Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

What a clueless response.

Careful with the friendly fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The whole point of being asked to "survive" for a few weeks is so that people will not wind up dead.

How long is a few weeks?

It's currently 4 weeks into restrictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why so, this is the only true data we have.

You said it's all that matters which it clearly is not. I don't feel any explanation would be worthwhile or beneficial to you.
    The importance of testing has been mentioned here multiple times. Feel free to read back you also find the reasons for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Billions of people around the world barely able to feed or shelter themselves, and we have people here complaining that they can't get out for a pint, under the guise of their worry for the economy.

Sums up this thread.

Hang on do you think tens of thousands of people who are out of work with families who have Bill's and mortgages to pay are actually only worried about going for a pint. Are people that deluded and cut off from real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

If China's end of restrictions goes wrong god only knows what the plan will be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

KiKi III wrote: »
    I've talked on this thread about how I'm coping with my own mental health issues (online therapy has been a saviour) so acting like I don't care about such people once again says way more about you than me. You're making an absolute disgrace of yourself with your carry on.

And it's really not my fault that you don't understand the difference between a necessity (food, clothing, shelter) and a luxury (nights out in the pub). Just because you consider them essential parts of your privileged life doesn't mean they're not luxuries. Lots of people have happy, fulfilling lives and rarely if ever set foot in a pub.

Good God, I'm not talking about just pubs, I'm talking about any of the small things which make life better for people but aren't strictly necessary for survival. In some cultures that might be shisha, cigarettes, coffee, beer, whatever. Putting things like that in the same category as luxury goods like handbags or branded shoes is inane.

Let me just text the family I stayed with in a slum in Colombia and tell them how very privileged they are because they buy cigarettes and beer every time they go to the shop. I'm sure they'll really appreciate your insight and vast knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Nice personal abuse. Showing your true colours there.

Are you actually joking?

You've insulted my intelligence repeatedly on this thread, and in the last two pages have called me a Tory twice. You've accused me of lacking compassion for people with mental health issues even though I AM a person with mental health issues.

And then you call me out for personal abuse? What planet do you live on Lainey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fairview Park full of sunbathers today. Like a holiday.

Restrictions are gonna be here for a long time folks.

Thick Paddy's can't follow the rules.

You mean thick Dubs. Ireland is not just Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    How long is a few weeks?

It's currently 4 weeks into restrictions

They're only lifting restrictions in Wuhan today.....four months after patient zero. All we can hope is that we had prior warning and this won't last that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lost implants

niallo27 wrote: »
    Hang on do you think tens of thousands of people who are out of work with families who have Bill's and mortgages to pay are actually only worried about going for a pint. Are people that deluded and cut off from real life.

Are they posting dung in this thread that they think going out for a pint is a right, not a privilege?

• Advertisement

Good God, I'm not talking about just pubs, I'm talking about any of the small things which make life better for people but aren't strictly necessary for survival. In some cultures that might be shisha, cigarettes, coffee, beer, whatever. Putting things like that in the same category as luxury goods like handbags or branded shoes is inane.

Let me just text the family I stayed with in a slum in Colombia and tell them how very privileged they are because they buy cigarettes and beer every time they go to the shop. I'm sure they'll really appreciate your insight and vast knowledge.

Okay, so we were talking about whether nights out in the pub is a privilege. That was the discussion. You have now chosen to completely change the goalposts to the point where we're talking about slums in Colombia?

I can't keep up with you at the rate you're running around in circles.

Are you actually joking?

You've insulted my intelligence repeatedly on this thread, and in the last two pages have called me a Tory twice. You've accused me of lacking compassion for people with mental health issues even though I AM a person with mental health issues.

And then you call me out for personal abuse? What planet do you live on Lainey?

I never called you a name. You've also taken a rude tone with me, and I didn't object to that.

I never called you a name. You've also taken a rude tone with me, and I didn't object to that.

Tbf you did essentially compare her to the worst of tory voters??

Kind of dug your own grave as regards tone here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You mean thick Dubs. Ireland is not just Dublin

Yeah

Okay, so we were talking about whether nights out in the pub is a privilege. That was the discussion. You have now chosen to completely change the goalposts to the point where we're talking about slums in Colombia?

I can't keep up with you at the rate you're running around in circles.

The question is whether going for a pint is a luxury available only to those with privileged lives.

Of course it isn't. That's ridiculous.

I know a few people who have lost everything in the last few weeks, and are absolutely dying for the pubs to open so they can have a pint. When things are as bad as they are, those small treats are everything.

This is the point I was making, which you missed......again.

The question is whether going for a pint is a luxury available only to those with privileged lives.

Moving the goal posts again I see.

This is the point I was making, which you missed......again.

Insulting my intelligence again I see.

Maybe the reason your mental health is suffering is less to do with not being able to sit in the park and more to do with spending all your time on boards insulting people and then acting surprised and indignant when they do it back?

Moving the goal posts again I see.

Insulting my intelligence again I see.

Maybe the reason your mental health is suffering is less to do with not being able to sit in the park and more to do with spending all your time on boards insulting people and then acting surprised and indignant when they do it back?

Moving the goalposts? That was literally the post I quoted!

I'm not insulting you, I'm saying that you keep missing the point. And worse, keep implying that those of us who are concerned about the side effects of this lockdown don't care about people dying of covid. There's no nuance there at all with you. I'm trying to point out all the ways in which the situation is problematic, all widely discussed in the press, and you just dismiss them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Your whole attitude is off. If you're depressed but breathing, that's better than being dead. Treat the most imminent threat first.

As for it being a disease solely of the elderly and disabled, old people have recovered, fit young people, teens, kids and babies have died. The only way to halt the deaths until we know more is isolation. It sucks, I know, but at least it's not pouring rain or freezing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Fairview Park full of sunbathers today. Like a holiday.

Restrictions are gonna be here for a long time folks.

Thick Paddy's can't follow the rules.

As long as they were two metres apart the vitamin D will do them good. As for thick paddies, I think you'll find that a good proportion of the scientists and medics getting the world through this pandemic are paddies.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Your whole attitude is off. If you're depressed but breathing, that's better than being dead. Treat the most imminent threat first.

As for it being a disease solely of the elderly and disabled, old people have recovered, fit young people, teens, kids and babies have died. The only way to halt the deaths until we know more is isolation. It sucks, I know, but at least it's not pouring rain or freezing.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do that. At all. I fully support these measures, and I think they were too slow with them in the UK.

I'm saying that we can also acknowledge how hard this is for a lot of people, and have compassion for them rather than calling them snowflakes or telling them to just suck it up, but apparently nuance isn't a thing for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm not saying we shouldn't do that. At all. I fully support these measures, and I think they were too slow with them in the UK.

I'm saying that we can also acknowledge how hard this is for a lot of people, and have compassion for them rather than calling them snowflakes or telling them to just suck it up, but apparently nuance isn't a thing for some people.

And who isn't acknowledging it's difficult for a lot of people?

I'm not insulting you, I'm saying that you keep missing the point. And worse, keep implying that those of us who are concerned about the side effects of this lockdown don't care about people dying of covid. There's no nuance there at all with you. I'm trying to point out all the ways in which the situation is problematic, all widely discussed in the press, and you just dismiss them.

I don't dismiss them, I put them in what I consider to be the appropriate context.

Is it sad that people with mental health issues can't spend time outside at the moment. It is. But it didn't kill 900 people in the country you're in yesterday - coronavirus did.

I've acknowledged repeatedly that it's a sacrifice. It's a sacrifice the vast majority of people - even those with mental health issues - are willing to make.

The people saying rubbish like 'suck it up!' or 'it's hard for everyone'! Zero compassion!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Lolz. If you haven’t spotted the lockdown lovers then I’m not sure where you’ve been hiding!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The people saying rubbish like 'suck it up!' or 'it's hard for everyone'! Zero compassion!

But we all have to suck it up! And it is hard for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Well this tread has been completely derailed by people who seem to enjoy coming in here to scold people for missing "luxury".

We've missed one bank holiday and this week will miss another one. Meeting up with friends and family isn't a luxury. Up until a month ago it was a given.

This weekend will mark the 5th weekend of not being able to meet up with friends and family in person. That's not some luxury we are missing out on. We socialized as a poor nation and continue to do so now as a rich nation. It didn't become a luxury because we are relatively wealthy and now have Netflix and Whatsapp. Not once in living history has our movement been so severely restricted and technology doesn't make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Compassion for what? You get to sit at home on your Corona euros and spend all day watching youtube or playing video games or whatever. Last couple of weeks have been a slacker's dream.

The only people deserving compassion are those directly affected by the disease.

That sounds like a nightmare.

User142 wrote: »
    Well this tread has been completely derailed by people who seem to enjoy coming in here to scold people for missing "luxury".

We've missed one bank holiday and this week will miss another one. Meeting up with friends and family isn't a luxury. Up until a month ago it was a given.

This weekend will mark the 5th weekend of not being able to meet up with friends and family in person. That's not some luxury we are missing out on. We socialized as a poor nation and continue to do so now as a rich nation. It didn't become a luxury because we are relatively wealthy and now have Netflix and Whatsapp. Not once in living history has our movement been so severely restricted and technology doesn't make up for it.

Human contact is not a luxury; it's a need and it's one we all have. It's one we're all having difficulty coping without and that's why most of us are sticking closely to the guidelines so they will be lifted asap.

Getting drunk down the local on the other hand is a luxury, and one loads of people live without.

User142 wrote: »
    That sounds like a nightmare.

Ah he's clearly a troll, don't go feeding him.

• Advertisement

I haven't missed your point once Lainey. At times, I have disagreed with your point. At times, I have thought your point was bizarrely off-topic. At times, I have thought your point was stupid.

But rest assured, not once have I missed it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement