Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 housemouse

Iceland/South Korea implemented intensive testing.
    The UK were going to take the approach of seeking herd immunity but could not do anything like the testing done elsewhere so the made a rapid change.

So, what do you think countries who cannot do widespread testing should do?

I agree with sheltering the elderly. They should go into lockdown or self-isolation, for their own sake. Many of them would do it voluntarily, because they aren't stupid.

I agree with restricting visits to hospitals and nursing homes. Staff working there need to take every precaution to avoid passing on the virus.

We know who is vulnerable to this thing.

Without the lockdown policy, we'd have an extra €22 billion to spend on measures to protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

terrydel wrote: »
    Anything that causes over 50% more daily deaths than is typical on any given day is surely worthy of concern no?

Your missing a point and proving a point at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Exactly. And once the peak is over and the number of cases has stabilised, ideally at a low level, the lockdown has to end.

Anyone who thinks we'll all be sitting at home until this is 'over' is living in cloud cuckoo land.

I dont see anyone suggesting that.
    When the modelling shows that the levels of infection requiring hospital admission are below the level the health system can comfortably cope with, theyll be relaxed.
    The crying and moaning after two weeks is hilarious tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

housemouse wrote: »
    I agree with sheltering the elderly. They should go into lockdown or self-isolation, for their own sake. Many of them would do it voluntarily, because they aren't stupid.

I agree with restricting visits to hospitals and nursing homes. Staff working there need to take every precaution to avoid passing on the virus.

Without the lockdown policy, we'd have an extra €22 billion to spend on measures to protect them.

This just reads like let others who won't impact me be in lockdown, as long as I don't have to be.

Also, everyone is vulnerable to this thing or what makes you think otherwise?

ITman88 wrote: »
    Your missing a point and proving a point at the same time

You've backed the wrong horse and cant come to terms with it.
    Hard luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Maybe it's different in Ireland but people sitting alone have absolutely been targeted here in London, either by police or by other people. A woman in Belgium was fined for sitting in the sun reading a book in a deserted area, nowhere near anyone.

I think the once-a-day 'exercise' should include being able to go and sit on a blanket in the park or on a park bench, alone. The current policy is very discriminatory against those not able to visibly exercise.

And then more and more people have the same idea and next thing you know the park is fooking full making social distancing impossible and the police then are having to try get muppets to fook off home.
    Waste of police time and resources.
    Creation of possible infection points.

How fooking hard is it for some people to grasp basic fooking concepts ?
    The lockdown fairies are completely ignoring those facts.

Wuhan, Lombardy, Madrid and Paris ain’t anything like Ireland.

Even our most densely populated cities never built up, they built out.

We have so much working in our favour, including population density and age profile.

34 European cities have a greater population than Dublin.

Except you have the muppets who can't be told and think since they are not old or don't have any underlying condition that they can can pile into a pub getting rat ar**ed, pile up a mountainside at the weekend, pile onto a beach, etc.
    All the while spreading a virus that does KILL certain people.

A lot of people just aren't fooking capable of following a few easy instructions.

Hence we now have to have major checkpoints on major roads like N11 in Kilmacanogue right now.
    I have to say I am enjoying not as many cars on the road, it's so peaceful

And less fooking numpties on bicycles out the country as well :D
    thebaz wrote: »
    Sweden has had very few restrictions, asking citizens to behave like adults and social distance - ther figures are not of the chart --

What we have done the past few weeks has been right, to ease strain on medical service , keep it going for maybe another 2 weeks , but people then will reach breaking point - we will then need to Cocoon the elderly and immuno-suppressed, but some more essentail services will need to come back to work, who is going to pay for the 700,000 on the dole ?

People are actually going hungry now in Italy , more restrictions here will lead to an East Germany/North Korea style society - I for one dont want that

I love how we are being compared to Sweden
    Has anyone making that comparison ever been to Sweden ?
    Anyone ever noticed how law abiding they are for the most part?
    Ever stood at a pedestrian crossing in a Scandinavian country with absolutely no traffic and yet everyone waiting for the green light ?
    Why do they do that?
    Well it is the law and one obeys the law.

A lot of the Irish, no more than those of a latin origin, seem to find following instructions difficult and hence need to be reminded even if by legal threat.
    Our ICU numbers are manageable, that was our goal

So please tell us about your intimate knowledge of the ICUs in Ireland ?
    Pray tell us why they moved forward with co-opting the private hospitals for ICU space then ?

Care to tell us why my wife's cousin is being put on immediate standby as fill in ICU nurse in nearby hospital to where she now lives ?

I am not allowed discuss …

So, do you think what has happened in Italy/Spain would be good to see replicated worldwide?

He wont answer that question because it blows apart his entire argument and shows him to be the sociopath his trolling indicates he is.

It may take the Attic Alan’s 12 months to realise that the impending recession will cost more life to be lost than Covid.

The budget cuts will mean less health care investment if restrictions are not eased as soon as possible

This is not an argument. I can also mention countries to you: Iceland, Sweden, South Korea.

Oh look, more failure to answer. Do you practice to be this good?

jmayo wrote: »
    And then more and more people have the same idea and next thing you know the park is fooking full making social distancing impossible and the police then are having to try get muppets to fook off home.
    Waste of police time and resources.
    Creation of possible infection points.

How fooking hard is it for some people to grasp basic fooking concepts ?

Except you have the muppets who can't be told and think since they are not old or don't have any underlying condition that they can can pile into a pub getting rat ar**ed, pile up a mountainside at the weekend, pile onto a beach, etc.
    All the while spreading a virus that does KILL certain people.

A lot of people just aren't fooking capable of following a few easy instructions.

Hence we now have to have major checkpoints on major roads like N11 in Kilmacanogue right now.

And less fooking numpties on bicycles out the country as well :D

I love how we are being compared to Sweden
    Has anyone making that comparison ever been to Sweden ?
    Anyone ever noticed how law abiding they are for the most part?
    Ever stood at a pedestrian crossing in a Scandinavian country with absolutely no traffic and yet everyone waiting for the green light ?
    Why do they do that?
    Well it is the law and one obeys the law.

A lot of the Irish, no more than those of a latin origin, seem to find following instructions difficult and hence need to be reminded even if by legal threat.

So please tell us about your intimate knowledge of the ICUs in Ireland ?
    Pray tell us why they moved forward with co-opting the private hospitals for ICU space then ?

Care to tell us why my wife's cousin is being put on immediate standby as fill in ICU nurse in nearby hospital to where she now lives ?

So your wife’s cousin on standby hasn’t been drafted in yet?
    Point proven

• Advertisement

This just reads like let others who won't impact me be in lockdown, as long as I don't have to be.

Also, everyone is vulnerable to this thing or what makes you think otherwise?

The median age of those who die with the virus is c. 80, and the majority of those who die have an underlying condition.

Perfect response. That is the missing data.

All the signs point to a horrific cost, a waste of resources that could easily exceed the cost of the bank bailouts.

Lockdown defenders are standing on a mountain of burning money, having been fully convinced by the media that there was no alternative.

So you are perfectly happy to see what happened in Italy happen here? Thats the logical extension of what you say above. Be a man and at least own your beliefs, or continue to be a coward about it.

Oh look, more failure to answer. Do you practice to be this good?

Where are the moderators? This guy is spamming the thread.

It may take the Attic Alan’s 12 months to realise that the impending recession will cost more life to be lost than Covid.

The budget cuts will mean less health care investment if restrictions are not eased as soon as possible

Can you actually back that up or is it mere opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So you are perfectly happy to see what happened in Italy happen here? Thats the logical extension of what you say above. Be a man and at least own your beliefs, or continue to be a coward about it.

What happened in Italy wouldn't happen here, as the societal behaviour that existed up till recently in Italy doesn't exist here. Pretty much doesn't exist in most northern European countries.

The median age of those who die with the virus is c. 80, and the majority of those who die have an underlying condition.

You really do come across as tho you dont give a sh*t about these people.
    Total and utter sociopath. Would love to meet you.

You really do come across as tho you dont give a sh*t about these people.
    Total and utter sociopath. Would love to meet you.

This is the perfect caricature of a debate when a person with facts runs up against a person with no facts but lots of feelings.

You're one arent you? Or you think you are.
    Crying for your virtual mammy now because you are getting walked all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Throughout history, in times of conflict and danger, the vulnerable were always protected while the strong defended. This millennium things changed in society. If the government had suggested a lockdown for the elderly and immunocompromised only, they would have been attacked for being discriminatory. The irony is that we will almost certainly end up in that situation, only we will have lost more lives than we should have and ruined our economy along the way.

What happened in Italy wouldn't happen here, as the societal behaviour that existed up till recently in Italy doesn't exist here. Pretty much doesn't exist in most northern European countries.

Move over Tony Holohan.
    Thats your opinion, stop confusing it with fact.

• Advertisement

This is the perfect caricature of a debate when a person with facts runs up against a person with no facts but lots of feelings.

You are tho, simple as that. You might not like a fact being pointed out to you, hard luck.
    I have no respect for anyone who will not answer a direct question when it they know it tears apart their narrative.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,063 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do not post in this thread again

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,063 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The report post button is there for a reason. Do not call this sort of thing out in thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Many of you are becoming aggressive and insulting each others opinions.

Relax. None of you have any power to make any changes in government policy so why get worked up about it.

Move over Tony Holohan.
    Thats your opinion, stop confusing it with fact.

Do you believe Irish society and Italian society have the same social behaviour pattern?
    I have been to Italy multiple times and have friends there. They are far more affectionate towards each other than their northern European counterparts. That is fact not opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Do you believe Irish society and Italian society have the social behaviour pattern?
    I have been to Italy multiple times and have friends there. They are far more affectionate towards each other than their northern European counterparts. That is fact not opinion.

We would be much more like the lovely folk from the UK.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    We would be much more like the lovely folk from the UK.

Not really tbh.

housemouse is also threadbanned

terrydel is now banned from the forum for ignoring their threadban

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

I dont see anyone suggesting that.
    When the modelling shows that the levels of infection requiring hospital admission are below the level the health system can comfortably cope with, theyll be relaxed.

Four-five weeks for a good chunk of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Had a debate with my sister where she was like we should recognize this as a time to appreciate all the things in life that we take for granted that are luxuries. For example going out to a pub/bar and having a few drinks. I argued that these aren’t luxuries, and who says that we should feel grateful to be able to have the freedom to go out and hang with friends. I get having perspective but by same time, we should take freedom to be a given, no privilege.
    What do people think?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement