Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

niallo27 wrote: »
    Is there any country that actually doing well.

Turkmenistan has reported no cases.

Head there, put your feet up, have a few pints, praise their glorious leader and if you get a fever, followed by severe pneumonia and end up in a ICU bed there, don't mention the c word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

KiKi III wrote: »
    I'm in agreement with this, assuming the data supports it by that point.

Let's say it doesn't, then what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What data do you suggest is used. Here's some data on RTE news at present there is 6074 confirmed cases of Covid 19. First case was end of February do you think that first case for example should stil be counted as there has been an outcome. Either death or recovery.
    We are not doing enough testing, there is a ridiculous lag between the test and the known results.
    So again what data should we use to decide on the way forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

What data do you suggest is used. Here's some data on RTE news at present there is 6074 confirmed cases of Covid 19. First case was end of February do you think that first case for example should stil be counted as there has been an outcome. Either death or recovery.
    We are not doing enough testing, there is a ridiculous lag between the test and the known results.
    So again what data should we use to decide on the way forward?

Whatever we have. Reality is we will have to take chances. No option is risk free, including staying as we are. There is a balance to be struck.
    Nothing is black and white in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Let's say it doesn't, then what?

I am willing to be guided by the doctors, epidemiologists and economists who have been studying and working in their fields for their whole lives.

I wouldn't be arrogant enough to think I know better than them. And overall, I'm content with how the government has handled this to date. So, assuming that doesn't change, I will continue to be guided by them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Whatever we have. Reality is we will have to take chances. No option is risk free, including staying as we are. There is a balance to be struck.
    Nothing is black and white in this.

I'm well aware of the fact that life is not black and white. My point was figures valid in February are still being trotted out in April which is an absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 1sttimebuyer20

I am willing to be guided by the doctors, epidemiologists and economists who have been studying and working in their fields for their whole lives.

I wouldn't be arrogant enough to think I know better than them. And overall, I'm content with how the government has handled this to date. So, assuming that doesn't change, I will continue to be guided by them.

I 100% agree with this, as much as this lockdown is torturing me, I’d rather another 2-3 weeks of this now, than to go back to any sense of normality for a month and then have to restart the process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Is there any country that actually doing well.

We won't know which country has done best until it is all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

While that all sounds lovely in a perfect world, that's not the world we live in.

(I guess the sarcasm was missed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

I 100% agree with this, as much as this lockdown is torturing me, I’d rather another 2-3 weeks of this now, than to go back to any sense of normality for a month and then have to restart the process

I think we'd all be delighted if it was just 3 more weeks then something resembling normal. Unfortunately it's not going to happen. This will be a slow burner for the next 3-4 months as restrictions are lifted gradually. We may even see some lifted and reapplied (Really hope not).

• Advertisement

polesheep wrote: »

That may be true but it's easy enough to see which countries are doing badly.

How do you define 'well'?

I think we'd all be delighted if it was just 3 more weeks then something resembling normal. Unfortunately it's not going to happen. This will be a slow burner for the next 3-4 months as restrictions are lifted gradually. We may even see some lifted and reapplied (Really hope not).

Well, that it, life over as we know it because we cant deal with the death, is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

(I guess the sarcasm was missed)

Yep, I havent a clue what's going on in this thread.

What data supports it and how to you propose we gather it?

Luckily I don't need to figure this out because I'm not in charge of it.

I'd imagine it would involve seeing a consistent reduction in the number of people needing ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Yes you are wrong. I want more lax measures from the end of the month, not now. There's a big difference.

There's minimal data on what happens when you do this as a handful of countries are only getting to the stage where they can do this now.

No matter what

That may be true but it's easy enough to see which countries are doing badly.

...At the moment. Remember the tortoise and the hare? We can all say who we think is doing best. But we really won't know until it is all over.

I'd imagine it would involve seeing a consistent reduction in the number of people needing ICU.

Say goodbye to your 2020.

I'd rather say goodbye to my 2020 than my parents.

• Advertisement

Well, that it, life over as we know it because we cant deal with the death, is that it?

So you just want to let people die which could have been prevented and I am not talking about just Covid 19 patients. I am talking about people with other health issues who if the hospitals are overrun will not be able to get the care they needed.

Restriction will be lifted gradually by May I say with. With bars clubs and travel been the last to be lifted. Due to this I will miss my niece/nephew been born and seen them for a few months

How do you define 'well'?

That's a good question. I feel that we would have to wait until such time that we could look at the overall death figures within each country for a total year since the outbreak. Then look at the state of the economy in each individual country and take it from there. Although I think deaths would be the primary focus. Civilised countries strive to limit unnecessary deaths. It may just come down to which country had the least number of deaths, after average annual death rates had been subtracted. One for the number crunchers.

...At the moment. Remember the tortoise and the hare? We can all say who we think is doing best. But we really won't know until it is all over.

Right, but there's absolutely no indication that countries that are floundering right now like the UK and US will eventually come out the better for it.

People been infected (also been able to get results quick), people recovering (I hear that the briefings in the next few days may have number on this) and the death rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,958 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That might be a problem for already isolated hermits with no family or friends, but most would rather avoid saying goodbye to friends and family.

Great get out of jail card there. Isn't it

I'd rather say goodbye to mine then set fire to world for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

pjohnson wrote: »
    That might be a problem for already isolated hermits with no family or friends, but most would rather avoid saying goodbye to friends and family.

If this is the way we choose to live our lives then no restrictions shouid be lifted until a vaccine comes out in 18 months or more. No point in saying a anything less.

Great get out of jail card there. Isn't it

I've said it over and over again on this thread, I'm more than willing to defer to the experts on these matters.

I think it's absolutely nuts that people on here with zero relevant qualifications or experience think they could do a better job than people who have dedicated their entire lives to these fields.

On Boards it's rarely considered acceptable to say "I actually don't have the answers to this one", but to my mind it's the only logical position.

• Advertisement

If this is the way we choose to live our lives then no restrictions shouid be lifted until a vaccine comes out in 18 months or more. No point in saying a anything less.

What are you basing that opinion on? Why does everything have to be so extreme on here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement