Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Do the new powers expire monday at 23:59 or do they continue if lockdown is extended regardless

Honestly the amount of young ones floatiing around housing estates along with air and ferry ports being open, gardai and government have to cover these avenues as well rather then just police the roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

ITman88 wrote: »
    All at once?

Maybe I’ll space it out, very hard concentrate on a movie doing all the rest!!

Well a movie of a particular genre and masturbation go hand in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Don't worry lads if there's a depression that means we'll be guaranteed someone will save us by building motorways and job guarantees followed by military armament and looking for some lebensraum after all a good world war is how we got out of the last one :D

Heil Mary Lou!

Bressie will save us from depression, don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

C__MC wrote: »
    Do the new powers expire monday at 23:59 or do they continue if lockdown is extended regardless

Honestly the amount of young ones floatiing around housing estates along with air and ferry ports being open, gardai and government have to cover these avenues as well rather then just police the roads

Ferry ports and airports can’t close... we need stuff from abroad! Check out the radar apps.. not a plane in the sky

KiKi III wrote: »
    I've been very open about this: I don't have the answers. Anyone who thinks they do is kidding themselves.

This is an unprecedented situation and I am relying on people with much greater expertise than myself to make the decisions. They might not get all of it right all of the time, but I think they'll get most of it right most of the time.

Just out of curiousity who are these people with much greater expertise you wish to defer too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

C__MC wrote: »

My impression is that these measures were brought in to stop people going mad over bank holiday weekend and get the message out in advance.

My feeling is that some restrictions will slowly be lifted from next week, not in any way getting back to 'normal' but slowly letting more businesses reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I don’t want to dampen your spirits but I think holidays abroad are off the radar for a few decades

I would not say that long

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

My impression is that these measures were brought in to stop people going mad over bank holiday weekend and get the message out in advance.

My feeling is that some restrictions will slowly be lifted from next week, not in any way getting back to 'normal' but slowly letting more businesses reopen.

I do agree here, unless the ICUs come under serious pressure in the next few days

No way will it go that long. I’ve friends in air travel and all are kinda thinking July/August for ‘normal’ flights but it won’t be a full schedule.

I can see nobody having confidence to fly for a long time, there is no way the airline industry will survive with planes grounded.

I think cheap flying is gone for a considerable amount of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

They should be off the radar anyway

I think we'll see a change in attitude after this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Just out of curiousity who are these people with much greater expertise you wish to defer too?

Doctors, epidemiologists, healthy policy officials, economists, analysts, senior civil servants. People who have significant academic qualifications backed up by decades of experience in their fields.

Why, who do you think should be making the decisions?

rafatoni wrote: »
    Full lockdown for 6 months and most companies will go under, even the ones that are doing fine today would'nt be able to keep the wolf from the door that long. You would have half the country on the dole be like the 1500's.

We have to open back at some point, risks will have to be taking at some point its just about timing.

Penny’s are the most valuable Irish company, and they are suggesting things ain’t good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Well I'll tell you if start allowing passenger flights and don't introduce mandatory 14 day quarantine at a hotel we may as well not have bloody bothered

Whatever China is like covering up if they hadn't done it they'd be riddled again

Penny’s are the most valuable Irish company, and they are suggesting things ain’t good.

I know it’s not their model but why the hell aren’t they delivering?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I can see nobody having confidence to fly for a long time, there is no way the airline industry will survive with planes grounded.

Thank Christ I booked my flights before all this. Doh!

Doctors, epidemiologists, healthy policy officials, economists, analysts, senior civil servants. People who have significant academic qualifications backed up by decades of experience in their fields.

I would say doctor/economists.

Health does not exist without wealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

That's all well and fine but unfortunately nobody has any experience of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well I'll tell you if start allowing passenger flights and don't introduce mandatory 14 day quarantine at a hotel we may as well not have bloody bothered

Will there not be quick turnaround tests available fairly soon? They would make the business of screening those coming in so much easier...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

History is littered with examples of the populace burning experts at the stake. In the end, the politicians will be led by the people... as always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I'll be going on holidays the first opportunity I get.

In fact ill he taking multiple holidays once this is over.

I've been saving a fortune this past few weeks, can't wait to blow it.

never_mind wrote: »
    I know it’s not their model but why the hell aren’t they delivering?!

The amount of s*** my other half would buy off them if they delivered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Some of the major parks in London are reopening this weekend.

Looks like the Boards.ie lockdown fanatics were totally wrong. As I tried to explain, shutting down open spaces in an overcrowded city where so many people live in high rises without gardens or balconies only moves the problem elsewhere - to the pavements and streets. Overcrowded footpaths with people exercising on them are a far greater danger and risk than a few people having a picnic or hanging around for a chat.

At least the councils are seeing sense. Closing parks was a huge mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Read a book. Do some yoga. Call a friend. Mix yourself a tasty beverage. Masturbate. Watch your favourite movie. Watch a new movie. Do an online exercise class.

Someone told me Monday, someone told me Saturday
    Wait until tomorrow and there's still no way
    Read it in a book or write it in a letter
    Wake up in the morning and there's still no guarantee

The government is basing it's actions predominantly on the advice chiefly of the CMO and his team,Mr Holohan. This is the same person who castigated the nursing homes association for its unilateral decision to restrict visiting. He asked them to lift the restrictions as he felt they were not warranted. Where at present this is where the majority of the clusters and deaths are happening. He got the advice spectacularly wrong then.

polesheep wrote: »
    History is littered with examples of the populace burning experts at the stake. In the end, the politicians will be led by the people... as always.

Can you give me a few recent examples of this in the Western world? Might be true of China or maybe Saudi, haven't seen it happen in Europe in some time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Will there not be quick turnaround tests available fairly soon? They would make the business of screening those coming in so much easier...

Certainly would.

One would tell if positive, another hopefully if you've had it

However a grey area id worry is te test to check if you are currently positive tell might not be able to detect if you were only infected within the previous day etc? Could be dodgey

Then you'd worry about faulty tests, imagine some yank gets all clear and tours the country

Oberkon wrote: »
    Someone told me Monday, someone told me Saturday
    Wait until tomorrow and there's still no way
    Read it in a book or write it in a letter
    Wake up in the morning and there's still no guarantee

Had to google that, thought you lost the plot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Had to google that, thought you lost the plot!

Couldn’t resist it , suits the mood

• Advertisement

The government is basing it's actions predominantly on the advice chiefly of the CMO and his team,Mr Holohan. This is the same person who castigated the nursing homes association for its unilateral decision to restrict visiting. He asked them to lift the restrictions as he felt they were not warranted. Where at present this is where the majority of the clusters and deaths are happening. He got the advice spectacularly wrong then.

There undoubtedly have been and will be mistakes. It's bound to happen in a situation without precedent.

But who else would you have the government take its advice from? Random posters on Boards?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement