Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

But we all have to suck it up! And it is hard for everyone!

But it isn't hard for everyone equally, is it? And that's the bloody point.

Someone with mental health issues living alone in a tiny bedsit with no outside space and unable to access their support networks is going to find this a hell of a lot harder than someone living in a nice house with plenty of space and a garden and a loving partner to chat to and cook nice dinners with every night.

It's not remotely 'hard for everyone', no. Life circumstances (mental health, money, space, accommodation) can make all the difference between this being a minor inconvenience and an absolute living hell.

Those who are finding it a minor inconvenience mistakenly think that everyone else has a life like theirs. Ironically the same people who are calling others privileged are the ones who assume that everyone who is unhappy about this just wants to go for a pint, which just shows their own privilege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Someone with mental health issues living alone in a tiny bedsit with no outside space and unable to access their support networks is going to find this a hell of a lot harder than someone living in a nice house with plenty of space and a garden and a loving partner to chat to and cook nice dinners with every night.

It's not remotely 'hard for everyone', no. Life circumstances (mental health, money, space, accommodation) can make all the difference between this being a minor inconvenience and an absolute living hell.

Those who are finding it a minor inconvenience mistakenly think that everyone else has a life like theirs. Ironically the same people who are calling others privileged are the ones who assume that everyone who is unhappy about this just wants to go for a pint, which just shows their own privilege.

So your main point is it's harder for some than it is for others?
    Everyone knows this though.
    You're a bit all over the place, it's clearly affecting you more than others but all we can do is wait it out, regardless of circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Some people are just adaptable, they can get on with any situation and make light of it. Others wallow in misery and fret about things that may not even happen.

Also people need to lay off Lainey, give it a rest FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

If we save just one life, just one, it'll all be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Some people are just adaptable, they can get on with any situation and make light of it. Others wallow in misery and fret about things that may not even happen.

And those freters are persuading the governments to shut the world down indefinitely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

This is exactly it. Most people - even those of us with mental health issues - can exert some amount of control over how we look at things.

As for Lainey, she gives as good as she gets and then some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What does anyone think Tony Holohan means by “Short Term”?

Gael23 wrote: »

I would take it to mean weeks rather than months or years.

KiKi III wrote: »
    This is exactly it. Most people - even those of us with mental health issues - can exert some amount of control over how we look at things.

As for Lainey, she gives as good as she gets and then some.

So am I. I'm just being realistic about the fact that the lockdown can't go on indefinitely and that a lot of people are going to suffer genuine hardship because of it.

That's literally it.

So what do you want? Special treatment because life is tough atm?

I've already outlined why I think some of the measures are counter productive and are actually making things worse. Feel free to read those posts. I'm not rewriting them for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So am I. I'm just being realistic about the fact that the lockdown can't go on indefinitely and that a lot of people are going to suffer genuine hardship because of it.

That's literally it.

who is disputing this???

Probably til the end of the month before a gradual easing assuming we can continue to trend in the right direction which I believe we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If we save just one life, just one, it'll all be worth it.

While that all sounds lovely in a perfect world, that's not the world we live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

It is extremely hard for everyone but there is a scale as with all things except death.

Deaths in the country you live in have increased again today. The authorities are trying to save lives by telling you to stay indoors. If you're having a mental-health crisis, phone or ask someone else to phone the local emergency services. If you're having a petulance attack then go and take a breather from the net and do some yoga. If you go outside and get fined, those drinks at the pub might be beyond your funds. If you go out and infect a relative or friend, you'll lose that person whatever the ultimate consequences. You're just baiting people now so I'm no longer engaging with you. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

I’d say 8:30 to 9 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Bayern munich are back training. Efficient Germans

Dubl07 wrote: »
    It is extremely hard for everyone but there is a scale as with all things except death.

Deaths in the country you live in have increased again today. The authorities are trying to save lives by telling you to stay indoors. If you're having a mental-health crisis, phone or ask someone else to phone the local emergency services. If you're having a petulance attack then go and take a breather from the net and do some yoga. If you go outside and get fined, those drinks at the pub might be beyond your funds. If you go out and infect a relative or friend, you'll lose that person whatever the ultimate consequences. You're just baiting people now so I'm no longer engaging with you. Good luck.

Aaaaand here we go, another person missing the point.

This isn't about me personally. I'm making the point that not everyone who is finding this hard is some spoiled privileged fool who wants to get out and have a cocktail. I have no problem with staying in, I support the current measures and I'm abiding by them. I'm saying that some of them are in my opinion making things worse and making places more overcrowded, which maybe you just can't imagine, because you're not the one living it.

I wouldn't waste your energy Lainey, there's a fair few posters on here who just want to bash anyone with a balanced take on the situation we find ourselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Nermal

I wouldn't waste your energy Lainey, there's a fair few posters on here who just want to bash anyone with a balanced take on the situation we find ourselves in.

We might come around to your way of thinking if you could point us to any country where the approach you're advocating has worked out well.

Countries that have taken the route of protecting the economy and people's liberties over taking drastic social distancing measures are being absolutely ravaged by the virus. It's not working out for any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,958 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We might come around to your way of thinking if you could point us to any country where the approach you're advocating has worked out well.

Countries that have taken the route of protecting the economy and people's liberties over taking drastic social distancing measures are being absolutely ravaged by the virus. It's not working out for any of them.

That is their approach being succesful. Let the virus spread and keep working as normal for the glory of the economy. (Strangely havent heard of this "economy saving" approach actually helping economy but thats a separate flaw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,958 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Balanced" :pac:

Is there any country that actually doing well.

Hardly anyone is suggesting no measures.... Please point out to me a post i've made where i suggested we do nothing? I'm completely onboard with the current measures we have in place and those being extended til the end of the month. After that we need to start releasing them.

Personally i've been working from home for 5 weeks, I take my walks in the countryside where I live which thankfully means I don't meet anyone, we do one shop a week to avoid going to the supermarket more than necessary. Please don't accuse me of advocating the do nothing approach.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭oceanman

niallo27 wrote: »
    some doing better than others but nobody is winning the war at the moment.

Hardly anyone is suggesting no measures.... Please point out to me a post i've made where i suggested we do nothing? I'm completely onboard with the current measures we have in place and those being extended til the end of the month. After that we need to start releasing them.

Personally i've been working from home for 5 weeks, I take my walks in the countryside where I live which thankfully means I don't meet anyone, we do one shop a week to avoid going to the supermarket more than necessary. Please don't accuse me of advocating the do nothing approach.....

I didn't say that you want no measures. Am I wrong in suggesting you want more lax measures? If so, is there data from any other country that would suggest to you this is a good idea? If there is no data, what facts are you basing your opinion on?

I didn't say that you want no measures. Am I wrong in suggesting you want more lax measures? If so, is there data from any other country that would suggest to you this is a good idea? If there is no data, what facts are you basing your opinion on?

Yes you are wrong. I want more lax measures from the end of the month, not now. There's a big difference.

There's minimal data on what happens when you do this as a handful of countries are only getting to the stage where they can do this now.

oceanman wrote: »
    some doing better than others but nobody is winning the war at the moment.

So can we really say who has the best approach to this. We are quick to knock the uk or sweden but we could probably end up a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

niallo27 wrote: »

Several east Asian ones. In Europe, I suppose you'd have to mention Iceland

• Advertisement

Yes you are wrong. I want more lax measures from the end of the month, not now. There's a big difference.

There's minimal data on what happens when you do this as a handful of countries are only getting to the stage where they can do this now.

I'm in agreement with this, assuming the data supports it by that point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement