Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I'll be going on holidays the first opportunity I get.

In fact ill he taking multiple holidays once this is over.

I've been saving a fortune this past few weeks, can't wait to blow it.

As long as you are whisked off to a hotel to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive at your destination plus another 14 when you return home then go hard at em boyo! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

KiKi III wrote: »
    Can you give me a few recent examples of this in the Western world? Might be true of China or maybe Saudi, haven't seen it happen in Europe in some time?

Mussolini?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

never_mind wrote: »
    No way will it go that long. I’ve friends in air travel and all are kinda thinking July/August for ‘normal’ flights but it won’t be a full schedule.

Agree. There might be quarantine restrictions in place, but there's no way global travel will just be halted. We've come way too far for that.

Remember that the Olympics are rescheduled for next July, and all involved, on the advice on experts, are satisfied that things will be back to normal by then, and will have been for quite some time. I have a friend working for a major airline and he reckons things will be largely back to normal in the autumn, with business flights starting up before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

The government is basing it's actions predominantly on the advice chiefly of the CMO and his team,Mr Holohan.

That’s a worry if it’s all been medical advice only across Europe.

If so, it’s a complete risk averse response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

ITman88 wrote: »
    That’s a worry if it’s all been medical advice only across Europe.

If so, it’s a complete risk averse response.

Why wouldn't we be choosing a risk-averse response? Seems like the sensible approach. Is a once in a century pandemic really the time to start experimenting with risky choices?

• Advertisement

Agree. There might be quarantine restrictions in place, but there's no way global travel will just be halted. We've come way too far for that.

Remember that the Olympics are rescheduled for next July, and all involved, on the advice on experts, are satisfied that things will be back to normal by then, and will have been for quite some time. I have a friend working for a major airline and he reckons things will be largely back to normal in the autumn, with business flights starting up before then.

I do hope you are right Lainey, the world was very small and I would like it to remain that way.

However they suggest many airlines will collapse by May.

I can’t see many having confidence to fly in 3 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Some of the major parks in London are reopening this weekend.

Looks like the Boards.ie lockdown fanatics were totally wrong. As I tried to explain, shutting down open spaces in an overcrowded city where so many people live in high rises without gardens or balconies only moves the problem elsewhere - to the pavements and streets. Overcrowded footpaths with people exercising on them are a far greater danger and risk than a few people having a picnic or hanging around for a chat.

At least the councils are seeing sense. Closing parks was a huge mistake.

I don't think the UK's thinking on this should be held up as an example, predicted to have the worst death toll in Europe out the back of this. 900+ dead today alone. But yeah open up the parks lol

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/08/police-chiefs-call-on-no-10-to-tighten-uk-lockdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

There undoubtedly have been and will be mistakes. It's bound to happen in a situation without precedent.

But who else would you have the government take its advice from? Random posters on Boards?

You think advising nursing homes to lift the visiting restrictions despite the residents of same being the most vulnerable was just a mistake?
    I don't need to be an expert to know that if you see evidence from a different jurisdiction as to what demographic is most at risk you move fast to protect and isolate them. This wasn't done despite afore knowledge.

Mussolini?

Fair enough, so pre-WW2, establishment of the EU etc? Doubt we're heading that direction again any time soon.

You think advising nursing homes to lift the visiting restrictions despite the residents of same being the most vulnerable was just a mistake?
    I don't need to be an expert to know that if you see evidence from a different jurisdiction as to what demographic is most at risk you move fast to protect and isolate them. This wasn't done despite afore knowledge.

So who do you think should be making the decisions? (Third time asking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Witcher wrote: »
    I don't think the UK's thinking on this should be held up as an example, predicted to have the worst death toll in Europe out the back of this. 900+ dead today alone. But yeah open up the parks lol

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/08/police-chiefs-call-on-no-10-to-tighten-uk-lockdown

Who cares about deaths if you can have a picnic though?

The "herd immunity" was a rip roaring success the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Jesus while I know you can't continue lockdown indefinitely I'd think that's a bad move

Unless the police will be patroling to break any large gatherings?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why wouldn't we be choosing a risk-averse response? Seems like the sensible approach.

Indeed I wonder if the initial recommendation on nursing homes was a product of medical experts not being risk-averse enough, trying too hard to be 'sensitive to political concerns'. The pols should have been emphasising "You tell us what's the optimum course of action for a purely public health perspective, let us worry about the political fallout."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Disaster for London with the summer temperatures too this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The Olympics have been rescheduled for July 2021

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

I do hope you are right Lainey, the world was very small and I would like it to remain that way.

Airline industry is utterly finished without a massive bailout. A week of Icelandic ash nearly did for them and that was just northern europe. Were going on three weeks of this now, with 0 customers.

I can see it. Plenty of people were happy to keep flying and travelling right up until the lockdown was announced. Lots of people are happy to take the risk if it means they get to go where they want to.

Lots of vouchers have been issued as well, which should go at least some way to helping airlines stay afloat. Most people I know had holidays booked over the next 2-3 months, and almost all of them have accepted vouchers and hope to travel as soon as it's feasible.

Has it not occurred to you that closing down places is making the problem worse?

Let me see, we could keep parks open so people can exercise safely and keep distance, or we could close them all, so that every frail 90-year-old heading to the shops for food has to contend with joggers panting in their face, and nobody has any space at all to walk in.

Glad you're not in charge.

ZX7R wrote: »
    The Olympics have been rescheduled for July 2021

Yeah, it's almost like.....that's exactly what I said? :confused:

Jesus while I know you can't continue lockdown indefinitely I'd think that's a bad move

Unless the police will be patroling to break any large gatherings?

It'll be a good experiment for sure, in a months time it'll come home to roost, or not.

Has it not occurred to you that closing down places is making the problem worse?

Let me see, we could keep parks open so people can exercise safely and keep distance, or we could close them all, so that every frail 90-year-old heading to the shops for food has to contend with joggers panting in their face, and nobody has any space at all to walk in.

Glad you're not in charge.

No it hasn't actually because that's a f'ing moronic way of thinking.

If the joggers and every other flute out for a jollier stayed in their gaff like they're supposed to as well there wouldn't be that issue. Stay in your f'ing house, out for food or medical supplies otherwise stay in.

But sure open the parks then more people will become infected and more will die..the best strategy according to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Can you give me a few recent examples of this in the Western world? Might be true of China or maybe Saudi, haven't seen it happen in Europe in some time?

Ask Simon Harris. Bar Covid 19 arriving he'd be charcoal by now.

Think of experts as being like your GP. He/She tells you to stop smoking or you will die. You stop smoking for a few weeks. Then the doubts start to creep in. You start to think what's life if I can't have the odd smoke. Very soon you find yourself thinking "Doctors don't know everything."

But sure open the parks then more people will become infected and more will die..the best strategy according to you.

Is there not a chance that won’t happen if people limit their contact with vulnerable people?

I’ve a number of vulnerable relatives who I purposely haven’t spoken to since early March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

If the joggers and every other flute out for a jollier stayed in their gaff like they're supposed to as well there wouldn't be that issue. Stay in your f'ing house, out for food or medical supplies otherwise stay in.

The official UK government line on it is that you can leave your house for one form of exercise a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Would ya stop. We are all entitled to rxcercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yes we clarified a masturbation challenge earlier. Thats allowable.

polesheep wrote: »

Think of experts as being like your GP. He/She tells you to stop smoking or you will die. You stop smoking for a few weeks. Then the doubts start to creep in. You start to think what's life if I can't have the odd smoke. Very soon you find yourself thinking "Doctors don't know everything."

In fairness, that's a terrible example. Edit: that I've obviously failed to see the humour in, whoops.

Logan Roy wrote: »
    The official UK government line on it is that you can leave your house for one form of exercise a day.

Yeah and there were 900+ deaths there today and the leader of the country is in ICU with the virus after playing it down. Let's not follow the UK too closely on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yes we clarified a masturbation challenge earlier. Thats allowable.

Probably going to lose 4 stone through this. And richer cause I’ve no boozer to go to.

Do burpees in your house so. Don't be increasing the risks.

• Advertisement

polesheep wrote: »

If someone said last January, that Simon Harris popularity would skyrocket in 6/8 weeks, I’d of eaten my own underpants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement