Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Tenzor07 wrote: »

But the laws are still open to interpretation regarding elderly care etc travel outside 2km of home

We were doing just fine, the ICU was coping.

Certain posters are overjoyed with the ruling.

Is it now up to the interpretation of individual Gardaí?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Pretzill wrote: »
    But the restrictions may actually get tougher - so putting the last two weeks into perspective is important.

Restrictions have been in place since Leo's speech on March 12th

You can't discount that time for people

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

Nothing screams privileged more than thinking these guidelines are too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭boetstark

They took their eyes off the ball at the beginning of this ****storm but in fairness they have stepped up to the plate over the last 4 weeks or so.

In fairness the whole country has stepped up in a big way. Yes we still have a few idiots out and about flouting restrictions. In general we can be very proud of how we have reacted to this crisis.
    Small thinks like priority given to our healthvcare workers in shops etc. Free colouring books posted out to kids gaa clubs, the list is endless.
    When this is over just maybe Ireland will be a better more caring society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Sorry but badly needed. I know we need to look what to do beyond lockdown but when the restrictions were in place the amount of Dubs and Limerick ones coming for a "break" to our beaches so much so the council has barriers blocking off access with 2 weeks

There was even local "enforcement" groups stopping non local cars. Our local Gardai turned a blind eye when the middle aged Dublin waggons and Limerick knacks went screaming to the Gardai

I hear in Connemara now anyone that's recognised as not being local is being refused service in some shops. Even accents and reg plates are being used

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

In your opinion....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is an indication of privilege.

You think someone living in a tiny flat in a tower block, in severe distress, with OCD or severe depression gives a flying f**k about having the internet at home? If they're feeling up to using it at all, they're probably googling about the virus and making themselves feel even worse.

If you're well enough and comfortable enough to be able to focus on watching a Netflix series or baking bread, you should realise that not everyone is in the same boat. You're looking at this from your own perspective, of having the comfort and the luxuries to just enjoy a bit of downtime.

I don't know why so many people keep insisting that those who are suffering are 'snowflakes' or spoiled, when the reality is the complete opposite. Those who are suffering are the most likely to have mental and physical health problems, be living in poverty, in inadequate cramped housing with no outside space, or with abusive partners or family.

What percentage of people (ballpark) fall in to the category of this being a crippling scenario, or it being an inconvenience?

There is absolutely no doubt but that there are some who are really struggling, but that does not mean we should ignore the situation at hand and the fact that in Ireland, the vast majority are not. Not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

BanditLuke wrote: »
    FG gone right up in my estimation after tonight tbh. They are doing an outstanding job.

I bet if you were in Germany in the 1930's you'd have been listening to your walls, twitching the curtains and reporting to the Gestapo.

This is not the Irish way.

boetstark wrote: »
    When this is over just maybe Ireland will be a better more caring society

We were pretty caring before.

However I wouldn’t be expecting Christmas cards from the IRA when this is over

What percentage of people (ballpark) fall in to the category of this being a crippling scenario, or it being an inconvenience?

There is absolutely no doubt but that there are some who are really struggling, but that does not mean we should ignore the situation at hand and the fact that in Ireland, the vast majority are not. Not even close.
    It's amusing unless I'm wrong you are living in America commenting to someone living in London about the situation in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Our local Gardai turned a blind eye when the middle aged Dublin waggons and Limerick knacks went screaming to the Gardai

I’ve agreed with nearly all your posts so far.

However, I can assure you the upgrade of the law will not effect the actions of that minority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I bet if you were in Germany in the 1930's you'd have been listening to your walls, twitching the curtains and reporting to the Gestapo.

This is not the Irish way.

FFS Godwin's Law already

FFS Godwin's Law already

Nah it was mentioned before, Godwin's law is no longer an unusual or intelligent response tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ITman88 wrote: »
    However, I can assure you the upgrade of the law will not effect the actions of that minority

I've seen plenty of unmarked Garda cars in the area recently, I will be interested to see if they will now stop the lads racing Scramblers and Quads, and the groups of male teens cycling around in groups with the hoods up... The sorts who unlike most us are used to encounters with the Gards and have no fear of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

People finding these restrictions easier are the least privileged? Really? I somehow doubt that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

ITman88 wrote: »

Knacks, probably not

You'd be surprised at how many "middle class" types are coming for a "break" to their holiday homes or caravan and I can tell you anything that keeps them away is well worth it

Galway, Clare, Kerry, Cork and Wexford in particular were buggered by these types

In my opinion it's the fact it's the Easter weekend and good weather coming is the reason they have chosen to enact this now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

There is absolutely no doubt that there are some who are dying, but that does not mean that we should ignore the situation in hand and the fact that in Ireland, the vast majority are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The main problem here is that people are out of work or will be out of work soon and they are worried how they will pay their mortgages and bills. This is the major issue, its not that they want a pint or have run out of things to watch on netflix.

where will the €2,500 fines be going exactly?

the 2.1km hardened criminals better watch out.

It's amusing unless I'm wrong you are living in America commenting to someone living in London about the situation in Ireland.

Yes. The world in 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Nah it was mentioned before, Godwin's law is no longer an unusual or intelligent response tbh.

I wasn't going for unusual and intelligence really has nothing to do with it - perhaps there's a pervasive lack of cop on being shown in this thread, it's simple - if people are so fed up with the way things are go out, go on knock yourself out - re-open businesses, inniate herd immunity - see how many will survive it then. This is a horrendous disease when it attacks lungs - our health service won't cope if thousands start becoming unwell in the community and then it won't just be covid it will be any health emergency that is high risk - So you do what you think is right for you -

polesheep wrote: »
    There is absolutely no doubt that there are some who are dying, but that does not mean that we should ignore the situation in hand and the fact that in Ireland, the vast majority are not.

So I take it you are suggesting we should ignore the contagion capacity of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

glasso wrote: »
    where will the €2,500 fines be going exactly?
    the 2.1km hardened criminals better watch out.

If you're lucky enough to have a job and a paycheck, out of that i'd say..

If you're the sort that isn't afraid of the Gards then they probably won't stop you, what's the point of adding another conviction to an already long list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

A lot more than you seem to think.
    I wasn't going for unusual and intelligence really has nothing to do with it - perhaps there's a pervasive lack of cop on being shown in this thread, it's simple - if people are so fed up with the way things are go out, go on knock yourself out - re-open businesses, inniate herd immunity - see how many will survive it then. This is a horrendous disease when it attacks lungs - our health service won't cope if thousands start becoming unwell in the community and then it won't just be covid it will be any health emergency that is high risk - So you do what you think is right for you -

Very few people are advocating for just stopping the lockdown now. The question is, when we do we stop it? It's obvious that at some point the aim IS going to be for people just to get the virus, but without the health system being totally overwhelmed. Things will reopen before a vaccine is found. This isn't a question of if, it's a question of when, and some people on here seem blissfully ignorant of this.

I am doing what's right for me and following the expert advice. Going to work everyday like I have done for the last 23 years. Going for my usual 5 k each morning and a stroll in the evening. Saying hello to neighbours and a few beers at home on the weekend. I can do all this because my work is essential and I live in the countryside. I don't presume to tell anyone this is easy or this is hard.

So I take it you are suggesting we should ignore the contagion capacity of the virus.

I think Ireland and her people have a good handle on things. You should be more concerned about how your own President has handled and is continuing to handle things at present. It would be ironic if Trump caught the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

This is an indication of privilege.

You think someone living in a tiny flat in a tower block, in severe distress, with OCD or severe depression gives a flying f**k about having the internet at home? If they're feeling up to using it at all, they're probably googling about the virus and making themselves feel even worse.

If you're well enough and comfortable enough to be able to focus on watching a Netflix series or baking bread, you should realise that not everyone is in the same boat. You're looking at this from your own perspective, of having the comfort and the luxuries to just enjoy a bit of downtime.

I don't know why so many people keep insisting that those who are suffering are 'snowflakes' or spoiled, when the reality is the complete opposite. Those who are suffering are the most likely to have mental and physical health problems, be living in poverty, in inadequate cramped housing with no outside space, or with abusive partners or family.

I think that’s a good point Lainey about someone living in a tower flat in a tiny space. Friend of mine was saying we are lucky not to be in that situation but was saying it must be very difficult to be in a flat with a couple of children and not being able to properly get out.

Granted it’s an unprecedented situation and not ideal for any one. I know people with autistic children ( on the higher end of the spectrum) who go to school everyday and are now at home with their parents and I am wondering genuinely how the parents are coping.

These things should not be overlooked, on a positive note we have really good people here and surely a way can be found to move forward.

Sorry but badly needed. I know we need to look what to do beyond lockdown but when the restrictions were in place the amount of Dubs and Limerick ones coming for a "break" to our beaches so much so the council has barriers blocking off access with 2 weeks

There was even local "enforcement" groups stopping non local cars. Our local Gardai turned a blind eye when the middle aged Dublin waggons and Limerick knacks went screaming to the Gardai

I hear in Connemara now anyone that's recognised as not being local is being refused service in some shops. Even accents and reg plates are being used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I'm pointing out how easy it is to dismiss the minority out of hand, if one chose to do so. As you did.

• Advertisement

I think Ireland and her people have a good handle on things. You should be more concerned about how your own President has handled and is continuing to handle things at present. It would be ironic if Trump caught the virus.

Would you ever take off with this nonsense. I am Irish, am currently living in the US while all my friends and family are located back home or in other countries around the world.

They didn't ask me to leave any interest or compassion in the bin when I was walking through security at the airport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement