Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Danzy wrote: »
    Why do you think your medical opinion was ignored?

I am not talking about my medical opinion. Time will tell if they are going about this in a good way, I dont agree with all of the current restrictions. The swedes have roughly the same amount of deaths as here per head of population. Guess what? they havent shut everything down and just go about things in a sensible manner. But what would the Swedes know about good health care etc right? they should send them over here, to learn a thing from the morons running the show here the last few decades, they can learn a few lessons from the HSE, wouldnt you agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yeah thats peoples choice though, people can deliver food and essentials to them.... Like nobody is asking them to leave their homes, if they dont want too....

If anything it would make life easier for the more vulnerable- life could return to some semblance of normality making it a lot easier for services and family/friends to drop supplies to their doorsteps and they can stay safe in their homes until the threat drops sufficiently. In reality that’s probably what will be the advice anyhow

A huge proportion of elderly, particularly elderly with chronic but not currently life-threatening health issues, live with children/grandchildren. Do you think it's feasible for them to 'cocoon' while the rest of the household goes about their business and likely contracts the virus?

a huge proportion? I think people in a household, should do what makes sense for that household... If you are sharing with elderly parents or whatever, yeah going back down to the local, probably shouldnt be the first thing on the agenda, everyone has different circumstances...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭acequion

Dodge wrote: »
    So conversely you’re saying that you don’t really care what happens as long as your pocket isn’t hit

How is that not the exact same as the ‘I’m alright jack category’. Still just selfishness...

It's not selfishness. It's simply looking at the situation from all sides and realising that lockdown may well be a case of the cure being as bad as the disease.And perhaps worse than the disease if it goes on for too long. As many have said, we will eventually have to find a middle ground.

A huge proportion of elderly, particularly elderly with chronic but not currently life-threatening health issues, live with children/grandchildren. Do you think it's feasible for them to 'cocoon' while the rest of the household goes about their business and likely contracts the virus?

I think a bit of personal responsibility should kick in here then. If you have elderly dependents then don’t expose them to any unnecessary risks and if necessary lockdown with them depending on the level of care they need

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    I think a bit of personal responsibility should kick in here then. If you have elderly dependents then don’t expose them to any unnecessary risks and if necessary lockdown with them depending on the level of care they need

thanks, you have put it more eloquently than I did! Imagine a country where these was common sense and people took responsibility! As far away as from what this country has become, as is imaginable!

Have their been any compensation claims against Mr corona virus yet I wonder? Maria Bailey might put in a claim, as its the latest thing to put her out of work...

thanks, you have put it more eloquently than I did! Imagine a country where these was common sense and people took responsilibty! As far away as from what this country has become, as is imaginable!

Have their been any court claims against Mr corona virus yet I wonder? Maria Bailey might put in a claim, as its the latest thing to put her out of work...

Well it beats closing down every thing indefinitely and putting everyone on the dole which we can’t afford to do for very long. Which would appear to be the Lockdown fetishists only approach. I’d like to see a gradual return back to starting where we were over two weeks ago which was very restricted in itself. So much has closed now that was mainly pointless and should start back up as appropriate. I despair with suggestions of even further measures as you’re down to martial law levels of existence by then

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/its-worth-the-sacrifice-for-the-next-few-weeks-taoiseach-indicates-lockdown-past-april-12-39106942.html

'It's worth the sacrifice for the next few weeks' - Taoiseach indicates lockdown past April 12

They are signing the deathnell for many businesses and are going to destroy the economy again, my issue with the economy, isnt primarily about seeing the $$$, look at the societal cost, the last time the economy imploded!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Remember these measures are not the law they are merely guidelines/recommendations from the government. If the Guards stop you and ask you where you are going you are perfectly in your right to ask them under what act and they will not be able to tell you. The Gardai have even admitted to this. You do not have to stay within 2km of your home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Well it beats closing down every thing indefinitely and putting everyone on the dole which we can’t afford to do for very long. Which would appear to be the Lockdown fetishists only approach. I’d like to see a gradual return back to starting where we were over two weeks ago which was very restricted in itself. So much has closed now that was mainly pointless and should start back up as appropriate. I despair with suggestions of even further measures as you’re down to martial law levels of existence by then
    thats the reason there wont be any more measure put in, what was the number that are on the dole now close to 800k, any further restrictions, would raise that over 2-3mill overnight, not accounting for long term implications this would create drain hole that 2008 would look like walk in a park comparison, to get out off.

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    thats the reason there wont be any more measure put in, what was the number that are on the dole now close to 800k, any further restrictions, would raise that over 2-3mill overnight, not accounting for long term implications this would create drain hole that 2008 would look like walk in a park comparison, to get out off.

the measures they have now, are not viable for anything other than extreme short term. This time they are also up to their necks in national debt!

The big issue is here, they have no vision here... They will adopt the, "we will deal with those issues later" approach... When they start destroying businesses, society etc, to prevent a few covid deaths, people wont thank them for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

There is no comparison between the financial crash and the present experience, to suggest there is is rank stupidity.

The financial crash was more damaging to the economy than this crisis will be hopefully. I didn’t suggest that it was the same in every aspect, it’s rank stupidity on your part I would suggest to fail to pick up on that.

Lockdown fetishists? The hysteria is reaching hyperbole on this thread. Might be a good idea to shut the off licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Lockdown fetishists? The hysteria is reaching hyperbole on this thread. Might be a good idea to shut the off licences.
    you been warned by mod before today, so hopefully moderator sees your stirring **** and keep going off topic for your own sick agenda. reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

People are turning though, the number that are doing so is getting bigger by the day.

niallo27 wrote: »
    People are turning though, the number that are doing so is getting bigger by the day.

Turning to what? There’s no evidence of any such thing, it’s just a few posters on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Turning to what? There’s no evidence of any such thing, it’s just a few posters on boards

Its slowly turning to the majority on this thread. Few people I have talked to are getting quiet angry with the situation with nobody having a clue what the plan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I say 3 more (including this week) of this and then a relaxation of some places been able to open up as long as they can do the guidelines of social distancing.

Pubs and clubs to remain close as be impossible to enforce in them.

Parks beaches etc to be patrolled to make sure social distancing well be enforced.

All of this is of course if people follow the rules for the 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/its-worth-the-sacrifice-for-the-next-few-weeks-taoiseach-indicates-lockdown-past-april-12-39106942.html

'It's worth the sacrifice for the next few weeks' - Taoiseach indicates lockdown past April 12

They are signing the deathnell for many businesses and are going to destroy the economy again, my issue with the economy, isnt primarily about seeing the $$$, look at the societal cost, the last time the economy imploded!

The lockdown is damage limitation, that's why it is being done, it sure as **** isn't about saving a few thousand lives.

They are taking the path of least economic and social damage.

Its slowly turning to the majority on this thread. Few people I have talked to are getting quiet angry with the situation with nobody having a clue what the plan is.

theyll likely freeze things as are, for no valid reason for all of the restrictions currently in place, that will be their "plan" We get hit by the corona virus bus and they are going to throw us under the recession bus now aswell...

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    you been warned by mod before today, so hopefully moderator sees your stirring **** and keep going off topic for your own sick agenda. reported.

You’re reporting that post? I’m stirring **** by referring to someone coming up with a phrase like lockdown fetishists as being off? Why would anyone want a lockdown? Why would the government and the powers that be want to shut the economy down temporarily unless they had to?

I think a few posters on here have taken leave of their senses and need to chill out and recognise that the restrictions are working and that we’re hopefully getting back to a place where restrictions can be lifted soon.

You’re reporting that post? I’m stirring **** by referring to someone coming up with a phrase like lockdown fetishists as being off? Why would anyone want a lockdown? Why would the government and the powers that be want to shut the economy down temporarily unless they had to?

I think a few posters on here have taken leave of their senses and need to chill out and recognise that the restrictions are working and that we’re hopefully getting back to a place where restrictions can be lifted soon.

why cant idiotic decisions like shutting down building, the trades and the hundreds of thousands of related jobs in supply, not be overturned immediately? no... lets do more damage...

re-open building suppliers etc and let many people bored off their tits at home, do jobs around the house / garden...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I don't think so. It's a sh*t situation we're all in. If BoJo or some other high profile person dies we'll be locked in for weeks more.

The UK is going gangbusters with cases and deaths, France too. Until us and our neighbours show a consistent decline then social restrictions will stay in place.

All were doing is prolonging this and taking pressure off the hospitals, we're not curing this or defeating this. There'll be no vaccine this side of Xmas.
    why cant idiotic decisions like shutting down building, the trades and the hundreds of thousands of related jobs in supply, not be overturned immediately? no... lets do more damage...

re-open building suppliers etc and let many people bored off their tits at home, do jobs around the house / garden...

Because people by and large are idiots. If you start opening some shops, they'll be flooded with people just out of boredom. Think of the thousands who go for a wander around shopping centres at the weekend.

I think that some shops should do a call and collect service though. Minimal staff, even do a minimum order amount or something.

The plan is clearly being spelled out to them with regular updates. They want to see it beyond the peak and then they can give a guestimate on restrictions beginning to be lifted. A contributor on Virgin Media tonight suggested end of May. It was a guesstimate from an expert on the situation. I think if we get to then with as few lives lost as possible and the health service not reaching meltdown we’ll have done a great job. We need to keep the head to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You need to argue your case with evidence rather than feelings and opinions.

You have the certainty of the pub drunk but we need clear decisions based on what is rather than what we want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

They are only doing because everywhere else in Europe is doing it especially the UK. Our government will always follow the herd and will never take a more innovative approach to anything like Sweden who would often take a different approach to all sorts of matters than the rest of Europe.

I am convinced the "lockdown" was only going to be done as soon as the UK did it and it was as it was done a few day after the UK. You watch if the UK imposes further restrictive measures Ireland will soon follow suit regardless of the number of infections and they will take the same approach as the UK when it comes to eventually lifting the "restrictions".

You think it’s idiotic. Did you see what happened in Italy and Spain where they had to decide that ventilators were to be given primarily to those under 70? We’re doing these restrictions in the hopes that won’t happen here.

I’mistening to an “ expert “ from hse. Saying there are less cases than they expected even a week ago. The ventilator production globally has gone through roof...

GT89 wrote: »
    They are only doing because everywhere else in Europe is doing it especially the UK. Our government will always follow the herd and will never take a more innovative approach to anything like Sweden who would often take a different approach to all sorts of matters than the rest of Europe.

I am convinced the "lockdown" was only going to be done as soon as the UK did it and it was as it was done a few day after the UK. You watch if the UK imposes further restrictive measures Ireland will soon follow suit regardless of the number of infections and they will take the same approach as the UK when it comes to eventually lifting the "restrictions".

We closed schools before the UK. The UK came in for criticism for a slow initial response with schools open and sporting events going ahead. They changed tack after that, so it’s inaccurate to say we only copied what the UK did on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I’mistening to an “ expert “ from hse. Saying there are less cases than they expected even a week ago. The ventilator production globally has gone through roof...

I wonder where we would be without restrictions?
    Looking at the deaths per pop. we're fortunately better than most of Europe. UK has twice as many deaths per million as us.
    Hopefully we can keep this up for a few more weeks until the overall global situation is clearer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement