Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    Would you not think our death and ICU figures are managable continuing as we are??
    Be very very careful what you wish for

I never thought i'd see the day when people were welcoming being all but locked in their homes, in China the authorities weld apartment doors so people can't get out, is that what people want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

titan18 wrote: »
    There are people not obeying the current ones so no we shouldn't relax them. Make them more stringent if anything

Virtually nothing is open bar food shops and a few essentials. What else would you like to do? Close those down as well? Because we are pretty much at rock bottom as regards restrictions. Anything else running is pretty much ancillary to the food and medical chain like agriculture and pharma. Next stop is total lockdown and the army drop food to people’s doors from warehouses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

titan18 wrote: »
    There are people not obeying the current ones so no we shouldn't relax them. Make them more stringent if anything

That's not really how people work.

At the moment there's a lot of relying on goodwill and people being decent. If you start taking away any more of people's freedom, they will just start to say 'fcuk it' and stop caring. Right now the vast majority of people are being super careful, super diligent with hand washing and trying really hard. Once the fatigue of isolation sets in, and especially if it's made even stricter, people will just stop trying. These aren't normal times, they're times when many people are already at a low ebb and have lost jobs, businesses, maybe relationships. If this gets much worse, there will be a sense of having nothing to lose.

It's far better to have 95% of the population complying and to deal with the minority who don't, using fines or prosecution or whatever is deemed necessary, than to take everything away from everyone and risk civil unrest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I never thought i'd see the day when people were welcoming being all but locked in their homes, in China the authorities weld apartment doors so people can't get out, is that what people want?

Someone here or on another thread called them the lockdown- fetishists, they just can’t wait for it. They should be careful of what they wish for, freedoms are hard won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

I assume your asking about South Korea? The professor interviewed said some facilities were opening small amounts of time like his sons crèche was open odd days for a couple of hours.

Easing resteictings at the end of the month as you mentioned should be results based and not just because that was the initial date outlined.

The initial date outlined was this weekend, I think we’re all just assuming now that it will be extended another few weeks because it likely was always going to be.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

citysights wrote: »
    Someone here or on another thread called them the lockdown- fetishists, they just can’t wait for it. They should be careful of what they wish for, freedoms are hard won.

Short of getting ton foil hat responses I agree with your sentiment. That people wish to surrender freedom this easily is weird.

Are we not doing ok? Everywhere is fukn shut!

citysights wrote: »

That’s what’s they are. As soon the various sets of restrictions were announced you could see them swarm online demanding the next ones. Pretty much the types that rock up weekly to the post office with a social services card and collect your taxes. No comprehension of the scale of the consequences of all this. And couldn’t care less. Revelling in the final validation of sitting at home watching Netflix or sky finally and being liberated to feel smug about it. Berating the rest of us with actual lives that see that as a huge burden and sacrifice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

There isn't much more we can do bar making a handful of businesses and factories shutting down and tightening the 2km restriction by asking people not to leave the house for exercise

You can forget the army sealing lads in or dropping off food, our military and Gardai don't pass 26,000 personal so you can forget it

Best you'll get is Gardai and Army given powers to aggressively disperse, fine and arrest which will amount to nothing more than city checkpoints and the odd token rural one

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    Short of getting ton foil hat responses I agree with your sentiment. That people wish to surrender freedom this easily is weird.

Are we not doing ok? Everywhere is fukn shut!

The stats on testing will show how well we're doing. Not the fact that everywhere is "fukn shut!". From what I heard the stats are hovering around 400 new cases a day which the real non-tested number being a lot, lot higher.

road_high wrote: »
    you could see them swarm online demanding the next ones. Pretty much the types that rock up weekly to the post office with a social services card and collect your taxes. No comprehension of the scale of the consequences of all this. And couldn’t care less. Revelling in the final validation of sitting at home watching Netflix or sky finally and being liberated to feel smug about it. Berating the rest of us with actual lives that see that as a huge burden and sacrifice

This post doesn't even make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

That’s what’s they are. As soon the various sets of restrictions were announced you could see them swarm online demanding the next ones. Pretty much the types that rock up weekly to the post office with a social services card and collect your taxes.

That's unfair and biased..

I see plenty of people on Facebook, some I know, calling for further or longer restrictions, and a number of these people live in large houses, with gardens the size of a small city park, or have decided to "Self-Isolate" at the holiday home on the scenic West Coast of Ireland, and who would also most likely have the sort of healthy bank balances you'd associate with people who live in large homes or have 2nd homes..

• Advertisement

I see plenty of people on Facebook, some I know, calling for further or longer restrictions, and a number of these people live in large houses, with gardens the size of a small city park, or have decided to "Self-Isolate" at the holiday home on the scenic West Coast of Ireland, and who would also most likely have the sort of healthy bank balances you'd associate with people who live in large homes or have 2nd homes..

More useless posts. Sounds like you've a chip on your shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

in China the authorities weld apartment doors so people can't get out,

No they don't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

Its the working class essentially, most effected by the restrictions, the upper class will not be under any immediate financial constraints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭acequion

Doing lockdowns on a short term basis and extending where necessary is a sensible strategy on the part of Governments. You just cannot announce to an entire population that we're basically all going to be under house arrest for months. People just couldn't hack that and "the one day at a time sweet jesus" really is basic human psychology. Personally,I can't stand the doom merchants and lock down fetishists who will scream at anyone n everyone that we're all fcuked for the foreseeable and I give them a wide berth for the sake of my own sanity.

This really is unbelievably hard on all of us and we have to hope that the end or at least the beginning of the end will soon be in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the buildings and buildings suppliers restrictions, should be lifted immediately. another several hundred thousand on welfare, laughable. The lock it all up merchants, when likely cuts have to be made to welfare later on in the year, will be the first screaming!

There needs to be a middle ground!

for those of you who havent read what approach they are taking in Sweden, it is interesting reading...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120805778/coronavirus-to-swedes-its-the-rest-of-the-world-engaging-in-a-reckless-experiment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The issue with slowly extending it time after time isn't good either

We've had more and more stringent measures almost every week

2 weeks up to Easter, prob at least 2 more minimum

That's a month not to mind other restrictions before thus set

A long tíme for people. Take for instance the travel ban. Very tough on couples in long distance relationships

People want to get back to normality asap

Government relying on goodwill mainly

acequion wrote: »
    Doing lockdowns on a short term basis and extending where necessary is a sensible strategy on the part of Governments. You just cannot announce to an entire population that we're basically all going to be under house arrest for months. People just couldn't hack that and "the one day at a time sweet jesus" really is basic human psychology. Personally,I can't stand the doom merchants and lock down fetishists who will scream at anyone n everyone that we're all fcuked for the foreseeable and I give them a wide berth for the sake of my own sanity.

This really is unbelievably hard on all of us and we have to hope that the end or at least the beginning of the end will soon be in sight.

the thing about the lock down merchants is, they likely fall into the " I am alright jack category" ... If you are suddenly unemployed or pay cut, you accept this in the short term, to put measures in place, but on a very short term basis. Because outside of that, the damage being done, is worse than what it is stopping. Listen, if people want to lock themselves inside, they can knock themselves out. Nobody stopping them...

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The issue with slowly extending it time after time isn't good either

We've had more and more stringent measures almost every week

2 weeks up to Easter, prob at least 2 more minimum

That's a month not to mind other restrictions before thus set

A long tíme for people. Take for instance the travel ban. Very tough on couples in long distance relationships

People want to get back to normality asap

Government relying on goodwill mainly

they will have it inititally, but it will dwindle pretty quick, believe me! The quicker it will dwindle, depends on your circumstance... Fascinating to see how this pans out!

You would wonder, human nature is selfish generally. When the vast vast vast majority wont die and the known vulnerable can cocoon. You'd wonder how long the patience will hold...

Can anyone else hear that echo? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the thing about the lock down merchants is, they likely fall into the " I am alright jack category" ... If you are suddenly unemployed or pay cut, you accept this in the short term, to put measures in place, but on a very short term basis. Because outside of that, the damage being done, is worse than what it is stopping. Listen, if people want to lock themselves inside, they can knock themselves out. Nobody stopping them...
    So conversely you’re saying that you don’t really care what happens as long as your pocket isn’t hit

How is that not the exact same as the ‘I’m alright jack category’. Still just selfishness...

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    So conversely you’re saying that you don’t really care what happens as long as your pocket isn’t hit

How is that not the exact same as the ‘I’m alright jack category’. Still just selfishness...

I hate the nanny state, I agree with most of what they have done so far. But if there plan is to just do nothing now and leave it as is, because they think its the easiest option and the irish government only know the easy option. I foresee it being a mistake and backlash coming. We will only know with hindsight...

We have had poor weak governance here for decades, remember what happened to FFG in the recent election, that didnt come out of nowhere. they may think they are solving a problem now, they are building up a hell of a problem if they think this current level of lockdown is viable for much longer, on several fronts. If people have some light at end of tunnel, they will wait it out a bit....

It seems like yesterday we left that bloody horrendous recession, then the brexit bull**** and now this! I hope they dont send us into total possibly avoidable recession!

Dodge wrote: »

every pocket is going to be hit ultimately. My initial concern is peoples safety and well being. But I dont think the current level of lock down makes sense. Basically at this moment in time, I am referring to the building and related sector, several hundred thousand jobs. That should not have been stopped probably at all in my opinion, but now that it has been, they need to get it going asap. There is only so much intervention, before it becomes OTT and does far more damage than good.

the buildings and buildings suppliers restrictions, should be lifted immediately. another several hundred thousand on welfare, laughable. The lock it all up merchants, when likely cuts have to be made to welfare later on in the year, will be the first screaming!

There needs to be a middle ground!

for those of you who havent read what approach they are taking in Sweden, it is interesting reading...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120805778/coronavirus-to-swedes-its-the-rest-of-the-world-engaging-in-a-reckless-experiment

I think a lot of construction could have carried on- a lot of it is carried in relative isolation anyhow in non confined spaces. Same for many other workplaces. With sensible precautions. But alas no. The Shinnerz and co had to whip up a massive frenzy and it all had to be shuttered throwing tens of thousands on welfare. It’s going to be a slow process to get it all back going again. Lots of places won’t reopen now anyhow as funds etc are pulled and people get the jitters.
    A relative was working various short term contracts fitting out shops all stopped and can’t see a big rush for that to start up again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Whatever happens we will be on lock down fir another 2 weeks, Austria are taking about opening up some shops after 6 days of decline, we are still rising.

I think a lot of construction could have carried on- a lot of it is carried in relative isolation anyhow in non confined spaces. Same for many other workplaces. With sensible precautions. But alas no. The Shinnerz and co had to whip up a massive frenzy and it all had to be shuttered throwing tens of thousands on welfare. It’s going to be a slow process to get it all back going again. Lots of places won’t reopen miw anyhow as funds etc are pulled and people get the jitters

I totally agree, places if things return to semi normal, could be salvaged, many businesses. This is going to send things into a bloody bad downward spiral and wait till you hear all of the crying later on, when the ramifications of this, come home to roost!

There is a middle ground between our current set ups and swedens IMO. and that was the one, before the newer restrictions were announced, that was the middle ground IMO...

the known vulnerable can cocoon.

They can try but it won't work and they will likely die in similar numbers to if the virus was just allowed to let rip...

They can try but it won't work and they will likely die in similar numbers to if the virus was just allowed to let rip...

yeah thats peoples choice though, people can deliver food and essentials to them.... Like nobody is asking them to leave their homes, if they dont want too....

I totally agree, places if things return to semi normal, could be salvaged, many businesses. This is going to send things into a bloody bad downward spiral and wait till you hear all of the crying later on, when the ramifications of this, come home to roost!

There is a middle ground between our current set ups and swedens IMO. and that was the one, before the newer restrictions were announced, that was the middle ground IMO...

Why do you think your medical opinion was ignored?

Is it about half that are under 60 in ICU?

• Advertisement

yeah thats peoples choice though, people can deliver food and essentials to them.... Like nobody is asking them to leave their homes, if they dont want too....

A huge proportion of elderly, particularly elderly with chronic but not currently life-threatening health issues, live with children/grandchildren. Do you think it's feasible for them to 'cocoon' while the rest of the household goes about their business and likely contracts the virus?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement