Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Gael23 wrote: »
    Are you not watching the news! They have been told to stay at home in all circumstances

Walking down the road is fine. All the oldies in my circle do that at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

easypazz wrote: »
    Walking down the road is fine. All the oldies in my circle do that at the moment.

Under HSE guidelines the over seventies have been told to stay at home I quote from the hse document
    ‘ Don’t go outside your home or garden.’

It’s all there on the HSE website.

citysights wrote: »
    Under HSE guidelines the over seventies have been told to stay at home I quote from the hse document
    ‘ Don’t go outside your home or garden.’

It’s all there on the HSE website.

Try enforcing that on the ones I know!

Personally I can't see harm in them going for a short walk as long as they don't mingle with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I see China are reporting cases from the community again. And Trump is still saying we can't stay closed forever.

Sooner or later we might end up just having to let this thing just run its course, with lower level restrictions to control the spread.

That's what will happen. Staying inside indefinitely is not feasible and it's also not anyone's intention.

As an OCD suffer and germaphobe, I'd be delighted if 'distancing' measures were applied when places started opening back up. For example, tables in restaurants being spaced further apart so you're no longer practically sitting on top of the people next to you. It being publicly acceptable to wipe down surfaces with wipes, hand gel readily available everywhere, maybe deli and waiting staff wearing masks so they're not spitting all over your food as they talk to you (this 100% happens!) just better hygiene practices in general. Less tolerance of disgusting practices like putting snotty tissues or used napkins down on work desks where other people are going to sit.

I have to say, I'm finding this really hard now, despite being an introvert, and what's keeping me going is the thought that things might at least be relaxed a bit soon. I'll still be worried and anxious about getting sick, but even simple things like being able to go to the park for a picnic or sit outside a pub having a pint would seem like a dream compared to now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Personally I can't see harm in them going for a short walk as long as they don't mingle with people.

People ranting about teens and kids when this all started but it's apparent that its our older folk that won't do what they're told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Only quoting the website!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

That's common sense. The cocooning idea is ill thought out and unenforceable. Its like a form of apartheid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

UK looking at possibly going further. Think we'll have to do likewise unfortunately

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-follow-lockdown-rules-or-we-will-ban-outdoor-exercise-health-secretary-warns-11968783

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I see China are reporting cases from the community again. And Trump is still saying we can't stay closed forever.

Sooner or later we might end up just having to let this thing just run its course, with lower level restrictions to control the spread.

Negative. We must keep up the good work. If you are looking to Trump for guidance then that tells it's own story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

BanditLuke wrote: »
    UK looking at possibly going further. Think we'll have to do likewise unfortunately

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-follow-lockdown-rules-or-we-will-ban-outdoor-exercise-health-secretary-warns-11968783

People won't stand for that.

I'm an essential worker apparently and come in much more danger during the course of my job that I do when I go for a walk.

In my opinion the place I work in could easily close for a few weeks, they close for Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

What lower level restrictions would you suggest that would still control spread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

That's common sense. The cocooning idea is ill thought out and unenforceable. Its like a form of apartheid.

Advising people on the best strategy to staying alive during a pandemic is hardly comparable to apartheid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

It's an empty threat by Hancock. Hopefully people will continue to abide by the restrictions, however, once they start to relent it will be impossible to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

People won't stand for that.

I'm an essential worker apparently and come in much more danger during the course of my job that I do when I go for a walk.

In my opinion the place I work in could easily close for a few weeks, they close for Christmas!

100% agree. People need to be able to take brief exercise outside, both for their physical and mental well being.

We just cant keep people indoors indefinitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

ShyMets wrote: »
    100% agree. People need to be able to take brief exercise outside, both for their physical and mental well being.

We just cant keep people indoors indefinitely

You mean the same people who couldn't be arsed exercising from one end of the year to the other, presumably they are now the crazy new cohort that absolutely have to exercise every single day and "get the miles in".

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Saw Matt Hancock on Andrew Marr this morning. To say he was unconvincing is an understatement.

polesheep wrote: »
    Advising people on the best strateg.

Very debatable whether it is the best strategy. If I am out on a remote strand with nobody around I am unable to infect anyone else and nobody else is able to infect me. The virus is not carried on the wind so house arrest is totally unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

ITman88 wrote: »
    The media are not a public service.

The greater the mass hysteria and panic they can generate the more clicks they can get.

They are really pushing death stats which need to be viewed with a pragmatic approach.
    ICU number are more relevant but that information is harder to find.

Balanced articles are non existent, you really need to find 2 sources for everything.
    What are you talking about? RTE is the biggest media outlet in the country. They are public service broadcasting.
    ITman88 wrote: »
    RTE productions cost has lowered and viewership has increased.

Sport costs money.

Covid viewership is cheap production and people are glued to it.
    avg3078 wrote: »
    Controlled by the government. A lot of lies there or showing only one side of the story.
    What lies?

And, from what source can you offer a view form the other side of the story?

Have to laugh at the above conspiracy mongering about the media and the government being complicit in "shutting down the country at the behest of a minority etc.", by the resident panic merchants on here and then when they are called out with a straight question from a poster (the last one in the sequence above) they scarper and are nowhere to be seen on it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

And there’s nothing wrong with that imo, depending on the individual circumstances. My parents live in a very rural area. They could walk for 5k and not cross paths with another soul (certainly not within 3 metres anyway!). Whereas someone living in an urban area will have much different challenges to deal with. People should follow the guidelines as best they can in their individual circumstances imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭greenfield21

after next weekend Dublin and cork will remain under lockdown with restrictions lifted on the rest of the country.

• Advertisement

after next weekend Dublin and cork will remain under lockdown with restrictions lifted on the rest of the country.

Is this another hunch stated as a fact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

MojoMaker wrote: »
    You mean the same people who couldn't be arsed exercising from one end of the year to the other, presumably they are now the crazy new cohort that absolutely have to exercise every single day and "get the miles in".

I think he means he people that leave the house occasionally and want to continue to do so. Which would be nearly everyone.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

As said already, this will cause civil unrest. There is only so far you can push people. Look at what’s happening in Italy when people were forbidden to leave their homes. They have nothing, no money, no food. Nothing,

All the petrol stations were to close yesterday too, somebody on here said they knew somebody "in the know"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

How will that work if you live in say Kildare or Meath and are working in Dublin? Go to work as normal, and then potentially bring it home and spread among your community?

Verifiable source please.

Verifiable source please.

You'll be waiting. Apparently on here posters can say almost anything without having to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

MojoMaker wrote: »

I'm sure you have zero evidence of that. There seems to be a cohort of people talking pleasure on seeing everyone locked down for some bizarre reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I also have an underlying health issue and have also been wiping anything I'm going to use shortly with antibacterial wipes, and leaving everything else in the bags for several days. My housemate is actually becoming quite abusive, telling me I'm being ridiculous and that the chance of getting something from packaging is tiny compared to the risk of actually being in the shop. I don't know why it's any of his business, but he's making me feel like I'm being hysterical.

Since nobody has been able to say with any certainty what the chance of getting sick from surfaces is, I feel like I might as well do whatever I can. I can't control the other people in the shop but I can choose to wipe down my groceries if it makes me feel a bit less anxious. Can't see any real downside.

I'd be looking on getting shot of that particular housemate asap.

Eitherway show them this.

Recent article which details that supermarkets are high-risk sites of infection for Covid-19

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1128423/

Also fairly comprehensive guide on reducing risk of infection from possible contamination

https://globalhealth.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Safe-Shopping-Guidelines-COVID-19-1.pdf

https://globalhealth.ie/a-quick-guide-to-safe-shopping-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic/

• Advertisement

Right now, the Irish public as whole, are behaving far better and have done, to date, than, I'd argue, most other countries, but especially the UK.

In fairness to UK citizens, they didn't receive the clarity and direction from either their government or public service broadcaster until a lot of damage was done.

I see the lockdown continuing for a good number of weeks yet, but I'd be very surprised if Ireland when "hardball' on this as the population is extremely compliant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement