Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Great get out of jail card there. Isn't it

Isnt it. Harp on about it, speculate, speculate, insist everyone stays at home because of a selfish desire to save their own family while the world burns because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Isnt it. Harp on about it, speculate, speculate, insist everyone stays at home because of a selfish desire to save their own family while the world burns because of it.

The world isn't burning, drama queen.

And you're just speculating too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd rather say goodbye to mine then set fire to world for everyone.

Gotta respect the honesty anyway. Not tryna hide behind "domestic violence" or "mental health" or "excercise" as a cover.

Own that greed Timmy.

You do realise Ireland lifting every restriction and even ordering mass orgies to bring people together wont stop America, UK, Spain or Italy or the rest of the world "burning"?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Gotta respect the honesty anyway. Not tryna hide behind "domestic violence" or "mental health" as a cover.

Own that greed Timmy.

Nothing more greedy or selfish than wanting to protect your parents at the expense of everyone else.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    You do realise Ireland lifting every restriction and even ordering mass orgies to bring people together wont stop America, UK, Spain or Italy or the rest of the world "burning"?

Yeah, it's not like each of those jurisdictions aren't looking to other for guidance.

Nothing more greedy or selfish than wanting to protect your parents at the expense of everyone else.

Actually it's an attempt to save the older people, people recovering from chemo or transplants, pregnant people, people with diabetes etc

And somehow you think protecting these sectors of society is the selfish position. Weird world view.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

KiKi III wrote: »
    What are you basing that opinion on? Why does everything have to be so extreme on here?

Does it get anymore extreme than bringing up your parents lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It was not really that side I was talking about Timmy but ya there are a some I am sure

The world isn't burning, drama queen.

And you're just speculating too.

I mean, 10million people out of work in the US in one week.

> 100% increase in unemployment here, in 2 weeks. With a massive incresee to follow in the next two.

None of that is speculating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Right, but there's absolutely no indication that countries that are floundering right now like the UK and US will eventually come out the better for it.

Neither is there any indication that they won't. As terrible as they look now, in the long run, they may come out better than us. As I said, we won't know until it's all over.

Actually it's an attempt to save the older people, people recovering from chemo or transplants, pregnant people, people with diabetes etc

And somehow you think protecting these sectors of society is the selfish position. Weird world view.

could not have said it better

polesheep wrote: »
    Neither is there any indication that they won't. As terrible as they look now, in the long run, they may come out better than us. As I said, we won't know until it's all over.

Au contraire. There are a ton of indicators that it's going to go very badly for the UK and US in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Running with the Russian Roulette of Herd Immunity would collapse the health system pretty quickly. Leading to even more deaths, and an economic catastrophe anyway.

Why did the British row back on it? Why are the Swedes looking at doing the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Au contraire. There are a ton of indicators that it's going to go very badly for the UK and US in the long run.

There really aren't. There are many indicators that it is going badly short term. But, unless you can look into the future, you cannot predict the long run.

I mean, 10million people out of work in the US in one week.

> 100% increase in unemployment here, in 2 weeks. With a massive incresee to follow in the next two.

None of that is speculating.

Over 14,000 dead......do you think thats speculation?

I've said it over and over again on this thread, I'm more than willing to defer to the experts on these matters.

I think it's absolutely nuts that people on here with zero relevant qualifications or experience think they could do a better job than people who have dedicated their entire lives to these fields.

On Boards it's rarely considered acceptable to say "I actually don't have the answers to this one", but to my mind it's the only logical position.

You can give an opinion. Like mine partial lifting over time starting from May providing of course the figures hold up with cases going down with a review every 2 weeks to see if we can go a bit further or do we need to go back a bit

You can give an opinion. Like mine partial lifting over time starting from May providing of course the figures hold up with cases going down with a review every 2 weeks to see if we can go a bit further or do we need to go back a bit

The last thing we need though is to end up like Singapore.

Come out of current restrictions, only to have a major spike and order people back to current restrictions again.

How would people take that?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

niallo27 wrote: »
    Does it get anymore extreme than bringing up your parents lives.

No.

It may only be people who have studied/worked hard up to now who are questioning the policies. Those who were part of a team at work and who greatly enjoyed being at work.

Some who may not have made any personal/professional investments, will, of course have absolutely no issue with the restrictions as it has no impact whatsoever on their lives.

How it doesn’t make sense to cocoon the vulnerable completely until a vaccine is produced, I don’t know.

I suppose it’s always easier to hide at home, and accuse who don’t want to of selfishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

I would take it to mean weeks rather than months or years.

I’m kinda back seat passenger here but can we not all show empathy once and awhile?

• Advertisement

ITman88 wrote: »
    No.

It may only be people who have studied/worked hard up to now who are questioning the policies. Those who were part of a team at work and who greatly enjoyed being at work.

Some who may not have made any personal/professional investments, will, of course have absolutely no issue with the restrictions as it has no impact whatsoever on their lives.

How it doesn’t make sense to cocoon the vulnerable completely until a vaccine is produced, I don’t know.

I suppose it’s always easier to hide at home, and accuse who don’t want to of selfishness.

Gimme a ****ing break....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Come out of current restrictions, only to have a major spike and order people back to current restrictions again.

I think Singapore didn't lift any restrictions. They had some restrictions, looked to be holding well and now have had a spike and have had to go into tougher restrictions.

Just giving up hope myself, seems to be so futile trying to contain this tbh

Well no and if you read my post I never said come out of restriction completely. In 4 weeks time we could allow places to open up that could comply with restriction. Social distancing will be here for months

never_mind wrote: »
    I’m kinda back seat passenger here but can we not all show empathy once and awhile?

I don't understand. He asked what "short-term" means, and I said "weeks" rather than months or years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What's the alternative though, the only way to avoid that situation is if we wait for a vaccine. Its always going spike, what possibly situation will there not be a spike unless full lockdown till a vaccine.

I think that’s proving a point. Restrictions are futile, only short term useful

Gimme a ****ing break....

Its hilarious the excuses that are used.

niallo27 wrote: »
    What's the alternative though, the only way to avoid that situation is if we wait for a vaccine. Its always going spike, what possibly situation will there not be a spike unless full lockdown till a vaccine.

You are unable to differentiate between things that are your opinion and things that are facts borne out by evidence.

Just because you think something is true doesn't mean it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How in practice will long term social distancing work?

• Advertisement

If these restrictions remain in place long term, what will pay for the treatments required?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement