Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭bladespin

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I don't hear of any similar plans being announced here so I can only guess that the Lockdown in Ireland will continue in full for another period of time...

We don't seem to have peaked, at least as far as what was being expected so looks like the measures have (and will continue to work), IMO the 'tight' lockdown will be around for another couple of weeks and then they will relax restriction gradually, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the levels of acceptance to continue indefinitely but relaxing some of the more stringent measures might garner another few weeks good will, hopefully that will be enough.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I don't hear of any similar plans being announced here so I can only guess that the Lockdown in Ireland will continue in full for another period of time...

https://www.ft.com/content/d7025074-496e-4609-84c3-22c000cc41d6

I reckon with current restrictions here remaining to go as well a it currently are, we're about 2-3 weeks behind Austria and we'll see similar easing starting at the beginning of may, and with all staying well, a further easing before the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, an update of sorts:
    WORK IS UNDERWAY on how to ease stay-at-home restrictions and how to restart sections of the economy, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said today.

If the curve is indeed flattening this week then we need to immediately step back down to the previous lockdown level.

If the health services could provide tests to anyone who requires it, and step up contact tracing efforts then we can step back on the lockdown levels again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

bladespin wrote: »
    We don't seem to have peaked, at least as far as what was being expected so looks like the measures have (and will continue to work), IMO the 'tight' lockdown will be around for another couple of weeks and then they will relax restriction gradually, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the levels of acceptance to continue indefinitely but relaxing some of the more stringent measures might garner another few weeks good will, hopefully that will be enough.

These measures are for the good of society, goodwill does not have to be prised out of people, it’s for their good that it’s being done. They need to comply with whatever measures are deemed necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

TheCitizen wrote: »
    These measures are for the good of society, goodwill does not have to be prised out of people, it’s for their good that it’s being done. They need to comply with whatever measures are deemed necessary

Interestingly many experts on behaviour among a population would disagree completely with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

shutting down builders, trades and the hundreds of thousands of related jobs onto the dole! Its so typical of this country, it is over the top. The other closures are all fair enough. This bit is idiocy though in my opinion. To shut everything down. Its not like the cure is a week or two away. This nanny state, let people on this front, make their own choices. The private sector has this mad ability to problem solve and innovate , the public sector and government, wouldnt understand.

I think if this goes on long, when the analysis begins, depending on where all this ends up, but if its somewhere particularly bad, I hope these fools dont make a bad situation, even worse! The conservative attitude here, helps in the initial stages, but I think they have created worse headaches now, than what it is solving. Its all ok saying "take no chances" they or sorry , WE! will be dealing with the personal and state finances fall out from this !

Interestingly many experts on behaviour among a population would disagree completely with you.

Oh of course the trick is to ask them nicely like Mr Wolf in Pulp Fiction; “pretty please with sugar on top, clean the fúckin car”.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    shutting down builders, trades and the hundreds of thousands of related jobs onto the dole! Its so typical of this country, it is over the top. The other closures are all fair enough. This bit is idiocy though in my opinion. To shut everything down. Its not like the cure is a week or two away. This nanny state, let people on this front, make their own choices. The private sector has this mad ability to problem solve and innovate , the public sector and government, wouldnt understand.

I think if this goes on long, when the analysis begins, depending on where all this ends up, but if its somewhere particularly bad, I hope these fools dont make a bad situation, even worse! The conservative attitude here, helps in the initial stages, but I think they have created worse headaches now, than what it is solving. Its all ok saying "take no chances" they or sorry , WE! will be dealing with the personal and state finances fall out from this !

No pleasing some people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

No pleasing some people

No pleasing you either it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Respectfully, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. How is it "so typical of this country"? People usually complain about our government not doing enough, for once we were proactive and I commend Leo and Simon for that. "The private sector has this mad ability to problem solve and innovate" - yeah that's actually just corporations forcing people to work unless they're legally barred, regardless of the health and safety implications. I bet if they didn't close them down and the whole team of builders caught it from eachother and several of them died as a result, you'd say it was ridiculous that the government didn't take action to prevent it.

• Advertisement

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    No pleasing you either it seems

I’m not the one snowflaking pal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The ferry ports and airports are running night and day with people arriving here from more restricted regimes overseas and coming and going from holidays . When o when are they going to start placing restrictions on who can come into the country and doing what they do in other countries - isolate in lockdown facilities not private houses, independently and daily test - and When clear THEN let let roam/ home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Large shopping centers also support 10's of thousands of jobs around Ireland and the UK, so while it's fine and dandy to say "uh keep them closed", that money spent on coffee and lunch pays someones mortgage and bills.

Keeping them completely shut indefinitely is too restrictive, a step-down to the level of lock down we had in Ireland previous to the 27th of March is more sensible.

Except I never said indefinitely, did I? Of course they will reopen eventually. I'm talking about in the next few weeks, when lockdown restrictions are eased not but totally gone.

The focus for the immediate future should be on slowly opening up more and more shops. For now, it's the very basics, but I'd say things like hairdressers and clothes shops and household/garden shops will also need to open back up. The high street is a better place for this and encourage people to get what they need and go - straight in and straight out. Shopping centres, which encourage lingering and shopping as a hobby, are not what is needed at the moment.

Obviously the economy needs leisure activities like shopping centres, cinemas, cafes and pubs, but these are not as important as being able to get hold of things which are essential or semi essential in the short term.

Oh of course the trick is to ask them nicely like Mr Wolf in Pulp Fiction; “pretty please with sugar on top, clean the fúckin car”.

Do you think sarcasm gives your comments greater credibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

No pleasing some people
    I’m not the one snowflaking pal

Mod: Quit the smartarsed commentary. Either contribute something of substance, or don't post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The ferry ports and airports are running night and day with people arriving here from more restricted regimes overseas and coming and going from holidays . When o when are they going to start placing restrictions on who can come into the country and doing what they do in other countries - isolate in lockdown facilities not private houses, independently and daily test - and When clear THEN let let roam/ home.

The amount of people who are coming and going from Ireland unless they are on essential business is very small at this stage. The time to restrict flights and sailings was 5 or 6 weeks ago. That horse has long since bolted. The virus is everywhere in the community now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

So Leo today says

“And like I say, if we remove restrictions, there is a real risk that the virus will start to spread again. But we also know that the restrictions can’t last forever. And we also know that there are secondary consequences to the restrictions too.”

Then after that I read Japan is going to declare a state of emergency for Tokyo, one of the ones that "had a handle on it"

:(

So Leo today says

“And like I say, if we remove restrictions, there is a real risk that the virus will start to spread again. But we also know that the restrictions can’t last forever. And we also know that there are secondary consequences to the restrictions too.”

Then after that I read Japan is going to declare a state of emergency for Tokyo, one of the ones that "had a handle on it"

Japan has prehaps the oldest demographic on the planet. The elderly and ill are the most at risk from this virus. Surprised if Japan escapes relatively unscathed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

Politicians are focused on the optics

Doesn't always equal s great result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

So Leo today says

Probably the same restrictions until May and then remove the 2km limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Lwaker. wrote: »
    Politicians are focused on the optics

Doesn't always equal s great result

exactly! They are taking what they perceive to be the right, but conveniently easier route out now. Lets see when peoples business go past point of rescue etc , if they think it was the right route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

So Leo today says

Japan never really had a hand one the day after the Olympics was cancelled there numbers jumped, the Olympics was more important to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Tokyo has it's population demographics working against it, 20.4% of people were aged 65 or over..

Not to mention Tokyo has 6,263.97 people per square kilometer, Ireland has 72 per Km2, so they have that working against them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

ZX7R wrote: »
    Japan never really had a hand one the day after the Olympics was cancelled there numbers jumped, the Olympics was more important to them

Had the exact same thoughts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

You'd fear for Tokyo if they lose control of it. Then again they have a very very obedient population who will follow instructions in order to minimise the problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

BanditLuke wrote: »
    You'd fear for Tokyo if they lose control of it. Then again they have a very very obedient population who will follow instructions in order to minimise the problem.

Your forgetting Godzilla.

Do you think sarcasm gives your comments greater credibility?

I wasn't being sarcastic. Although the example I used the character Mr Wolf was being sarcastic, (and seems to be getting me into bother) but generally if you want people to do something it's best to ask them nicely and to praise them for their efforts. It's also common courtesy. It is the right thing to do though and it looks like it's working so by hook or by crook, you keep it up as long as needed.

I wasn't being sarcastic. Although the example I used the character Mr Wolf was being sarcastic, (and seems to be getting me into bother) but generally if you want people to do something it's best to ask them nicely and to praise them for their efforts. It's also common courtesy. It is the right thing to do though and it looks like it's working so by hook or by crook, you keep it up as long as needed.

Whether you agree or not there is a limit on how long restrictions like we have in place can continue before you are met with a backlash. By both the populace and the need to start the economy. An indefinite lockdown is impossible and no western government would attempt it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Let’s be realistic here
    Unless deaths are substantial at the end of April it’s time to open all businesses including pubs cafes hotels
    Keep a ban on large crowds until end of July then open that up

This virus may not be seasonal and a vaccine could take 2 years , should we lock down indefinitely

If we stay in lockdown we will destroy our economy and 2008 will seem like a Garden tea party in comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Japan has prehaps the oldest demographic on the planet. The elderly and ill are the most at risk from this virus. Surprised if Japan escapes relatively unscathed.

They have comparatively few cases, though, and they had a head start of at least a month on us. If a lockdown is the answer to everything, why have they had so few cases in spite of taking fairly conservative measures?

Early on they closed tourist sites and schools, and this seems to have hugely slowed the spread compared to the way we did it - do nothing for a few weeks and then close down everything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement