Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I'm starting to see it IRL too. All the Instagram dahlings posting from their beautiful homes with cute little gardens telling everyone else to 'just stay in' are being very tone deaf. The community here (a very poor area) are being very good with the distancing but people are starting to get sick of being shamed for being outside, for sitting on a park bench so their new baby can get a bit of sun, or for being forced to go shopping on the high street because nobody can get a supermarket delivery slot. The resentment is starting to creep in a bit. It's 20 degrees today and people quite understandably just want to feel a bit of sun on their faces and see some grass.

I understand that if everyone sat on a park bench or lay in the sun on a blanket, we'd end up back at square one, but the shaming is getting a bit grating. I'm not even poor, I just live in this rubbish flat because I'm temporarily based in London. I can't imagine how stressed I'd be if I was struggling to afford groceries or nappies for my kid on top of all this.

Years ago, I shared a 2nd floor flat in NW London and completely agree with this.We had no access to the garden as it was owned by the Freehold owners of the ground floor flats.

Now I am an introvert and prefer my own company but that would drive me insane if I were there now.

Not being able to go out and sit anywhere? Or be shamed because I want, nay need, exercise after being cooped up in a two bed flat with a galley kitchen and a small common area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

BanditLuke wrote: »
    UK looking at possibly going further. Think we'll have to do likewise unfortunately

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-follow-lockdown-rules-or-we-will-ban-outdoor-exercise-health-secretary-warns-11968783

A stop big difference here, nobody going to parks sunbathing or going to beaches
    Nothing like what's happening in England is happening here now at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Do you not realise that people are dying. If hospitals become over run many many more will also die. Talk about selfishness ffs

As pragmatic as it sounds people will possibly die at the same rate when Covid is a distant memory.

The point of overrunning the hospitals is the most relevant point, hopefully but the end of this week we should know where we stand in Ireland regarding the ICU dependancy.

The restrictions aren’t going to save a great deal of lives, only prevent overwhelming the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Years ago, I shared a 2nd floor flat in NW London and completely agree with this.We had no access to the garden as it was owned by the Freehold owners of the ground floor flats.

Now I am an introvert and prefer my own company but that would drive me insane if I were there now.

Not being able to go out and sit anywhere? Or be shamed because I want, nay need, exercise after being cooped up in a two bed flat with a galley kitchen and a small common area?

It's horrible. I don't think people who haven't lived somewhere like this can truly understand how crap it is. I'm sharing with people I don't particularly know or like, I can only buy small amounts of food at a time because I only have one shelf in the fridge and a small amount of space in a press.

I need to get out and exercise, but doing so puts me at risk because the pavements are full of joggers and cyclists because of the busybodies who reported people to the police for minding their own business in the park, sitting alone and reading books or enjoying the sun. So now it's even worse for those of us who don't have a nice big private garden and our own space to exercise.

The nice weather is making it all seem so much worse, to be honest. I'm sitting here with the sun streaming in the windows, not even allowed to sit and read a book outside and with no idea when I'll be able to do that again. People here NEED the outside communal spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I'm starting to see it IRL too. All the Instagram dahlings posting from their beautiful homes with cute little gardens telling everyone else to 'just stay in' are being very tone deaf. The community here (a very poor area) are being very good with the distancing but people are starting to get sick of being shamed for being outside, for sitting on a park bench so their new baby can get a bit of sun, or for being forced to go shopping on the high street because nobody can get a supermarket delivery slot. The resentment is starting to creep in a bit. It's 20 degrees today and people quite understandably just want to feel a bit of sun on their faces and see some grass.

I understand that if everyone sat on a park bench or lay in the sun on a blanket, we'd end up back at square one, but the shaming is getting a bit grating. I'm not even poor, I just live in this rubbish flat because I'm temporarily based in London. I can't imagine how stressed I'd be if I was struggling to afford groceries or nappies for my kid on top of all this.

I just saw a piece on BBC filmed in a tiny flat in Barcelona . Mam , Dad and 4 year old all crammed into a very small space for three weeks now . They have a tiny balcony which the use one at a time for freshair . Its a nightmare for them , he goes to the loo occasionally for some quiet time
    It saddened me as that struggle in multiplied in so many cities and countries

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I just saw a piece on BBC filmed in a tiny flat in Barcelona . Mam , Dad and 4 year old all crammed into a very small space for three weeks now . They have a tiny balcony which the use one at a time for freshair . Its a nightmare for them , he goes to the loo occasionally for some quiet time

I live in a four bed bungalow on an acre of land 10 miles from the nearest town. I couldn't imagine being couped up in such a small space, it must really play havoc with relationships and mental health. Situations like you described are one of the reasons why an indefinite lockdown is impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Well personally I've been working from home for over 3 weeks now and limiting movements and I'm sick of it.

I'm generally fine on my own and taking it easy at home but I'd rather just catch this thing and be done with it one way or another at this point rather than putting everything on hold in the hope of somehow avoiding it for a while.

I'm reading posts of people cracking up after a week. I don't see how the current - never mind more severe - restrictions will hold under those circumstances.
    About the only way - unfortunately - is if deaths start rocketing upwards next week before the current measures are due for review.

Unfortunately the current setup will likely be extended until the end of the month. In May if the virus is under control we’ll get some gradual relaxation and beyond that it’s impossible to speculate.

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Honestly, even a balcony would feel like an unbelievable luxury to me. A colleague of mine just posted a picture of him on his balcony with an iced coffee. Being able to enjoy hours of fresh air and sunshine without having to be outside on the street is something most people here don't even have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Honestly, even a balcony would feel like an unbelievable luxury to me. A colleague of mine just posted a picture of him on his balcony with an iced coffee. Being able to enjoy hours of fresh air and sunshine without having to be outside on the street is something most people here don't even have.

I live in a small apartment ground floor but no front or back garden with my missus and kid.
    What we would give for our own garden.
    Her friend lives on the top floor with a big balcony and it sounds like heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

New measures on way as Holohan urges public to flatten coronavirus curve more.
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/new-measures-on-way-as-holohan-urges-public-to-flatten-coronavirus-curve-more-39103611.html

Anyone know if there's any substance behind this. No other side has anything and this is behind a paywall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I can only buy small amounts of food at a time because I only have one shelf in the fridge and a small amount of space in a press.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe you live somewhere so small that you are limited in how much food you can buy by a "small amount of space in a press"

Food (that doesn't need refrigeration) can be kept anywhere. A weeks supply would take up maybe a square foot.

Do you honestly believe you dont have the ability to buy and store a few weeks worth of food???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

User142 wrote: »
    New measures on way as Holohan urges public to flatten coronavirus curve more.
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/new-measures-on-way-as-holohan-urges-public-to-flatten-coronavirus-curve-more-39103611.html

Anyone know if there's any substance behind this. No other side has anything and this is behind a paywall.

There was new measures interduced for nursing home and other institutions yesterday.
    The committee are to meet this week in relation to extending the current restrictions that are due to end the 12th

padser wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe you live somewhere so small that you are limited in how much food you can buy by a "small amount of space in a press"

Food (that doesn't need refrigeration) can be kept anywhere. A weeks supply would take up maybe a square foot.

Do you honestly believe you dont have the ability to buy and store a few weeks worth of food???

What planet are you on? Do you think I can even carry 'a few weeks worth of food'? I can only manage one bag each time I go to the shops and it isn't enough for a whole week when I'm eating 3 meals a day at home.

I live in a box room with a single bed and a small built-in wardrobe which is already full to the brim with clothes and other essential things. I have a few inches of space under the bed, where I put anything that fits there, like my laptop, phone, headphones, Kindle and a few books.

If anyone wants to see an example of people 'not getting it', here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭greenfield21

When will know if the restrictions are been extended.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Friday I'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

There's no if, they will be. Two weeks was said to get people on board. We will be told it's working but another 2 weeks is necessary subject to review again and then a further 2 weeks. Although I suspect 4 weeks of this is the longest they will get with the present restrictions before people start pushing back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

There's no if, they will be. Two weeks was said to get people on board. We will be told it's working but another 2 weeks is necessary subject to review again and then a further 2 weeks. Although I suspect 4 weeks of this is the longest they will get with the present restrictions before people start pushing back.

I'd say end of April and then back to previous restrictions for a longer period...maybe 2 months or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭omeara1113

I'd say another two weeks from next Sunday and then to relax things a little

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'd say end of April and then back to previous restrictions for a longer period...maybe 2 months or more.

Everyone out of work for 4 months. The payment subsidy is only for 12 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

niallo27 wrote: »
    Everyone out of work for 4 months. The payment subsidy is only for 12 weeks.

Interesting. What's your take on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

as plumbthedepths said, imagine they said, this shut down last a month, people would lose their mind, nah, two weeks, then announce another two weeks. An extended lock down, wont work. We dont know how long a vacinne might take, what will we do? sit around for months like this? its suicide on the economic front too. I think they are going to have to allow some sort of middle ground. People will just have to be clever, about how they sell and buy...

This country does "plans" and "inaction" like no other, there is no point in trying to spoof this, they cant. I hope they are actually working on practical measures. We can all speculate, as to how this will play out. But I dont think this current lock down, is practical for more than a month, at most!

Shutting down builders, trades and building suppliers. It will stop the spread to an extent, but there is another several hundred thousand on welfare, that CANT work remotely! Like I said, to do this for a week or two, to get more PPE , facilities, testing in place, debatable. But this is not practical in anything other than the very short term!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

Idbatterim wrote: »

This country does "plans" and "inaction" like no other, there is no point in trying to spoof this

Hear hear! Like the Dublin Metro, West Coast Railway Line, hospitals and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Stheno wrote: »
    Friday I'd imagine

I think it’s horrible doing that on a Friday. A Thursday night would be better so we can enjoy the weekend rather than going in with immense fear. Let us enjoy the flipping weekend.

the country being so politically conservative, helped, because look at us v the uk or US etc, where they are very different HOWEVER on the flip side, I hope this doesnt hold us back for months , because they will always take the initial "easy way " out here. By that I mean, they will likely just close as much as possible and adopt their "deal with it tomorrow" attitude, which should be this countries motto!

We will only know, months or a year etc from now, how good or bad the decisions have been...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I could do this for two years before I would feel it's pointless

Hear hear! Like the Dublin Metro, West Coast Railway Line, hospitals and so on.

I assume work on the worlds most expensive hospital has stopped, sums up the idiocy of it all, why build it during the last recession and keep thousands in jobs here and avail of way cheaper tender prices! :rolleyes:

that could have then worked on providing housing etc... It is an appallingly managed country!

I could do this for two years before I would feel it's pointless

dont worry, not a chance! There would be anarchy, if they havent got vaccine in reasonable time frame. People can just go out and take their chances IMO. If you dont want too, cocooon...

The chance thing for the vast majority of us, even if we get it, will involve likely feeling a bit **** for a few days, big woooop! I believe some people dont even know that they had it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Interesting. What's your take on it?

I really dont know, I'm not knocking what your saying. I just think what your proposing is too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

Idbatterim wrote: »
    We will only know, months or a year etc from now, how good or bad the decisions have been...

But at least we are not living under Trump, Johnson and Löfven ( the Swedish disaster). I think Leo is holding a good steady line in the circumstances apart from initial wobblies about whether or not to can cancel St pats day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement