Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its really not that hard to stay inside if you use basic planning to make sure you buy what you need when you ARE out so you dont need to be going out daily.

Of course if you insist on going out whenever you want you can make a litany of excuses to justify it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its really not that hard to stay inside if you use basic planning to make sure you buy what you need when you ARE out so you dont need to be going out daily.

Of course if you insist on going out whenever you want you can make a litany of excuses to justify it.

Do you think there is a correlation between the amount of people living in a dwelling and their propensity to skirt the regulations?

How many live in yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Blueshoe wrote: »
    You are putting quotation marks either side of the word snowflakes. I didn't use the word. I used the word selfish.

It's a pandemic. Hundreds of millions of people around the world are living in lockdown. Deal with it. You are not special

I didn't say I was special. I said people are going to suffer violence and abuse, people are going to kill themselves and there will be other effects of a lockdown far beyond people simply wanting to go out for a pint or a nice picnic in the park.

Why can so many people not comprehend what they read?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You are putting quotation marks either side of the word snowflakes. I didn't use the word. I used the word selfish.

It's a pandemic. Hundreds of millions of people around the world are living in lockdown. Deal with it. You are not special

We are dealing with it though, its just it would be nice to have an exit strategy. Millions of people are going get very anxious and how they will provide for their families or themselves in the next few years. Just saying deal with it is a very selfish outlook.

pjohnson wrote: »

Who says they're going out daily?

I try to go out to the shops as little as possible. It has nothing to do with 'planning' and everything to do with only being able to carry so much. By the time I've got milk, bread, a few tins of beans and tuna, chopped tomatoes, some fresh juice, couple of packets of meat and maybe some rice, I'm already at the limit of what I can carry home. It's even harder if I also need something bulky like toilet roll or heavy like detergent. And if I were able to carry more, I have no space to store it at home anyway.

Let me guess - you have a car, plenty of space to store food and probably a garden.

• Advertisement

"Deal with it. You are not special"

Blimey, that's the spirit. Mad. A complete inability to see others viewpoint and a utter myopic focus. Staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Who says they're going out daily?

I try to go out to the shops as little as possible. It has nothing to do with 'planning' and everything to do with only being able to carry so much. By the time I've got milk, bread, a few tins of beans and tuna, chopped tomatoes, some fresh juice, couple of packets of meat and maybe some rice, I'm already at the limit of what I can carry home. It's even harder if I also need something bulky like toilet roll or heavy like detergent. And if I were able to carry more, I have no space to store it at home anyway.

Let me guess - you have a car, plenty of space to store food and probably a garden.

Would you have a wheelie case you could use to get shopping home ? Its awful having to carry heavy shopping . You could store the dry goods in the case then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

niallo27 wrote: »
    We are dealing with it though, its just it would be nice to have an exit strategy. Millions of people are going get very anxious and how they will provide for their families or themselves in the next few years. Just saying deal with it is a very selfish outlook.

Exit strategy is gradual relaxation of restrictions once the spread has been contained.

Blimey, that's the spirit. Mad. A complete inability to see others viewpoint and a utter myopic focus. Staggering.

What's the alternative?

As I said earlier, you can really tell who would have gone along with the Nazi regime back in the day.

A total inability to question, to understand an alternative point of view, to see nuance or think for themselves.

They just hear that you're supposed to 'stay home' and they parrot it over and over and feel self righteous that they're doing just as they're told, regardless of other people's possible suffering.

They see someone sitting on a park bench and ring the guards on them, not caring that the person might be terminally ill and wanting some last rays of sun, or escaping a violent partner at home. No, it's just blindly following the rules with them. Everything black and white.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Would you have a wheelie case you could use to get shopping home ? Its awful having to carry heavy shopping . You could store the dry goods in the case then

Nope, just a small backpack and a reusable shopping bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm in London and I do have underlying health issues, which is why it's so important that I'm getting exercise and air. I don't mind doing the lockdown but I need to get outside.

Is social distancing a requirement/ being enforced there?

gozunda wrote: »
    Is social distancing a requirement/ being enforced there?

Yes and yes. They're talking about banning outdoor exercise because people are flouting the guidelines, even though it's a tiny minority of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No, it's just blindly following the rules with them. Everything black and white.

There's nothing blind about it, it's how to stop the spread of the disease and cause the least damage, as advised by our own experts and the WHO.
    People are depressed and being abused etc, yes, we know, and that's sad and all but still the measures are in place because it's for the greater good. It wont go on forever and we need to deal with it as best we can in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes and yes. They're talking about banning outdoor exercise because people are flouting the guidelines, even though it's a tiny minority of people.

No, my old local park Brockwell Park in South London was closed today as there were 1000s of people there sunbathing and playing football etc. yesterday. A very sizeable minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interesting how other European countries are planning to lift restrictions ...

In Spain, construction and manufacturing will be the first industries to have restrictions lifted. Makes sense that construction would be the first industry allowed to re-start.
    Pedro Sánchez, the Spanish prime minister, on Saturday extended the shutdown of his country for another two weeks until April 26 but he said a ban imposed last month on all non-essential work including manufacturing and construction would be lifted after Easter.

Denmark and Belgium are considering splitting school classes into two groups. 50% attend on 1 day and the other 50% on the next day.

Meanwhile, Italy have set 16 May as to day that "phase 2" lockdown might occur with some restrictions lifted.

As I said earlier, you can really tell who would have gone along with the Nazi regime back in the day.

A total inability to question, to understand an alternative point of view, to see nuance or think for themselves.

They just hear that you're supposed to 'stay home' and they parrot it over and over and feel self righteous that they're doing just as they're told, regardless of other people's possible suffering.

They see someone sitting on a park bench and ring the guards on them, not caring that the person might be terminally ill and wanting some last rays of sun, or escaping a violent partner at home. No, it's just blindly following the rules with them. Everything black and white.

Gotten along with the nazi regime?

If you want to compare it to a war time scenario you can tell who would have frozen, broke down and become a danger to their own platoon.

The restrictions are in place because of a global pandemic that is devastating countries and people. In Madrid over 65 s were given a sedative and let die as there weren't enough ventilators. In Italy the army brought bodies through the streets stacked in many military vehicles. The bodies brought to crematoriums.

Families not allowed in to see their loved ones, doctors and nurses working around the clock and getting sick. Health systems and economies on the brink.

All you need to do is stay home for a few weeks. You. Can still go for a walk, you can still do your shopping and you can still call you friends.

Again a GLOBAL PANDEMIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Some people really can't put up with a little hardship and really do need to learn a little patience. Everyone is affected, some more so than others. It's an extraordinary situation and is temporary; It will pass, a little hardship now will hasten the end of this.

I think people should take this opportunity to look at how they live their lives and reevaluate what is important and appreciate the freedom we normally have.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Some people really can't put up with a little hardship and really do need to learn a little patience. Everyone is affected, some more so than others. It's an extraordinary situation and is temporary; It will pass, a little hardship now will hasten the end of this.

I think people should take this opportunity to look at how they live their lives and reevaluate what is important and appreciate the freedom we normally have.

Right, so law abiding people should be grateful they can go to a restaurant once in a while and play a game of organised team sports. What utter utter drivel. Why would someone appreciate this stuff, its fundamental to life, without it, there is no life

It is black and white right now.
    The best thing to do is stay the hell home.

It’s not exactly hard to stay home.
    You’ll either find a way or an excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I watched the British news for a few hours today and they seem to be hinting at potentially tougher restrictions coming in.

Exit strategy is gradual relaxation of restrictions once the spread has been contained.

I understand that but people are anxious, they will have nothing left by the time this happens. It might suit your life right now, money or family might not be an issue for you but for millions it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I understand that but people are anxious, they will have nothing left by the time this happens. It might suit your life right now, money or family might not be an issue for you but for millions it is.

If we let this thing run rampant and stop all restrictions tomorrow the economy will be just as ****ed maybe even more so, not to mention our health system will be in tatters

VinLieger wrote: »
    If we let this thing run rampant and stop all restrictions tomorrow the economy will be just as ****ed maybe even more so, not to mention our health system will be in tatters

Nobody is saying anything should be lifted tommorrow or anytime soon for all restrictions. It's more to the people who think we can do this for months. How long yourself do you think would be too long with the current restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

It’s understandable that people want answers and certainty but that’s just not going to happen for a while. People need to learn to live with uncertainty in the short-term.

It would be irresponsible of the government to say in 2 weeks the situation will be X and in 4 weeks the situation will be Y and in six months... etc because they can’t predict it with any degree of reliability.

If they did say “here’s what’s going to happen” they’d be lying to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

VinLieger wrote: »

You have seen a post that doesn’t exist.

No one has suggested lifting all restrictions tomorrow.

We can’t however continue restriction’s indefinitely, If we do continue restrictions for months the health system will be in tatters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

ITman88 wrote: »
    You have seen a post that doesn’t exist.

No one has suggested lifting all restrictions tomorrow.

We can’t however continue restriction’s indefinitely, If we do continue restrictions for months the health system will be in tatters

Likewise nobody has suggested the restrictions continue indefinitely. Everyone knows they have to be lifted

The only parts up for discussion are when and how

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Dodge wrote: »
    Likewise nobody has suggested the restrictions continue indefinitely. Everyone knows they have to be lifted

Current/more stringent restrictions until a vaccine has been suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Dodge wrote: »

My guess(timate) assuming we peak this week or early next week. And based on sweet FA.

It's only been a week of heavy(ish) restrictions.

First lifted is the 2 km ban. (early May)

Then non-essential workplaces re-open. There'll be less of them unfortunately. (early May).

Social distancing will probably never be officially rescinded, it'll just happen by osmosis - a government edict cannot undo a million years of evolution.

Lastly, the pubs (mid June to catch what's left(if any) of the tourist season ) and hairdressers (essential but understandably closed)

Come December, the ship will have settled. We can do another election then for the craic.

....and that's me being optimistic with a few beers in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Right, so law abiding people should be grateful they can go to a restaurant once in a while and play a game of organised team sports. What utter utter drivel. Why would someone appreciate this stuff, its fundamental to life, without it, there is no life

You obviously appreciate going to the restaurant and playing or watching sports otherwise you wouldn't be so upset now that you can't go. Everyone misses the simple things they could do before, but, at the moment the restrictions are not unreasonable in attempting to halt the virus.If the restrictions are lifted too early then we will see the number of infections increase again.
    I'd rather spend an extra week now under the restrictions if it means life gets back to normal quicker when the virus is under control

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement