Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Society will change forever after this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Society will change forever after this.

Unlikely. People are complaining about restrictions , people want life to return to normal. Few months after this passes society will be the same as always. The rat race will return!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Same stuff again this morning in here that's been repeatedly explained on here.

The Mater ICU may be full this morning, but it's full of patients who got infected weeks ago. Some of those patients may have got infected when the pubs were still open. There is a lag firstly between infection and development of symptoms, and secondly between development of symptoms and ICU admission. There are variations in how long this lag is, but the people who are in there unwell today did not get infected this morning or yesterday.

The limited evidence to date, that is the contact tracing showing reduced numbers of contacts, along with declining new case growth are evidence that the measures are having a positive impact on the outbreak. There is ZERO benefit to additional measures until the current measures have been evaluated. The "lockdown" began at midnight on March 28th. We won't know for sure the outcome of the lockdown until circa. April 17th. However, until then, we have evidence from other countries that the measures we have employed have had positive impacts elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

ITman88 wrote: »
    The only demographic affected by the laws put in power last night are civilised well meaning people.

The scumbags will still be scumbags.

Curtain twitching Cathy will now, however, be able to report her neighbours to Gardaí for walking her dog too far down the road

100% this.

The regulations don't even make that much sense and are actually discriminatory against those who don't have the physical ability to 'exercise' as well as those who have no private garden or balcony.

I'm currently having a flare up of my long term illness so not able to jog or cycle this week. I live in a flat with no outside space, but I'm not allowed to take a blanket down to the small square nearby and sit on the grass with a book for half an hour to get some sun on my face and some air, keeping well away from any other people.

So if I want to get out of the flat at all, I'm forced to walk on crowded pavements, with joggers panting in my face and people passing by too closely. Far riskier than sitting in a quiet park for me and for others.

People sitting on their own minding their own business are not the problem, they're just an easy target. The police could actually do their job and fine the people who are ripping the p1ss, but instead we all have to stay inside during this lovely weather, to the detriment of physical and mental health. Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,388 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

People die every die of causes that could be stopped if required. Smoking related illness, tracfic accidents ect. We don't stop smoking or people driving their car. We try and mitigate the risk with controls like the pub smoking ban and speed limits ect.

Do smoking and road deaths pass from one person to the next and grow exponentially?

No? Oh ok, so they're not the same thing at all then, cool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Anyone who thinks that restrictions can be lifted and people can return to mingling as normal BEFORE there is a zero instance of new community related infections is deluded.

The backlash of introducing a second wave of this unnecessarily will deter any politician from prematurely opening restrictions. In my opinion we are at least 1 month after zero community related infections from opening up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Witcher wrote: »
    Do smoking and road deaths pass from one person to the next and grow exponentially?

Of course they don't, but congrats on complexly missing the point. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Important to also note that smoking and driving are both choices. If you don't smoke or drive, those risks are mitigated. You cannot, however, control if someone passes the virus to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Restrictions will begin to ease in a few weeks as soon as there is sufficient testing and contact tracing in place.

There will probably be days after the easing of restrictions where there will be more than 36 people dying. While its sad for the families, it'll just be the new normal for the next few months/years until this goes away.

People die every die of causes that could be stopped if required. Smoking related illness, tracfic accidents ect. We don't stop smoking or people driving their car. We try and mitigate the risk with controls like the pub smoking ban and speed limits ect. The same will be true for this as soon as the get the facility in place, and until that is we'll have to put up with the current restrictions.

Nazi alert.

Anything else you want our government stopping people doing, willy nilly like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Cyrus wrote: »
    the restrictions will start to be lifted, if not on Sunday, then the following weekend,

itll be a gradual thing and we may end up taking one step forward and two back at points but rest assured thats what will happen

You're deluded if you think restrictions will begin to be lifted on Sunday. Rest assured, that is NOT what will happen.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Nazi alert.

Anything else you want our government stopping people doing, willy nilly like?

What does he want the government to stop us doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

rm212 wrote: »
    Important to also note that smoking and driving are both choices. If you don't smoke or drive, those risks are mitigated. You cannot, however, control if someone passes the virus to you.

You can cocoon.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that restrictions can be lifted and people can return to mingling as normal BEFORE there is a zero instance of new community related infections is deluded.

The backlash of introducing a second wave of this unnecessarily will deter any politician from prematurely opening restrictions. In my opinion we are at least 1 month after zero community related infections from opening up again.

What did they do in Wuhan? They're pretty much fully open now, with a few exceptions, trains operating, flights leaving, restaurants back up and running. It's only been about 3 months for them from beginning to end. Why do people think our lockdown is going to be months and months?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

easypazz wrote: »
    You can cocoon.

Yes, if the government supports people doing that. Most people cannot cocoon if society re-opens as normal just as the poster I was referring to is suggesting; they will have to go back to work and crowded commutes in order to survive. You can survive without smoking or driving.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

What did they do in Wuhan? They're pretty much fully open now, with a few exceptions, trains operating, flights leaving, restaurants back up and running. It's only been about 3 months for them from beginning to end. Why do people think our lockdown is going to be months and months?

Well the data out of there is not 100% clear.

Lets see how they get on with opening it up. Their restrictions were a lot different than ours and they are reporting no community based infections only foreign travellers

Because people stayed in their houses in Wuhan or they risked getting a bullet to the face. Here some people are taking the complete piss out of it and going about as normal despite being asked and advised not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

ITman88 wrote: »
    The only demographic affected by the laws put in power last night are civilised well meaning people.

The scumbags will still be scumbags.

Curtain twitching Cathy will now, however, be able to report her neighbours to Gardaí for walking her dog too far down the road

I have no doubt people would be flocking down holiday hot spots if tougher plans weren’t implemented for the weekend. Some people I know are complaining about the economy and at the same time they are not adhering to social distancing guidelines, it’s like they just can’t do what is asked of them for a few weeks. Still going to other people’s houses, meeting people for walks etc because ‘they are bored’.

There are kids from different families mixing with each other and these aren’t ‘scumbags’. I know it’s difficult for people not be able to go somewhere or do something but Jesus can they not just do what they’ve been asked to do for a few weeks

Because people stayed in their houses in Wuhan or they risked getting a bullet to the face. Here some people are taking the complete piss out of it and going about as normal despite being asked and advised not to.

Who is 'going about as normal'? I'm in London, not Ireland, but I have barely seen anyone 'going about as normal'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If the guards don't have checkpoints on the M50/M8/M11/M1 it'll be a failure on the states part to stop the virus spread out of Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

If and when there is another wave of the virus then they will go right back to full lockdown again as will any other area of China.

• Advertisement

100% this.

The regulations don't even make that much sense and are actually discriminatory against those who don't have the physical ability to 'exercise' as well as those who have no private garden or balcony.

I'm currently having a flare up of my long term illness so not able to jog or cycle this week. I live in a flat with no outside space, but I'm not allowed to take a blanket down to the small square nearby and sit on the grass with a book for half an hour to get some sun on my face and some air, keeping well away from any other people.

So if I want to get out of the flat at all, I'm forced to walk on crowded pavements, with joggers panting in my face and people passing by too closely. Far riskier than sitting in a quiet park for me and for others.

People sitting on their own minding their own business are not the problem, they're just an easy target. The police could actually do their job and fine the people who are ripping the p1ss, but instead we all have to stay inside during this lovely weather, to the detriment of physical and mental health. Cool.

It’s not people sitting on their own that will be targeted. It’s the people that will be driving to different locations to where they live and people gathering in large groups. Someone sitting on their own in a quiet spot isn’t going to be an issue. We haven’t been told “ you must stay indoors or on your own property at all times”. The government don’t want people flocking to holiday hotspots or beaches that will be packed. I don’t think it’s that unreasonable. The more we stick to guidelines the more the healthcare system can prepare for managing this on a day to day basis and we can go back to normal

Who is 'going about as normal'? I'm in London, not Ireland, but I have barely seen anyone 'going about as normal'.

Probably because you've been in your house as you should.

Lads having a BBQ like it's a holiday ffs:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

If the guards don't have checkpoints on the M50/M8/M11/M1 it'll be a failure on the states part to stop the virus spread out of Dublin.

That is just what the Gardaí are planning to do as will be the case on all the primary roads in the country.

They’ve had extremely strict controls. People were not allowed to leave their houses unless for food medicine, at times I wonder if this was even allowed. Furthermore anyone found with a temperature or symptoms was taken from their home and quarantined as suspected Covid19 patient. Quarantine was mandatory. Even walking into a bus or into a shop people were scanned for temperatures

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

That is just what the Gardaí are planning to do as will be the case on all the primary roads in the country.

I'm working tomorrow. Essential services list. I will be traveling from Dublin city to west Sligo and back. How many checkpoints will I meet? I doubt il meet any at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

marno21 wrote: »
    Same stuff again this morning in here that's been repeatedly explained on here.

The Mater ICU may be full this morning, but it's full of patients who got infected weeks ago. Some of those patients may have got infected when the pubs were still open. There is a lag firstly between infection and development of symptoms, and secondly between development of symptoms and ICU admission. There are variations in how long this lag is, but the people who are in there unwell today did not get infected this morning or yesterday.

The limited evidence to date, that is the contact tracing showing reduced numbers of contacts, along with declining new case growth are evidence that the measures are having a positive impact on the outbreak. There is ZERO benefit to additional measures until the current measures have been evaluated. The "lockdown" began at midnight on March 28th. We won't know for sure the outcome of the lockdown until circa. April 17th. However, until then, we have evidence from other countries that the measures we have employed have had positive impacts elsewhere.

Only if the testing shambles is fixed though. We could be counting cases on April 17th that had been infected as much as two weeks before. We need as near to real time test results as possible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

And what about how many people are crammed into a train carriage at once, how many people are allowed into a shop at once, if the cinema is reopened how many seats do they fill, are bars back open again?

There is a difference between the lifting of a lockdown and things being back to normal, or what we were doing 4 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

A better indicator than confirmed cases in telling us where we are at might be the number of suspected cases - how many people rang GPs or hotlines in a 24 hour period with suspected symptoms of covid19. If this goes up then restrictions should remain. If it goes down consistently then there are probably less people being infected.

Waiting for confirmed tests to use as a metric is just too unreliable given the lag effect. Some people might have been infected weeks ago. We should still test of course but using it as a basis to lift restrictions is probably meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

A better indicator than confirmed cases in telling us where we are at might be the number of suspected cases - how many people rang GPs or hotlines in a 24 hour period with suspected symptoms of covid19. If this goes up then restrictions should remain. If it goes down consistently then there are probably less people being infected.

Waiting for confirmed tests to use as a metric is just too unreliable given the lag effect. Some people might have been infected weeks ago. We should still test of course but using it as a basis to lift restrictions is probably meaningless.

Surely you can’t say using confirmed cases is too unreliable and also think that using how many people rang a hotline would be better at telling us where we’re at?

• Advertisement

frillyleaf wrote: »
    It’s not people sitting on their own that will be targeted. It’s the people that will be driving to different locations to where they live and people gathering in large groups. Someone sitting on their own in a quiet spot isn’t going to be an issue. We haven’t been told “ you must stay indoors or on your own property at all times”. The government don’t want people flocking to holiday hotspots or beaches that will be packed. I don’t think it’s that unreasonable. The more we stick to guidelines the more the healthcare system can prepare for managing this on a day to day basis and we can go back to normal

Maybe it's different in Ireland but people sitting alone have absolutely been targeted here in London, either by police or by other people. A woman in Belgium was fined for sitting in the sun reading a book in a deserted area, nowhere near anyone.

I think the once-a-day 'exercise' should include being able to go and sit on a blanket in the park or on a park bench, alone. The current policy is very discriminatory against those not able to visibly exercise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement