Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It won't.

It can't in modern offices unless you tell half your workforce to work from home. It will mean restricting international travel for business meetings.

It will mean long term pub closures because if you really believe publicans are going to limit the number of patrons to 20 or 30 inside in any major Irish town...just ****ing lol.

Shops and shopping malls? How will you enforce it then?
    Think the same myself. That said we were told it would be some time before all of us are back in the office

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Like 61 dead in last 2 days,give it until we have gone 3 or 4 days with no deaths/icu admissions,before even dreaming re-openin.everywhere

Several ICUs full and overflowing into seperate areas....and people think its wise to reopen everywhere

We borrowed 6 billion over 7 years yesterday at .242%......its never been cheaper to keep country closed down

ICUs are the issue.

We could probably be waiting until a vaccine until the last covid death due to the way they are being reported.

6 billion over 7 years was discussed on the radio earlier and the guy being interviewed laughed at it.

The hole is going to be much deeper

polesheep wrote: »
    You do realise that the money you mentioned will be gone and will have to be paid back?

Yes??

Im aware of how this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Here we go again, explain how "it will get smaller and smaller"

Health experts have been explaining this for weeks.

When the virus got here, everyone who got it was interacting with 20 people on average which meant it spread very rapidly. Now, that average has gone down to three.

So it's the difference between 20 people spreading it 20 people who each spread it on to 20 more people (20 x 20 x 20 x 20...) and (3 x 3 x 3 x 3).

Do you see how the numbers get much smaller through social distancing now?

Here's a visual and an article that explains it further: https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-21/coronavirus-why-social-distancing-works/

Hard to believe you've been on here all week without even having this basic level of understanding of the attempt to slow the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Like 61 dead in last 2 days,give it until we have gone 3 or 4 days with no deaths/icu admissions,before even dreaming re-openin.everywhere

Several ICUs full and overflowing into seperate areas....and people think its wise to reopen everywhere

We borrowed 6 billion over 7 years yesterday at .242%......its never been cheaper to keep country closed down

You do realise that would probably mean a full lockdown for 6 to 9 months before we see no more icu admissions. How will the normal joe pay his mortgage in 9 months. Can normal people do this for 9 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

ITman88 wrote: »
    Well the alternative is to cocoon everyone!!!

Fanny around?
    I’m talking about the healthy going back to work. Try get some of the 850k to work.

And how are they paying the bills now?

Do you think we have implemented restrictions to completely eradicate Covid 19?

We haven’t, it’s here to stay, and that demographic is at risk until a vaccine

Some people think there’s a magic money tree to pay for everything. Small businesses will go under, already huge loss of jobs, homehelp support being taken away, will there even be money to pay for basic services and welfare, pensions etc if this goes on. Oh yeah there’s that magic money tree .. Not

KiKi III wrote: »

When the virus got here, everyone who got it was interacting with 20 people on average which meant it spread very rapidly. Now, that average has gone down to three.

So it's the difference between 20 people spreading it 20 people who each spread it on to 20 more people (20 x 20 x 20 x 20...) and (3 x 3 x 3 x 3).

Here's a visual and an article that explains it further: https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-21/coronavirus-why-social-distancing-works/

Hard to believe you've been on here all week without even having this basic level of understanding of the attempt to slow the virus.

Yes but as restrictions are lifted it will get bigger and bigger again. Its impossible to avoid this. Now if we can get treatment before a vaccine then that changes everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Ahhh, explaining social distancing. so you're advocating social distancing for ever, I see.

citysights wrote: »
    Some people think there’s a magic money tree to pay for everything. Small businesses will go under, already huge loss of jobs, homehelp support being taken away, will there even be money to pay for basic services and welfare, pensions etc if this goes on. Oh yeah there’s that magic money tree .. Not

Some economist goon on the radio earlier also said it’s a depression coming not a recession, I turned off the radio then!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

There's really no need to be so condescending.

The above is true with the current restrictions, his question was what happens when you remove these restrictions? When people go back to meeting lots of other people every day the whole cycle starts all over again.

• Advertisement

Ahhh, explaining social distancing. so you're advocating social distancing for ever, I see.

No, and I didn't say that.

Try and keep up.

It's not a case of "keep them forever" or "lift them all by the end of the month" and those are the only two options. There's a lot of middleground between those positions and that's where the answer will lie.

I wouldn’t mind the social distance thing of 2m.

I could go about my business and life that life.

Life at the minute is spending every spare minute arguing with anonymous strangers online

Life at the minute is spending every spare minute arguing with anonymous strangers online[/QUOTE]

Then do something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

I don't understand. He asked what "short-term" means, and I said "weeks" rather than months or years.

It seems Lainey has it rough.. living in cramped conditions, worrying about the pandemic, worrying about their own mental health while trying to rationalise what’s going on. It’s a time where people should try to empathises not fight with each other.

Life at the minute is spending every spare minute arguing with anonymous strangers online[/QUOTE]

Then do something else?

Like what?

Did you not hear about some flu thing up the country?

We can do nothin

Like what?

Did you not hear about some flu thing up the country?

We can do nothin

Read a book. Do some yoga. Call a friend. Mix yourself a tasty beverage. Masturbate. Watch your favourite movie. Watch a new movie. Do an online exercise class.

Read a book. Do some yoga. Call a friend. Mix yourself a tasty beverage. Masturbate. Watch your favourite movie. Watch a new movie. Do an online exercise class.

Word of warning: doing all of these at the same time is very difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Some economist goon on the radio earlier also said it’s a depression coming not a recession, I turned off the radio then!!!

Yeah heard same something akin to 1920s depression, wouldn’t blame you for turning off radio, gradually and carefully opening ourselves back up could stem this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

KinKy III :D

never_mind wrote: »

Worth an attempt though.

• Advertisement

Finally something we can agree on.

All at once?

Maybe I’ll space it out, very hard concentrate on a movie doing all the rest!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

No, and I didn't say that.

Try and keep up.

It's not a case of "keep them forever" or "lift them all by the end of the month" and those are the only two options. There's a lot of middleground between those positions and that's where the answer will lie.

What's the middle ground for you and your parents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

never_mind wrote: »

Speak for yourself :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Yes??

Im aware of how this works.

Therefore you realise that it's not actually cheap?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Speak for yourself :pac:

I’ll try in the morning.

I lost my car keys running tonight. So new rule everyone: don’t leave the house. Ever. Even if it is to burn the million calories you’ve eaten in baked goods over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Logan Roy wrote: »
    You were saying there a lot so I was wondering where you meant.

Really 1 word and you have to be at the grammar. I am so sorry I hope I did not ruin your evening. I do apologize I have dyslexia. I will endevour to do better

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

niallo27 wrote: »
    You do realise that would probably mean a full lockdown for 6 to 9 months before we see no more icu admissions. How will the normal joe pay his mortgage in 9 months. Can normal people do this for 9 months.

Full lockdown for 6 months and most companies will go under, even the ones that are doing fine today would'nt be able to keep the wolf from the door that long. You would have half the country on the dole be like the 1500's.

We have to open back at some point, risks will have to be taking at some point its just about timing.

What's the middle ground for you and your parents?

I've been very open about this: I don't have the answers. Anyone who thinks they do is kidding themselves.

This is an unprecedented situation and I am relying on people with much greater expertise than myself to make the decisions. They might not get all of it right all of the time, but I think they'll get most of it right most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Don't worry lads if there's a depression that means we'll be guaranteed someone will save us by building motorways and job guarantees followed by military armament and looking for some lebensraum after all a good world war is how we got out of the last one :D

Heil Mary Lou!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement