Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Far less ludicrous than the current system of posting new cases even though most were infected 2 weeks ago and in the German cases possibly 3-4 weeks ago.

I hope the government are not deciding on restrictions based on newly confirmed cases as they are hopelessly out of date.

We need to see more up to date trends. ICU admissions and deaths only tells us again who was infected two weeks ago.

How to determine more up to date trends is the key to lifting or imposing restrictions. And so far we don't really have any reliable way of doing that. So literally the only one we have is how many people are today reporting symptoms of covid 19. Not a runny nose, a sneeze or a minor cough - but suspected cases as determined by a GP.

If last week over a 7 day period, 5000 people rang up (presented) with strong symptoms of covid 19 and this week it was only 2000, then we definitely know we are heading in the right direction. Not perfect, but literally the only way at the moment we can determine which way we are going.

Sure they are still counting the first confirmed case from February as part of the present figures which is complete BS. The case has already had an outcome. Death or recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Noone is arguing - or should be arguing - lifting. Easing of restrictions.

Easing - exactly.

No one want everything lifted, social distancing is here to stay forever, but who ever can safely return to work as soon as possible needs to.
    We are using restrictions to prevent overwhelming the health service, that has worked.
    We are not using restrictions to get positive test’s or deaths to 0.

Poorside wrote: »
    If the weather is going to be good for the weekend they'll need to lock it down even more.

What do you envisage as a further lockdown?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I think there is a high chance that you will. Anyway let us know one way or the other.

I will. I hope I am because that means the Garda are actually out there. I have a letter from work. Let's see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ITman88 wrote: »
    Easing - exactly.

No one want everything lifted, social distancing is here to stay forever, but who ever can safely return to work as soon as possible needs to.
    We are using restrictions to prevent overwhelming the health service, that has worked.

And that's not going to happen with a vaccine.

There are two options:
    1 - lockdown everyone and everything until said vaccine is widely available (late 2021 apparently)
    2 - Ease the restrictions to the point new cases are going to occur, but on a manageable level.

And the first one is not on the table.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Easing - exactly.

It's working, we need to keep it up for another while and then assess if certain restrictions can be lifted. No sense in jumping the gun and panicking on this. A bit of discipline required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Penfailed

social distancing is here to stay forever

Sorry...what?!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

And that's not going to happen with a vaccine.

There are two options:
    1 - lockdown everyone and everything until said vaccine is widely available (late 2021 apparently)
    2 - Ease the restrictions to the point new cases are going to occur, but on a manageable level.

And the first one is not on the table.

So there is one option you mean :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I'll be amazed if the restrictions are lifted Sunday week. I can't for the life of me see how anyone would think that or argue for it.

i said start to be lifted

and prepare to be amazed

you realise its happening in scandanavia and austria already right?

im not into these doomsday fantasys being peddled maybe you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

TheCitizen wrote: »
    So there is one option you mean :)

Dunno. I think some people might be advocating the first one, judging by the stuff I'm reading!

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »

and prepare to be amazed

I genuinely believe there are people taking pleasure from the current restrictions. Plenty of evidence of it here.

I genuinely believe there are people taking pleasure from the current restrictions. Plenty of evidence of it here.

Some people embrace a change from the norm. Some people are just getting on with it. Some people are struggling with the current restrictions and some people enjoy telling others that the restrictions won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Such is life. People are different. If we were all the same life would be boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I have to say I am enjoying not as many cars on the road, it's so peaceful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

and prepare to be amazed

Sweden has had very few restrictions, asking citizens to behave like adults and social distance - ther figures are not of the chart --

What we have done the past few weeks has been right, to ease strain on medical service , keep it going for maybe another 2 weeks , but people then will reach breaking point - we will then need to Cocoon the elderly and immuno-suppressed, but some more essentail services will need to come back to work, who is going to pay for the 700,000 on the dole ?

People are actually going hungry now in Italy , more restrictions here will lead to an East Germany/North Korea style society - I for one dont want that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thebaz wrote: »
    Sweden has had very few restrictions, asking citizens to behave like adults and social distance - ther figures are not of the chart --

What we have done the past few weeks has been right, to ease strain on medical service , keep it going for maybe another 2 weeks , but people then will reach breaking point - we will then need to Cocoon the elderly and immuno-suppressed, but some more essentail services will need to come back to work, who is going to pay for the 700,000 on the dole ?

People are actually going hungry now in Italy , more restrictions here will lead to an East Germany/North Korea style society - I for one dont want that

i was referring to norway and denmark more so who have followed similar approachs to us and are easing restrictions next week (schools to reopen etc)

Penfailed wrote: »
    Sorry...what?!

It’s here to stay, you can hardly suggest once the restrictions are lifted we won’t be social distancing

Some people are trying to make the best of things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

i was referring to norway and denmark more so who have followed similar approachs to us and are easing restrictions next week (schools to reopen etc)

Let`s just wait and see what the consequences of that will be, in particular reopening the schools and colleges. It may well be a decision they come to regret if new cases and deaths spike there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think the once-a-day 'exercise' should include being able to go and sit on a blanket in the park or on a park bench, alone. The current policy is very discriminatory against those not able to visibly exercise.

In a city the problem is many will have the same idea, so if the authorities allow it you can easily get the situation that happened in Lambeth park recently

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Some people embrace a change from the norm. Some people are just getting on with it. Some people are struggling with the current restrictions and some people enjoy telling others that the restrictions won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Such is life. People are different. If we were all the same life would be boring

Actually I'm referring to to the lockdown fetists of which they are several.

• Advertisement

Let`s just wait and see what the consequences of that will be, in particular reopening the schools and colleges. It may well be a decision they come to regret if new cases and deaths spike there.

It’s worth a chance.

Life must go on.

They can re isolate if necessary.

We are static.

As pragmatic as it sounds the restrictions aren’t saving lives in most cases, they are slightly prolonging them.

Our ICU numbers are manageable, that was our goal

Actually I'm referring to to the lockdown fetists of which they are several.

There are those who are only thinking of themselves and using their fragility and selfishness to push their view that the restrictions must end.

There are all sorts

There are those who are only thinking of themselves and using their fragility and selfishness to push their view that the restrictions must end.

There are all sorts

I have been reading and commenting on this thread from the start, I have seen comments saying that restrictions need to be eased and an exit plan explained but I have not seen anyone call for the restrictions to end. Maybe you could post a link or two to back up this selfishness you are referring too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It’s here to stay, you can hardly suggest once the restrictions are lifted we won’t be social distancing

Forever? That's exactly what I'm suggesting.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

I have been reading and commenting on this thread from the start, I have seen comments saying that restrictions need to be eased and an exit plan explained but I have not seen anyone call for the restrictions to end. Maybe you could post a link or two to back up this selfishness you are referring too?

Maybe I could but more likely that I won't. The selfishness in a very small minority is there to see. I don't have to follow any instruction from your good self.
    Find someone else to argue with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Driving is a lot more fun on empty roads and I haven’t seen a single checkpoint yet! Before anyone starts abusing me for driving I still have to actually go into work the odd day. The air is definitely cleaner around town as well. Those are about the only positives I can think of

Maybe I could but more likely that I won't. The selfishness in a very small minority is there to see. I don't have to follow any instruction from your good self.
    Find someone else to argue with

It wasn't an instruction, you made a claim I asked you could you provide evidence to back up your claim. If you can't I won't think less of you for admitting it.
    Someone else could be less kind and conclude by your response that you are spoofing but not me.

There are all sorts

Well they have to end at some point. Are you in favour of eternal lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

MadYaker wrote: »
    Driving is a lot more fun on empty roads and I haven’t seen a single checkpoint yet! Before anyone starts abusing me for driving I still have to actually go into work the odd day. The air is definitely cleaner around town as well. Those are about the only positives I can think of
    Are you driving in Dublin? I was only out a few times but was stopped numerous. Most amount of checkpoints/stops I've seen in decades of driving.

• Advertisement

Well they have to end at some point. Are you in favour of eternal lockdown?

Once the global pandemic is under control here in Ireland I'd be in favour of business as usual.
    How about you? Are you in favour of eternal lockdown?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement