contacted over the weekend by occupational health to see if we had symptoms and if not turn up for work as normal Monday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

I also have an underlying health issue and have also been wiping anything I'm going to use shortly with antibacterial wipes, and leaving everything else in the bags for several days. My housemate is actually becoming quite abusive, telling me I'm being ridiculous and that the chance of getting something from packaging is tiny compared to the risk of actually being in the shop. I don't know why it's any of his business, but he's making me feel like I'm being hysterical.

Since nobody has been able to say with any certainty what the chance of getting sick from surfaces is, I feel like I might as well do whatever I can. I can't control the other people in the shop but I can choose to wipe down my groceries if it makes me feel a bit less anxious. Can't see any real downside.

Your housemate is an ar*sehole! It's good common sense to wipe this stuff down. It's all about mitigating risk. The risk is lower than other activities, but if you want to minimise as much risk as possible, wiping down your food items just makes good sense. I read an article on RTE citing health professionals recommending doing this, as well as a lot of other medical advise to do so from other countries, most recently a top doctor in the US advising to do so and particularly to always wash hands after preparing food and before eating. He even posted a video online from his own home demonstrating how best to do it. And to add, anything I've read so far said any cleaner will work, soap and warm water might be the easiest though. People's housemates are going to be driving each other around the bend more than usual these days! Why should he care anyway, none of his business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

I work in the HSE and share an office with 4 others. On Friday a colleague was diagnosed positive. The rest of us were contacted over the weekend by occupational health to see if we had symptoms and if not turn up for work as normal Monday

Mental if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,643 ✭✭✭✭kippy

seamusk84 wrote: »
    I work in the same area as you (potentially for the the same company) and we have essentially 95% been WFH for 2 weeks now.

But are you not concerned that now that we have shown we can operate like this, we have essentially demonstrated that our work can be done from India etc at a much lower cost with just a "Plate on Door" presence in Ireland?

I haven't heard anyone else say that yet....But we need to think about it.

Companies know this already though. Lots of things can and have been done for years in cheaper economies. How many call centres for example are outside the state. There are lots of other jobs that can be offshore as well.
    Sure look at what most of the people on this thread do, yourself included. The main markets you or your companies serve aren't irish. The jobs you all do are offshored in some way to Ireland.
    Let no one be under any illusions, these organisations are here because of a combination of favourable tax rates, favourable grants, the English language, a relatively educated workforce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,643 ✭✭✭✭kippy

AdamD wrote: »
    I do think the WFH productivity has been helped by people having feck all else to do. No doubt it could work very well but I'm not entirely convinced this is an accurate test

Work from home works for specific personality types and specific roles. There's no doubt about that
    There are companies in Ireland with hundreds of employees and no office space operating here for years. Shopify comes to mind but there are others. There are other companies that have WFH for types of staff.

At the moment though it's not ideal times for companies who have never facilitated it before to judge it.

Namely because as you say activity for a lot of organisations is down but mainly, for the older amongst us, the kids are at home too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Mental if true

100% true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I am still hoping we will have measures lifted in May to be recommendations and not mandatory measures anymore..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-uk-lockdown-could-be-relaxed-in-weeks-says-top-govt-adviser-11968358

Coronavirus: UK lockdown could be relaxed in weeks, says top govt adviser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Lavinia wrote: »
    I am still hoping we will have measures lifted in May to be recommendations and not mandatory measures anymore..

It will be a very good result if we have them lifted by the end of May start of June time. Mentally people have to prepare themselves for the long haul though until the vaccine or massive anti-bodies tests are up and running.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

@ Lainey_d, here's some recent material, print out and leave for your housemate to peruse :)

Recent article which details that supermarkets are high-risk sites of infection for Covid-19

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1128423/

Also there's a comprehensive guide on reducing risk of infection while shopping which is downloadable from that link above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It will be a very good result if we have them lifted by the end of May start of June time. Mentally people have to prepare themselves for the long haul though until the vaccine or massive anti-bodies tests are up and running.

I would like to see them relaxed, not lifted much sooner than that. At least to allow people in vulnerable groups to go outdoors for short exercise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Gael23 wrote: »
    I would like to see them relaxed, not lifted much sooner than that. At least to allow people in vulnerable groups to go outdoors for short exercise

People in vulnerable groups can go out for exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

BanditLuke wrote: »

I see China are reporting cases from the community again. And Trump is still saying we can't stay closed forever.

Sooner or later we might end up just having to let this thing just run its course, with lower level restrictions to control the spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

easypazz wrote: »
    People in vulnerable groups can go out for exercise.

Are you not watching the news! They have been told to stay at home in all circumstances

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement